Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 255

Thread: Most Ignored Final Fantasy

  1. #76
    Butts Mendou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2
    I don't think FF9 is terribly ignored. Other forums do nothing but praise and rave over it. 2's ignored, but that's probably because the battle system was terrible.

    Although it's fact that compared to 7 or 10, it's terribly overshadowed. Shame because I think it's the best of them all.

  2. #77
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034
    i think IX is the worst final fantasy but it's probably the only game i'll admit that it's good. i just hated the damn battle system and couldn't enjoy it. It's overshadowed because of it and for a good reason. My god it sucks. Great storyline, great soundtrack was it really that hard for square to make a good battle system and make it the best?

  3. #78
    A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    State Secret (Not Really)
    Posts
    16,778
    What in particular did you not like about the battle system? I didn't really have any major problems with it. And at least it isn't quite as easily breakable as certain other FFs I can think of.


    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

  4. #79
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034
    well mainly the way the ATB works and of course Trance.
    ATB NEVER stopped during anything. Now you might mention that it's the same with the SNES FF's. however there is one big difference. the SNES FF's didn't have long animations so the ATB never stopping wasn't really a problem. however when casting a single spell takes at least 20 seconds in IX you can see my point. I get seriously irritated when i have to wait 3 minutes for a character to execute a command. I won't say anything further for fear of misunderstanding.
    and here we have Trance, the lamest ultimate attack system of any FF, if not game in general. Seemingly ordinary at first and very helpful during the fights against Black Walzt #1 and #3, as i played the game i never got to use it again. And i'm not talking about against a boss, I'm talking in general. Now why does this happen you may ask? BECAUSE IT FUCKING ACTIVATES ON ITS OWN!!! I SO HATE THAT!!! WTF?!!! didn't Square see what MIGHT be wrong with that?! i'll tell you what. it activates during random encouters because like it or not i get attacked. as much as i would want to there is nothing i could do against that. and then trance of a character activates and i don't even get to use it against useless monsters, much less bosses, because ironically they get killed by the rest of the party before i even get a chance.
    I don't care what any of you say. IX had THE WORST battle system of them all and was the worst of them all.
    up until disc 3 i felt like i was being tortured. then i died. and by the end i felt like i was being tortured after death in hell. YES IT WAS THAT BAD. games are supposed to be fun. IX wasn't. not even slightly. I don't want to think "NOT AGAIN!!!" before each battle begins.

    So yeah that's my problem.

  5. #80
    ... topopoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    well mainly the way the ATB works and of course Trance.
    ATB NEVER stopped during anything. Now you might mention that it's the same with the SNES FF's. however there is one big difference. the SNES FF's didn't have long animations so the ATB never stopping wasn't really a problem. however when casting a single spell takes at least 20 seconds in IX you can see my point. I get seriously irritated when i have to wait 3 minutes for a character to execute a command. I won't say anything further for fear of misunderstanding.
    and here we have Trance, the lamest ultimate attack system of any FF, if not game in general. Seemingly ordinary at first and very helpful during the fights against Black Walzt #1 and #3, as i played the game i never got to use it again. And i'm not talking about against a boss, I'm talking in general. Now why does this happen you may ask? BECAUSE IT FUCKING ACTIVATES ON ITS OWN!!! I SO HATE THAT!!! WTF?!!! didn't Square see what MIGHT be wrong with that?! i'll tell you what. it activates during random encouters because like it or not i get attacked. as much as i would want to there is nothing i could do against that. and then trance of a character activates and i don't even get to use it against useless monsters, much less bosses, because ironically they get killed by the rest of the party before i even get a chance.
    I don't care what any of you say. IX had THE WORST battle system of them all and was the worst of them all.
    up until disc 3 i felt like i was being tortured. then i died. and by the end i felt like i was being tortured after death in hell. YES IT WAS THAT BAD. games are supposed to be fun. IX wasn't. not even slightly. I don't want to think "NOT AGAIN!!!" before each battle begins.

    So yeah that's my problem.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTALLY AGREE DUDE! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.....

    you forgot the lame skill system
    V for Valhalla

  6. #81
    Grand Shriner jakob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTALLY AGREE DUDE! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.....

    you forgot the lame skill system
    The whole "learn skills and spells from your equipment with points" bit? That's why I didn't like FFT for GBA, that and I didn't think the gameplay was very good. Yeah, I don't like having to get a certain weapon to get a certain skill or spell... I thought the battle system was just dandy in FFIX, as well as the world. I love the airships and the humor.

    In other words I rather enjoy 9, except for kuja...the.....man?

