Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most Ignored Final Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPants View Post
    A couple years back I gave FF IX a try and to be honest I didn't like it. My problems are mainly graphical, I didn't like the bobble head look of everyone. I know they were trying to make it look like the old games but I don't think it translated well. Characters in the pre-ps1 games had big heads and small bodies because they had to. If the sprites were made bigger or more detailed then it would take up too much room in te memory. I felt that because of this reason I just couldn't care about the story. I hear all the time that the story is awesome but the character's look make any seriousness fly away for me. Also I hated how the trance system worked, but mostly I hated the Zidane turned into one of the most homosexual looking thing in the game besides Kuja. I did like the having classes and having a specific purpose, and I also liked the four character teams. The mini games being integrated with the story were great as well. I've been on the fence about trying this game again, but I just don't know. I will say though that Vivi was absolutely amazing, he was the only character that looked right in the game.
    These are the same feelings that I had for this game before the hype made me hate the game.

The artwork was initial failure to make me interest, I just couldn't ignore it like I did with the previous titles, I felt it repulsive.
    And believe me the gameplay has plenty of design failures & I'm not just talking about the Trance System, it was great to have 4 characters again, but the ATB has delay issues, the animation for the spells are damn long & the loading times between battles are long as well & the encounter rate is pretty high for that kind of loading times, I can totally handle that, but it's tedious & to me that's not a good thing at all.

The other big issue that I had for this game is the total lack of customization, 98% of the fun of III & V is the customizing, 55% for VI & VII, 70% for VIII & 20% for Tactics(And Tactics is a game well known because of the replayability found on the customizing system but to me that just 20% of the awesomeness of that game, because the storyline & characters are just that great to me), the poorly replacement for that in IX is the tedious grindtastic -weapon-gives skill- system that's totally poor & boring.

Surely they wanted to go simple, but for a 2000 game it's not what I expect, simple can be good, but slow & simple together is insulting to me.

I agree Vivi was the absolutely awesome thing that looked just right for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPants View Post
    From what I heard and saw it looked to me like the graphics were trying to mimic the older style of the games.The bigger heads and small bodies just seemed to be a 3D counterpart of the old sprites. And if you look at VII and VIII, they characters could do anything that anyone else could. Sure some were better than others at certain things but it wasn't by much. So giving the characters obvious classes from the old games seems like trying to get back to the old ways. Zidane was a thief, Vivi...come on he IS a Black Mage, there was the knight who was the fighter (can't remember his name) The girl who looked like a red mage was a Dragoon, the correlations are everywhere. I'm not saying the graphics were bad nor did I say that IX is awful I just didn't particularly like it when I tried it. Unlike many people I respect people's opinions of games if you like IX then by all means shout your praise to anyone who would ask. And believe me IX has fans, I'm the only one in my group of friends who doesn't really like it, but I am willing to give it a try but I don't want to actually buy it in case I don't like it again.
    The game was initally developed as an spin-off title that serves as a tribute to the old days, the final product ended up for the main series & Yeah, IX has plenty of fans out there & even more these days CC & it's still growing in popularity.

You can totally go & play it I highly encourage you, you might end up liking it, some of the scenery is beautiful & some concepts that the game brings plays perfectly.

I personally don't like the game, to me the Storyline & Characters are as good as the gameplay & art design, the game could've worked much better for me if it got a totally different treatment.

Some scenes are plain awesome others are Unsettling but in the good way, but the dialogues are just facepalmtastic for me, Amarant had the most memorable lines to me & that character is another filler as Quina.

Beatrix the character with more depth among all, but it's not on your party & they kinda ruin her awesomeness on the 3rd disc.
    V for Valhalla

I understand what you mean, topo. I always wondered exactly what you disliked about it, and I agree about Trace; I HATE how they did that. The loading times in between battles I just kind of got used to, honestly. But when I think about it, it is kind of tedious; back in the first six games, transitions were almost instantaneous. But on VII, VIII and IX, there's just too much to load; battlegrounds should've been kept even simpler than they are. :O

Banned
    i wouldnt complain too much. it was a ps1 game after all.

