Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 162

Thread: Worst RPG/s You've Played To Date?

  1. #1
    jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Posts
    7,077

    Worst RPG/s You've Played To Date?

    To compliment the 'best rpg you've played?' thread. What's the worst RPG/s you've played?

    Shadow Madness was a terrible game. Uninspiring story, lacklustre music... and the graphics ugh.

    Xenosaga Episode One: What the hell was going on in this game? I played about 4 hours of it... and was wanting those 4 hours back dammit!

    The Last Remnant: Too cliche story, too many obvious references to SE's flagship title, main character has 'incestuous' overtures to his sister (toned down from the Japanese version, BUT still there.). The Battle system to me was 'meh', send one group to attack a group of monsters, send another... ugh... too repetitive and boring.

    Infinite Undiscovery: Another nail in the coffin of SE imo. The music was ok... not some of SE's finest, but tolerable. The battle system was solid I admit. The character designs were quite nice. However... the battles themselves were inane and not being able to pause the game to go answer the call of nature or whatnot... come back and find your party dead, as you can't pause it!

    Star Ocean The Last Hope: I had high hopes for this title, I really did. It failed me miserably. Combat system was ok, but that was about it. Unlikeable characters, boring story...

    Final Fantasy XIII: Where do I start... well, I'll keep my rant simple. This game is BORING AS HELL!! No world map. No NPC shops. More or less just running down one tunnel after another, linear as hell. I've heard at Chapter 11 it picks up... but as this game has only 13 chapters in all, what's the point? Play a game bored as hell for the first 10 chapters... then sit back and enjoy it for the remainder? What the fuck SE?!?

    I honestly feel SE is losing it's touch, as I'd prefer to play FFX/X-2 instead of the above 4 titles, and considering how much I dislike them, THAT'S saying something.

    Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter: Capcom... why? True I only played about 2 hours of it, but if a game can't grab me within the first 90 minutes, it's failed to grab my attention. Gameplay was weak as was the story and the character designs were a let down.

    I could list many more... as my hatred knows no boundaries, but I'll leave it at that for now.


    The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun


    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  2. #2
    Onion Kid
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Medford OR
    Posts
    9
    star ocean: til the end of time , yes i know the battle system was cool but oh my christ the story was terribad imo. not to mention the extremely annoying female voice acting (other than nel <3)

  3. #3
    SHIT! Neg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38,658
    Somebody doesn't like linear games~

  4. #4
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    Hey there, Death:

    Whilst Star Ocean: TLH and FF13 are both fairly disappointing to some degree or another, I think it's unfair to label them in the 'worst RPG' categories. There are a hell of a lot of extremely substandard RPGs out there. By comparison, SO:TLH and FF13 can be considered masterpieces! Most of the RPGs from yesteryear are worse, simply because instead of being state of the art, current gen, up to the minute mediocrity, they are old gen, heavily dated mediocrity (complete with charisma and sometimes personality free characters, bad translations and now awful graphics and controls).

    I do in fact consider TLH to be one of the best true RPGs of this gen (as FF13, Mass Effect 2 etc barely count as RPGs at all). But before we get too carried away, it's only one of the best because most of the titles have been so rubbish. To even call it average would be generous, but its more than most of the other RPGs released recently deserve.

    I also think The Last Remnant is pretty poor (its utterly terrible actually, but there is the odd suggestion that it could have been better). I disagree incidentally about the incest thing. I certainly don't think JRPGs are above such things, but I didn't get that impression here - I thought it was fairly clear that there was a love triangle between Rush, Irina and David, but not in the two guys both fancy the girl way... But anyway, I think you can say that both Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery (which I agree was every bit as bad as you say), are both strong contenders for this Gen's wooden spoon of RPGs. I'd also throw in Lost Odyssey - an unbelievably flat and boring game, with only one great character (Jansen), a laughably plain main couple and a ridiculous scenery chewing enemy. The 'novel excerpts' were also atrociously overrated (but there are a few decent ones).

    But like I say, I probably wouldn't say that any of these were the worst RPG I'd ever played. They were in the main, depressingly average or poor, but I'd still rather play them than FF2 or 3 for example.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 11-21-2012 at 11:05 PM.

  5. #5
    ... topopoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,014
    There are many, RPG that I played that sucked a lot, but I can't think of anyone right now, I really forget them. Except for MothaFucka FFIX that I hate it with passion, it's turning pathological.
    Of Course the RPG that I don't remember many of them are probably worse than IX
    V for Valhalla

  6. #6
    SHIT! Neg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38,658
    lol, remind me again what's so bad about IX? I'd understand if you hated II or X or IV

  7. #7
    Goren
    Guest
    Ooooh~ you just wanted to say that, didn't you!?

    You just wanted me to post in this thread...

    Alright about Xenosaga I am pretty sure it warned you in the box that it had over a million hours of cutscenes... looks like you weren't paying attention...

  8. #8
    SHIT! Neg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38,658
    Xenosaga is love. XIII is the Xenosaga fan's Final Fantasy. This all adds up.