  7. #82
    Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    3,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    well mainly the way the ATB works and of course Trance.
    ATB NEVER stopped during anything. Now you might mention that it's the same with the SNES FF's. however there is one big difference. the SNES FF's didn't have long animations so the ATB never stopping wasn't really a problem. however when casting a single spell takes at least 20 seconds in IX you can see my point. I get seriously irritated when i have to wait 3 minutes for a character to execute a command. I won't say anything further for fear of misunderstanding.
    and here we have Trance, the lamest ultimate attack system of any FF, if not game in general. Seemingly ordinary at first and very helpful during the fights against Black Walzt #1 and #3, as i played the game i never got to use it again. And i'm not talking about against a boss, I'm talking in general. Now why does this happen you may ask? BECAUSE IT FUCKING ACTIVATES ON ITS OWN!!! I SO HATE THAT!!! WTF?!!! didn't Square see what MIGHT be wrong with that?! i'll tell you what. it activates during random encouters because like it or not i get attacked. as much as i would want to there is nothing i could do against that. and then trance of a character activates and i don't even get to use it against useless monsters, much less bosses, because ironically they get killed by the rest of the party before i even get a chance.
    I don't care what any of you say. IX had THE WORST battle system of them all and was the worst of them all.
    up until disc 3 i felt like i was being tortured. then i died. and by the end i felt like i was being tortured after death in hell. YES IT WAS THAT BAD. games are supposed to be fun. IX wasn't. not even slightly. I don't want to think "NOT AGAIN!!!" before each battle begins.

    So yeah that's my problem.
    Each to their own I guess.

    Reading your post however, I feel I have to clarify a few critical points you have raised about FFIX's battle system.

    Firstly, the ATB system. Yes, I admit FFIX's battles were a little more subdued in pace than FFVII and VIII, but I think that was because the development team were attempting to make each battle more cinematic.

    As for the ATB gauge not stopping, I presume you have it set for 'Active' mode rather than 'Wait', which you can easily change in the Config menu. Additionally, try increasing the Battle speed in Config as well to speed up the ATB gauges in battle (although doing this also speeds up enemies too).

    Secondly, Trance. Um, I'm not sure what FF game you're thinking of, but FFIX uses a similar system to FFVII's Limit Breaks. Below each character's ATB gauge is a Trance gauge which fills each time a character takes damage from the enemy. Once this gauge fills, that character goes into Trance mode. It's not random at all, despite what you said.

    Unlike FFVII and VIII though, you couldn't manipulate this system to increase the times Trance executes by using items or spells (like Hypers in FFVII and the Aura spell in FFVIII), meaning players couldn't develop an over-reliance on it. Trance is meant to be a lifeline in a tough battle, and not a standard ability after all.

    This is further illustrated by the fact only some characters have particularly useful Trances (Zidane's being probably the best, although Vivi's Double Black Magic could be devastating and Eiko's Double White Magic is helpful in tough situations).

    Really, if you think FFIX is hard, you have obviously never played FFXI. Personally I found FFIX to be one of the easiest FF games (sure, it had some tricky battles, but I usually managed to overcome them).
    enkffxisig-new-small

  8. #83
    A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    State Secret (Not Really)
    Posts
    16,778
    I don't think he was saying that the activation was random, so much as that it's so easy for it to come up in random battles that ends up losing the purpose that you described as being a "lifeline" for the tough ones. If you wanted to "save it up," really the only way to do it was try to keep a particular character from being attacked so that the Trance bar is close to full, but not quite there. And Zidane's Trance may be the best earlier in the game, but later on it becomes near-useless, since it can never do more than 9999 damage, and Thievery can be easily powered up to do that. That, plus the fact that while the higher-MP cost Trance attacks look cool, beyond a certain point they just waste more MP to execute when the lower-cost ones also do 9999.


    Oh, and yeah, I always up the battle speed to full-- it's way too sluggish if you leave it on the default setting.

  9. #84
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post

    As for the ATB gauge not stopping, I presume you have it set for 'Active' mode rather than 'Wait', which you can easily change in the Config menu. Additionally, try increasing the Battle speed in Config as well to speed up the ATB gauges in battle (although doing this also speeds up enemies too).
    You misunderstand. The Wait option in the ATB makes the ATB stop while I'm selecting a target to attack, or choosing magic and stuff. That's not my problem. I'm talking about the fact that IX's ATB doesn't stop during anything else. Like when somebody casts magic or even attacks or summons. Much like the SNES FF's like i mentioned earlier. Of course in those it wasn't a problem because there weren't any long animations, and nothing lasted more than 6 seconds max, much unlike IX, In which it takes at least 15 seconds for Vivi or anyone else to cast a simple magic spell.