In VII & VIII the battles were fast-paced, the animation sequences weren't long, except for the Summons, & the loading times weren't as long as IX with the menu Navigation counted.
    Sure I understand that it was a PS1 game ergo CD games & reading Disc Delay & stuff, but play Suikoden & there's almost not loading times there & that game is from 1995, Parasite Eve is a 1998 & it looked better graphically than IX & the loading times are as long opening up a menu in any FF.

It's no excuse man & Believe me I love the PS1 is my all-time fauvorite console.

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    It's no excuse man & Believe me I love the PS1 is my all-time fauvorite console.
    Totally wet! I'm with you on that.

Also, when did FFIX become the most ignored Final Fantasy? I thought that honor went to FFII and III.

Quote Originally Posted by Esura View Post
    Totally wet! I'm with you on that.

Also, when did FFIX become the most ignored Final Fantasy? I thought that honor went to FFII and III.
    =D

III is the most ignored indeeed.

Yea, I agree; even with the release of the DS remake, I still never hear much about III. It's awesome how they gave the main characters names, personalities and backstories, but even still, I never hear or read anything about the game. The game sold like hotcakes upon its DS release and still does sell well as far as I know, but still it remains unpopular :O How ironic, and sad. I think it's a great game

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    I'd love to play it again sometime, when I have the time and opportunity. I remember almost nothing about it.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    I'd still say the FF GB games are the 'most ignored'.

Maybe even the Chocobo ones like Racing and Story.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    I'd still say the FF GB games are the 'most ignored'.

Maybe even the Chocobo ones like Racing and Story.
    Those are from the SaGa series, not FF.

Those are from the SaGa series, not FF.
    They were released under the 'FF' name, at least in the west, at first...so...yeah, they count.

They were released under the 'FF' name, at least in the west, at first...so...yeah, they count.
    Well, to you... Not for the developers.

I'm totally with Tanis on that; I forget those ones even exist until somebody mentions them.

Well, to you... Not for the developers.
    And the people who played them that way first.

If the devs didn't want them known as FFs they shouldn't have released them so.
    :P

And the people who played them that way first.

If the devs didn't want them known as FFs they shouldn't have released them so.
    :P
    Publishers, not devs.

The other big issue that I had for this game is the total lack of customization, 98% of the fun of III & V is the customizing, 55% for VI & VII, 70% for VIII & 20% for Tactics(And Tactics is a game well known because of the replayability found on the customizing system but to me that just 20% of the awesomeness of that game, because the storyline & characters are just that great to me), the poorly replacement for that in IX is the tedious grindtastic -weapon-gives skill- system that's totally poor & boring.
    Pretty sweet percentages brah, I'd love to know where you dug them up. Also materia leveling was worse than "grinding" weapon skills considering you got them as you leveled up.

And believe me the gameplay has plenty of design failures & I'm not just talking about the Trance System, it was great to have 4 characters again, but the ATB has delay issues, the animation for the spells are damn long & the loading times between battles are long as well & the encounter rate is pretty high for that kind of loading times, I can totally handle that, but it's tedious & to me that's not a good thing at all.
    Yeah, I don't believe you. ATB has no delay issues. The animation for the spells aren't long. You're ignoring the story and characters, which is possibly the only way you could say this game was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Pretty sweet percentages brah, I'd love to know where you dug them up. Also materia leveling was worse than "grinding" weapon skills considering you got them as you leveled up.
    Wanna keep arguing huh?

Measure storyline vs gameplay, pretty easy thing to do.

Materia Lvling worse than Grinding Weapon Skills? Well I can't say that Materia LVLing is fun, but it's pretty easy to do it well & it doesn't oblige me to stuck with poor equipment.

Yeah, I don't believe you. ATB has no delay issues. The animation for the spells aren't long. You're ignoring the story and characters, which is possibly the only way you could say this game was bad.
    Well don't...
    The Animations for the Spells are long.
    I haven't ignored the story or the characters & it isn't the only way to say the game is bad...
    If you like androgynous furries for art, good for you.
    If you like your regular androgynous flamboyant excuse for a villain, good for you again.
    If you like your regular Thief with a Heart of Gold conquers the heart of the Damnsel that wishes to go for an adventure, Good for you.
    If you like that the storyline twist is that your protagonist & antagonist are both the Anti-Christ that came from another dimension/world & that they were created by a guy that comes out of nowhere, well, good for you again.
    Throw up a few wonderfully created unsettling & fantastic world with some of the great special effects ever to come up for the PS1 & you have FFIX in a nutshell.

