Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Those That Don't Like This Film - True Story

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar

Talking For Those That Don't Like This Film - True Story

Twice in the past couple of weeks I have checked out a copy of Advent Children from the local library system. And twice now, the disc has been so scratched up that it won't play properly and so I haven't been able to watch it. The second aborted attempt was just now. I'm beginning to think some force is trying to tell me, "Give it up, Agent. You don't want to rewatch this." Nevertheless, I've now placed another copy of on reserve from the library, though it may be a while before I get it.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

lol. I kept AC when I purged my DVD collection, recently. Sold Spirits Within, though.

The dullness of fools is the whetstone of the wit. impudent urinal's Avatar
    I put my copy up on eBay(also during a purge), but no one bid so I took it as a sign to keep it.

DVDs, even of popular films, don't seem to sell for much of anything on eBay anymore. I've given up on the idea.

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Most DVD shops in my area have lots of copies for sale - as it was a Sony release it should be easy to find. I pre-ordered mine before it's release anyway so I guess I'm lucky though.
    enkffxisig-new-small

always running alonelikethewolf's Avatar
    i kept my AC too, spirits within was no use as a FF film

Hail to the Chief!!!!

There are defenders of it, as a film in and of itself, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I think I remember vaguely liking it, but I could be wrong. I have a copy on DVD, but I purchased it at least a couple years ago and still haven't gotten around to watching it.

I came, I saw, I levelled up. FF1WithAllThieves's Avatar
    I watched it on youtube, but it looks like it isn't on anymore. It's really not very good, especially the voices. If you watch it, I recommend Japanese with subtitles instead of English. The movie does have its moments, but I remember being very underwhelmed.
    Johannes Brahms is God.

The dullness of fools is the whetstone of the wit. impudent urinal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent0042 View Post
    DVDs, even of popular films, don't seem to sell for much of anything on eBay anymore. I've given up on the idea.
    True, but I wasn't really trying to get cash out of it, just trying to dump some DvDs. I've found that grouping DvDs into wholesale lots helps. People love bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by alonelikethewolf View Post
    i kept my AC too, spirits within was no use as a FF film
    True, but it did have some good graphics.

*coughs* why dont you just go out and buy advent children complete and get the proper story? Fully extended, explaining everything, especially why that dumbass kid has more significance than marlene of all characters. (obviously denzel if you hadnt figured it out)
    Descend, Heartless Angel.

Because no one wants to spend anymore money on anything related to VII.

Except for those pesky fanboys...

Don't be so sure of that. Once I get Blu-Ray / HD (which, for the record, I plan to get sometime in November if all goes well), I am very likely going to buy this. (Other planned acquisitions include 24: Season Seven and Up!)

So I finally had a chance to rewatch it just now, and... yeah. Pretty much exactly as I remember-- I could never be entirely satisfied with it. Maybe it's me, but it seems like for about the first 30 to maybe 45 minutes of the film or so they made an effort to actually have a plot. And then at some point, it's like they just said, "Oh, okay, that's taken care of! Now let's just create this huge, crazy action piece with big-time battles and special effects and explosions." And then for like maybe 30 seconds here and there from that point they paid lip service to plot.

Pretty much, cept they changed it up to look nicer. Cloud actually bleeds at the end, Sephiroth has the most pathetic "Omni-Poke" I have ever seen and Denzel has more than 1 paragraph of dialogue.

Not at the table Carlos discodan's Avatar
    Meh, now I want to re-watch

sig limit is 400x150

"It was once said by a man who couldn't quit...."

Guardian Force - Greiver Wings-of-Leon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sefiroslionheart View Post
    *coughs* why dont you just go out and buy advent children complete and get the proper story? Fully extended, explaining everything, especially why that dumbass kid has more significance than marlene of all characters. (obviously denzel if you hadnt figured it out)
    I downloaded mine off Limewire with awesome quality and put it on my iPod. I always thought Advent Children was a pathetic waste of CGI until I saw Complete.

Still not a fan of VII, but hey, who doesn't want to see a whiny guy with a huge sword and gravity-defying hair omni-slash a whiny guy with a long(compensating) katana?

The download took a hour though, 800 MBs.

"I'll be 'waiting' here for you..
    So if you come here..
    You'll find me...
    ...I promise."

Silent Shriner #0
    Advent Children Complete is definitely a lot better. As for Sephiroth's "Omni-Poke", he was referencing (sp?) the past where he stabbed Cloud and then lifted him off his feet (he does it on Complete before the pokes) by saying, "Is this the pain you felt before? Let me remind you. This time, you won't forget." And I think stabbing the shit out of Cloud would definitely keep the pain in his mind. So, I think what Sephiroth did was pretty brutal. Almost like scary like in a way if you think about it. Like how far will Sephiroth really go?

Goren
    I'd hit it.

Eh, whenever I see this I remember FFX-2 and why FFs shouldn't have sequels in general.

Opeth rules. You should check them out. poptart fantastico's Avatar
    All I ever watch the movie for is Tifa. And that's rarely...

This is Opeth - the best progressive death metal band EVER.

Goren
    I watched it for Elena...

I watched it because I like torturing myself.

Sig too big

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    I watched it because I could.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]