Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most Ignored Final Fantasy

SOMEBODY STOP THE MADNESS!!!

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar

Apophis is not amused.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Hey, guess what! I just stole your heart ~<3 Jitan Toraibaru's Avatar
    Regardless, it'll always be MY personal best game of all time. :3
    Virtue: Do you need a reason to help someone?

I'll defend it to the death. DEFINITELY NOT IGNORED NO MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitan Toraibaru View Post
    Regardless, it'll always be MY personal best FF game of all time. :3

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFlash View Post
    Why does everyone skip over this game when referring to Final Fantasy? Sure, it borrowed a lot of stuff from other Final Fantasy's, but it's still unique enough to be its own game. Every character goes through development on the journey. The bad guy actually kills the party (though he does revive them afterward). This game has several great aspects that don't deserve to be ignored.
    I agree with you that FFXI has some great aspects to it. I don't think it really gets ignored but it probably doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.

Now a Final Fantasy title that really gets ignored from most of the player base is Final Fantasy XI (11). Although it has its' own pretty well sized player base, a lot of FF fans skipped over it because of its online aspect.

9 is my second favorite FF ever. 7 takes the cake for me though, just perfect story line and perfect characters.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derimu View Post
    7 takes the cake for me though, just perfect story line and perfect characters.
    There are better games than FFVII... still, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_1988 View Post
    You really don't here much about FF V. FF IX was my favourite one out of them all, and all my mates had it. Definetely not the most ignored.
    I would have to agree with that-- I recently heard FFV described as the "black sheep" of the series due to the high level of difficulty it's said to have.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    FFV is great for those who enjoy the 'Job System' from FF3/T/ect.

Beyond that, I do think it's rather hard - at least the GBA version was harder than any other game in the series.

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    Yeah, and Final Fantasy V is also made a goat because of its rather light-hearted and not all-that-complex plot. But I actually rather like Final Fantasy V and the fact that it doesn't take itself so seriously.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

Onion Kid
    FFIX is my favorite ^^ Great characters and a great story, I can't complain

I like FF9 best but yes, all of the general talking are FF7 and 8 (for PSone of course). they said FF 9 is childish!
    Well that's true since FF 9 chara are like in chibi mode. And the concept of "Back to Basic" really push this one like back to land before time.
    See how technology advanced FF 7 and 8, and look how primitive FF9.
    generaly all ppl i asked say those thing.

And... no offense i kind of insulted how they treated FF 7. Sequel on next platform? Movie? Wow! I envy that one. I hope FF9 will get one too someday but that's impossible.
    Look at FFX-2
    I think that was crap. FF never ever need any sexiness or fanservice to be the best. WTH with that outfit, i mistaken them for Dead or Alive o.O (really, no offense i just saying my opinion about "sequeled FF series" due to their popularity.

Once i wrote a fan fiction about FF9.
    How they're doin after 5 years.
    I lost all the copies (PC formatted T_T)
    But when i thought if my fanfic were to made a movie or so, it's an OVA with 50-70 mnt duration lol

All I can say is, poor FFIX came out at the most wrong possible time. I like what they tried to do with it, but as it is my favorite FF in terms of story, setting, mood and characterization, I really hate to see it get blown as being "just a bunch of references to the other games," and its amazing story gets ignored. And those "references" to the past FF games are freakin' retarded; they're so subliminal and vague, I'm amazed people just sit and nitpick at it to try to give credence to them. I never thought of FFIX as just a Pandora's box of FF references until that's all I heard it described as online. And I still don't see it :-/ But as I said it got released at the worst possible time. Had Square released it before FFVII, it might actually get the respect it deserves.

Banned
    It still does, CC. it's one of the best final fantasies on the planet. just think how rare it is to find it.

Onion Kid
    I remember reading a magazine a few years back(think it was game axis) with a small section that rated FF IX to be one of the worst FF games. It was a shock to me as IX was my first and my favorite of the FF series . It wasn't considered good many chose VII and VIII over IX :x.

Banned
    considerin that game informer gave it a nearly perfect rating when it was reviewed, i wouldnt trust almost any other source.

Quote Originally Posted by aces4839 View Post
    It still does, CC. it's one of the best final fantasies on the planet. just think how rare it is to find it.
    You know it brudda!! I'd imagine an original copy would go for a hundred bucks or more on any major site like Amazon or Ebay ^^ Not that I'm selling mine though; it means too much to me Even if we're a devout few, us FFIX fans must let our voices be heard

Banned
    the game isnt THAT rare. u can get a new copy on amazon for only 15 bucks.

Knowing it isn't that rare is a very pleasant surprise

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    All I can say is, poor FFIX came out at the most wrong possible time. I like what they tried to do with it, but as it is my favorite FF in terms of story, setting, mood and characterization, I really hate to see it get blown as being "just a bunch of references to the other games," and its amazing story gets ignored. And those "references" to the past FF games are freakin' retarded; they're so subliminal and vague, I'm amazed people just sit and nitpick at it to try to give credence to them. I never thought of FFIX as just a Pandora's box of FF references until that's all I heard it described as online. And I still don't see it :-/ But as I said it got released at the worst possible time. Had Square released it before FFVII, it might actually get the respect it deserves.
    Completely disagree of course in regards of the game's content. Because the game was indeed a pandora's box of references, just looking at the structure of the storyline and characters you can see that. And I'm not talking about the cid's statues or little shit vague references like that. I'm talking about the core structure of the storyline.

