Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most Ignored Final Fantasy

I highly encourage it. You'll have to let me know how you like it, too! The thing you have to keep in mind going in is that the storyline is not terribly complex by any means; what makes the game so memorable is how deep it is, how much time and care the creators put into every little scene, every character, every piece of music, to make all of it stick out in your mind even years after you've played it (trust me, it still has that effect on me after I first played it in '05). That said, I really hope you enjoy it. If you can get ahold of the GBA version, go right ahead with it too, but just know a lot of it just doesn't feel as authentic. You can't beat the SNES version of FFVI.

I think the Anthology version is the same. Storylines don't need to be necessarily complex to be good. A well executed story is good regardless it's simplicity. Perfect example? Uncharted 2. It's Indiana Jones but what makes it so good? The exact thing you said:

what makes the game so memorable is how deep it is, how much time and care the creators put into every little scene, every character, every piece of music, to make all of it stick out in your mind even years after you've played it
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh yes, I always forget about the Anthology version, which I haven't tried out yet tbh :O At any rate, glad I could help! ^^

This is my favorite FF, and I agree that it's overlooked. The PS2 came out around the same time, so I guess not many people picked it up with all the hype about the new console.
    I also wouldn't say it's the most overlooked. I'd personally say 3 was, especially before the DS remake.

I agree; the PS2's overshadowing made IX a very overlooked title. It all has to do with placement; if IX had come when VII did, nobody'd give a crap who Cloud and Tifa and Barret and Sephiroth are.

Then Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Steiner, Eiko, Amarant, Freija and that oversized freak Quina would be runnin' the series

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    Heh. So true! Oh, and I agree that III could very well be the most ignored / overlooked Final Fantasy. I myself haven't played it in a long time and barely remember anything about it.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

The fact that they decided to opt out of putting Luneth as FFIII's representative in Dissidia sure doesn't help FFIII's case much either The Onion Knight annoys me.

So, after playing through Final Fantasy IX again for the umpteenth time and recollecting all the various aspects of the story, there are a few flaws (a couple I've always known about) that I feel like mentioning.

Okay, I have to say that as much as I LOVE the Trance system, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HAAAAAAAATE IT!!!! Entire Trances become wasted when a battle ends before a character has the chance to use it, and it takes, I think, ridiculously long for the gauge to fill back up. I've counted TWO Trances for Vivi since I started 32 hours ago. The game doesn't require a whole lot of grinding until roughly the end of disc 3 before Terra, but it's the only way I can ever seem to get my characters to Trance when I need them to. In FFVII, the Limit Break worked nicely because you stayed Limit Break'd even after the battle ended, and the bar filled up at an adequate pace; not too fast, not too slow. But let's be honest; IX's Trance system is a bitch.

Also, the story, amazing as it is, seems to come to a screeching halt throughout the majority of disc 3. I understand there's places where not a lot has to go on, but Oeilvert, Ipsen's Castle and the Desert Palace all seem to be kind of jammed together one after the other just to add unneeded length. The XP is welcome, but they could've placed a little more story in and around those. It's there, but they feel too drawn out. Maybe it's just me overreacting (likely so).

And the biggest one of all has to be the all-too-convenient placement of Hilda right there in Mount Gulug; it seemed like almost a let down to see her appear right there in the very place the party happens to be going next. Yes, it moves things along, but ultimately it only feels like a half-baked idea that was thrown in at the last second. I guess I haven't played that far in for so long that I forgot just how that all came about, but Cid's betrothed running away to live in a decrepit, abandoned old mountain full of monsters on a desolate, icy island is a little too hard for me to believe. Nobody ever bothers to ask, 'WTF WERE YOU DOING THERE?! HOW LONG WERE YOU THERE? WHAT DROVE YOU TO GO TO THAT PLACE?' If someone cheated on me, I don't care how much I might love them, I am not going to run away to a distant island and live in a cave inside a mountain full of deadly monsters. Just not gonna happen.

And Quina; Square, you could've given me a better character to fill the eighth character slot than that unfunny blob of annoyance. Quina IS useful in battle with enough Blu Magics, but I'm more of a storygoer myself, so Quina's place in the party just doesn't appease me much.

