Thread: Hitoshi Sakimoto & Masaharu Iwata - Revolter (PC-88)

Hitoshi Sakimoto & Masaharu Iwata - Revolter (PC-88)

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I thought I'd post something in celebration of the new year, so I decided on a preview from my upcoming Hitoshi Sakimoto megathread. This is the very first game Sakimoto ever worked on, and is apparently the first time he ever even wrote music. You can still detect in many of his tracks the beginning of what would become his signature style. It was Iwata's second composing job and the two split the duty fairly evenly. The music uses Sakimoto's now-famous Terpsichorean custom driver, which is well known for the quality of its sound and was even licensed for other games he had no involvement in.

Technical info:
    Spoiler!

I've included screenshots of the two composers' notes on the music they did. I know there is a decent amount of Japanese people on the forum here because of how many downloads from Japan the things I upload get. If someone could translate these I'd be crazy-ecstatic and grateful.

There are some songs here Sakimoto and Iwata arranged that are taken from other games and I've added the names, origins, and composers where I could, but I know 18 and 19 are taken from a Capcom game and I don't know which. Sakimoto mentions Section-Z in his notes but I can't find a match in either the arcade or NES versions of that soundtrack, so I guess they're not from there. Any help would be great. I think 25 is also from another game, but there are no notes for that or beyond. I'm pretty much positive the remaining three are original though: 26 being Iwata, and the others Sakimoto. There may be others, I don't know.

If there are any questions or comments, need help, etc., as always, just say the word. Happy new year, folks!
    Relatively rare soundtracks:

You are my hero! Thanks for uploading this!!!

Yeah I was also looking for the music of this game. Thanks

Onion Kid
    Thanks for the rip! I tracked down the game and may write some more about it on my website.

Also, the Capcom game the bonus tracks are from is Ares no Tsubasa / Legendary Wings

Hey, thanks! I've re-uploaded with updated the tags and file names now and anyone who downloaded before who wants to add that to theirs, the titles for 18 and 19 are Ares no Tsubasa BGM1 and 2 and the composer is Tamayo Kawamoto.

And track 28 is apparently called "Native Attack". Don't know how I didn't see that before.

stop PM for re-up, ask on board. Simon B's Avatar
    haha, you read us at the shmup thread
    we are just talking about this game with KenshinXSlayer n_n.

nice nothingtosay, i hot-link your thread in the shmup thread.
    thanks.
    ‫‬  [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

stop PM for re-up, ask on board. Simon B's Avatar

hey dude if you have not ripped this game yet, i did a FLAC rip just for you & your project.

I actually did do it and all the other PC-88/98 soundtracks they composed for.

Onion Kid
    Thanks so much for sharing this.

nothingtosay, do you still have this somewhere? i cant get it to work in hoot, it tells me "invalid driver"

Grand Shriner
    Reupload Please

i got the s98 set of it and converted it into vgm. the PSG is a bit loud, so it sounds sorta inaccurate, but if anybody wants this, i can upload.

Grand Shriner
    Yes, i want. Thanks.

PSG is a bit loud, because of some bug in the S98-VGM conversion process, but it's better than nothing! haha

Grand Shriner
    It's OK. But if someone have a better version upload it please.

nothingtosay, I don't know if you're still keeping tabs on this thread, but I'd like to know how you got this to play in hoot as well? Unlike d93, the proper song list loads up for me, but when I try to play it, nothing plays!

On a related note, almost all the other games that Sakimoto composed for don't work for me and I get "Invalid driver" for each of them, except for Barbatus, strangely enough. FYI I got the files from the snesmusic archive, and they're all PC-88.

@mudkipNDS I'm pretty sure the files are corrupted. I'll go ask Knurek to see if he can fix it. BTW Sakimoto just supplied the sound driver for Barbatus. ; )

Alright, cool, let me know if you come up with anything.
    LOSSLESS VGM REQUESTS

-[Hidden link. Register to see links.]