Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did it start for you?

How did it start for you?

How did you first found out about Final Fantasy VII? What made you get addicted to it?

To me, it was a long time ago *picture goes wavy*. I was a little 14 year old lass (this is 2001-2, 'kay?). At the time I was just being introduced to a new, fantastic world - Dragonlance. If anyone has read the famous Tracy/Weiss saga, they'll be going "aaaah" right about now. I was introduced to a character that answers the name of Raistlin Majere. He was non-fundamentally evil, very cynical and powerful. He also had long white hair and carried a magical staff. Well, it was love at first sight.
    Exploring the internet back in those days (especially Quizzila) have benefited me with learning of other long white haired men carrying a weapon - Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha, and.. well, Sephiroth. Again, it was love at first site. So, slowly my interests took a turn towards the Japanese Anime cultur, which opened my eyes to a brave new world. And while digging into this I learned about Sephiroth (mainly that he had a couple of screws loose and was very strong and was the mortal enemy of one Cloud Strife) and that he was from a show (so I thought back at the time) that's called Final Fantasy. And I kept seeing Final Fantasy everywhere I went. So the knowledge of that phrase stuck in my mind without being fully explored (whatever info I had was from various fanbases for Final Fantasy. Nothing solid and reliable, cause I didn't know about Wikipedia...I'm not sure it even existed back then..).
    Years went by.
    I was strolling on an Anime BT site and saw Final Fantasy VII Advent Children for download. So I did. And then I watched it.
    Voooooosh!

I became addicted. Heavily. The plot was so interesting, the CGI was MINDBLOWING, and there was Sephiroth - and I love that guy! But I understood jacks**t about it, thinking "what the hell just happened? Who's THAT guy, and what does he have to do with Cloud? Materia-what? Why does that talking cat wears a crown?"

N00b.

But then, there was Wikipedia, and just like in the Old Testament, it explained the creation of the World.
    At this stage I was hooked on this like a fanatic.

A year or so later, I saw a new title bearing the name of "Final Fantasy VII - Last Order". So I downloaded it too. This has made things even more confusing for me. "Nibelheim accident? Turks? Jenova? A-what?"

But as time went by, more and more things clicked into place, and my enthusiasm for Final Fantasy VII has grown sevenfold.

And then there was Advent Children Complete. Which I first seen about six months ago, and still make a habit of going down on my knees to worship before I rewatch it.

Some more time has passed by, and I learned about Dirge of Cerberus. And bought the game. Which - I'm not entirely sure WHY- was only initiated six months after it was bought - I'm sorry to all you DoC hardcore fans out there, but this game doesn't represent the main plot of the compilation - and it didn't prove much of a plot-benefiter.

And now there is Crisis Core. I'm completely in love - from the tip of my nose down to my toenails. The runner up on my list after Kingdom Hearts II.

-
    And as a final note, Final Fantasy VII has made a huge impact on my life (both as a teen and as an adult), and I am honored to be in it circle of fans.
    The plot, which is so intricate and deep, the complexity of the world and characters, it's something that you usually don't get in this sort of thing. Truly awe-inspiring.

Ijou! (damn, that was longer than a fanfic..)

And you?
    Quidquid Japanese dictum sit altur viditur

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    I was in a a bar and a guy I worked with came in with a newly bought copy of the game. He was excited and told me that it was on 3 discs. And that was that.

Seeing Last Order before playing the game must have been confusing.

Also... Raistlin rocks! The Twins trilogy were my favourite reads back then, even if they were somewhat unoriginal. Fond memories. "aaaah"
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

"There must be something in books, something we canít imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house... "

SOLDIER, First Class? Bugenhagen*'s Avatar
    Ahh good times when I was just a lad looking for my game addiction my father said now son this choice deserves deliberation (i love Muppet's tresure island)...

Yup, I was just a pup back then and my dad brought home my first games console and a shiney new game, PSOne and FFVII watching him play through it I fell in love with the story and the characters (Although i was very confused, being only 6 at the time) but a few years later I rediscovered it's magic and i've been playing it through like once a year...Usually at Christmas time when I'm most nostalgic
    Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skion View Post
    How did you first found out about Final Fantasy VII? What made you get addicted to it?
    Back in 1997, when I purchased my PlayStation. Final Fantasy VII was the second game I bought for it (Transformers Beast Wars was first... and subsequently was the first game I sold.). At the time I thought it was a great game, and even now I still consider it to be a 'good' game. Addicted to it? Not really, as I ended up enjoying FFVIII far more than VII.

Add in Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus as well as Last Order and Advent Children... along with all the incessant fanboys who rave about how FFVII is the second coming of Christ, I don't like FFVII as much as I used to, especially when said fanboys compare every other RPG (whether JRPG or WRPG) to it and state that FFVII still is the 'bestest game evah made'. Those 'people' (I use that word loosely), them I despise and due to their moronic praise even today, of a game thirteen years old now... grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skion View Post
    At the time I was just being introduced to a new, fantastic world - Dragonlance. If anyone has read the famous Tracy/Weiss saga, they'll be going "aaaah" right about now. I was introduced to a character that answers the name of Raistlin Majere. He was non-fundamentally evil, very cynical and powerful. He also had long white hair and carried a magical staff.
    Came rather late to that series eh? I was into Dragonlance back when I was in High school in the early 1990's (Same with Forgotten Realms and Dragonrealm). Raistlin Majere is quite a tragic character imo, but also inherently evil during the Chronicles saga. The reason Raistlin's hair is white (as well as his skin tone being a golden color and the pupils of his eyes the shape of hourglasses) was due to the pact he made with the evil archmage turned lich, Fistandantilus (Who he ends up learning and then training under in the Dragonlance Legends saga) during the Test in the Tower of High Sorcery in Wayreth Forest. Eventually Raistlin finds redemption initially during his nephew, Palin's, test (who he also bequeathed his magic staff, the Staff of Magius, to) and subsequently in the final Dragonlance Chronicles novella, Dragons of Summer Flame.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

I can't even remember exactly. I believe that after playing Legend of Dragoon (my first RPG) I asked my mum for a whole bunch of RPG's for my b-day (or maybe it was christmas). Anywhoo one of those was FFVII. I fell in love with FF and played VIII at my friends place everytime I went there...never actually got another FF game though until X

Great i'm a sadistic evil person with a wing sticking out of his back. F***ing Fantastic. Oh well at least I have a big sword

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
    Came rather late to that series eh? .
    Yeah, I was 14 back in 2002.
    I love Dragonlance. I've got the entire series (from Soulforge to Summer Flame, and a solitary Dwarven Depths, which I still haven't finished yet.). The Legends are my favorite of the lot, probably because it focuses on Raistlin and Dalamar as an added bonus.

Have you read Weis & Hickman's other series that isn't dragon lance? I enjoyed it, and I think the first book is called Dragon Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by jakob.nelson View Post
    Have you read Weis & Hickman's other series that isn't dragon lance? I enjoyed it, and I think the first book is called Dragon Wing.
    I heard something about this series, but I've yet to read it. I've been focusing on local literature recently, and sort of neglected the Fantasy genre. Also I'm a lazy bum and spend 80% of my waking hours on the PlayStation

Well, I first sat down to play FFVII when my dad randomly bought it for me one night when I was in the fourth grade. At the time, the only other FF title I'd played was IV, so you can imagine what a huge shift in pace that was; boy was it ever. I think the first thing to cross my mind was, "Now I need all the others!" but of course VII did grip me and I was very into it. I still am today if I let myself. It's a great game, and while not the best ever, it sure does have its own charm, just as every FF does. And I can tell you right now, I never once placed it on a silver platter like everyone else did. Soon after I had IX, then VIII, then X, then I&II Dawn of Souls for GBA . . . and still, not once did I ever consider VII in the same raging fanboy mindset everybody else was, which is why I still, to this day, fail to understand that way of thinking. It caught me off guard, honestly, to see just how much praise it got over all the others. Why? What was it that made it superior to the rest of the series? Who knows. Lord knows I don't even want to. But I'm getting ahead of myself; I can say in all honesty that I love FFVII to this day, even if my feelings of it are slightly altered by all the fanboys who worship it like a god. It's still a fun experience; all the glitchy, MIDI music, blocky characters, funky sound effects, memorable tunes; forget the fanboys. FFVII is not Christ's rebirth, but it is definitely an awesome game.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentDark View Post
    FFVII is not Christ's rebirth, but it is definitely an awesome game.
    The first part some fanboys would strongly disagree with (those being the prepubescent fanatical fanboys, who get off of seeing Cloud in a dress). Awesome game? No... not by a long shot.

Techchild the Deathbringer Techchild's Avatar
    It was a good game way back when, but now it has no charm. To many raves about the game forced me into picking it apart. (I was the guy who figured out how to escape the world map). It has a brilliant story yes, but gameplay? Not anymore.

Did you know you can obtain 6 ribbons on Disc 1.
    There is a way to revive the bitch Aerith without modding/Cheating, but that is kept by Square and only about 3 people worldwide have had the 'privalige'.
    Ride an airship or chocobo up and down enough times on the world map and fall right through.
    All of the toy soldiers don't allow you to play as Sephiroth when you give them to Dio, they allow you to get a replica Masamune after a special battle in the arena.

Yeah, Its not that good and if they ever remake the game I'll tear it apart like a honeybear at feeding time

Well, let's be fair here. . . . Aside from the raging, rabid fanboys who take the game far too seriously as though it were the only piece of media or entertainment they'd ever been exposed to, FFVII is . . . really not that bad. Like Techchild said, it has no charm, but only if you allow those said fanboys to ruin the experience. I can still sit down and play it today and focus myself back into the world I lived in back on the first day I tried it out; a world where I wasn't exposed to people very often (at least not by choice), and where I had absolutely no friends who were into RPGs like I was. So I had nothing but my own opinion to go by, not those of scores of others interfering with my mind. I think if you can do just that . . . you'll be alright enjoying it. Let yourself exist with the current post-Advent Children fanbase, you'll hate it.

My Ex Drug dealing godfather loved playing video games and with the money he made he bought pretty much any game he wanted. I was 8 at the time and I opened up the case for FF VII and I saw the manual. It didn't have any words like any other game and the case was too big. Back then I thought that most PS1 games were supposed to fit on just one disc but I was wrong. I played the older ones like II and III (North American Final Fantasies) but now a Final Fantasy in 3D? It blew my mind. I stole that copy from him but he didn't care. He just bought another one. Then stopped dealing drugs.

It's quite amazing to learn how many people here hate fanpeople for ruining their experience by idolizing this game.
    I have to admit I'm with you on that (I actually stopped watching some shows I used to really like just because there was such a buzz around them at the time, like Death Note or Naruto and such), but it's pretty sad to let a bunch of rotten apples ruin your Thing.
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm done being mopy about it. You can't let your fun be reduced to a restricted and anonymous space where no fanboy can infiltrate. Do whatever makes you feel good, people!

Anyway, wow, I didn't expect my topic to get this much popularity. Thanks, everyone : )

Evie is "Out of this World" HuggyB18's Avatar
    I played it in 1997 US release date can't remember the exact day & I was 12-13 yrs old YaY!

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    For Christmas in '97, I got a PS1. My sister and I pooled our money together to buy a memory card and we'd rent the game every weekend.

For my birthday she bought it for me.

I think I'll play through it again, leaving the glitches alone. Though I'm expecting to get to the Final boss at level 30/35

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Techchild View Post
    All of the toy soldiers don't allow you to play as Sephiroth when you give them to Dio, they allow you to get a replica Masamune after a special battle in the arena.
    You can never obtain the entire set of toy soldiers.

The replica Masamune is a random prize along with "Tissue" and the toy soldier.

You can obtain 24 out of 36. There are 2 ways to obtain Masamune, and no way to equip it without mods/cheats.

DEATH TO COUNTRY MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! P.B.Y's Avatar
    i got interested in FF7 after my brother told my mom to buy it off the Playstation Store, since we played all of the old Final Fantasy games and i instantly became engrossed in the storyline and the characters and the music. And no i'm not an obseesed fangirl there are better games right now like Super Mario Galaxy and SSBB
    check out my NEW blog all about getting people interested in game music at [Hidden link. Register to see links.]!

recent post: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]!

i use to love FF games...i started FF7 when my mate showed a new game to play..

Talking

First I was really into Kingdom Hearts. I always saw Cloud and Tifa and all those people but never got who they were. Thats when my brother and I bought Advent Children and watched it. At first I didn't get t, but I did a lot of research and became OBSESSED. I have counted and watched it over 300 times and one time I watched it backwards! Then A friend told me the game was for download for the psp. So I got it and beat it. Now I don't really like kigdom hearts. Then I found out I was in love with Rufus Shinra *sighs* and that's how I became addicted to the drug known as Final Fantasy 7.
    "You are to be executed for causing this situation. People are ignorant. They'll feel better as long as someone is punished." (Rufus)

When I was young , I was going threw my neighbors games and I seen the cover of the game , " Cloud with his huge beast buster sword " right then and their, I was deeply drawn to the FF7 World and never got out of it .

I reckon mine started the same as EVERYONE else who has ever played the game I promise you. It was a nice opening video which then went to Cloud jumping off a train. Thats how mine started.
    The Trick is to quit while you are still ahead!

Trouble Maker by Profession ultima_tales's Avatar
    My first was really FF8 all the way back in 2000, or wast it 2001? I really can't remember. It was close to 2000 nevertheless. For ff7 however it was around 2004-2005 during 2 weeks at summer in upper basement of house on a horrible tv that had issues with colors, but ff7 turned out one of the rare games that didn't have the usual pal/ntsc compatibility issue ( good times) There is a chance i touched it in 2003 but I couldn't beat the first boss ( lol ) so I waited 2 years (summers) because the ps1 was at summer place. And yea it proved to be a really entertaining game, much diverse. Probably why its so popular.
    CV: I am an audio-visual freelance worker. Working on both 2D, 3D, Raster and Vector formats. I perform Image Editing and Manipulation, Animation, Visual Effects Creation and Editing.