But getting more to your point, the game didn't came out in the most wrong possible time. I'll admit that in that time Legend of Mana(Great Game), Chrono Cross(Masterpiece), Vagrant Story(Magnum Opus) and Threads of Fate(who cares about this game?) were released indeed.

In terms of sales IX carried the torchlight. And it was obsenely advertised, more than any FF period. Surely VII still holds as the most recognized, but it didn't have any advertisement compared to FFIX.

And if you don't believe me on this, check the coca cola commercials of FFIX.

This game isn't ingored and by all means it's not the most ignored. The attention it got is the one that Square wanted.

As far as most ingored, FFIII, V and XI get the prize for the most ignored ones. Specially III, suprisingly enough it's the one that launched the Infamous Job System.
    V for Valhalla

What I meant was that the release time for this game alienated it. It was right after FFVIII launched fans into space; they didn't wanna come back to medieval FF. VII and VIII pushed for a more futuristic vibe, then IX backtracked, and a lot of fans were pissed about that (unlike me ;D) but my feeling is, had it sold before VII, more people would be accepting. Instead it's passed off as being "that FF game that brought the series back to its roots" which, yeah, okay, it is, but what else is it? I respect your opinion on this game Topo, but I just don't agree. I admit the story falters in disc 3, where not much goes on save for dungeon grinding. But Sakaguchi himself considers this game truest to his vision of 'fantasy' and I side with this notion whole-heartedly. So there's some tiny, petty references . . . they're too vague >.< I know you're gonna be thinking, 'WHAT?! I just said they were major parts of the storyline!' Well, I'll give you the Garland one; it is stated that 'Garland once tried to take over the world but failed.' Only problem is, totally different design, personality, and if IX's Garland had a different name this reference would be null and void. Zidane and Kuja have been compared to Cecil and Golbez; both brothers, both of a higher race and manipulated by an overseer of this said race for destruction. Okay, maybe. But I still consider this a paltry comparison if you consider how much about [Hidden link. Register to see links.] IX has a shop called Polom's something or other, yet XIII has a town called Palompolom. ZOMG XIII IS JUST ONE BIG LUMP OF REFERENCES TO THE REST OF THE SERIES!!11!11!!!!! There's a Mysidia in two games. There's a Cid in every game. There's a protagonist and an antagonist in every game. There's supporting characters. There's primarily the same character archetypes in each game. There's airships in each game. There's job classes in most games. There's chapels (another supposed lame reference to FFI in this game, being chapels). There's prominent villains under the will of a more obscure villain in the background. FFIX is no more a reference to the rest of the series than IV is a reference to II, or III to I, or V to III to I or VII to VI (after all, VII has steampunk stuff. ZOMG SO DOES VI!!) or VIII to VII or X to VII or XII to Tactics. FFIX is its own game that people either like or don't like, but it is more than just a collection of references to earlier games. People do not give it the chance it deserves because Square made a bad move by 'returning the series to its medieval roots' just to then jump forward to futuristic again in X, and now all IX is to most people is 'the FF reference game.' Seeing as how I love IX, I AM GOING TO DEFEND MY FANBOYISM OF IT TO THE DEATH!!!! But no hard feelings, of course ;D

I see your point, but that doesn't take the fact that the game was a blender of every previous FF structural storytelling and major plot element.

You may see the story awesome and almost perfect, light-heartly with carebears, happy festival fireworks and stuff. THE Final Fantasy.

But in my eyes, the story of the game is as generic as a Robin Hood type fairytale, the characters in my eyes, as developed as they might be, they're as generic as, well again as Robin Hood.
    The world, had it's share of good stuff and terrible stuff. But if I want light-hearted fantasy with a few twisted twists, Give me the Mana series, Tales series or SaGa series every day.
    Not going to give any other word about the Gameplay or the Art Design.

So you see, FFIX is not a game that caughted my attention because there were and there is some many other stuff that interested me more for many reasons.
    So when people talk about how this game was """ignored""", it gets me on the nerve, I just can't believe how hard-faced these people can be.

I mean, Greatest Hits PS1, killed the sales of any of the other games that I've mentioned before. Had advertisement with FuCKING Coca-Cola. Vocal Song. Considered to be the last good FF by MANY.

How much more attention do you want for this? FFVII like? I'm sure if FFIX gets the attention that VII got, it would be the MOST OVERRATED RPG EVER SUCKZ LULZ, and would have the same quantity of fanboys and haters that VII got. Because it will be the Prom Queen of JRPG just like VII was. So if people wishes more popularity of any other FF, I see it as something negative. Because VII has become so overrated that as of right now it's an underrated game. That doesn't live to it's Hype it gets.

So FFIX Fanboy comes and tells me how awesome the game is and how ignored it was I react as follows:

Is this the best FF? No, hell no, the game has tremendous flaws. Your fauvorite one? Yes.

If you ask me which is the best FF? I'll tell you IV without giving second thoughts. But If you ask me which is my fauvorite, I'll give you a totally different and elaborated answer.

No hard feelings of course ;D

But no, this game wasn't ignored by all means.

Yeah I completely failed to mention in my post above, I have seen those Coca Cola commercials I guess I don't think the game was ignored, per se, just more like blown off because people didn't like the direction it took. Each game deserves its own special attention, and I defend them all equally when needed Of course, lots of people do the defending for me on the topic of FFVII so I seldom speak up on it But to see someone who dislikes FFIX say it's more popular than I thought is an interesting vote of confidence I'll always be stubborn when it comes to this game >.<