Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Worst RPG/s You've Played To Date?

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    I thought of another one I didn't like at all.

Threads of Fate - even though it's from Squaresoft, it just did not seem like the quality game I expected from them. Not that I expected a high standard before I started playing it. As I remember, you choose between a boy or girl character to play as through the whole game. The boy had a melee attack and the girl had a mid-range magic attack (I think she threw purple light rings). They couldn't do much of anything else. I remember it being a boring platformer with nothing going for it. I played through the first boss and half a dungeon with the girl character. I just couldn't make it any further. Just so...... uninteresting. Yet another game that I fail to understand the rarity of.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Eshvoide View Post
    - Final Fantasy VIII (8) & IX (9) (PSX)
    I was Starting to feel lonely on thinking that me & Smarty were the only ones around here hating IX.
    xD
    V for Valhalla

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    I was Starting to feel lonely on thinking that me & Smarty were the only ones around here hating IX.
    xD
    I don't hate it; I don't love it either. I have beef with it because when I finished the game, my save file told me I'd spent 90+ hours playing it. After that, I stopped playing video games for a couple years.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently CUSTOM songlist and 10th ANNIVERSARY encores
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    I don't hate it; I don't love it either. I have beef with it because when I finished the game, my save file told me I'd spent 90+ hours playing it. After that, I stopped playing video games for a couple years.
    That's one interesting side effect...

90+ Hours... Surely you were doing some side-quests & stuff.

I got sucked into the stupid card game. I was trying to get all of them.

I got them all. Twas good times.

Wait til you play XII and spend 213 hours on it, and realize you aren't even like halfway through.

Besides Hydlide?

For me it's Breath of Fire III. I played this game years ago and it simply bored me to tears in every possible way. Very rarely do I just simply reject a game and toss it into the trash, but BOFIII was that game for me. Boring story, boring characters. Bland gameplay. Just unplayable. And I HATED having to go fishing to progress the game. Seriously, I hate this game with a raging boner of hatred.

Final Fantasy XII is pretty much second on my list too.

I really disliked Breath of Fire III, too, even though I finished it. And then I played and finished Breath of Fire IV, which I also didn't like.

BOF 1 and 2 are a lot of fun, though.

Grand Shriner
    I agree with Doom, streamlining is one thing, but ME2 was dumbed down, plain and simple.

The Mako sections for instance, should have been improved, not removed entirely. The inventory system would have been better served by simply making more of the equipment useful, letting gear be upgraded or allowing factors to be grafted from one bit of kit onto other equipment through item synthesis etc. Levelling up was a farce this time round too, with it seeming like an afterthought. You gain points so slowly, often unable to afford anything useful at level up. When you do get enough, you *will* buy the passive Class skills that increase Paragon/Renegade points first, because its crazy not to. Also, no effort was made to make the various skills and abilities balanced or worthwhile, so you find 2 skills and an ammo that work for you (probably unlocked at character creation), and just stick with those.

Add in the general absence of side quests beyond 'kill the merc gang' and 'fetch this item from someone next door' etc and the almost complete absence of significant NPCs outside the main missions... The game has a lot to recommend it, but it lost a hell of a lot too. It's a lightweight experience that requires you to create new characters to expand its longevity.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 11-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    I'd have to say a most of the Saga and Tales games have been pretty lame to me.

I was also, VERY, disappointed in Infinite Space.
    It's not 'the worst game ever', but it's nothing like I was hoping.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I agree with Jrag with 'fishing' to advance the game...
    - Dark Chronicle 2 (what was the US name again), it was a good game though...
    - Sonic Adventure (eff you Big... I caught a 29.5lb fish... but no you want 30)

---

Breath of Fire III
    - I hate walking through the damn desert part. I was also disappointed with the character development. Only liked a few songs like 'boss battle' and 'chickens in the night'

Threads of Fate (Dew Prism, JP)
    - I just found the game to be really difficult at some points. Mint with the two attack rings who could use magic while the guy who absorb monster abilities to become monsters was it?

Final Fantasy IX
    - Yeah I really did not like the game. I actually hate it more than VIII. I was very disappointed in the music overall and the game froze on me a LOT.

Evie is "Out of this World" HuggyB18's Avatar
    Lunar has let me down before, and the last couple grandias were.......hmm Uneventful.