But above all that, it doesn't change my love of FFIX and it remains my favorite of the series. It's jam-packed with years of memories for me just like all the games are, but it just hits the biggest spot for me.

Hilda? The impressions I got wasn't that she ran away to the mountain. I was under the impression that she simply ran away, but at some point she ended up in Kuja's clutches, and then he took her to the mountain, and told her his "master plan," which she found "tiresome."

Ahh, perhaps you're right. If so, then that makes more sense. But it was 3:AM when I played that part, so I could have missed something I'm going to assume that must be how it really goes then, because that's a lot more sensible than my interpretation, which is that she was already in the mountain when Kuja and his black mages stormed in and made themselves at home there.

But you must be right, because Hilda had the Hilda Garde III (or was it II?) and Kuja commandeered it most likely with her already onboard, thus she became sort of temporarily his prisoner, even though she claims he was kind to her (probably because she never put up a fight).

Onion Kid
    A couple years back I gave FF IX a try and to be honest I didn't like it. My problems are mainly graphical, I didn't like the bobble head look of everyone. I know they were trying to make it look like the old games but I don't think it translated well. Characters in the pre-ps1 games had big heads and small bodies because they had to. If the sprites were made bigger or more detailed then it would take up too much room in te memory. I felt that because of this reason I just couldn't care about the story. I hear all the time that the story is awesome but the character's look make any seriousness fly away for me. Also I hated how the trance system worked, but mostly I hated the Zidane turned into one of the most homosexual looking thing in the game besides Kuja. I did like the having classes and having a specific purpose, and I also liked the four character teams. The mini games being integrated with the story were great as well. I've been on the fence about trying this game again, but I just don't know. I will say though that Vivi was absolutely amazing, he was the only character that looked right in the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basch fon Ronsenberg View Post
    Ahh, perhaps you're right. If so, then that makes more sense. But it was 3:AM when I played that part, so I could have missed something I'm going to assume that must be how it really goes then, because that's a lot more sensible than my interpretation, which is that she was already in the mountain when Kuja and his black mages stormed in and made themselves at home there.

But you must be right, because Hilda had the Hilda Garde III (or was it II?) and Kuja commandeered it most likely with her already onboard, thus she became sort of temporarily his prisoner, even though she claims he was kind to her (probably because she never put up a fight).
    it was actually the first hilda garde. the second one didnt run well in disk 2 and the third one was used throughout disk 3.

I will never understand how anyone correlates IX with the old games. I'm sorry, but there is zero similarity whatsoever. The 3-d, highly detailed environments of IX versus the pixelated, flat environments of, say, the original IV, or V, or even VI? Comparison is invalid. No game is perfect, but IX is close enough. Tweak the Trance system, maybe throw a little more story into the middle of Disc 3, and in my book, that's about as flawless as a JRPG can get. DON'T ARGUE WITH ME!!! LET ME HAVE MY GLORY!!! FFIX needs its fans too! And this is fan #1! (< obscure FFIX reference only I will get)

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aces4839 View Post
    it was actually the first hilda garde. the second one didnt run well in disk 2 and the third one was used throughout disk 3.
    OHHH, thanks Ace! I forgot about that. Sucks how you lose it after Bran Bal

Banned
    good thing i still have a good memory of this game. hee hee. it doesnt suck that bad since the invisible lands in certain areas the hilda garde 3 didnt. like vile island where the dreaded yans are...

Man, that sure is one nice feature! I like to land at Oeilvert and go back to get all the chests I missed the first time. I'm finding, this time, that I have a hell of a time choosing on my party. I used to hate Quina, but now I'm finding him/her far more useful. Everyone is at least level 50; before, it was just Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Steiner I'd work with but now I'm keeping my party as equal as possible. My party right now consists of Zidane, Freya, Amarant, and Eiko. I'm level-grinding in the first room of Memoria before I proceed to storm the place and go whip Kuja's girly ass. I begin every battle the same way; Zidane casts 'Annoy', then Eiko 'Haste's herself so she can Haste everybody else quicker, Freya 'Reiss's Wind's everybody for Regen, then Amarant throws a 'Curse' at the enemy. Then, it's go-time; Freya jumps, Zidane attacks, Amarant has his 'Healer' ability so he just slices some HP into the wounded, and Eiko keeps up all the spells necessary to keep us all in good health and keep the bad guys cut down to size for added vulnerability. The result? EPIC WIN.