I don't like the storyline or the characters & the gameplay is even worse.

Of course we won't agree, if you like the game 100%, then be happy with it.

To me it sucks, that's final.

Hey, guess what! I just stole your heart ~<3 Jitan Toraibaru's Avatar
    Arguing opinion V Opinion doesn't work...let's just quit this already. o.o
    Virtue: Do you need a reason to help someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jitan Toraibaru View Post
    Arguing opinion V Opinion doesn't work...let's just quit this already. o.o
    Well I didn't wanted to continue arguing...

Wanna keep arguing huh?
    Considering you never responded to my initial argument, I am technically still waiting for a response.

Materia Lvling worse than Grinding Weapon Skills? Well I can't say that Materia LVLing is fun, but it's pretty easy to do it well & it doesn't oblige me to stuck with poor equipment.
    Yeah, because equipping Apocalypse for Triple materia XP bonus instead of my No Growth Ultima Weapon didn't oblige me to stick (not stuck) with poor equipment. Wait, yes it did.

Measure storyline vs gameplay, pretty easy thing to do.
    This sentence makes no sense.

To me it sucks, that's final.
    We call this a copout, where you don't really have the literacy to argue to a point. That's essentially what you mean by "I have an opinion and I want to stick with it in the light of various other shit."

The Animations for the Spells are long.
    FFx and FF VII have longer animations, you're dumb.

If you like androgynous furries for art, good for you.
    Zidane, Quina, Amarant, Vivi, Garnet, Steiner and Beatrix aren't androgynous furries. Neither is a majority of the "art".

If you like your regular androgynous flamboyant excuse for a villain, good for you again.
    Regular? Other than Kefka, I haven't seen a villian like Kuja in a while. Also, the trend for you to act like a homophone is shining through. Moving onwards...

If you like your regular Thief with a Heart of Gold conquers the heart of the Damnsel that wishes to go for an adventure, Good for you.
    She didn't want to go on an adventure, she wanted to save her kingdom by traveling to Lindbulm and talking with her Uncle. What happens later is a result of character growth and change. Furthermore, Zidane is a womanizer that doesn't think more of Garnet other than "just a pretty girl" until later in the story. Also something we call "development." Considering you can barely survive the casting animations I doubt you had the patience to last that long.

If you like that the storyline twist is that your protagonist & antagonist are both the Anti-Christ that came from another dimension/world & that they were created by a guy that comes out of nowhere, well, good for you again.
    Cuz Zeromus in FF4 was totally predictable. Cuz the Cetra/Jenova experiment was totally explained. Cuz the ending to FFX wasn't a stupid WHOA I WOKE UP FROM A DREAM theme. Didn't really stop them from being good games.

Throw up a few wonderfully created unsettling & fantastic world with some of the great special effects ever to come up for the PS1 & you have FFIX in a nutshell.
    Yeah, sounds good. And I know we don't agree. But your inability to defend your points against the ones I'm making basically shows you have no idea wtf you're talking about and should quit giving people your 2 cents. I also love your statistics. Does it have bits of real panther in it? 60% of the time, does it work every time?

Yeah, because equipping Apocalypse for Triple materia XP bonus instead of my No Growth Ultima Weapon didn't oblige me to stick (not stuck) with poor equipment. Wait, yes it did.
    True but you haven't taken account of this:

Ultima Weapon & Apocalypse aren't essential for winning the game, they're both pretty Optional & they only exist for the sake of challenging the Weapons or to complete the game.

In IX if I want to learn a skill & I get a new equipment I had to stuck myself with the old shit.

This sentence makes no sense.
    Ask a question, don't judge...
    We call this a copout, where you don't really have the literacy to argue to a point. That's essentially what you mean by "I have an opinion and I want to stick with it in the light of various other shit."
    This is what we call argumentum ad hominem, an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

If you want to tell me something, let it all out, in a Private Message.

Not Here.

Zidane, Quina, Amarant, Vivi, Garnet, Steiner and Beatrix aren't androgynous furries. Neither is a majority of the "art".
    True but the Artwork is still horrible to me.

Regular? Other than Kefka, I haven't seen a villian like Kuja in a while.
    Kefka, The Emperor from II, Sephiroth would almost count, but he's a bit less flamboyant & not so androgynous.

