Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Worst RPG/s You've Played To Date?

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zenx1 View Post
    Ultima series
    Elder Scrolls series
    Every RPG by Atlus
    Every RPG by Bioware
    Every RPG by Nippon Ichi
    Every RPG by Idea Factory
    Every RPG by Square Enix
    Every RPG by Falcom
    Every RPG by Camelot
    Every RPG by Sega
    Every RPG by Chunsoft
    Every RPG by Game Arts
    Every Mario RPG
    Lufia series
    Suikoden series
    Pokemon series
    Mother series
    Dark Cloud series
    Breath of Fire series
    System Shock series
    Deus Ex series
    Divine Divinity
    Sonic Chronicles
    Astonishia Story
    Blade Dancer
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Fuck it... Every single RPG in existence

2hipster4you?
    You've been a member here since 2007 and THIS is your ONLY post in all this time?

If you're going to post in a thread, at least post in one where you have some to contribute to the discussion and not blatantly flame/attack others in general.

God damn trolls.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Onion Kid
    Blue Dragon. Mediocrity Squared. Derivative, uninteresting, grindy plotless mess.

Shriner
    Easy question: Diablo II. On the other hand: that's actually not a real rpg
    Per aspera ad astra!

Final Fantasy XV.
    Not my worst RPG but my biggest disappointment ever.
    I might encounter some ennemies here for saying that but, heh, can you truly say it's the FF we deserved ?

꧁Heart & mind unfolding꧂ franzito's Avatar
    FF XIII-2.
    Last edited by franzito; 03-19-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    Ama et quod vis fac

Check out my [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (good & rare stuff) : D

Wow I'd have to think about what the worst ever I've played is...if I didn't like it, I most likely forgot it...wasn't that happy with FFXII though. Or FFX2 for that matter...except for the happy/perfect ending. I can't even remember FFV, even though I've played and beaten it.

Final Fantasy XV +1

Onion Kid
    Lightning Saga definitely

Onion Kid
    You know, I'm seeing quite a bit of mediocre rpgs on this list...

Let me tell you a little something about bad RPGs

A bad rpg is a video game that fails to engage you as a puzzle-solver, a reader, or even a fan of artistic representation of things on a screen. A bad rpg will actively attempt to insult your intelligence, even when you think your expectations could sink no lower. It is a set of rules that is never communicated to you as a player.

A bad RPG commits to the greatest sin of all gaming- being boring.

Meet Quest 64.

Nintendo fucked up when they didn't get Squaresoft's games on the N64. They KNEW this. They were AWARE that they were lacking in that classic genre of gaming. So they went and got the most gifted RPG studio in Japan to make a nintendo 64 RPG... they failed, and got Imagineer instead.

Quest 64 stars a mage named Brian. That's right- his name is Brian. Even in the Japanese version.

This game accomplishes the unimaginable feat of being as boring as humanly possible. There's no currency in the game- they just give you items. There's no consequences for failure- you just respawn at the last inn you saved at. There's no worthwhile characters. The world is mostly a green square devoid of landmarks that gets misty if you look too far. The monsters reused a LOT- to the point where some bosses are just monsters with a color tint. There's no real choices to make. It is just you, moving Brian around, and cast spells at monsters. If you run out of mana, you are shit outta luck because magic is the only worthwhile mechanic in the game.

Also, the only Final Fantasy game that deserved to be mentioned on a "Worst RPG list" is Mystic Quest, which at least has the decency to give you unique dungeons to explore.

EDIT: Oh yeah, special shout out to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on the Game Boy Advance, which accomplished the ONE THING I never expected an RPG to do- be actively worse than its predecessors. No, I don't mean Sorceror's Stone or Chamber of Secrets for the Game Boy Advance.

No, I mean Soreror's Stone and Chamber of Secrets for the Game Boy COLOR.

Look, entry level RPGs are a rare breed. There aren't that many games out there that can offer mechanical depth to a novice in a manner that isn't overwhelming. Harry Potter on the Game Boy Color was one such RPG, a comforting romp through Hogwarts that let the player explore and be rewarded for that exploration in turn. It had potion crafting systems, a collectible card game system that gave you access to special combo spells, and the leveling system let you level up spells in addition to your own stats. They were really solid rpgs.

The Prisoner of Azkaban? It was clearly not by the same guys. Everything from the mixed-up sloppy visuals to the pitiful sound quality screamed "we don't know wtf we're doing!" They took out the potion crafting, classes had individual dungeons and even worse- they threw in the interaction puzzles from Golden Sun with only half the effort put into it.
    Last edited by gguy123; 08-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Secret of the stars on snes:Horrible jrpg terrible story villain's name is homncruise not sure if he's related to tom cruise, maybe he's hunting you down for making fun of scientology.

FFXIII in my opinion should make the list of rpgs that is overrated and WAY WAY WAY not as good as previous games.It has a sloppy story which is melodramatic and its linear and the characters are emo and i hate half the characters, and the villain is a boring cliché villain which makes me miss FFV which at least had a entertaining villain.

Fable 2 was ok but i dunno maybe it was because its in spanish but it didn't leave much of a impression.Doesn't help i can't take spanish acting seriously because it reminds me of a mexican telenovela of this kind:

This is what spanish acting is like:Over the top and just plain horrible.Nothing sounds natural when dubbed, and the spanish have no idea because they are so used to watching dubbed things.

Role-playing games? Sounds kinky. Sign me up.
    The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    Secret of the stars on snes:Horrible jrpg terrible story villain's name is homncruise not sure if he's related to tom cruise, maybe he's hunting you down for making fun of scientology.

FFXIII in my opinion should make the list of rpgs that is overrated and WAY WAY WAY not as good as previous games.It has a sloppy story which is melodramatic and its linear and the characters are emo and i hate half the characters, and the villain is a boring cliché villain which makes me miss FFV which at least had a entertaining villain.

Fable 2 was ok but i dunno maybe it was because its in spanish but it didn't leave much of a impression.Doesn't help i can't take spanish acting seriously because it reminds me of a mexican telenovela of this kind:

This is what spanish acting is like:Over the top and just plain horrible.Nothing sounds natural when dubbed, and the spanish have no idea because they are so used to watching dubbed things.
    Its funny that you mention dubbing. Out of pure self-hating curiosity, I tried playing Final Fantasy XIII in Japanese for kicks and giggles.

FFXIII is not improved by the change in language- its a video game that lacks almost any of the depth you might have to come to expect in an rpg. But my GOD some of the translations for the english version of FFXIII take away so much from the overall experience.

Snow, for example.

In the English version of the game, Snow is said to have a desire to be a real "hero." Now, the term "hero" means a variety of things, and its definition can be incredibly personal. So, whenever Snow says he's gonna be a real "hero" you have no fucking clue what he has in mind.
    In Japanese, Snow wants to be a man. An "Aniki." A leader. This is a FAR more specific goal, and when taken into context with the rest of his actions, it makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE. His laid back attitude, his beef with Lightning, it all makes sense when you take his desire to be a real man's man into account. He challenges Lightning's authority because the two have so much history of putting each other down. This is just one example. Sazh is great in both- the dude just wants to save his son, inadvertently cursing his son in the process. Its good tragedy, and it leads to a good character. Kinda wish the whole game was about him.
    FFXIII is just not a good time. But its dub made it even worse.