Grand Shriner
    I remember some of the music in FF9 being quite strange. The bit where the theatre ship is escaping from Alexandria is a dramatic action scene, but the music is some laid back tinkling little tune!

It's the same when Black Waltz no.3 is chasing you through the Lindblum gate - big action scene, jolly and peaceful music.

It can't beat Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for out of place music (the jazz... why the jazz?!), but still...

Terra and Pandemonium had good music, though. And the Chocobo theme was great.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doomjockey View Post
    I definitely have to disagree and call this streamlining what it is: dumbing down.

Inventory never hurt an RPG unless it was done piss poor to begin with. And it wasn't. It was just clunky in ME1. The upgrade system is now a scavenger hunt, you can't customize weapons, and can barely customize armour. What BioWare did to ME2 is shallow design disguised as trimming bloat.
    In ME1, you had only a limited inventory space, which would fill up rapidly with all the armor, weapons, upgrades so you had to constantly manage it to make sure you had enough space for new gear. That irritated me about ME1.

The Upgrade system in ME2 does work, via the research/upgrade function aboard the Normandy. You can customize weapons not only by research options, but also your character's skills (IE: Disruptor Ammo, Incendiary Ammo, Armor Piercing Ammo etc), where you can in effect have a different ammo type for each weapon which last for each mission you're on. The N7 armor has 4 upgrades for each piece, as well as altering color etc (though the recent Equalizer DLC adds two new headpieces and then there's the Dr.Pepper DLC as well). Yes, you are limited to how far you can customize them, but that's not a real limitation imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    I agree with Doom, streamlining is one thing, but ME2 was dumbed down, plain and simple.

The Mako sections should have been improved, not removed. The inventory system would have been better served by simply making more of the equipment useful, letting gear be upgraded or allowing factors to be grafted from one bit of kit onto other equipment through item synthesis etc.
    There was a DLC called Firewalker, which added Mako-esque missions to the game. The other items you listed above, I raised earlier in this post.

Levelling up was a farce, and made practically no difference whatsoever this time round. And no effort was made to make the various skills and abilities balanced or worthwhile.

Each career has 1-2 abiltities that you use ad infinitum.
    True there were a couple where you'd use 1 ability more than others (Example: Engineer class and call a Combat Drone), but it depends on how you play and what classification you pick your character to be.

Add in the general absence of side quests beyond 'kill the merc gang' and fetch this item from someone next door etc and the almost complete absence of significant NPCs outside the main missions...
    'General absence of side quests'? There's quite a few of them actually, at least 5 on each planet/station you go to. On Omega for example, there's heaps there, some involve going to another planet/station and then return to Omega.

The absence of significant NPC's outside the main missions though... I will agree with that, but that's a minor thing imo.

It has a lot to reccomend it, but it lost a hell of a lot too. It's a lightweight experience that requires you to create new characters to expand its longevity.
    'Fraid I have to disagree with you there. Even starting a new game, there's still a lot to do, as well as getting use to the class your character is, not all of them are the simple 'Draw-your-weapon-and-shoot'. Import your character from the first over, and you can find out the consequences of some of your actions from the first. Here's a list:

Taken from Mass Effect Wiki

Major Plot Decisions

Spoiler!

Assignment Decisions

Spoiler!
    Still, you both have your opinion and while I may disagree with what you say, I do respect them.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
    In ME1, you had only a limited inventory space, which would fill up rapidly with all the armor, weapons, upgrades so you had to constantly manage it to make sure you had enough space for new gear. That irritated me about ME1.
    I've never disagreed that it wasn't great. It's just funny to me that people praise the removal as if it was the only or best option.

The Upgrade system in ME2 does work, via the research/upgrade function aboard the Normandy. You can customize weapons not only by research options, but also your character's skills
    Researching isn't customization. It's the weapon/armour store. Customisation comparable with ME1 is more or less gone. Even ammo is arbitrarily restricted by class to only a few squad mates. It's in no way on par with ME1.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    I really disliked Breath of Fire III, too, even though I finished it. And then I played and finished Breath of Fire IV, which I also didn't like.

BOF 1 and 2 are a lot of fun, though.
    Man. I really liked BoF3. Probably my favourite of the franchise. Definitely the last one I praised.

Quote Originally Posted by Eshvoide View Post
    Final Fantasy IX
    - Yeah I really did not like the game. I actually hate it more than VIII. I was very disappointed in the music overall...
    You know I was a little disappointed by the music too, surely some tracks were really really good I'll admit that, but many more of them I found them annoying.
    Specially the Battle themes, I thought that they were really weak, Ambush Attack is just damn too annoying & also the World Map Theme was forgettable.

Grand Shriner
    Ooh, 5 whole side quests in each city?! Why didn't you say so?! Seriously though, be fair - that's utterly miserable. And besides, regardless of how many there are in a given area, it isn't like these quests are huge and intricate, is it? Most of them don't even require you to leave the room, let alone have to visit other cities or look for something off the beaten track. It's fetch and carry busy work, with no extra spice to make you care.

The side missions on the Normandy are overwhelmingly 'Go and kill Merc band for some credits'. The others include 'classic' quests like 'Go and tell a Krogan there are no fish in the water'... 'Give a Mechanic a bit of gear you can't help but pick up on the main mission and can do nothing else with', 'Buy some food for the Normandy cook(!)'

Gripping stuff...

And come on - the character classes are utterly tactic free. If you hide behind cover (and there's always some around), the enemies CANNOT kill you. Only their Vanguards ever come forward to root you out and there are never many of them, so they are easily dealt with. I can still remember how 'tactical' my first playthrough was... Singularity, Warp, Singularity, Warp, Singularity, Warp... On every enemy.. every damn one.

And I can't believe you brought up that consequences of your actions thing. Even the mags that utterly raved about ME2 like it was the greatest thing ever, admitted how they developed your choices was severely limited and terminally disappointing. As for longevity, even the slowest, most deliberately paced players will have everything done and dusted by the 40 hour mark (at the absolute, absolute maximum - I mean, what on earth were you doing, if you took anywhere near that long?!)

Compare that with the 100+ hours that people can easily sink into FF or other RPGs, and still not have nearly found and done everything.

Look, I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's not a bad game, but it's far, far from the perfect game that people would have you believe. It was enjoyable enough for a knockabout first time round, but it WAS dumbed down and that made it an ultimately short-lived and lightweight experience.

But each to their own, as I've said before. If people loved it, then good on them. I didn't, but there's no crime in that.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 11-21-2012 at 10:59 PM.

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar
    I guess I haven't played too many bad RPGs in my life since Quest 64 was the only one that came to mind.

Let's see...

Tales of Symphonia
    Thousand Arms

That's all I can think of. I guess I've been lucky.

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    I thought of another one I hate with a ferocious intensity.

The Hobbit (gc version).......... *raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!!!!!!!* I don't know what the crap they did with the story.... It was just utterly ruined. The programming was garbage. So many camera glitches and ill designed 'boss' battles......... I gave up on it. I got stuck at a 'boss' battle with a necromancer. I don't know why there was necromancer to begin with anyway. The fight was in a gated round area where you can't go forward and you can't go back. The game's horribly linear (nothing against linear but this was just atrocious)......... grrrr......... the rage......

Like God and Whiskey...only better. Byrd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HuggyB18 View Post
    Lunar has let me down before, .
    You're a faggot. Get the fuck out.
    Something profound goes here...but I can't remember what it is.

Evie is "Out of this World" HuggyB18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    You're a faggot. Get the fuck out.
    What!

Like God and Whiskey...only better. Byrd's Avatar
    You heard me. Hating on Lunar. How dare you. Both Lunars are a pair of the greatest RPGs ever made. True classics in every sense of the word. Awesome.

I hated Lunar 2. I distinctly remember wishing it was a human so that I could beat it up.
    ON OCTOBER 26th, 2009, FFSHRINE FORUM MEMBER "budarc" POSTED A MOVIE REVIEW THREAD IN GENERAL DISCUSSION INSTEAD OF IN THE TV/MOVIE FORUM WHERE IT BELONGED..

Suikoden. ^-')b

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo View Post
    I hated Lunar 2. I distinctly remember wishing it was a human so that I could beat it up.
    I agree... Lunar 2 never seemed to live up to Lunar Silver Star Story imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    Suikoden. ^-')b
    Wha? Why the Suikoden hate? Though if it was Suikoden IV/Tactics, then I could understand the hate.

@Vrykolas & doomjockey

You have your reasons for disliking ME2, and that's fine. Myself, I thoroughly enjoyed ME2 even more than ME1 (Hell, I've finished ME2 multiple times) and I have recommended ME2 to friends etc as it's a damn good game. While it may not be 'perfect' for you, it's near perfect to me.