Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate this game????

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Almíranos View Post
    And as far as I'm concerned Star Wars spin off games have never interested me in the slightest. The films were fine but I find the games pathetic. Just my opinion.
    Then you never played the Knights of the Old Republic games, only the ones set in the movie era. Your loss.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

lol this is probably the first time in my life that i've heard the KOTOR game termed "pathetic." It's amazing.
    http://rageboxx.blogspot.com/

If you have the greatest aim, keep it in your soul Almíranos's Avatar
    Then you never played the Knights of the Old Republic games, only the ones set in the movie era. Your loss.
    Hmmm...hate to break your little bubble there, but I have played the ''wonder'' that is the Knights of the Old Republic. I found it all very dull. My only loss is the time I wasted on playing it.
    For a guy who hates spin-offs, I'm surprised you went for KOTOR. Your loss I suppose.

lol this is probably the first time in my life that i've heard the KOTOR game termed "pathetic." It's amazing.
    Stupendous.
    Omnia mala terra excitabat

He never called it a wonder. Just a better game.

Quote Originally Posted by Almíranos View Post
    Hmmm...hate to break your little bubble there, but I have played the ''wonder'' that is the Knights of the Old Republic. I found it all very dull. My only loss is the time I wasted on playing it.
    For a guy who hates spin-offs, I'm surprised you went for KOTOR. Your loss I suppose.
    Then you obviously don't enjoy space opera or sci fi games, as the majority of people I know who have played Knights of the Old Republic agree that it's worthy of being a Game of the Year (which it was).

I do hate spin offs, I didn't lie when I said that. However, considering that the mainstream Star Wars games (Jedi Academy, Jedi Knight II, Dark Forces etc) didn't earn much praise from me, except for X-Wing and TIE Fighter (I have a fondness for space combat simulators. If you haven't played them, I pity you... I really do). Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, being set 4,000 years before the movies and during a era I personally found to be far more enjoyable in both story and character wise and not just from the KotOR games, but also the comics and backstory for that era. Exar Kun, Mandalore, Ulic Qel-Droma, Nomi Sunrider, Revan, The Exile, Zayne Carrick etc... all of them I find it easier to form a attachment with them, than with Anakin/Luke/Cade Skywalker etc.

Like Dragoncurry said, I never called it a wonder. KotOR is a better game than FFXIII.

If any of you have the walkthrough look at the guide for each chapter, every map is a straight line, save for one or two. I hate to bring up the old "Corridor with wallpaper" argument but it's kinda true. Also the battle system is very flawed I find. To each their own but I was dissapointed. Story was ok though.
    Sorry Player, I'm Noriega crossed with Schwarzenegger
    The orphan maker, orchestrate your fate in a torture chamber

Long time no see, Harkus.

I think it strays too far from the series' traditions, so, a possible cause for this.
    However, calling it bad or worse FF ever is pure prejudice against some good qualities the game has, like the battle system.

Noli manere in memoria Galadín Nimcelithil's Avatar
    The way I see it:

I can see where Almír is coming from. Pure negativity gets annoying after a while. This is a forum for Final Fantasy so there should be a general liking for the titles. I'm not saying that it is necessary to love every single one but the critism towards certain select games is very negative. If I were trying to create something, reading that sort of critism would crush me flat.

It is all up to personal opinion but as for me, I would view the FF titles as being some of the best RPGs, deserving of a place next to Suikoden II and the Zelda series. There aren't that many games who go through the same lengths that Final Fantasy does. FF XIII was a good game- not the best, but certainly not the worst.

As for the Battle System, I'm with Almír on that one: I frankly couldn't care less.

Animam sacrificare necesse est?

Onion Kid
    You know that one of the main reason why there are many hates for the game is because people accuse of it's linear style besides likes and dislikes about the battle system. I think people are being a bit too comparing with the game. I mean, it's an RPG... It's suppose to be a story. We all play for the sole purpose of knowing the story.

What irritates me is that half of the world doesn't even know what linear is until someone brings it up and they all become skeptic for no apparent reason and hate on the game even though they have yet to input their own personal opinion. In other words, biased.

