Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite and Least Favorite Character

Fav; bash vaan balthier
    Least fav; penelo ashe fran

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    You'll have to ask someone else for the exact references, but I distinctly remember that they talk of Vayne's unsurpassed swordsmanship.

I know I'm not imagining this, so anyone who's played recently and remembers when it is, help a guy out, eh? (I'd happily play the game again, but I've lent my copy to a mate).
    I have played the game recently and I can't recall when that is mentioned. Then again I got trapped doing a decent amount of side quests (for my review) so I forgot a LOT of the story by then.... If anything I think that Basch, Gabranth, or Larsa would have mentioned it.

We will have to agree to disagree about Vayne's voice acting. To my ear, he sounds horribly stilted and wooden (he does get a lot more of the awkward 'olde english' lines to grapple with though, in his defence).
    I have to be honest, Vayne sounded too much like Seymour from FFX for me. And I have severe issues with the use of the Elizabethan english in FFXII but I'll be addressing that later...

But beyond a handful of scenes, what do characters like Yuffie, Quistis, Selphie, Freya, Lulu etc actually do? You could fit all their significant scenes onto the back of a small postage stamp with a very big pen.

Same with Fran. She goes beserk on the Leviathan, visits her home village... and what else?
    I'm going to come to the defense of Quistis, Lulu, and Fran; they all played ''the wise elder'' stereotype of the group. Those three characters moved their stories forward by providing the group information on where to go next. Quistis tells Squall on the first disc that they should go to the nearest Garden, Lulu keeps the group focused on the pilgrimage at all times, and Fran tells the group where to find the Stillshrine of Miriam. Also those three characters keep the player informed of the lore of their game.

Grand Shriner
    That is hardly a very exciting thing for them to do though, is it? And I would take serious issue that they dictate party policy to that degree either.

Lulu may have that aura of 'She knows what she's talking about', but she doesn't do anything with it. She's a calming, 'let's get on with it' influence, but roles like this place the character very much in the 'B' list, supporting character camp.

I don't dislike those characters incidentally. I particularly like Quistis, but after the first section of the game (which is very slow and many tend to rush through), she fades into the background completely.

They even have to make her the CC King, to give her something to do, later on!

I'm just saying that characters like this, serve the plot when they should be asking the plot to serve them a bit more. Freya, Lulu, Quistis, Fran etc should not have to settle for being translation nodes/magic power sensors/ area history fonts' etc.

They're main characters and they should be treated as such.

As for the Vayne thing... Gahh! I know they say he's the greatest (or one of the greatest) swordsmen in the Empire. It's going to really bug me now, until I play through again and find the reference!

Vayne is a celebrated soldier. He has the complete respect of the Imperial army (and one look at Judge Bergan will tell you the kind of people he respects - hard people!)

But anyway, Vayne is coming from a history of warfare. He makes a great diplomat and politician, but he has been a soldier.

The whole thing is largely a cosmetic thing, anyway. I have no problem with martial artist baddies.

But compared to how ace the Judges looked (if you're overlevelled against Bergan, his Shield + Augment means that all attacking him gets you is a storm of 'Block' and 'Counter' messages!), Vayne lacked 'Big Boss' presence in the actual fights.

Anyway, I've picked my list and so my work here is done.

Onion Kid
    Favorites: Penelo, Larsa, and Al-Cid.
    Least Favorites: Ashe and all of the judges.

Grand Shriner
    You didn't like *any* of the Judges?

Fair enough, but they do cover quite a wide range of characters. What put you off them that badly?
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Moo The Immortal theimmortalmoo's Avatar
    Lest favorite would be the the main protagonist and Bach would be my favorite

whooollllo
    Fav Yet undecided, about 40hours in to the game.
    Worst Vaan and penelo.

to be continued.....

Indulgence~I do what I want, you got problem?! Hotspot's Avatar
    My favorite is Penelo and my least favorite is Basch.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]| [Hidden link. Register to see links.]| [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

My favorite character is Shido and Reho. I do not really have a least favourite character. Unless you count Cain.

Favorites: Larsa, Penelo, Balthier, Gabranth... I can't choose just one. I really liked the characters in this game.
    Least Favorites: Ashe, Vossler

Favorite: Balthier
    Least Favorite: Penelo
    - Zylicyde

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Favourites: Balthier, Fran, Al-Cid
    Least favourites: Vaan and Penelo.
    enkffxisig-new-small

Favourites: Vaan, Gabranth and Ashe
    Least Favourite: Fran
    1 Down about 5 Billion More to go...

Onion Kid
    Favorite Balthier and Ashe (they would have made a great couple)
    Least Favorite Basch

Favorite: Migelo
    Least Favorite: Ba'Gamnan
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982_tarheels View Post
    Reddas is the guy who got his brains blown out by Travolta in the backseat of Jules' car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRay View Post
    Oh, now i get it...

Your Posts aren't meant to be ironic... You actually think you're funny....
    I fucking hate FFShrine.

Favorite: I really wanna say Fran, because those long legs and that ass! But, I think as an overall character, I gotta say Balthier is my favorite.

Least favorite: Penelo with Vaan very closely following behind. I won't go into Vaan, since everyone knows his lameness already. Penelo...ugly outfit. Boring personality. Ugly hair style. Annoying.

Onion Kid
    Fav - Balthier
    Least fav - Gerun

I like balthier, fran and larsa(who I might think about cosplaying). I don't care for panelo and vossler too much though. I don't know if its just me but doesn't panelo remind you have banjo kazooie o_O

Keep a weather eye on the horizon Flashofgreen's Avatar
    Fav: Fran and Balthier

Least: Larsa and Penelo