Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate this game????

Shriner
    ...well, whether a game (be it Final Fantasy or other) has a good story or not depends on personal taste, yes some stories have obvious flaws or bad writing, but you can enjoy a story and have someone else hate that same story.

Grand Shriner
    I got something to complain about on FFXIII:

Full recovery of hp/mp after battle.

This is seriously overpowered.

In the old games,you had to think ahead and bring potions and be prepared.

In FFXIII,you just run through mindlessly killing anything that gets in your way not even considering if you may need anti poison or resist vs mute or stuff like that.

I remember dying in FF1 on the nes because i didn't bring any pures when i was exploring the cave where you get the crown to figth astos.

Now Final Fantasy, that was a hard game.

XIII is like adding 2+2 in comparison.
    Sorry Player, I'm Noriega crossed with Schwarzenegger
    The orphan maker, orchestrate your fate in a torture chamber

I can understand healing after saving but no matter the game healing after a battle? That would have saved my ass many a time in Diablo II.

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    I remember dying in FF1 on the nes because i didn't bring any pures when i was exploring the cave where you get the crown to figth astos.
    ...and that was good was it...?

That was a gameplay flaw, not that I'm implying that healing after every battle is good, but loosing on the original FF because you had no way to know the enemies on the next dungeon used poison and had no way to get enough antidotes on said dungeon was frustrating.

There was no "real" strategy on the original FF anymore than on FFXIII, the way to beat it was to level up a lot, or retry a lot, since you could get lucky and have the dungeon "boss" forgeting to use his most powerful attack.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iddalai View Post

That was a gameplay flaw, not that I'm implying that healing after every battle is good, but loosing on the original FF because you had no way to know the enemies on the next dungeon used poison and had no way to get enough antidotes on said dungeon was frustrating.
    Speaking as a veteran RPG player, no matter what system, I always made sure I carried enough medicine (whether Potions, Phoenix Downs, Antidotes etc) I could carry. Made sense (and still does) to ensure you have a healthy supply of assorted medicine in your inventory, no matter what level you are etc. Common sense really.

There was no "real" strategy on the original FF anymore than on FFXIII, the way to beat it was to level up a lot, or retry a lot, since you could get lucky and have the dungeon "boss" forgeting to use his most powerful attack.
    Spending time leveling up your characters, while time consuming, does increase your chances of surviving what comes next. For example, in FFVIII, soon as I could get to the Islands closest to Heaven/Hell, I spent time leveling up there (same as in Breath of Fire II for example. Soon as you get the Whale, went straight to the northern most island and spent time killing mobs there). Once again... common sense.

But then...

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    [QUOTE=Darth Revan;1762915]

Spending time leveling up your characters, while time consuming, does increase your chances of surviving what comes next. For example, in FFVIII, soon as I could get to the Islands closest to Heaven/Hell, I spent time leveling up there (same as in Breath of Fire II for example. Soon as you get the Whale, went straight to the northern most island and spent time killing mobs there). Once again... common sense.

Thank you,you made my point for me.

Using antidotes out of battle,or something adds strategy and makes you think ahead instead of just rushing through.

The only reason to have potions is for inside battles and when they are particularly tough,and even then i never really used them because i could heal just fine.

For most of the part:FFXIII was unbalanced in difficulty,going towards ridiculously easy most of the time.

The adamantoise doesn't count since you are supposed to be prepared to fight them.

Shriner

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Revan View Post
    Common sense really.
    I don't really follow where you are trying to get with this.

Come on! Really, as if you were always a "veteran RPG player", I lost on FF as Nostalgia gamer did, you know it was hard to get enough money to buy supllies on the original FF, you're just bragging.

My point is that I can't see what's so great about loosing a lot on a game, so you beat FFXIII and rarely get to see a game over and that's bad? Why? I can't understand that, it' not like it's ridiculously easy. Take the MegaTen games per example, hardcore console RPG's, it's not fun at all to get to a boss and find out you'll have to grind for 2 hours or get a specific character/demon with specific skills to beat it.

I'm also experient in RPG's (both console and PC) and I hate grinding (although I do it when I have to), the way I see it overleveling removes whatever kind of strategy you may use in combat, I always try to beat RPG's with the lowest level possible, that forces me to be resourceful.