Agree 100%. Thumbs up for quality post !.

Quote Originally Posted by XSleepyPanda View Post
    You know that one of the main reason why there are many hates for the game is because people accuse of it's linear style besides likes and dislikes about the battle system. I think people are being a bit too comparing with the game. I mean, it's an RPG... It's suppose to be a story. We all play for the sole purpose of knowing the story.

What irritates me is that half of the world doesn't even know what linear is until someone brings it up and they all become skeptic for no apparent reason and hate on the game even though they have yet to input their own personal opinion. In other words, biased.
    However, there are those who do have their own valid reasons as to why they hate this game. Myself, I tried to play it 3 times... the longest only being about 5 hours into it and I can honestly say I was bored to tears (and saying the game picks up after Chapter 11... in a 13 chapter game isn't a good thing, it's poor game design). Lacklustre characters, uninteresting plot, mediocre music and poor battle system. The lack of any NPC villages/towns like in earlier FF's irritated me as well, though that's only a minor quipe really. The opening scene was more or less ripped out of FFVII, and with the character designer being told to make a female Cloud Strife, that's exactly what we got in Lightning.

There's one review which sums up almost 100% perfectly my own opinion about this game, and here's the link:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion it's true, so while there are people who think FFXIII is the best ever... remember, there are those who despise it (some even more than FFVII).

Even more then FFVII? Ouch- that's harsh! To be painfully honest, I like them both. Well that's just me- Cheers!

you know my username and my avatar arent related Mercenary Raven's Avatar
    (and saying the game picks up after Chapter 11... in a 13 chapter game isn't a good thing, it's poor game design).
    Chapter 11 and afterwards has a lot more plot and content than pre-Chapter 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaroval View Post
    Even more then FFVII? Ouch- that's harsh! To be painfully honest, I like them both. Well that's just me- Cheers!
    Yeah... there are some out there who do hate it way more than FFVII. Myself, what I hated the most about FFXIII... was paying over $100 AUSD for the special edition and thinking it was going to be good... when it wasn't (for me at least). That's another reason I have negative feelings towards FFXIII...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Raven View Post
    Chapter 11 and afterwards has a lot more plot and content than pre-Chapter 11.
    I don't consider playing through 11 boring chapters to be fun... or to have the game pick up after 11 either.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    However, there are those who do have their own valid reasons as to why they hate this game. Myself, I tried to play it 3 times... the longest only being about 5 hours into it and I can honestly say I was bored to tears (and saying the game picks up after Chapter 11... in a 13 chapter game isn't a good thing, it's poor game design). Lacklustre characters, uninteresting plot, mediocre music and poor battle system. The lack of any NPC villages/towns like in earlier FF's irritated me as well, though that's only a minor quipe really. The opening scene was more or less ripped out of FFVII, and with the character designer being told to make a female Cloud Strife, that's exactly what we got in Lightning.

There's one review which sums up almost 100% perfectly my own opinion about this game, and here's the link:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion it's true, so while there are people who think FFXIII is the best ever... remember, there are those who despise it (some even more than FFVII).
    It's true. I wasn't referring to everyone being biased about the game. I was talking about the other half of the gaming community who has a bad habit having no credentials in what they say (ie: Judging the game before they play, basing their own false opinions after reading other's opinion). But considering you played the game already, your opinion is valid. ;D. Obviously the game does have its up and down.

One thing that bothers me though is why does people like FFVII (being that it's already overrated) so much? I played the game twice but still don't see how it's so different and majorly more fascinating than some of the other Final Fantasies.

One thing that bothers me though is why does people like FFVII (being that it's already overrated) so much? I played the game twice but still don't see how it's so different and majorly more fascinating than some of the other Final Fantasies.
    For me it just struck a chord...know what I mean? I started with Crisis Core so I guess I was introduced to it with a different main character. Zack was a very engaging playable character that you really root for. I goy attached to the supporting characters (ie. Aerith, Sephiroth, Tifa, etc) because I loved the game from the get go (mostly due to Zack's upbeat nature). Zack is completely different to Cloud, so I got a very different outlook.

There was also a different message behind the FFVII compilation- a message I feel strongly about. So between the characters and message I found the storyline fascinating.

As for being overrated- it most deffinitely is. But you won't find me going ON and On about it. Besides, I've got a life to lead. Can't say much for those weirdo fanatics.

you know my username and my avatar arent related Mercenary Raven's Avatar
    First major RPG for the PSX. It def wasn't the first but it got a ton of people into the genre, and frankly the plot was quite fascinating for something at the time. I personally believe FF7 was a phenomenal game once upon a time that just aged horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by XSleepyPanda View Post
    FFVII helped to bring RPG's out from the niche market they were predominantly in and into the mainstream market. At the time, everyone HAD to play it etc etc... and while I admit it was the second game I ever owned for my PSX (DON'T ASK ME WHAT THE FIRST WAS!!!), it was in no means the best. True it had a good story and great music... but unfortunately, along with it came a lot of newbies to the series, who started to revere it as the second coming of Jesus Christ. Like Neo Xzhan said in another post here "See I look at it like religion. It's not God I hate, it's his fanclub", it was the fanatical fans who raved on and on and on about it on online forums/magazines etc which put me off.

When Hironobu Sakaguchi, the Father of Final Fantasy, was fired from the board of Directors and subsequently quit SE, it wasn't long after that that talk of the compilation of FFVII began. SE needed money to recoup their losses from Sakaguchi's failed final project "The Spirits Within", and whoring out the FFVII name, characters and story allowed them to get back some of them. FFVII as it was, was a good game and didn't need a sequel/prequel/movie made... all of that was done for two reasons imo. The aforementioned need to rebuild their finances after that failure and to appease the fanatical fan's screaming for more.

Now, sadly... these fanatics are still around... only they've grown worse in their worship of FFVII. Case in point, when I picked up my copy of Dragon Age II Signature Edition earlier this year, I was approached by another person in that store and told that the game I just purchased had a weak story, apathetical characters, terrible music and that the battle system didn't work. I was then recommended by this person to get the one game which will continue to surpass any other RPG, nay, any other game period. The game this misenthrope recommended to me: Final Fantasy VII. Spouting how great etc it is... he refused to let me pass until he finished his spiel. Once he was done, I told that I have played the FF series, and only play the 11th installment on a regular basis... which set him off again. Berating and belittling my choice in FF's... though, he did say that FFX, FFXII and FFXIII are 'almost' as good as FFVII, and he then 'ordered' me to get rid of Dragon Age II and FFXI and get the 'great ones'. It was then I told him I've been playing the FF series since the NES... and while VII was good, I prefer VIII due to sentimental reasons, but consider IV and VI to be the particular 'great ones'... the discussion ended with this guy throwing a punch at me, but hitting a police officer who was there purchasing another game instead. Heh... good times ensued.

However, this thread isn't about FFVII etc...

Grand Shriner
    Come on man, where are your standards? The accepted response to dealing with these kinds of people, is to powerbomb them through the bargain games bin. Surely gaming hasn't been dumbed down so much that we're ditching the classics?

Oh and by the way. what was the first game you owned for the PSX?

Well... the guy hit a police officer lol... so I just stood back and watched the fun

... and NO! I'm not telling the first game I got on my PSX.

Grand Shriner
    Well, how bad can it possibly be? Unless it was 'Nightmare Creatures' or something...

On second thoughts, maybe you better had keep it to yourself.

.... it was this: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    .... it was this: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Hey, the PS2 game by Atari was good!

it was the fanatical fans who raved on and on and on about it on online forums/magazines etc which put me off.
    Sorry Revan but you really shouldn't let others dictate how you feel about something. If they want to lose the head over it- fine let them. But don't let that spoil it for you. You liked it for what it was- now let's move on.

The negativity gets me down sometimes because I know that the very people who are flaming the fanboys/girls actually like the game for what it was- a game, nothing more, nothing less. LOL, they probably apprieciate it more than the fanatics do! But unlike the stupid yabos people like Revan and NeoZhan know where to draw the line.