Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most Ignored Final Fantasy

Texico, Ilu.

I wouldn't say it was ignored, it was my favourite ff personally.

What I hate is that seven is the most referred too; I think that eight and nine deserve so much more credit. *shunned*
    When life hands you lemons, punch them in face.

I recall a Christmas in which i received a deluge of ff games. Played through Anthology followed by 9. And i felt 9 did a terrific job relating the feel of those classic FF games. Which was one of Squares intents at the time.

To me, IX does not capture the feel of earlier FF titles. It is what it is; it's a great game on its own merits. It has a totally, totally different feel than any other FF game. It's the truest to the name fantasy, IMO. While I will admit, the game is not as memorable for its story (although the story is still amazing) as X, or IV, or VI, it still packs a punch that leaves the final moments of the ending in your mind for days on end.

To me the Final Fantasy that makes justice to the name "FANTASY" is IV...
    V for Valhalla

IV is a fine slice of the pie as well, as are VI and X when trying to define 'fantasy', but I guess for me, IX has the most power to take me away.

Hey, guess what! I just stole your heart ~<3 Jitan Toraibaru's Avatar
    Pretty much the same for me...! :P
    Virtue: Do you need a reason to help someone?

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    To me the Final Fantasy that makes justice to the name "FANTASY" is IV...
    QFT. IX has it's moments, but for a 'fantasy' style game, IV sets the standard.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

FF IV follows a standard set by previous fantasy games, it does not really set one. IX is a game in the fantasy genre by its own rights and it exhibits strong fantasy and science fiction elements throughout the game, in some spots stronger than 4 and in other spots weaker. For me, as well as some other people here (this is purely opinion), Zidane's uplifting charisma and personality makes FFIX a more enjoyable experience than 4, 6, or 10 although those games were extremely enjoyable in their own respects.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    In the end though, both are decent titles.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    No one knows about my Final Fantasy Adventure games...

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    which was secret of mana 1, actually.
    and the legends games on the gb were the first SAGA games.
    no relation to final fantasy whatsoever
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    Bitches don't know 'bout my Final Fantasy Adventure games...
    Fix'd

The class system is Secret of Mana 3 was fucking cool.

Endless Shriner
    Chocobo Racing anyone?

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by !!!!! View Post
    Chocobo Racing anyone?
    Good game, shame the controls weren't that tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    FF IV follows a standard set by previous fantasy games, it does not really set one. IX is a game in the fantasy genre by its own rights and it exhibits strong fantasy and science fiction elements throughout the game, in some spots stronger than 4 and in other spots weaker. For me, as well as some other people here (this is purely opinion), Zidane's uplifting charisma and personality makes FFIX a more enjoyable experience than 4, 6, or 10 although those games were extremely enjoyable in their own respects.
    I really like your take on the whole thing. That's a major part of what makes IX so enjoyable, but not the only thing. Maybe what makes it so enjoyable for me is this youthful, free-spirited nature it expresses. It brings out the kid in me for the most part. It isn't so harsh and dreary in the realism department like a lot of games are. Which is fine, but sometimes it's nice to get away from it all, and I guess for me, IX exhibits that the best. I dunno, that's about as best as I can describe my feelings on this game.

Oh it definitely isn't the only thing. Everyone plays the game differently. What was most impressive to me was the connection the game had with the Eidolions. Not only has no other FF directly used them this way, but also you feel for them in the same way you feel for the characters (for example, Bahamaut in the Iifa Tree scene). The game captures what incredible power they have and incoporates them as a direct plot device in the story rather than going, "Here is a magic stone you found on the ground that summons a giant dragon."

The only other game that did this to a lesser extent was FF4 in my opinion because FF4's edilions were involved with just your party, while the ones in FFIX were involved with both the villains as well as Dagger, showing that they may have been reluctant but in the end had no choice to follow its master's wishes. I think their raw power was very effectively portrayed in FFIX. Again FFIV was awesome in that respect as well, where the Eidolons play major roles in the story and interfere directly, which is to be expected of beings with great power.

This sort of unified, grand theme that ties everything together on a level that is more than just "we're summoning you cuz I found this cool rock" is really really nice.

What do you think of the involvements of the Espers/Summons/Eidolons on VI?

You guys are right! It's nice to see the Espers/Eidolons/Aeons/Summons become integrated with the story, not just used as simple game mechanics to improve your capabilities in battle. I think VI and IX both exhibit this equally well.

I can not comment fully on FF6, because I haven't played that game to full. I played to the Ghost Train part, before I lost my emulator (damn macs), and haven't bothered to start over. However, from what I remember we did not fully get into it from where I was in the game. The structure for that storyline was just being developed by the Ghost Train I think, in that Terra and the party did not really have too much interaction with the Espers yet. Espers were important for reason X and people were after Espers for reason Y but they did not really get into it because they were developing the other characters. I assume (and expect) they created more interaction later, driving home a connection between Terra and the Espers, but I haven't played through it enough to be able to draw a conclusion on it.

If I hadn't gotten a PS3, it would be really high up on my list of things to do. Moreover, with the PS3, I can buy FF6 on Playstation Online, so after I finish Tactics (which is one of my regrets for never trying), I will finish up 6.

I loved every moment of VI. Seriously Dragon, if you have a SNES, pick up the game for that system, because it's the definitive version. You have to experience it in full at least once.

Yeah, I made a vow that before this year is over, that shit is happening. I am definitely just holing up in December and playing it straight beginning to end.

6 is the FF where the Espers play the most important role....

You're playing Tactics? One of my fauvorite games ever.