  9. #9
    ... topopoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg View Post
    lol, remind me again what's so bad about IX? I'd understand if you hated II or X or IV
    IV? what's hateable about IV? It's the best Classic FF easily to me.

    I didn't played X yet, but I'm not interested on playing it either. There's no reason to hate it... Yet. xD

    The hate towards II that many people feel is unfair IMO & I liked that FF even though it had many Flaws.

    I hate IX, because....
    check [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    from there to the end I hope it answers your questions...

  10. #10
    Silent Shriner #3 doomjockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,282
    I'll only do the more recent. Otherwise, I could bitch for hours:

    I didn't care for Star Ocean 3 much... It was not a bad game, but I was utterly disappointed. I felt like the space in the game was handled pretty badly. The galaxy felt so small... probably cos you were stuck on tremendously backwater planets for 90% of the game. KoTOR (then ME) quickly supplanted that franchise as my gotos for sci fi roleplaying.

    Magna Carta. As if it needs explaining.

    Overall, Risen was definitely forgettable. "Poor man's Oblivion" is accurate.

    Neverwinter Nights 2 is not a bad RPG, but I got a goddam axe to grind with this thing. It is a decent game hiding beneath a number of frustrating flaws. A valuable party member should never be somehow replaced with a happy dog

    Neverwinter Nights is probably the worst BioWare RPG I've ever played. They must've spent all of two months on the single-player game. It's pretty poor by their standards.

    White Knight Chronicles is probably one of my biggest disappointments right now. At least it got me to replay ME2, I guess.

    Speaking of, Mass Effect 2 isn't anywhere near the worst, but I was pretty disappointed with how much uh.. "RPGness" they took out in the name of pretty marketing terms like "streamlining". I like to collect items and upgrade equipment in RPGs. Exploration too.

  11. #11
    Evie is "Out of this World" HuggyB18's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco U.S.A
    Posts
    228
    Umm hope I don't get ridiculed for this but besides the soundtrack I felt Persona 4 was pretty awful.

  12. #12
    Goren
    Guest
    GET OUT!!!




    JK, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS NEW PERSON

    Oops, Caps.

  13. #13
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    I can see why people would have a grudge against SO3 (though I personally consider it one of my favourite RPGs). Because as good as it often is, it doesn't play fair with how it pretends it will be all about space, then dumps you for most of the game on a fantasy planet, doing fantasy era things. For me though, if you make your peace with that, it's a great ride. It's just a shame that the last third of the game is so dodgy.

    And I absolutely agree about Mass Effect 2 - not a bad game by any means, but an RPG, you say? You're havin' a larf...
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 11-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.

  14. #14
    Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    I'm On A BOAT!!
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by doomjockey View Post
    Magna Carta. As if it needs explaining.
    Agreed.



    Stella Deus - ............. This game caused me sooooooo much RAGE... before I went to the final battle, I spent 8 (oh yes I counted!) 8 HOURS fusing weapons. Not side-quests. Not leveling. FUSING. Just fusing! I wanted to destroy stuff I was so upset. And the end game sequence was so..... unrewarding T.T The rarity of the game makes no sense to me. I didn't enjoy any of the art either.


    Lux-Pain - .............. when do I get to do anything?........


    Kingdom Hearts 365/2 Days - it's just............. *sigh*


    I know there's more, but remembering my rage of Stella Dues has caused me to forget them at the moment.

    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  15. #15
    SHIT! Neg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38,658
    Trance does suck. Everything else about the game was perfectly fine to me.

  16. #16
    Silent Shriner #3 doomjockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    Stella Deus - ............. This game caused me sooooooo much RAGE...
    I knew there was a reason I gave up on this one.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    I can see why people would have a grudge against SO3 (though I personally consider it one of my favourite RPGs).

    Because as good as it often is, it doesn't play fair with how it pretends it will be all about space, then dumps you for most of the game on a fantasy planet, doing fantasy era things.
    I was totally willing to forgive and get on with the game-- I did for about 60 hours. And when they finally allow you off planet, it got interesting for a bit with the mysterious Executioners showing up, but the twist ruined that for me.

    I might be done with that series. They somehow boil a galaxy's worth of problems down to teenagers with medieval weaponry.

    And I absolutely agree about Mass Effect 2 - not a bad game by any means, but an RPG, you say?
    I wouldn't say it's not RP.

    I just don't like that they chose to remove elements born of ME1 instead of improving on them. BioWare's claims "we made it better" in most cases meant "we removed it". Elevators. Planetary exploration. Item management. Goddamn cop out.

    'Cept for the elevators cos those were just annoying.

  17. #17
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    And no other RPGs you've played, solve everyone's troubles, by using teens wielding swords? What are these fabulous RPGs, because I've never played them?! Seriously though, you are right about the twist. I actually didn't mind the idea as much as some did, but I did think it was poorly executed. The game just stops doing anything interesting with its characters (it becomes the Fayt, Maria and Sophia show - yawn).

    But I'd still rather play it than most anything from this gen!
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 11-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.

