Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate this game????

Grand Shriner
    I think the critics are actually starting to regret their 'Jap games bashing' that they've been doing recently. Because they've been slating them so much, that people have given up on them, even when the games are good.

For example, the critics went into rapturous fits of ectasy about Bayonetta and Vanquish, but nobody listened. Even with wall to wall perfect scores, Bayonetta was a minor hit at best, and Vanquish as far as I can tell, flopped miserably.

The critics know very well that a healthy and creative Japanese contribution to the industry is vital, and their excessive bashing of Jap games has not been helpful at all (RE5 and FF13 for example, could have been better certainly, but they were nowhere close to being as bad as many western critics were saying.)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    I do agree with you about how some critics are changing their opinions... they do that all the time though. Personally, I think it just boils down to the individual in question: They like it, they like it. If they don't like it, they don't.

You can't please everybody nowadays... and videogame fans can be quite relentless, brutal and merciless when it comes to games.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

If VGchartz is to be believed, Bayonetta has sold 1.62 million copies and Vanquish 0.45 copies (it's still relatively new, though). I firmly believe both of these games will generate a strong cult following and consistently keep selling copies over time. I'd easily consider Bayonetta to be well beyond a "minor hit" and Vanquish sold very well, for a game that had 0 hype behind it, in such a short period of time.

And these are underhyped games we're talking about (and awesome games btw, both of them). RE5 and FF13 were bashed a lot, but both sold several millions... And so do many other Japanese games. Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, Lost Planet, Persona 4, Demon's Souls... Japanese games are still selling. People are never gonna give up on Japan. I'm certainly not going to anytime soon.

Give it a break, it was a good game! Better than most out there lol
    Ich Ni San Shi!

Quote Originally Posted by Keybou View Post
    Good game, yes, I thought so. But better than most out there? Even from what I saw of it, no, not by a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Keybou View Post
    No it wasn't, and there ARE better games available.

Grand Shriner
    Bayonetta peaked at about no5 over here in Britain, and then sank without trace (it literally was 'blink and you missed it'). And it was anything but underhyped - the critics could not have pushed that game more if they came round to your house and gave you a free copy, along with some tea and biscuits courtesy of Platinum Games.

They were building it up to truly ridiculous levels, trying to make it a big hit. Even Edge magazine, which is one of the harsher reviewers, gave it 10/10. And yet you can barely find anyone about on the internet with a good word to say about the game (its metacritic user score is poor as well). And I really wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Vanquish to become a big hit.

As for RE5, it sold excellently, but it's fairly obvious that it did that with no aid from the critics, and largely due to its name and the success of its direct predecessor. Much like FF13 in that regard.

I really liked RE5, but the reaction from fans and mainstream has been overwhelmingly negative. People just keep insisting that its rubbish compared to RE4, which isn't true at all IMO.

And again at least over here in Britain, Lost Planet 2, Persona 4 and Demon's Souls sank without trace. Not sure about Tekken 6, but I don't remember it being touted as some huge success story.

Sequels to big franchises sell well - that's no surprise, seeing as how its what the industry almost exclusively is these days. But the constant bashing that the Jap games have been getting, mean that people aren't willing to venture outside of the big names and give anything new a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    No it wasn't, and there ARE better games available.
    Not this generation of RPG games on consoles there aren't. Not that the RPGs are bad this gen, just underwhelming. Final Fantasy XIII, and maybe Nier (for story and soundtrack) were the highlights of RPGs this gen for consoles. For handhelds...well you have quite a selection there.

Quote Originally Posted by Esura View Post
    Not this generation of RPG games on consoles there aren't. Not that the RPGs are bad this gen, just underwhelming. Final Fantasy XIII, and maybe Nier (for story and soundtrack) were the highlights of RPGs this gen for consoles. For handhelds...well you have quite a selection there.
    Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins (Awakening) beg to differ Esura.

Hype=/=Marketing. Never forget that.

Even if a game scores 100% on Metacritic and Gamerankings and you can't find a single person on the face of the earth that has something bad about it to say about it, it's just not going to sell very well if it's not advertised. Most people shop for games the same way they shop for anything else. They just go to the store and buy what looks interesting, or what they know they're gonna like. They're not gonna bother looking for reviews on the internet. Believe me, I know.

I think Kevin Smith says it best

"..The Collective Experience..Yea its wierd its gonna be interesting to see, what a pop-culture reference looks like in 20 years. Because we are kinda isolating, isolating, isolating, and also entertainment is being made for smaller and smaller demographics....you get out of it what you put into it, and some people just go on the internet to spill bile and thats all they're ever gonna get out of it. I like to get on the internet and be productive, get really high and get creative, you know, its fun"

You know we have no great war, no great depression so we tend to get bored (lol paraphrase), and in doing so we become cynical critics not only of games but of everything. Nothing seems to come from the passion and heart of doing something anymore now its just "How much money can we get if we do this" or "What am i going to rip apart today" Thats what saddens me about the industry for the most part.

I never read bad reviews anymore, i just try it if it appeals to me
    Fear or revere me, but please, think i'm special -Revolver-

A culture cannot evolve without honest, powerful storytelling. Robert McKee

Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins (Awakening) beg to differ Esura.
    Nope, Lost Odyssey and Origins (even Awakening) aren't better than FFXIII imo. I've only played Mass Effect for a few hours as a rental on my brother's 360 so I can't fully judge that. Same with Mass Effect 2. However I just bought Mass Effect 2 for PS3 for 30 bucks, so I'll play it and let you know if its better than FFXIII. I heard some fans of ME were questioning its legitimacy of it being a RPG in general though. From what I've played of ME2 though on 360....it didn't feel like an RPG at all.

Nope, Lost Odyssey and Origins (even Awakening) aren't better than FFXIII imo.
    That's your own opinion. To me, Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening are superior to FFXIII. Hell, even Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic IS superior to FFXIII.

I've only played Mass Effect for a few hours as a rental on my brother's 360 so I can't fully judge that. Same with Mass Effect 2. However I just bought Mass Effect 2 for PS3 for 30 bucks, so I'll play it and let you know if its better than FFXIII. I heard some fans of ME were questioning its legitimacy of it being a RPG in general though. From what I've played of ME2 though on 360....it didn't feel like an RPG at all.
    Mass Effect is a Action RPG. Has some elements of other RPG's, as well as Shooter elements. Play Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 2 as you can import your character from the first to the second (And then to the third when that is released November/December this year).

Mass Effect is a Action RPG. Has some elements of other RPG's, as well as Shooter elements. Play Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 2 as you can import your character from the first to the second (And then to the third when that is released November/December this year).
    Getting Mass Effect 2 for PS3.

Getting Mass Effect 2 for PS3.
    Then you don't get the full experience of the Mass Effect games. A crappy interactive comic, with only 6 choices to carry over into Mass Effect 2... while Xbox 360/PC users can play the full game of Mass Effect (along with a Hell of a lot more choices besides 6) and transfer their character over to Mass Effect 2.

FF Player for Life LarryMHolder's Avatar
    My take on the situation, after being around FF games for almost half of my life I've found that with every FF release comes complaints. Right now it's cool to hate on XIII, when XV (let's face it XIV is a mess right now) comes out people will hate on it too and XIII will be praised on different levels, don't believe it? Same thing has happened with every FF release, except for maybe IV, believe it or not even VI had haters back in the day.

Maybe so LarryMHolder... but when people have legitimate reasons for hating a game, that says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMHolder View Post
    My take on the situation, after being around FF games for almost half of my life I've found that with every FF release comes complaints. Right now it's cool to hate on XIII, when XV (let's face it XIV is a mess right now) comes out people will hate on it too and XIII will be praised on different levels, don't believe it? Same thing has happened with every FF release, except for maybe IV, believe it or not even VI had haters back in the day.
    VI still does have haters

VI has haters? Since when? :S
    V for Valhalla

I can't think of any examples on this site right off the bat, but the only real complaint I've ever seen is that some people think Kefka ruins it, or just that they don't like the game and give no reason. Haters are out there, but luckily few and far between

Well I think that Kefka is hideous for the game & ruins the potential of the game, same as Terra, but that's just me.

But it's not enough reason to hate it. :S

Haters gonna hate I guess....

I know man! Me, I love everything about it! To me, it is perfect But, for all the haters, I say they must all listen to Justin Bieber for two hours straight. HA!

I really don't know why XIII gets so much hate. These days it's popular to hate the most recent iteration of Final Fantasy. However, I personally felt XIII did not live up to the Square Enix standard. The game was very linear for a large portion of the game with uninspiring and lifeless areas. While the Paradigm Shift system was fun and hectic, the system really could have used further customization in the background similar to XII's Gambits (why can't I tell Hope to always cast Haste before Protect or En-???). The story also could have used more fleshing out. Villains in XIII were also weak and unmemorable with Jihl being killed before the group could even fight her! The heroes also didn't evolve and grow much throughout the story.

While I applaud Square for trying new battle systems in XII and XIII, I really hope XV is a return to the series' roots in HD. Sure, XII and XIII are more realistic in battle, but I enjoy turn based combat and believe that's one of Final Fantasy's defining qualities.

While the Paradigm Shift system was fun and hectic
    Fun and hectic don't really go together.

Also I don't know who mentioned the point regarding talking to "useless NPCs", but I doubt they ever read a book. In order to paint a world with cities, demographics and cultures you need to have populated cities, each with characteristic personalities. Using NPCs can add a lot to the atmosphere. For example, Treno in FF9 had a slum sector and a "rich" sector, where there were thieves and gamblers and rich patrons all over the city. You don't need to talk to the NPCs to get a feel of a cosmopolitan city with pretty staggered social differences due to the gap between the rich and the poor. It gives the City of Night a lot of personality that areas in Final Fantasy 13 are missing. Hopefully, this made some sense to some people.

Hey, guess what! I just stole your heart ~<3 Jitan Toraibaru's Avatar
    Fun and hectic CAN go together, what the crap are you babbling about?

Try any fun destruction-based racing game like carmageddon, or something where the focus is high pressure, low time limit...don't be absurd, the concepts CAN co-exist, and have in many cases. I've been enjoying the game so far...it's not 9, but that's my favourite game of all time...so yeah! XD;

Even if a game scores 100% on Metacritic and Gamerankings and you can't find a single person on the face of the earth that has something bad about it to say about it, it's just not going to sell very well if it's not advertised. Most people shop for games the same way they shop for anything else.
    Truth!

For example, Ghost Trick is PRAISED to all heck by everyone who bought it...but it wasn't highly advertised and suffered low sales as a result.
    Damn shame, it's absolutely amazing game...especially for the DS!
    Virtue: Do you need a reason to help someone?