...leveling in FFVIII makes no sense, the enemies level up with you, all I needed were 100 high level magics (ultima, flare, holy) for each character (for ATK and HP) and I was ready to go. As for BoF2, yeah, tough grinding

I agree that in FFXIII you didn't need to plan ahead in terms of items, hell I only remember using them in the early stages. But the paradigms had to be changed around a lot on most dungeons and bosses. FFXIII wasn't hard, but it wasn't that easy! I also didn't use the auto-battle, they should have removed that option, that would have forced a lot of people to actually "think" in battle.

Common sense is not so common. Just like Voltaire once said.

I don't really follow where you are trying to get with this.

Come on! Really, as if you were always a "veteran RPG player", I lost on FF as Nostalgia gamer did, you know it was hard to get enough money to buy supllies on the original FF, you're just bragging.
    Well iddalai there are other RPG's available besides the FF series. Even when I first started playing computer RPG's on my old 386 PC (The game was Dark Knights of Krynn by SSI), I knew to always be prepared and had a good supply of medicine/curatives in my party inventory at any one time/or had a healer with the right spell lists. I say 'veteran RPG player', as I used to play the old AD&D roleplaying games in high school... and knew to always be prepared.

Yes it was hard to get money, but not impossible. Stop griping.

My point is that I can't see what's so great about loosing a lot on a game, so you beat FFXIII and rarely get to see a game over and that's bad? Why? I can't understand that, it' not like it's ridiculously easy. Take the MegaTen games per example, hardcore console RPG's, it's not fun at all to get to a boss and find out you'll have to grind for 2 hours or get a specific character/demon with specific skills to beat it.
    FFXIII was just terrible as a game. I've stated that too many times in this thread, and won't go into detail again. The MegaTen games, while they were good, I couldn't get into them, so I can't comment much on them. Besides, it makes sense to level up your characters as earlier RPG's didn't have the mobs level up with you per se, like they do in current games.

I'm also experient in RPG's (both console and PC) and I hate grinding (although I do it when I have to), the way I see it overleveling removes whatever kind of strategy you may use in combat, I always try to beat RPG's with the lowest level possible, that forces me to be resourceful.
    That's your perogative. I hate grinding as well, yet after playing FFXI (where you HAVE to grind to get to a level where you can get anything done) I can appreciate that grinding is a requirement in every RPG and instead of people complaining about it (which in any MMO there is ALWAYS people complaining about level grinding), just STFU, and go get it done.

...leveling in FFVIII makes no sense, the enemies level up with you, all I needed were 100 high level magics (ultima, flare, holy) for each character (for ATK and HP) and I was ready to go. As for BoF2, yeah, tough grinding
    Depends on the player. Speaking for myself, I leveled my squad to max level (even though the junction system made leveling more or less defunct in practice) for my own piece of mind.

BoFII was easy to level if you knew where to go though.

I agree that in FFXIII you didn't need to plan ahead in terms of items, hell I only remember using them in the early stages. But the paradigms had to be changed around a lot on most dungeons and bosses. FFXIII wasn't hard, but it wasn't that easy! I also didn't use the auto-battle, they should have removed that option, that would have forced a lot of people to actually "think" in battle.
    I won't comment anymore on FFXIII, as I've said above, I've already posted my comments about that.

Common sense is not so common. Just like Voltaire once said.
    True, Common sense may not be common... in some cases it's a rarity. So rare that it is a goddamn superpower.

Grand Shriner
    [QUOTE=Darth Revan;1763929]Well iddalai
    FFXIII was just terrible as a game. I've stated that too many times in this thread, and won't go into detail again. The MegaTen games, while they were good, I couldn't get into them, so I can't comment much on them. Besides, it makes sense to level up your characters as earlier RPG's didn't have the mobs level up with you per se, like they do in current games.

That's your perogative. I hate grinding as well

Depends on the player. Speaking for myself, I leveled my squad to max level (even though the junction system made leveling more or less defunct in practice) for my own piece of mind.

BoFII was easy to level if you knew where to go though.

1id you get to the overworld that is just a bunch of stupid sidequests?
    The part of FFXIII where it supposedly opens up? The game becomes pretty retarded there because its just a bunch of boring sidequests.

2:Money is very hard to come by in FFXIII,my advice:collect chips from the earlier stages of the game and farm them.

I know you said you hate grinding,but this would help you get money.

3:FF8 junction system sucks.
    The card game for me was much more fun than the actual shitty junction system which forces you to needlessly tedious in farming spells and grinding for hours to get ap for abilities so you can be left alone in peace.