  18. #18
    Grand Shriner recorderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    149

    pirated terror!

    Pokemon Red - NES.

    I'm not kidding.

    It's a pirate, obviously.

    I couldn't get too far (half because of how bad it is, the other half because music was driving me crazy) but this guy went through the whole thing:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    Oh, also, the music's worse on this one (this is pkmn gold nes), but no full lp to my knowing.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    I don't think you can beat this stuff as far as bad RPGs.

    Enjoy...?
    Look!
    It's a flash animator!
    It's a VGM remixer!
    No, it's INSANE!

    [url]http://recorderdude.newgrounds.com/


  19. #19
    Silent Shriner #3 doomjockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    And no other RPGs you've played, solve everyone's troubles, by using teens wielding swords?

    What are these fabulous RPGs, because I've never played them?!
    The example was meant to be specific. Besides Star Wars, I can't really get behind "sword trumps everything" when it's used in this sort of sci-fi. Ironically, it probably makes more sense in SO universe because of the twist.

  20. #20
    SHIT! Neg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38,658
    I like it when people attack tanks and 100 ft. tall turtles WITH THEIR FISTS, personally.

  21. #21
    Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    I'm On A BOAT!!
    Posts
    10,808
    And let's not forget about the giant enemy crabs

  22. #22
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    I think its worth bearing in mind that SO3 and 4 actually do address this very point. Fayt only initially intends to use the sword on Vanguard 3 and Elicoor 2, to stay in line with their tech level, preserve the illusion that he is from those planets etc. By the time he's ready to leave Elicoor 2 though, he's learnt that there is much more to himself than he realised. He's hardly just a kid with a sword by then, is he? How do you like your Vendeeni Battlecruisers - over easy or sunny side up?

    As to how they can stand up to guns, you only start facing those when the Vendeeni show up. You meet Maria when that happens (who does use a gun, incidentally), and her power creates personal shielding of a kind. So the game can use that to explain how the characters can face up to the Vendeeni guns etc. The guard system could also be considered a kind of personal shielding. Okay, everyone has it, but who's to say the characters aren't actually using some kind of discreet shielding devices? And the game makes it plain at the start that Klausians such as Cliff and Mirage have a very high resistance to energy weapons (Cliff is utterly insulted that Norton thinks his energy rifle will do anything to a Klausian). It's not perfect, but at least the games are making some effort to explain it, even if we know the real reason is obviously 'Swords and Martial arts are cooler than guns'!

    I hear what you're saying, though. It is quite distracting in RPGs in general, when your party of simply dressed, modestly armed teens can defeat ancient Dragons (who very sportingly land in order to fight you) and heavily armed Dreadnoughts etc etc. But you've just got to go with it, haven't you? And like I say, Star Ocean does realise that some explanations must be made, so I applaud them for that.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 11-21-2012 at 11:10 PM.

  23. #23
    jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by doomjockey View Post
    Speaking of, Mass Effect 2 isn't anywhere near the worst, but I was pretty disappointed with how much uh.. "RPGness" they took out in the name of pretty marketing terms like "streamlining". I like to collect items and upgrade equipment in RPGs. Exploration too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    And I absolutely agree about Mass Effect 2 - not a bad game by any means, but an RPG, you say?

    You're havin' a larf...
    Mass Effect 2 may not be what is traditionally called a RPG per se... but is more a Action RPG instead. Personally, I liked how Bioware streamlined the inventory as having to constantly throw away/sell older weapons/armor/upgrades/etc to have room for new stuff irritated me. You could still upgrade your weapons in ME2, just in a different way from the prequel.

    As quoted on Wikipedia about Action RPG's:

    Return to roleplaying

    While most action-RPGs focus on hack & slash while exploring a world and building character stats, some titles contain many dialogue choices with consequences in the game world. Some games such as Star Ocean, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Fallout 3 and Fable allow player to make many game-altering choices in dialogues and events, while still maintaining their respective action elements, whether be in the first person or the third person. However, a full-fledged dialogue system with highly impressionable NPC as seen in pure PC-RPGs did not appear in an action RPG until the release of Gothic series (2001, 2002, 2006) and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in 2004. In 2007, CD Projekt's The Witcher increased the amount of world-altering choices in dialogue on par with a classic RPG

  24. #24
    Silent Shriner #3 doomjockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,282
    I definitely have to disagree and call this streamlining what it is: dumbing down.

    Inventory never hurt an RPG unless it was done piss poor to begin with. And it wasn't. It was just clunky in ME1. The upgrade system is now a scavenger hunt, you can't customize weapons, and can barely customize armour. What BioWare did to ME2 is shallow design disguised as trimming bloat.

  25. #25
    A curious shark. Eshvoide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    845
    - Arc the Lad: End of Darkness (PS2)
    - Final Fantasy VIII (8) & IX (9) (PSX)
    - Funky Fantasy (Saturn)
    - Legend of Legaia 2 (PS2)
    - Unlimited Saga (PS2) <- probably one of the worst RPG in my history of gaming

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •