Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFXIII theme song by Leona Lewis

I don't know anything about her history, but I heard her sing and I didn't like it at all. That's it for me.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I like things that are good Rapture's Avatar
    That's all there is to know. The song will take away all authenticity. Leona Lewis won a talent contest heavily publicized by the UK Media desisgned to produce singers that are both commercially viable and accessible with hefty record deals. It should be as far from the video-game as is physically possible. The video-game industry is already spouting out an endless stream of unoriginal games and franchises, without it being tainted by the absolute core of what is wrong with the music industry.

That's it for me!
    You know Maggie, the sooner kids talk the sooner they talk back. I hope you never say a word.

Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Funny you'd say that. Cause the singer for the original Japanese theme, Sayuri Sugawara, comes from the exact same kind of background. _

I haven't heard the original theme. I tend not to like the main themes from Final Fantasy games.

It seems like they just slapped Lewis' song onto the game because of the popularity of the artist. I mean, the woman can sing, no doubt, but I dunno if she was the best choice. No Hikaru Utada...? No Koda Kumi...?

I haven't heard the original theme yet, though, so maybe this is a better choice, creatively, but...eh. I can't say this song makes me MORE excited for the game...(>_>)

As big of a fan I am of Utada Hikaru and Koda Kumi, they hold no candle to Leona when it comes to vocal talent. Like, it's an insult to compare them.

This song isn't her best, but I won't be quick to judge. Her voice sounds great, and if they can fit a scene into the music, so be it. I'll gladly buy the game.

It's the most generic R&B ever conceived. But at least it isn't Eyes on Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltoshen View Post
    As big of a fan I am of Utada Hikaru and Koda Kumi, they hold no candle to Leona when it comes to vocal talent. Like, it's an insult to compare them.

This song isn't her best, but I won't be quick to judge. Her voice sounds great, and if they can fit a scene into the music, so be it. I'll gladly buy the game.
    An insult...? To whom, exactly...?

Regardless of Utada/Kumi's talent in comparison to Leona's, the fact remains that fans(even in the US)were okay with the prospect of the original theme, done by the original composer. I dunno who's insight brought about the decision to exchange the original theme with...whatever you'd call this.

I think it's an insult to think slapping some random R&B song onto the US release will increase sales of the game. Hey, I think Leona Lewis can sing, too-MUCH better than Koda Kumi, at least, which isn't much of a feat-but I have no interest in her sound or what she brings to the world of music...much less what she can bring to this game.

Alas, I have no choice in the matter. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by o0 LMoney 0o View Post
    An insult...? To whom, exactly...?

Regardless of Utada/Kumi's talent in comparison to Leona's, the fact remains that fans(even in the US)were okay with the prospect of the original theme, done by the original composer. I dunno who's insight brought about the decision to exchange the original theme with...whatever you'd call this.

I think it's an insult to think slapping some random R&B song onto the US release will increase sales of the game. Hey, I think Leona Lewis can sing, too-MUCH better than Koda Kumi, at least, which isn't much of a feat-but I have no interest in her sound or what she brings to the world of music...much less what she can bring to this game.

Alas, I have no choice in the matter. Rant over.
    Sigh. I don't know where you go to get your feedback. But before they annnounced that they were replacing the song with one of Leone Lewis', most people disliked the Japanese theme like none others in the series so far.

Now that they've replaced it, they still complain.

Whiny bitches, I say.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as many others here. Really just don't care for Leona Lewis and this so called theme song after hearing it. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the mood for whatever pivotal point the song plays at.

Interesting...I'd have perferred that they pick a pre-made song or cover the original...but well it is what it is. Maybe if we invest in Squenix they might actually make decisions that are relevant to the fans.

I don't think we should blame Leona though. This seems more like a decision made by SONY, and i think we all know how those bigshots rule over their artists.

Yeah, we all know how SONY DON'T rule over Square-Enix. _

Why should anyone blame Leona Lewis anyway?

Should people blame the Japanese singer for the original track?

If Leona was approached by S-E to have one of her songs be part of that game, she would have been crazy to refuse given the visibility that it is going to provide her.

So when I start up FFXIII on my 360, this is what I'll hear? Lmao.

For those of you who don't like it. Just email Square to complain not to make these kinds of stupid dumbass marketing changes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    If Leona was approached by S-E to have one of her songs be part of that game, she would have been crazy to refuse given the visibility that it is going to provide her.
    Yes, and it is a shame that a song like these are used for that purpose and not any other. Anyway, it's likely Leona Lewis owns no rights to that song as she most likely didn't even write it. End of day: Leona Lewis = nothing to do with Final Fantasy - the false, lame girl probably never heard of it. Simon Cowell - nothing to do with Final Fantasy - just a rich 'record producer' who is shitting all over the UK with his overhyped reality show and his grossly unoriginal barrage of 'singers'.

She can 'sing' to a technically good standard, but I can totally understand and appreciate the annoyance that fans have expressed.

But anyway, I generally hate the FF "theme songs" anyway, seems to just add a really conventional hook to the story. The fact that Leona Lewis is doing this one has merely heightened my annoyance, not least because if you live in Britain you will understand how much hype surrounded her, and how much of a generic disappointment she really is.

/endrant

Sigh. I don't know where you go to get your feedback. But before they annnounced that they were replacing the song with one of Leone Lewis', most people disliked the Japanese theme like none others in the series so far.

Whiny bitches, I say.
    LOL Edit ; I missread the sentence.. Anyway, I haven't heard any complaints about the japanese theme song? And didn't Suteki Da Ne work out just fine?

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Having heard this song finally while watching the latest trailer on the official FFXIII website, I can honestly say that although there is nothing wrong with it, Lewis's boring lyrics and the generally dull melody left me rather disinterested.

Sure, this isn't as cringeworthy as, say Suteki de ne or Kiss Me Goodbye, but at least they had some connection to the game, even a very vague one. This song however is nothing more than a cynical moneymaking exercise for Sony. Nothing more.

All in all though, it is still in keeping with the dubious tradition that every FF game since FFIX has had a progressively worse pop/love song somewhere in the game (only FFXI escaped this tradition - although there was still a song in there, Distant Worlds definitely doesn't fall into this category).

Really though, the worst case scenario would have me probably muting the TV once that song starts playing in game, or else I'll just block it out mentally.
    enkffxisig-new-small

Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post

Whiny bitches, I say.
    Poor Square-enix, can never win with the fans no matter what they do, yet they still manage to sell millions of copies of Final Fantasy.

Even when Hikaru Utada sang an English version of Hikari people still screamed bloody murder =\ Everything has to be in it's original state. Nothing should change, etc.

Personally, I like the song My Hands. It felt like it had a lot of soul to it. The only thing I hate about it is the name, but I guess people's taste in music differs.

To be honest, they could have put both versions of the song in the game for our picking, since the song will be playing at several intervals throughout the game, it might get bland after a while.

CreamityCheeseGod
    The song doesn't match. It takes away and is completely irrelevant compared to the JP version.

Onion Kid
    Blah blah. I could care less if it fits the game or not. It doesn't effect game play so everyone relax. Leona rocks at singing she can hit the high notes and she's probably better than those Japanese singers that sound like they're on the toilet pushing. Juuust saying.

Grand Shriner
    To be honest, I liked both themes.

Though it seems the Japanese ending scene song had an extra English lyric that sounded out of place. (the 'dear my friend' line)

Main Theme on the menu screen is not My Hands, it's an instrumental version of Serah's theme.