    Trance was indeed somewhat of a secondary skill, considering you could easily deal the max 9999 using other means. To that end i would much rather there being no Trance at all, than having one and it going to waste ALL the time.

  10. #85
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTALLY AGREE DUDE! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.....

    you forgot the lame skill system
    thanks for agreeing with me, although the skill learning system wasn't that annoying for me. if they fixed the ATB and Trance I could easily live with it.

  11. #86
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    Secondly, Trance. Um, I'm not sure what FF game you're thinking of, but FFIX uses a similar system to FFVII's Limit Breaks. Below each character's ATB gauge is a Trance gauge which fills each time a character takes damage from the enemy. Once this gauge fills, that character goes into Trance mode. It's not random at all, despite what you said.
    Um, what...?

  12. #87
    SHIT! Neg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38,658
    Please use the edit button to add to your post if no one has replied. Triple posting

  13. #88
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg View Post
    Please use the edit button to add to your post if no one has replied. Triple posting
    Sorry I'll keep that in mind.

  14. #89
    Anti-Drama Undercutter mistaeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3
    I don't really feel like it's ignored. I remember when it came out a lot of people said it was the best one yet. It's like a Final Fantasy Greatest Hits album. Plenty of people were turned off by the sprites, but they were the same ones who had only ever played VIII, so what can you do? IX wasn't really for them.

    It was a love-letter to long-term fans. And like real love letters, you may read them occasionally, if you're creepy enough, but you sure as hell don't constantly talk about them. Or something.

    I like Final Fantasy IX.

  15. #90
    jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Posts
    7,077
    When I first got Final Fantasy IX, and after playing it, I didn't like it one bit. Idk why, but I just couldn't get to like it. However, a few years ago I went back and tried again.

    True there are gripes about this game... but I can appreciate how in it's own right it is a good game. Maybe not be the best ever or the absolute perfect (IMO, there is no such thing as a perfect game. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder, what one person considers perfect may not always be the same to another), but it is a good title and a good part of the FF series.


    The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun


    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  16. #91
    Rose of May feralanima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alexandria Castle
    Posts
    2,084
    I have to agree with Mistaeff, it wasn't a game for those who started out with FFVII and FFVIII, it's enjoyed more by the classics fans. I think one of the biggest turn-offs was the graphics style, most say that they're too childish looking. They don't bother me, or a lot of others, but those that started out with VII and VIII had the more "realistic" graphics (I think VII looked like lego's personally) but that's the argument I usually hear. Also, as annoying as "wasted" trances were, they made you rely on your actual skills instead of easily whipping trance out on a boss (one reason I found FFX really easy); it's an added bonus when you get trance during a boss fight.

  17. #92
    ◄lȯ̡̮̩̥̝̹͚͕̝ͪ̅̐̀̚̚lico̓̄ ͉̲͈̻̣̀͐̇ͯ͗n► Argus Zephyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Posts
    2,207
    I never enjoyed the "lego" look of FFVII. FFVIII was sweet, and I prefer FFIX over FFVII anytime, graphics-wise.

    I thought FFIX battle system is rather interesting, but the need to have certain equipment to learn certain skills/spells does get real annoying later on. Sometimes I would skip over equipment because it is not much of an upgrade over what my characters have and quite an expense. But then, I end up going back for it because it offered the chance to learn a new skill/spell I have yet to see anything else offer.

    I'm starting to feel like picking up this game again. n__n
    I'm starting to miss Final Fantasy lately; I haven't played videogames for some time now, much too long as a matter of fact. =P
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    Alternatively,
    if you're an idiot, click [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

  18. #93
    Grand Shriner The Anti-Existence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    869
    FFIX was ignored years ago. Since then I say in the "core" FF fandom it's become the single mos tpopular title with VI it's only real competition.

    II is the most ignored. V used to be hated on if it was discussed at all but I've seen a lot of Evil Tree cocksucking on forums I attend. Honestly don't get the appeal of V.

    P.S.
    I started out with FFVII. And IX is still my favorite and has been for years.
    If you think posting racial slurs on the Internet is morally reprehensible, you should've seen the whipping I gave my negro this morning.

  19. #94
    .
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,974
    FINALLY!! Someone who thinks like I do about this game!!! I couldn't agree more; FFIX is one of the best gems of the series, and all anyone ever remembers it as is "the one that brought the series back to its roots, by having castles and dragons and stuff". Okay, why don't we all just call FFVII "The one that brought the series to futuristic cities and robots and stuff" and mention NOTHING about ITS plot? FFIX gets so little attention or respect from so many people, it makes me sick! To me, it's the most emotional and engrossing plot of the WHOLE SERIES!! Even X doesn't quite tie in! The only gripe about the game itself I've ever had is, "DAMN YOU TRANCE METER!" but aside from that, this game is the cream of the crop when it comes to this series! It's everything "fantasy" should be! Why is FFVII considered the best? I thought the series was Final FANTASY, not Final Futuristic Fairytale Failure!

    I never, EVER use this phrase, but it must be said; FFIX FTW!

  20. #95
    Shriner EColeman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    37

    Smile

    I too feel that this particular installment in the FF series didn't get the same fan fare as the others. I am a game junkie and belong to a few forums and it never seems to make the topic of discussion.

    I loved this FF and Have played it through several times. It's one of my favs.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  21. #96
    .
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,974
    Quote Originally Posted by EColeman24 View Post
    I too feel that this particular installment in the FF series didn't get the same fan fare as the others. I am a game junkie and belong to a few forums and it never seems to make the topic of discussion.

    I loved this FF and Have played it through several times. It's one of my favs.
    Then you just won 1000 points of awesomeness! Every FF title deserves equal praise, not just one or two that are hailed as "the best".

  22. #97
    Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Harrisonburg, Virginia
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    ATB NEVER stopped during anything. Now you might mention that it's the same with the SNES FF's. however there is one big difference. the SNES FF's didn't have long animations so the ATB never stopping wasn't really a problem. however when casting a single spell takes at least 20 seconds in IX you can see my point. I get seriously irritated when i have to wait 3 minutes for a character to execute a command. I won't say anything further for fear of misunderstanding.
    If you used auto-regen, you'd probably just laugh about this because a clever player would exploit that to keep everybody full or nearly so without an actual healer.

    BECAUSE IT FUCKING ACTIVATES ON ITS OWN!!! I SO HATE THAT!!! WTF?!!! didn't Square see what MIGHT be wrong with that?! i'll tell you what. it activates during random encouters because like it or not i get attacked. as much as i would want to there is nothing i could do against that. and then trance of a character activates and i don't even get to use it against useless monsters, much less bosses, because ironically they get killed by the rest of the party before i even get a chance.
    So you're raging because you couldn't "save" your trances like you could in FFVII and unleash a shitstorm of roflstompage at will? While it is annoying that sometimes a Trance will go completely wasted due to a random mob getting killed (which isn't irony, btw), I'd rather be annoyed every once in a while than having limits trivializing pretty much every encounter save the "optional bosses."

    I don't care what any of you say. IX had THE WORST battle system of them all and was the worst of them all.
    That's just a shitty attitude to have.
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

  23. #98
    Sewer Diver Smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Posts
    2,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_Cyan View Post
    If you used auto-regen, you'd probably just laugh about this because a clever player would exploit that to keep everybody full or nearly so without an actual healer.
    Big deal. Auto-Potion would work the same, just waste even more of my time.

    So you're raging because you couldn't "save" your trances like you could in FFVII and unleash a shitstorm of roflstompage at will? While it is annoying that sometimes a Trance will go completely wasted due to a random mob getting killed (which isn't irony, btw), I'd rather be annoyed every once in a while than having limits trivializing pretty much every encounter save the "optional bosses."
    If you want to look at it like that, fine. But there are better ways to make a game challenging. I don't like anything going to waste, especially if I can't even do anything about it.
    And in my epxerience it's not just every once in a while. It's all the time.

    That's just a shitty attitude to have.
    That's my opinion. I'm not trying to enforce it to anybody. I'm saying don't bother trying to convice me otherwise.

  24. #99
    ... topopoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_Cyan View Post
    So you're raging because you couldn't "save" your trances like you could in FFVII and unleash a shitstorm of roflstompage at will? While it is annoying that sometimes a Trance will go completely wasted due to a random mob getting killed (which isn't irony, btw), I'd rather be annoyed every once in a while than having limits trivializing pretty much every encounter save the "optional bosses."
    I think that making it auto-active, loses it's utility & straegical value reducing it to be useful only if you're "lucky", and seeing that activating on a common battle before a boss battle, which can happen a lot, is like the game is mocking you & that's what pisses me off a lot.

    As Smarty said there are much better ways to make things challeging, a good example would be if it's conditional (assuming that the conditions are hard to accomplish) rather than just making the way they did it on IX.

  25. #100
    Shriner
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    31
    Final Fantasy IX was one of my favorites in the whole saga. If there ever was a Final Fantasy thats being REALLY ignored I would say it would be FF Mystical Quest for the SNES.

    I was an ok game. But it was really different from the rest of the saga... and too easy to beat. On the brigth side, the weapons you got could be use in the areas to open paths and collect items.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •