Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Final Fantasy X is Coming to PlayStation Vita and PS3 in HD

Quote Originally Posted by ShinshoGurren View Post
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

It turns out the music in the game won't just be remastered but also remixed slightly. I never really thought about the music before this announcement, but it makes sense that they would do something like this since they did it to Kingdom Hearts. I'd love a new OST. I'm not sure if the Kingdom Hearts remaster got one, so I don't know whether Square Enix would release one for FFX, but if they don't, someone will rip the music anyway.
    Am I going to have to be that guy? [looks around] I guess I'm going to have to be that guy... [sigh]

All I can say is...this remaster looks disappointing. That battle theme didn't need a remaster. It shouldn't be overly dramatic with chimes and brass. That's just going to make it obnoxious because no one focuses on the music when they're in combat, they pay attention to the combat. The music should set the tone, not be overly dramatic. If Uematsu wanted to use chimes and brass, he easily could have. He chose not to for a reason; and I have more faith in Uematsu's judgement for a musical song than in all of Square-Enix. At least he puts out good products. Now let's look at the character HP and MP: it's barely visible on the new version! Seriously, it'll cause eye-strain and is unnecessarily small. And the font they use for the damage numbers and for the word "OVERKILL" are just way too cartoonish. And overall, I just don't see a bit of difference visually between the original and the remastered versions unless they're side by side! Everything looks exactly the same: characters, weapons, enemies, landscape. I'm not asking for them to change everything--temperance is a good thing. But if I just saw the remastered version, I wouldn't say, "Hey, that looks really good, is that in HD or remastered?" The only thing that would tip you off would be the different font they used, or the different music... are they compensating for not making the remaster look any different? Now yes, I did notice Valefor has slightly more detail in the wings, and I guess the energy bit for charging looks a tiny bit amplified in the remaster, but tell me, is that worth $60?

It's not worth it if you already own both games and aren't a hardcore fan. If you haven't played both games, $60 is a fair price for two games (and an artbook if you get the special edition). Hardcore fans like me are going to go for the international versions of both games as well as that epilogue thing they're doing. But if you're neither, there's not much in it for justify $60.

I agree with you on the new text, though. The old text had a certain charm about it. Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

The only reason I'm excited about the new music, even though it's just some embellishments added on to the old music, is that I've listened to the old music so much that I'm a bit tired of it. At any rate, the melodies are still there.

Your post got me thinking that FFX and especially FFX-2 didn't really need remasters. Both games have aged pretty well in my opinion. Maybe in another ten years it would've been more worthwhile. But hey, Square wanted to make a quick buck, and there's just enough in there to make me want it. They sure are good at what they do.

So who's psyched for the game?

I'll admit I've been a bit enticed into playing it; I've beat 10, but I've never really played X-2 so I'm a little on the fence whether or not I should grab it.

Also if I'm not mistaken the remastered versions are $40, isn't it? Maybe that's just the price for the Vita version.

Troublesome Divine Flame MutsuMutsu's Avatar
    I usually play FFX yearly, but haven't done so from the day the first words of HD remaster came online. Soooo waiting for them!

Also, haven't played FFX-2 that much, but I remember the "class system" being great.

I am real super sand! Star Magician's Avatar
    It's tempting. I don't know if I'll get it because I exhausted X on the PS2. :P
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

For those who have this game- has anyone experienced the girls in X-2 speaking Japanese at times in battle?

I've googled around and it seems that it's only me and one other person who has experienced it. I was wondering if it was a glitch, or if the Japanese voices are in the coding or something and sneaking through...

Quote Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
    For those who have this game- has anyone experienced the girls in X-2 speaking Japanese at times in battle?

I've googled around and it seems that it's only me and one other person who has experienced it. I was wondering if it was a glitch, or if the Japanese voices are in the coding or something and sneaking through...
    I haven't started playing X-2 yet but on another forum I saw someone else talking about this as well so it seems there's definitely an issue with more than one copy.

...I have a feeling that might have been me on another forum as well...

It's not an issue as such, in fact it's kinda cool, but I was just wondering whether it was meant to be there or not...

Banned
    I can't even believe they're referring to this shitefest as a remake. Calling the Gameboy Advanced ports, remakes, is a far fairer venture if minimal tweaks count for anything at all. Nothing here constituted a full overhaul. Now everyone can enjoy their favourite girlyboy with a few added polygons. That's about it. Everything else is the same.

It's just as worthy of a cringe or three as the original smuck on PS2, with the same shortcomings, same terrible voice acting, and same abysmal sequel, now bundled together. This and Tomb Raider HD deserve the exact same tagline; "Because backwards compatibility would be lame."

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinshoGurren View Post
    It's not worth it if you already own both games and aren't a hardcore fan. If you haven't played both games, $60 is a fair price for two games (and an artbook if you get the special edition). Hardcore fans like me are going to go for the international versions of both games as well as that epilogue thing they're doing. But if you're neither, there's not much in it for justify $60.

I agree with you on the new text, though. The old text had a certain charm about it. Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

The only reason I'm excited about the new music, even though it's just some embellishments added on to the old music, is that I've listened to the old music so much that I'm a bit tired of it. At any rate, the melodies are still there.

Your post got me thinking that FFX and especially FFX-2 didn't really need remasters. Both games have aged pretty well in my opinion. Maybe in another ten years it would've been more worthwhile. But hey, Square wanted to make a quick buck, and there's just enough in there to make me want it. They sure are good at what they do.
    Thing is that it's the international/last mission version that got remastered not the standard western version. FFX-2 has last mission and the extra dresspheres. I only paid $40 for it...where in the world did you get $60 as the price of FFX/X-2 Remaster? That looks like the price that KHII.5 ReMIX is gonna get.

On another note I don't see the characters speaking Japanese as an issue. I would have liked the Japanese voices being an option as I would have liked to hear the remaster of Koda Kumi's songs. I thought the English voice for the Songstress Dressphere was kind of lacking somewhere...and I didn't like it much...I stopped watching those clips after a few seconds of hearing the vocals...then I went back and forced myself to listen to it.

I didn't really see it as an issue, the Japanese voices, I was just wondering what they were doing there!

Quote Originally Posted by KujiSephBallad View Post
    Thing is that it's the international/last mission version that got remastered not the standard western version. FFX-2 has last mission and the extra dresspheres. I only paid $40 for it...where in the world did you get $60 as the price of FFX/X-2 Remaster? That looks like the price that KHII.5 ReMIX is gonna get.
    I'm pretty sure $60 was being tossed around on a few sites before it got released (look at the date of my post). I only paid $40 for it as well.

The differences in the international versions aren't all that considerable. If you thought the games were just okay when they came out, you're probably going to feel the same way now, extras and all. I'd say that if you enjoyed the games and haven't played them in a while, $40 is a fair price for two games, slightly expanded/remastered from their original releases.
    Last edited by ShinshoGurren; 05-31-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Onion Kid
    The Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD Remaster is also coming to PlayStation 4.

I'm OK with this. I'm hoping RPGs become more popular again with gamers.

In order for this to happen we just plain need more of them.

Onion Kid
    While re-releasing the game on several different platforms seems like overkill to some extent, there's nothing wrong with trying to attract more gamers to the Final Fantasy franchise by giving them the opportunity to play games that they may not have access to in their original format.

I am real super sand! Star Magician's Avatar
    I wish they made the NPC's look better too instead of just the party characters. It looks really weird and was kinda disappointing...

Onion Kid
    Wow, can't wait.