Also, the trend for you to act like a homophone is shining through. Moving onwards...
    argumentum ad hominem

She didn't want to go on an adventure, she wanted to save her kingdom by traveling to Lindbulm and talking with her Uncle. What happens later is a result of character growth and change. Furthermore, Zidane is a womanizer that doesn't think more of Garnet other than "just a pretty girl" until later in the story. Also something we call "development." Considering you can barely survive the casting animations I doubt you had the patience to last that long.
    I've finished the game with 40-45 LVL in my party. Yeah the characters develop, so what?, we could also say in how many ways Garnet is similar to Rinoa.
    What I was trying to say is that the characters aren't that surprising.

Cuz Zeromus in FF4 was totally predictable. Cuz the Cetra/Jenova experiment was totally explained. Cuz the ending to FFX wasn't a stupid WHOA I WOKE UP FROM A DREAM theme. Didn't really stop them from being good games.
    I haven't played X.
    Zeromus achieved his purpose because the storyline of IV is what we call a classic fantasy adventure, where our heros go & fight the ultimate evil.
    And IV doesn't need to get any deeper than that.
    Cetra/Jenova, well you made a pretty good point there.
    No, they didn't stopped them from being good games, mainly because it's gameplay wasn't slow & dense.

Yeah, sounds good. And I know we don't agree. But your inability to defend your points against the ones I'm making basically shows you have no idea wtf you're talking about and should quit giving people your 2 cents. I also love your statistics. Does it have bits of real panther in it? 60% of the time, does it work every time?
    argumentum ad hominem

Keep getting agressive on PM, not here.

Or in a more methaphorical way, continue your Crusade & Witch Hunting somewhere else, not here.

EDIT: Also Smarty & Me, aren't the only ones that think that IX is slow. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry
    Noooooo, they don't. Not by a longshot.

argumentum ad hominem
    Nowhere did I try to link the argument's validity on your idiocy. You saying "To me it sucks, that's final" and me saying that you're retarded for making a point like that has nothing to do with the validity of my argument, nor was I trying to make it one of my points.

True but the Artwork is still horrible to me.
    K, so everything about androgynous furries you mentioned earlier was false. Point 1 conceded.

Kefka, The Emperor from II, Sephiroth would almost count, but he's a bit less flamboyant & not so androgynous.
    Sephiroth was not androgynous and if the emperor was, then he'd be one of 3 in a 13 game series atm. So hardly regular. Point 2 conceded: aka Kuja is not the everyday villain.

Also, the trend for you to act like a homophone is shining through. Moving onwards...
    Has nothing to do with my argument scrub

What I was trying to say is that the characters aren't that surprising.
    Surprising characters aren't necessary for a game to be good. As proven by Final Fantasy 4. And Chrono Trigger.

Zeromus achieved his purpose because the storyline of IV is what we call a classic fantasy adventure, where our heros go & fight the ultimate evil.
    And IV doesn't need to get any deeper than that.
    The storyline of 9 was built to pay homage to the classics while remaining a modern twist. So it shouldn't need to get any deeper either.

Or in a more methaphorical way, continue your Crusade & Witch Hunting somewhere else, not here.
    Or in a literal sense, come up with legit points and don't run away the second someone offers a differing POV. This is a forum, not a massive circle jerk with the buddies you agree with.

Noooooo, they don't. Not by a longshot.
    The only thing I'll concede is that their response times are a bit faster. On MAX ATB Gauge, the difference is minimal and the animations are just longer. Aka Knights.

I ain't going to take the time to answer you in anyway that satisfies your needs, I'll only focus on one thing in particular.

Or in a literal sense, come up with legit points and don't run away the second someone offers a differing POV. This is a forum, not a massive circle jerk with the buddies you agree with.
    I offered my Point of View, you don't like it, you've comed and assaulted everything that explained my POV & you're not trying to be the least polite while answering so there's no point in continue the cycle. And you didn't brought your POV. This has nothing to do wether somebody else agrees with us or doesn't.

Have it your way... I don't like the game, nothing you've said so far makes me like it.

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    This is a thread about the most ignored Final Fantasy, not about debating the merits or lack of for Final Fantasy IX. As has been said, it should be taken to PM.