Then the shitty card queen quest which i hate so much that i could kill the guy who made the damm thing,i've had to reset so many times that it just makes me angry thinking of it.

4:Yeah!! bof is very easy,but the series has always been really easy.
    Only thing you need to worry about,is having the right fusion or you will die.

Part of what pisses me off about FFXIII is how damm boring and linear most of the dungeons are,its likek i want to run through that dungeon where you are in what seemed to be a huge lot full of trash and possibly car parts or some shit like that.

I was like:Ok i want to get the hell out of here,i'm bored.

Shriner
    O_o

It's like some kind of crazy talk!

Those last comments made no sense!

Just a few things I find out of place:

-First Darth Revan tells me there are other RPGs besides FF, when I mentioned MegaTen...
    -Apparently you were born a veteran RPG player, wonder what other kinds of super powers you MUST have (besides the almighty common sense...), must be really hard to admit you once didn't now how to play RPGs, even in pen and paper (...which I also played, btw check out "Order Of The Stick" if you haven't already, you'll like it).
    - No one answers my question of "what's so great about loosing over and over again".
    - One doesn't need to play MegaTen games to know it's not fun to grind for hours to beat a boss... that's valid for all games.
    - Grindind is there to add fake gameplay time, it's not a part of RPGs, if the math is correct behing the games then you'll never need to grind (i.e.:Lost Odyssey, Bof: Dragon Quarter).
    - "the junction system made leveling more or less defunct in practice", but you still level them up!? Everytime I prick myself with a needle it hurts and bleeds, but I'll keep on doing it anyway. That's your prerogative.
    - "BoFII was easy to level if you knew where to go though." You already mentiond the giant monster island back there, any other reason to try and imply you're part of that group that "knows" where to level up? Even with that sweet spot it was still tough grinding. I spent hours there, it was not fun.
    - Sorry for try and make you comment on FFXIII, after all it's not like it's the topic here... Making comments on the game and then refusing to comment again goes against common sense, people back up their views to explain it to others, it's only natural. I understand you're tired of repeating yourself, well so am I.
    - Then Nostalgia gamer mentions how to get money on FFXIII, when I was talking about getting money on the original FF.
    - ...and goes on to say that "Yeah!! bof is very easy" when no one said that! And concludes by stating that you only need the right fusion, which makes no sense, either you're mixing MegaTen with BoF or you are thinking BoF 3, which used a different dragon system then the others, and no one talked about BoF 3 btw.

Shit bat crazy!

I quit people, really, I won't make any other comments, not when the replies make no
    Spoiler!
    sense.

Have fun.

Grand Shriner
    Then Nostalgia gamer mentions how to get money on FFXIII, when I was talking about getting money on the original FF.
    - ...and goes on to say that "Yeah!! bof is very easy" when no one said that! And concludes by stating that you only need the right fusion, which makes no sense, either you're mixing MegaTen with BoF or you are thinking BoF 3, which used a different dragon system then the others, and no one talked about BoF 3 btw.

I was giving advice on grinding for money and or xp as well to make FFXIII easier.

and the whole post was an answer to bof2 not bof3.

In bof2 you can lvl up to max lvl and still die in the final dungeon because the enemies cast death spell which insta kills you and have quite strong spells.

If you don't have the right fusions on bow and nina,it will be annoying.

And the FF8 answer obviously was towards the stupid fucking junction system.

Then I say this sounds like a damned RPG slapfight lol.

O_o

It's like some kind of crazy talk!

Those last comments made no sense!
    Because they don't concur with what you have stated? w/e

Just a few things I find out of place:

-First Darth Revan tells me there are other RPGs besides FF, when I mentioned MegaTen...
    I posted that in response to what was said in the quote box I quoted from you, iddalai. You mentioned MegaTen towards the end of the post, to which I addressed in that post.

-Apparently you were born a veteran RPG player, wonder what other kinds of super powers you MUST have (besides the almighty common sense...), must be really hard to admit you once didn't now how to play RPGs, even in pen and paper (...which I also played, btw check out "Order Of The Stick" if you haven't already, you'll like it).
    I never said that I never knew how to play RPG's,even in pen and paper. You made that assumption on your own. I would state that NOW, I AM a veteran RPG player, after playing numerous RPG's over the years. When I first started playing though, just like anyone would be with anything they start for the first time, I made mistakes etc. HOWEVER, even as a fledgling RPG player, it makes sense to have a healthy supply of medicine/restoratives in your inventory. If you think otherwise, that's your choice.

- No one answers my question of "what's so great about loosing over and over again".
    Losing in a battle is annoying, I admit that. However, the next time you fight what killed you, you can try something different and hopefully win. Case in point, when I got to the final boss's lair in Dragon Age: Origins for the first time, I died in about 5 minutes. However, the second time I fought it, I did some exploring of the battlefield BEFORE attacking the Archdemon itself... and subsequently was able to defeat it with ease. I use the same approach in every other RPG I've played... Save often and use each battle as a learning experience to plan accordingly, so if my party wipes, I can reload and try something different.

- One doesn't need to play MegaTen games to know it's not fun to grind for hours to beat a boss... that's valid for all games.
    Like I stated, I haven't played the MegaTen series and have no intention of doing so, so I can't comment about that series. While level grinding isn't fun, no matter if the RPG is a console RPG or MMORPG, it's a somewhat necessity to the game itself.

- Grindind is there to add fake gameplay time, it's not a part of RPGs, if the math is correct behing the games then you'll never need to grind (i.e.:Lost Odyssey, Bof: Dragon Quarter).
    If you don't like it, then blame the late Gary Gygax -the Father of Advanded Dungeons & Dragons- as ALL RPG's, when you get down to their core elements, were based on his blueprint for RPG's in the first place.

- "the junction system made leveling more or less defunct in practice", but you still level them up!? Everytime I prick myself with a needle it hurts and bleeds, but I'll keep on doing it anyway. That's your prerogative.
    We all play games differently. If you can't be bothered to play a game how it's supposed to be played, then go play something else and stop complaining.

- "BoFII was easy to level if you knew where to go though." You already mentiond the giant monster island back there, any other reason to try and imply you're part of that group that "knows" where to level up? Even with that sweet spot it was still tough grinding. I spent hours there, it was not fun.
    BoFII was easy to level... it also was easy to get the right equipment to make grinding easier, though still challenging. I'm 'part of that group that "knows" where to level up? Jesus, anyone with a brain can find easy places to level up, which work for THEM. That northern island is perfect for leveling at level 70+ imo, but before that, there are other areas in the world map easy to level. Just have to know where to go... Every RPG has at least one area that is good for leveling at a certain level. In MMORPG's, the areas are more easily defined as to where to level up, I can list numerous areas to experience party in FFXI no matter what the level (and if you want, I can list them here if that'd make you feel better).

- Sorry for try and make you comment on FFXIII, after all it's not like it's the topic here... Making comments on the game and then refusing to comment again goes against common sense, people back up their views to explain it to others, it's only natural. I understand you're tired of repeating yourself, well so am I.
    Read my earlier posts here then, regarding my opinion of Final Fantasy XIII iddalai... I will provide one post here in spoiler tabs (read the last few pages and you'll see my posts):

Spoiler!

I will however, provide you with a link to a online review for FFXIII that I happen to agree with 110%.

- Then Nostalgia gamer mentions how to get money on FFXIII, when I was talking about getting money on the original FF.
    Money is difficult to get in any game... what's your point?

I'd learn to read a post fully, before making comments which in no way are a response to what was quoted. Nostalgia gamer was referring to BoF II, not BoF III or others of the series.

Shit bat crazy!
    My response:

I quit people, really, I won't make any other comments, not when the replies make no
    Spoiler!
    sense.
    You won't be missed. While the replies make no common sense to you... doesn't mean they don't to others or that others may/may not agree with them.

Have fun.
    Thanks, we will.

Grand Shriner
    quote revan quote:
    Money is difficult to get in any game... what's your point?

Money is not hard to get in a lot of games if you know how:

FF1:you can grind on giants and later on when you get the bane sword,or the thor's hammer it becomes very easy.

FF2 nes:during the half game when you get small mini and toad,the game becomes broken in how easy it becomes.

Bof:all you need,is to get to the island where you find the final tower and level outside on giant things,same as bof2.

Its really really easy.

On the other hand:FF8 isn't too hard in cash,you just make sure you don't run away.

FFXIII is more annoying than hard because you gain gil through selling stuff in this game and untill you near the open world,the game is very boring and there is almost no gameplay at all.

My point is:Gold isn't too hard to get if you know how to.
    If you can't get money in games like bof 1 and 2 and ff1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 legends bof 1&2 grandia 1-3 etc etc:Then you seriously fail at rpgs.

