Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So My Thoughts on FFXII

Onion Kid
    I played this game several times. The story isn't that great, it's not really a gamebreaker though. Gameplay is really great and if you guys never played the ijzs, I'd recommend that. Way better

Registered User TheSupremeRuler's Avatar
    Every FF game have three main vectors: characters development, battle system and plot.

I loved the new battle system when compared with the previous FF games. It brought a more dynamic approach to the battles although it could be improved but nonetheless it was a very nice upgrade.

The story itself was ok. A good departure from previous titles. instead of a epic effort to save the world from an horrendous end, we have a more down-to-earth theme. It might not be the regular western political drama but still it was a nice story. But regarding the pace of the game have some critics. A great deal of the game is used leveling up and when we are back in the story there´s a sense of lost because we were far from the story for quite a long time battling.

In terms of character development a lot could be done differently but as someone said before, changing directors in the mid of the game developing did not help. I did not sense there was a close link between the group as happened in other FF where most of them could relate between each other. I did not like Vaan at all and Balthier could be a better lead character than Vaan. Overall we could see almost all characters growing along the game (not Penelo...).

Still, I liked very much this game! I like the battles, the huge amount of map to travel and discover, tons of extra and side quests. The story was a refreshing departure from previous games and the characters were overall likable although under-developed.

꧁Heart & mind unfolding꧂ franzito's Avatar
    The story certainly ISN'T the strongest point in FF XII. It features too many subplots that, together, just don't make sense and seem to be an excuse to show the game various locations (thank God Square let you skip cutscenes here). Characters aren't that special too although they all mingle well (their battle cries are better than their dialogs). Summoning is a mixed bag as the actual summons are nothing but a couple of visually entertaining animations triggered by unusual circunstances (Zodiark's Final Eclipse is only possible when the summoner is in Stone status... how useful is that considering all the trouble to get Zodiark in the game's final hours even if you can cast Break in your character?). The License Board is also a pain in the ass if you don't manage properly.

FF XII is all about side quests and that's where the game shines! The Clan Hunts are very time-consuming but are damn worth if you follow the dialogs. The Rare Game is quite a treat, not to mention the Clan Centurio Rank and Sky Pirate's Den (they work as a sort of an "achievement system" pre-PS3's trophy system if you like to collect everything). The dungeons are huge and full of cool monsters (although both tend to repeat their designs), the loot farming is very friendly when you learn the basics and getting the most powerful weapons is rewarding. Gambit system is a double-edged sword but runs smoothly after some time and there are the Quickenings (characters' otherworldly powerful special attacks) that add more "fantasy" to the mix and can wipe out bosses quickly when used correctly.

FF XII is a solid experience and it takes itself too seriously. However, its flaws just exacerbate the fact that the game is more action-oriented in spite of being strategy-driven at some points.
    Ama et quod vis fac

Check out my [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (good & rare stuff) : D

Grand Shriner
    I take issue with that 'action over strategy' statement - the Gambit system is one of the most in depth strategic aids in any game! Just trying to button bash your way past bosses like Yiazmat and Zodiark... won't work!

As for taking itself too seriously, well that's always going to be something I can't see eye to eye with people on. I like serious games, and I don't agree that games shouldn't take themselves seriously. I'm not saying all games should, but when so few games do, then why can't us more sober types have the occasional game to ourselves?!

Vrykolas, Yiazmat is an optional battle just like other ones, they offer a great deal of strategy rather than button mashing and that's cool, button mashing a ultra fiend like Yiazmat would be just tiresome after the first 10 minutes.

Grand Shriner
    Well yes but come on - how many of the Final Fantasy games need you to put in all that much strategy until the post game? The FF games are really good games, but they aren't hard games. FF7 is not a hard game, but the WEAPONS sure are hard. FF9 is not hard, but Ozma is something else. FF10 is easy as pie, but the dark Aeons are outrageously tough etc etc etc.

Basically, I'm saying that the systems in these games don't really get tested or used by most players to even a tenth of their potential, simply becasue there's usually no need to get that deep into them to complete the games. A surprisingly large number of people play FF7 and get most of the way to the end, without ever using materia (or really understanding what they're doing with them), instead just equipping the most powerful weapons and using potions and items. People go through FF8 without ever really using Draw etc etc.

Its not an optimal way to play these games, but a lot of people don't really care to experiment that much. They just find something that works (usually some variant on the basic attack) and just use that, levelling up now and then in grinding sessions if they find an area too tough. FF13 achieved some infamy for catching such people out with the Barthendelous and Cid Raines boss fights etc.

I'm just saying that we need to judge the robustness and quality of a game's systems on the tougher fights to get an accurate reflection of how good and nuanced they are. All the main game's encounters usually tell you are how accessible and user friendly the systems are (or aren't) to the average gamer. Very few FF main game encounters really demand you to know how to make best use of the systems. Power levelling and buying high performance weapons and armour will let you bluff your way through most of the main games.

Its the post game content where the *real* RPG gamers go for their thrills.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    I'm saying that the systems in these games don't really get tested or used by most players to even a tenth of their potential, simply becasue there's usually no need to get that deep into them to complete the games. A surprisingly large number of people play FF7 and get most of the way to the end, without ever using materia (or really understanding what they're doing with them), instead just equipping the most powerful weapons and using potions and items. People go through FF8 without ever really using Draw etc etc.
    Is that so? Well, part of the strategy in FF VII and VIII revolves around Materia and Draw. If there are people not using them then they're playing the games in a "hard mode". But for what would they do this? A challenge like FF X's infamous NSGNSNCNONENNENBB? Could it be.
    In fact, Materia makes your life in FF VII too sweet if you "pay the price" of spending hours and hours leveling them. I remember going through all the final Sephiroth battles just summoning a fully upgraded Knights of the Round Materia for massive damage and thinking after "Is a final boss supposed to be this easy?". Couldn't help but to feel a little frustrated but I had the choice to not equip the Materia. The same cannot be said about FF VIII's Ultimecia. Her battles are spine-chilling because you can die at any moment and the more you level up, the harder your life is made, so there's a better balance and a better sense of a hard final boss battle regardless of the equipment you have.

Grand Shriner
    They don't intend to play the game in hard mode - it just never occurs to them to actually look into the systems deeper than they have. And yes, many of them don't finish the games, because as various polls and stats will show with just a quick look on Google, people often don't bother playing all the way through games. They play for as long as they care to, then stop.

I'm not arguing that people *should* use Draw and materia etc, only that many people simply can't be bothered to learn this stuff, when the basic attack seems to work. Sure, they might have a hard time against the final bosses etc, but many give up well before then because hey, most gamers don't finish their games even 50% of the time. Even gamers who do use the systems in these games, rarely exploit them to their fullest potential.

The only real difference is that more casual players will never bother to learn this stuff. If it gets too hard, they just quit and never come back. Many more hardcore players will still lean heavily on attacks, skills and combos that appear to work for them, and will only start to experiment when they absolutely, *absolutely* have to. The Souls games for example (i,e Dark souls etc) are full of tales of woes where gamers reached bosses or sections where their chosen style didn't work, and had no idea what to do, so alien was the idea of trying something new or delving into the nuances of the system a bit more etc etc.

I know a lot of this seems like common sense, but a strange and contradictory creature is Man The FF games (hell most of SE's RPGs full stop) have extremely interesting and flexible systems that the majority of gamers completely underuse. Not because they're stupid or trying to be deliberately awkward... just because its what people do. They find something that works, and they do that - forever. When it stops working, chances are they either give up, level up so much that they can ram their usual approach through the problem, or if they really are into it enough, might possibly look for an alternative solution.

How sad is to quit on a game just because some find it "hard"; a waste of money and game's potential I humbly state. Most of the games I own I finished more than once and if I come back is to experiment with the game's system. Last time I played FF VIII I sorta stucked myself (just after the Fire Cavern) on the beach and started to level up the GFs you get at that point. Not to power level them but to upgrade exactly the abilities I can use in future to my advantage. Not in a hurry.

That's the good thing about finishing games: as you know all the story, you're free to search the possibilities the games' systems offer at your heart's content. Linearity is something imposed in FF games to the point we run out of options when it comes to follow a path (it is always the same old one you took the last 10 times you played...) but even so the system is always there to remember you to test with it and make the most of it, no matter how strict the linearity is.

It doesn't add up reaching level 90 to get a huge advantage against difficult parts and tough monsters if you're not willing to get to know the intermediate or advanced tactics, part of the game's fun comes from this "extra knowledge" and, well, it can be optional for lazy, casual players but dedicated ones will have better assessment as they are investing time on it. Soul's games may have its "quitter's legion" but FF series, I mean, to quit on a FF game the person must be or not interested at all or easily annoyed...

Grand Shriner
    I wish I could jab you with a syringe, extract your DNA and have Andrew Ryan (of Bioshock fame) come up with a plasmid to make all modern gamers adopt your entirely sensible approach to gaming!

Its exactly what I do, as well. But sadly, all the stats (just look them up on Google), about game completion rates make for dire reading indeed. Modern gamers just don't bother finishing their games, and they want short, simple, mindless games rather than deep, long and involved ones. And you only have to skim through the trillions of gaming videos on Youtube to see that most gamers don't experiment with systems at all. Even famous Youtubers will usually have Comments sections full of people screaming at them to delve deeper and actually learn how to play the games properly.

But no, instead they just collapse through the games and prove that even when they're constantly getting burned, a lot of gamers just refuse to learn from their mistakes and try something different. I'm not knocking these people - many of them are hilarious and great fun to watch. But in terms of showcasing a willingness to learn and improve at the games (whatever they're playing), most people stay in the button bashing comfort zone.

I never thought "my thoughts on FF XII" would lead to this sharing, very fun indeed. Kindred spirits are hard to find
    Last edited by franzito; 01-12-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Vaan is such an impudent puff. Should've been him and not Reks who took Basch's long, smooth instrument inside of him at the beginning of the game.
    The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

Wow are people still talking about this game? My thoughts are that this is the game that made me decide to not bother with any future games in the franchise. None of the characters impressed me(though Balthier and Fran could have been the most interesting) with their personalities and their appearances didn't work for me either, I didn't find the story original or compelling, just a Star Wars ripoff, and the gameplay annoyed me, except for being able to recoup your magic points just by walking around. By the time it was done I didn't feel like I had played a final fantasy game, reminded me of how many times a book has been 'adapted' to the big screen and you get all excited to go see the movie cause you loved the book, but you get to the theater and you're like "WTF was THAT?!" when you find out only the names are the same...same feeling I had. It may have the Final Fantasy title on it, but it's not for me. If others love it, more power to 'em.
    Yes, I like Reno's character quite well. If you don't, that's your problem, not mine.