Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the greatest score ever made (poll)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterZPrime View Post
    I'll have to say since I'm younger I don't have as much appreciation for older scores (a few but not alot) My list will go as follows:

Inception
    The Dark Knight
    At World's End

Sherlock Holmes
    Music from Lost and Fringe
    Harry Potter (The ones by john williams, oh course!)

I'd also do an honorable mention for brian tyler
    Same here mate, quite a few young ones like me and you
    I will have to go with:
    1. Lair-John Debney (LISTENING TO THIS AND THIS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    2. ALL DA STAR WARS! (DUR-Joh Williams)
    3. Transformers (the first one) Steve Jablonsky
    4. Inception/The Dark Knight/Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Main Themes/Sherlock Holmes/DKNTR/SHGoSH/TLS hanz zimmer!
    5. Star trek (2009)Michael Giacchino (super 8 too)
    And an honorable mention to Lorne Balfe (MW2), Brian Tyler (Fast 5), Thomas Newman (The Adjustment Beuraue) , jeremy Soule (Elder Scrolls) and of course Marti O' Donnel and Micheal salvatori (HALO)

Grand Shriner
    1. Star Trek :the Motion Picture
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Krull

But I feel that list should include Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters, King Kong(1933), Ben Hur, A Big Country and so on.

Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon Gordian Knot's Avatar
    I cannot answer the question as it is posed. What parameters are you using as your definition for "Greatest Score Ever Made"? There have obviously been numerous scores, many mentioned already, that are epic. That comes down to a personal preference. So what makes the Best Score? Are you asking about the greatest score ever composed for pure listening enjoyment? Are you asking about scores that have been most essential to the greatness of the film? Or is it another parameter I haven't thought of yet.
    Life is not meant to be easy, but it IS meant to be fun.

I tried to minimize the list as best as I could, and this is what I got.

Battlestar Galactica by Richard Gibbs and Bear McCreary
    Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman
    The Fountain by Clint Mansell
    Blade Runner by Vangelis
    Doctor Who by Murray Gold
    The Lord of the Rings by Howard Shore
    Mission to Mars by Ennio Morricone
    The Social Network by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
    Sunshine by John Murphy & Underworld
    Star Wars by John Williams
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Nicholas Hooper
    Star Trek: Insurrection by Jerry Goldsmith
    Donnie Darko by Michael Andrews
    Complete Score Wishlist:

James Horner - Romeo & Juliet (Rejected)
    John Williams - Prisoner of Azkaban, The Force Awakens
    Ghost in the Shell - Clint Mansell; The Fall - Krishna Levy; Hulk by Mychael Danna (rejected); 300: Rise Of An Empire by Federico Jusid (rejected)

A fan of grand orchestral music tri2061990's Avatar
    My opinion
    _John Williams-Star Wars IV,V;Jaws;Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    _Howard Shore-LOTR I,II,III
    _Miklos Rozsa-Ben Hur,El Cid,Spellbound
    _Sergei Prokofiev-Alexander Nevsky,Ivan the Terrible
    _Ernest Gold-Exodus
    _Dimitri Tiomkin-Alamo
    _Jerry Goldsmith-Basic Instinct,Omen
    _Basil Poledouris-Conan

Shriner
    John Williams: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Superman, Star Wars;
    Bernard Hermann - Psycho, Vertigo;
    Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek TMP;
    Elmer Bernstein - The Ten Commandments.

Quote Originally Posted by tri2061990 View Post
    My opinion
    _John Williams-Star Wars IV,V;Jaws;Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    _Howard Shore-LOTR I,II,III
    _Miklos Rozsa-Ben Hur,El Cid,Spellbound
    _Sergei Prokofiev-Alexander Nevsky,Ivan the Terrible
    _Ernest Gold-Exodus
    _Dimitri Tiomkin-Alamo
    _Jerry Goldsmith-Basic Instinct,Omen
    _Basil Poledouris-Conan
    Finally someone that has a wider more diverse pre 1975 conception of what makes a great soundtrack and not just something that reminds them of their first date etc.

my list will be totally boring and predictable but i can't remain silent on this

john williams: the empire strikes back, E.T., superman, indiana jones and the temple of doom, or empire of the sun
    john barry: walkabout, king kong, dances with wolves, on her majesty's secret service, or the lion in winter
    jerry: star trek the motion picture, planet of the apes, the burbs, total recall, air force one, or first blood (fuck it, let's just say every goldsmith score is the greatest)
    ennio: for a few dollars more, untouchables, or the mission
    air: the virgin suicides
    nino rota: the godfather part ii
    giorgio moroder: scarface
    howard shore: the two towers
    horner: star trek ii or braveheart
    danny elfman: batman, spider-man, edward scissorhands, peewee's big adventure, beetlejuice, and just about everything he did before 2000
    maurice jarre: lawrence of arabia, enemy mine, or mad max beyond thunderdome
    vangelis: blade runner
    walter carlos: a clockwork orange
    bernard herrman: psycho
    max steiner: king kong
    james newton howard: king kong

i know it's crazy long but i can't pick just one by each, too hard

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    my list will be totally boring and predictable but i can't remain silent on this

john williams: the empire strikes back, E.T., superman, indiana jones and the temple of doom, or empire of the sun
    john barry: walkabout, king kong, dances with wolves, on her majesty's secret service, or the lion in winter
    jerry: star trek the motion picture, planet of the apes, the burbs, total recall, air force one, or first blood (fuck it, let's just say every goldsmith score is the greatest)
    ennio: for a few dollars more, untouchables, or the mission
    air: the virgin suicides
    giorgio moroder: scarface
    howard shore: the two towers
    horner: star trek ii or braveheart
    danny elfman: batman, spider-man, edward scissorhands, peewee's big adventure, beetlejuice, and just about everything he did before 2000
    maurice jarre: lawrence of arabia, enemy mine, or mad max beyond thunderdome
    vangelis: blade runner
    walter carlos: a clockwork orange
    bernard herrman: psycho
    max steiner: king kong
    james newton howard: king kong

i know it's crazy long but i can't pick just one by each, too hard
    so i narrowed it down to these three:

john williams: the empire strikes back
    john barry: dances with wolves

I'm so glad I'm not young anymore. JonC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    I cannot answer the question as it is posed. What parameters are you using as your definition for "Greatest Score Ever Made"? There have obviously been numerous scores, many mentioned already, that are epic. That comes down to a personal preference. So what makes the Best Score? Are you asking about the greatest score ever composed for pure listening enjoyment? Are you asking about scores that have been most essential to the greatness of the film? Or is it another parameter I haven't thought of yet.
    What he said.
    JonC
    Do to changes in my schedule, I am not able to do uploads, renew links or fulfill requests at this time. I will resume uploads if and when the situation changes.

Grand Shriner
    Too many great ones to mention but Lord of the Rings is by far the greatest ever for me, made me really take a liking to film music and all the emotion from Return of the King is a result of the music.

I'd say The Mummy Returns too as it's a thrilling masterpiece from the first note to the last.

Also there's the pirates scores that are just plain fun, even tho On Stranger Tides wasn't the best film, the score just made it enjoyable nonetheless.

Shriner
    I'm new to the score scene so don't shoot me . Slowly going back to the good ones, but I still lack an appreciation for the majority of them.

1. John Powell – How to Train Your Dragon
    2. Bear McCreary – Battlestar Galactica
    3. Murray Gold – Doctor Who
    4. Patrick Doyle – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    5. Hans Zimmer – Sherlock Holmes
    6. James Newton Howard – Blood Diamond
    7. Tan Dun – Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    8. Brian Tyler – Children of Dune
    9. John Williams – Jurassic Park
    10. Danny Elfman – Black Beauty

All personal preference based on enjoyment while listening. Not for how well they works with their films, nor for their technical merits.
    Looking for FLAC:

None! You guys rock.

Nothing will stand in our way ygmmasta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    My true intention while creating this thread was actually getting to know what's the greatest score in people's opinion.

We can't say objectively which score is the best because what for one is great for somebody else could be totally crappy
    And the reason people give their opinions here is they have opinions and that's what this all is about.
    Of course there are soundtracks like Star Wars or LOTR which are mentioned repeatedly. This is pehaps a sign that the winner is emerging from this variety of choices
    To sum up - let's make people's tastes the best definition and parameter on that matter And as I said the statistics will do the rest.

Not to get off-topic, let me throw in my two cents too:

- Star Wars, Jurassic Park (for the main theme mmmmm...

- LOTR (many people actually consider it the greatest score of all times )

- Hooper's Harry Potters (yea I know, I know...;])

- Debney's Evan Almighty

- Angels in America and How To Make An American Quilt (Thomas Newman. In fact, this guy makes a really good music)

- Ladder 49 (William Ross - and this guy is soooo underappreciated)

And, of course, how could I not mention Zimmer - everything he touches turns to gold

Nicholas Hooper's work on Potter is definitely underrated. Order of the Phoenix definitely is a masterpiece. I'll have to add that to my stack, as well.

it mostly depends on when you were brought up. For me I was brought up on movies mostly from the 70┤s and 80┤s and there┤s where my fave music is from too...

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
    i have not really, really listened to anything pre, say, '75 or so. :/ So, I can only speak from what I know. But, these newer scores being mentioned, like Transformers and such, I don't see how those can be called the best scores of all time. As a personal favorite, I can dig it, but as technical works outside of personal interests, I just don't see it.
    This is exactly my point. Most of it comes down to personal preference. Transformers is clearly not the best score ever written for reasons too obvious to state (although I do enjoy the first one a lot). The best we can do is say "This is the best score I've heard because [...]".

I'm being pedantic, I know, and these types of discussions are just a bit of fun... but I admit I'm not a fan of emphatically stating one score above all others as "THE best" ever written. I don't think such a thing exists (I find it hard enough to choose a personal favourite!). I do believe many scores are objectively better than others, certainly - Herrmann's Citizen Kane is both infinitely more original, intricate and complex than Transformers. It IS a better score. But it just doesn't necessarily mean it's more enjoyable. And I think that's what most of these choices boil down to. Anyone who seriously thinks Transformers is the best score ever written is profoundly na´ve.

PS I understand the point of this thread, so don't think I'm trying to poop all over it! It's always an interesting topic. I'm just throwing in my two cents about the difference between quantifiable merits and qualitative reasons for particular choices.

Quote Originally Posted by WildwoodPark View Post
    Finally someone that has a wider more diverse pre 1975 conception of what makes a great soundtrack and not just something that reminds them of their first date etc.
    I haven't heard a lot of "golden age" scores, but I don't rank these on the same line as those I nominated. they play in another league. As far as older movies are concerned, I have preference for the works of Frank Skinner and Hans Skinner. Also the music James Bernard composed for many Hammer films are favorites of mine.

Body Heat - J. Barry
    Psycho - B. Herrmann
    Omen I-III - J. Goldsmith

Nothing will stand in our way ygmmasta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayEdwards View Post
    Nicholas Hooper's work on Potter is definitely underrated. Order of the Phoenix definitely is a masterpiece. I'll have to add that to my stack, as well.
    I completely agree with you. It's a shame there's no complete score or even recording session out there...

Quote Originally Posted by ygmmasta View Post
    I completely agree with you. It's a shame there's no complete score or even recording session out there...
    Yeah. The only expanded stuff I could find were DVD rips.

1-Superman, The Movie
    2-Stae Trek, The Motion Picture
    3-Stargate Atlantis

ooops!
    1-Superman, The Movie
    2-Star Trek, The Motion Picture
    3-Stargate Atlantis

Onion Kid
    Psycho

The Lion In Winter

Jaws

Grand Shriner
    Star wars Ep3
    The Lord of the rings of course (All of them)
    The Bourne Trilogy
    I love the work of Alan Silvestri for Predator and Beowulf
    And...well, this is too hard. There are too many titles for soundtracks lovers :-)

For a movie's score, I like "The Great Mouse Detective" (1986 Disney film)'s score. I also like scores from other older Disney films, like "101 Dalmatians" and "The Jungle Book". I hate the modern-age stuff like "Hannah Montana", though.

"To Ratigan, the world's greatest ra-"