Onion Kid
    From what I heard and saw it looked to me like the graphics were trying to mimic the older style of the games.The bigger heads and small bodies just seemed to be a 3D counterpart of the old sprites. And if you look at VII and VIII, they characters could do anything that anyone else could. Sure some were better than others at certain things but it wasn't by much. So giving the characters obvious classes from the old games seems like trying to get back to the old ways. Zidane was a thief, Vivi...come on he IS a Black Mage, there was the knight who was the fighter (can't remember his name) The girl who looked like a red mage was a Dragoon, the correlations are everywhere. I'm not saying the graphics were bad nor did I say that IX is awful I just didn't particularly like it when I tried it. Unlike many people I respect people's opinions of games if you like IX then by all means shout your praise to anyone who would ask. And believe me IX has fans, I'm the only one in my group of friends who doesn't really like it, but I am willing to give it a try but I don't want to actually buy it in case I don't like it again.

Banned
    u cant go to oeilvert in disk 4. its blocked by the roots.

u cant go to oeilvert in disk 4. its blocked by the roots.
    Shoot, it is, huh? I forgot about that. I was planning on visiting there to see if I missed any chests, but you're right, it's one of the places that's blocked off. At least I scoured out Mount Gulug before it got sealed off

Banned
    i dont think the chests r anything special, anyway, except for an elixir, i think. refer to a walkthrough at gamefaqs.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPants View Post
    From what I heard and saw it looked to me like the graphics were trying to mimic the older style of the games.The bigger heads and small bodies just seemed to be a 3D counterpart of the old sprites. And if you look at VII and VIII, they characters could do anything that anyone else could. Sure some were better than others at certain things but it wasn't by much. So giving the characters obvious classes from the old games seems like trying to get back to the old ways. Zidane was a thief, Vivi...come on he IS a Black Mage, there was the knight who was the fighter (can't remember his name) The girl who looked like a red mage was a Dragoon, the correlations are everywhere. I'm not saying the graphics were bad nor did I say that IX is awful I just didn't particularly like it when I tried it. Unlike many people I respect people's opinions of games if you like IX then by all means shout your praise to anyone who would ask. And believe me IX has fans, I'm the only one in my group of friends who doesn't really like it, but I am willing to give it a try but I don't want to actually buy it in case I don't like it again.
    Yeah, it does, I admit, hold a lot of little references to at least I, III and V, and the villain Garland has the same name as I's main antagonist, but aside from that the similarities end for me. It's a great game of its own right and I just tire of people only remembering IX as 'that one that brought the series back to castles and magic and stuffz'. I mean yeah, it does all that very well, but that's not all the game is. It has one of the best stories of the series (next to IV, VI, and X), best soundtracks (and the longest total of the whole series, counting the Plus songs), best casts of characters, and in my opinion, THE single best ending. And for me, every moment is as memorable as the last. It's the most enticing and enjoyable world to come out of the whole series and holds the most charm for me. And I love the caricature-esque designs; they stimulate my imagination a whole lot more than any of the other games' higher level realism do.

But I respect your opinion right back and hope you will give the game another try One thing's for sure; there's a FF for everybody.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

i dont think the chests r anything special, anyway, except for an elixir, i think. refer to a walkthrough at gamefaqs.com for more info.
    Yeah, you're right; Elixirs and Ethers are two of the rarest but most valuable items in the game! Those, I gotta have

Banned
    ethers aren't that rare. they can be synthesized by hades in memoria. forgot what u needed, though.

WH-CH-WHA-REALLY??? I may not have ever even done that! Thanks for the tip, Ace I remember Hades; it's been long enough now that my memory's a little hazy on that. I'm gonna level-grind some more but I'll go keep a lookout for Hades.

Banned
    hes in the underwater area in memoria behind rocks. mash the x button till u get a dialogue message.

If you defeat Ozma first, the dialogue you get when you fight Hades is pretty funny.

Banned
    Ozma is a pain. can hardly get by without gettin meteor'ed/cursed.