I meant to say that 'Money CAN be difficult to get in any game'. Poor choice of words there on my part. In a MMORPG like Final Fantasy XI for example, money IS difficult to get early on... but once you've reached a high enough level, you can farm gil quite easily. When you first start in a RPG, no matter what one... initially it IS difficult to get money.

When I go trekking in the fucking Amazon, you best know that I will have every fucking known antidote to every snake in the universe before I walk in there. It's a fucking role playing game, go figure. Rest in the inn, prepare for your journey, get your antidotes, eye drops and potions, and then walk into whatever fucking cave you want. The only gameplay flaw is making me feel like I'm not even injured after fighting 10 behemoths and 300 soldiers COUGH FF13 COUGH. But whatever, my name is Lightning, I guess I can do shit like that and get away with it.

Wait, what you mean the original FFs didn't need strategy. I distinctly remember hitting the antlion with MAGIC WITH RED EYES and PHYSICAL WITH CLEAR EYES. If that's not strategy I don't know what is. . Furthermore, if you timed your spell casts (OH YEAH IT TOOK TIME TO CAST MAGIC) wrong, a behemoth would wreck your team no matter how buff they were. In FF13 Lightning could give 2 fucks what Behemoths think. But whatever, my name is Lightning, I guess I can do shit like that and get away with it. Wait did I say that before?
    http://rageboxx.blogspot.com/

Grand Shriner
    What about the end boss of the tutorial? the one that ends on the tutorial is so damm cheap that it 1 hit kills you and your team.

That boss is kinda ridiculous and the point that the game doesn't actually allow you to lvl up to be stronger vs the bosses sucks balls.
    I mean:do they even explain why crystarium expands? i haven't seen much of an explanation for it.

Oh and don't get me started on vanille and hope,i would take my belt out and beat that damm hope half to death if i could.
    Cloud may be annoying but hope? he whines so damm much and vanille is exactly like selphie,and i can't stand selphie.

Oh yeah:did you notice similarities in characters?

Vanille is like selphie
    Hope is like raiden from mgs2/4 in personality,cept he whines a lot more and is a bigger pussy.
    Oh yeah:I think the only character i like so far are:Cid and Sazh.
    I don't like lightning either but she doesn't bother me,she just ceases to exist since she leaves no impression on me.
    Snow on the other hand:He's an idiot for digging up his crystalized girlfriend and not runninga away and allowing guards to capture him.

you know my username and my avatar arent related Mercenary Raven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    When I go trekking in the fucking Amazon, you best know that I will have every fucking known antidote to every snake in the universe before I walk in there. It's a fucking role playing game, go figure. Rest in the inn, prepare for your journey, get your antidotes, eye drops and potions, and then walk into whatever fucking cave you want. The only gameplay flaw is making me feel like I'm not even injured after fighting 10 behemoths and 300 soldiers COUGH FF13 COUGH. But whatever, my name is Lightning, I guess I can do shit like that and get away with it.
    I have this theory that l'Cie heal really quickly. I'm not sure what point you're even making here, though.

Vanille is like selphie
    Selphie is a ridiculous amount more professional (in a loose sense, but when it comes down to it she is), clumsiness aside. Selphie's a trained soldier and Vanille is a sugar high teenager (well... sorta) from down under.

Hope is like raiden from mgs2/4 in personality,cept he whines a lot more and is a bigger pussy.
    Not only is Hope like 14 years old (the golden age to whine), but Raiden had a shitload of reasons to whine to begin with. You tell me that you don't whine after repressing as much trauma as Raiden has. And Hope becomes a lot less terrified and more ballsy towards the second half of the game, so he definitely develops.

And Revan, I keep mentioning that post-chapter 11 is just as long as pre-chapter 11 and you keep ignoring that. It's not poor design, they just wanted 13 chapters so they compressed more into the last 3 chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Raven View Post
    And Revan, I keep mentioning that post-chapter 11 is just as long as pre-chapter 11 and you keep ignoring that. It's not poor design, they just wanted 13 chapters so they compressed more into the last 3 chapters.
    No, I'm not ignoring that. To you it may not be, but to myself and others it IS poor game design. It seems that when SE made FFXIII, they worked on the ending of the game FIRST... and the beginning LAST. Playing 11 boring ass chapters, and then left with 3 good ones is pathetic, but really what can we expect from SE now? They've shot themselves with XIV, and have recently done the same to FFXI... SE never fully recovered from the shambolic mess that was Final Fantasy The Spirits Within and they're bleeding money constantly, the longer they keep XIV FTP.

Look... if you like FFXIII in the state it's in Mercenary Raven, that's your choice. For me, it's a mess... and as I've stated earlier in this thread, I agree 100% with the review of FFXIII by Zero Punctuation's, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, which for me to agree with any professional game reviewer is a rarity.

Grand Shriner
    I think most western gamers agree that the last 3 chapters are the most satisfying to play, but finally unlocking all the gameplay options that should really have been available by at least Chapter 4 say. But that is only if you accept that the game is using a standard model, and when do Japanese writers and developers *ever* play by the rules?

They do their own thing, as they always have. The game is specifically crafted to be that way - its not that they didn't understand that they were doing it 'wrong', or that is indeed wrong for what they are trying to accomplish. It just doesn't fit with what western gamers expect and want from a modern game.

But that's part of what makes this game for me - the fact that its Jap developers making a game in a crazy, completely consumer unfriendly way, that no western developer with their rich backers armed with flow charts of consumer purchasing trends, would ever dream of doing (or be allowed to do).

The Japs don't know how to edit themselves to make sane games with clear objectives and regular pacing - and I love them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    The Japs don't know how to edit themselves to make sane games with clear objectives and regular pacing - and I love them for it.
    I don't... XD

Insane games with non-clear objectives is something that I like because it's kind of exciting... Of course in the end it has to serve some purpose or give somekind of reward to feel good about.

But the Irregular, or let's put it this way. The SLOW pacing is not good. To ANYONE.

If anyone tells me that the game picks up after chapter 11, it doesn't speak good about the game. In any possible way, there many things that you could decipher with just that. That's why I have to be with Revan on this one.

Mystery must be exciting and gripping that it should keep you there. It musn't bore you or make you wanna quit because nothing interesting happens after 11 chapter, which that must be 20+ hours of gameplay right?

I don't own a next-gen console to play the game :P, so you tell me.
    V for Valhalla

Grand Shriner
    Let me make one thing very clear, because people often misunderstand this about FF13 - the story does not get better in the later Chapters. In fact, like most RPGs, the later sections of the game are just a rush to the fight against the improbably powerful godlike final bosses. All character development is largely done by then.

The later Chapters are quoted as being better, because the gameplay options are all finally unlocked, so you can choose from all the party members, assign the team leader yourself, have the full range of paradigms etc. It makes a huge difference to enjoying the gameplay.

I also refute utterly that the first 10 Chapters are either slow paced (this is one of the fatest paced FF games, if not the fastest). The game mixes story progression with constant character development very well. Its just that the gameplay doesn't keep up, because they keep such a tight rein on what you are allowed to do, who you *must* control and have in your party, where you *must* go etc.

Its not an issue of story pacing, its an issue of gameplay pacing, and the fact that the game is (by design) extremely linear until the later chapters when it becomes massively open, because its making an artistic point about confinement of an oppressive society versus freedom on the lawless world below.

Art decisions that compromise gameplay and deliberately frustrate gamers are frowned on here in the west (the lack of shops with real people and everything being done over the internet is one such example of a topical point that has been completely lost on the 'There's no Townz!' brigade over here). But for those who actually enjoy the Japs and their crazy 'Games are Art' ethos (Killer7 being a case in point - some of the best atmosphere and story ever, but some of the truly worst gameplay ever too), its a price worth paying.

Especially since the gameplay is really good IMO, when you are finally allowed to actually use it properly. Not everyone agrees, and that's fine. The only point I'm making is that this game is not badly designed - it works exactly how the developers wanted it to work. Its just that its priorities are not the ones that most western gamers have.

It values Art over Accessibility, and it doesn't compromise on that. And I can respect that, but obviously I wouldn't want all games to be like that. But lighter hearted JRPGs like the Tales series and the very much accessibility focused WRPGs of today, have me covered for when I want something else.

Final Fantasy XIII

I thought final fantasy XIII had a amazing battle system, I do not know why ppl didnt like it that game was amazing it had a great story line good graphics and lightning was awesome so no offence ppl who didnt like this game but whats wrong with all of you?????

Quote Originally Posted by Shephard123 View Post
    I thought final fantasy XIII had a amazing battle system, I do not know why ppl didnt like it that game was amazing it had a great story line good graphics and lightning was awesome so no offence ppl who didnt like this game but whats wrong with all of you?????
    Wouldnt say that too loud lol.