Page 8 of 295 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. - Only a couple songs on it, but every one is an absolute undeniable classic.

No surprise there. Super Mario Bros. wins 6-1. And I agree with Szczepan that it has a shot to win the whole thing. But it has to pass through some much stiffer competition this round…

Round 2

Fight 1

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

Super Mario Bros.

Should be a slugfest between the two. I have a lot of love for Super Mario Bros., and it has undoubtedly the most influential soundtrack in video game history, but in terms of which game has the better music in my opinion, my vote has gotta be for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently DANGANRONPA songs and 10th ANNIVERSARY encores
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quite simply Kondo's masterpiece. Everything from the ocarina songs themselves (such variety using only a few simple notes) to classics like Gerudo Valley, Lon Lon Ranch and the Spirit Temple. Also it's a rare instance of a game soundtrack on such a scale that he composed almost entirely himself. You can say it's aged well too because of the subtle, through-composed, unified nature of its soundworld, compared say to the more schizophrenic nature of the Final Fantasy scores of the same period.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Even Ocarina of Time is not enough to shake my memories of Super Mario Bros

Quote Originally Posted by ravenous19 View Post

I'm going with "Super Mario Brothers" here. I do not own a N64 and have been terribly missing some of the good games that have been released for the N64 (though they were re-released for the GC). I remember my friends telling me that OoT is one of the best Zelda games out there. I have heard some soundtracks from the game and "Gerudo Valley" is probably my favorite song out of the whole bunch.

But I sometimes wonder with a somewhat 10 track versus a somewhat 30 track list. There could be a lot of variety within what a 10 year time span? Yeah they did a remake of the Super Mario Brothers for the NDS I think, but I don't think I've heard the soundtrack for that game, and I'm pretty sure there are some memorable OoT songs heard in other games OTHER than SSB.

Usually the way I think is, the game that produces the most memorable songs for it to appear in another game is extraordinary because it gives us some old gamers a chance like hey, I remember this song versus to the new generation where they have been exposed to a variety with more instruments, but to each their own as they say.

Forgive the ruses of a curious shark.

Because the forums were down, I'll let this run a little longer to give everyone a chance to vote.

Since it's about better music, I'll go with OoT.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time just took down the most important soundtrack in video game history 6-2. That puts it in a pretty good position to win this. Now for another battle between giants…

Round 2

Fight 2

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

vs.

Super Mario 64

I voted against Wind Waker last round, but I’m going to make up for it here. While Super Mario 64 is a lot of fun and I really enjoy its music in-game, I feel Wind Waker is more impressive. Beyond anxiety and happiness—the two emotions most of the Mario 64 soundtrack appeals to—Wind Waker creates something much more complex in examples like “The Legendary Hero” and “Forest Haven” and additionally reflects new influences on Kondo, like Irish bagpipes and Andean pan flutes, that are exciting to hear him try out. He and the other composers seemed to want to push themselves with this soundtrack, both in style and quantity (Wind Waker’s soundtrack has 133 tracks), and in comparison Mario 64 seems safe and familiar. Delightful, fantastic, a classic—but familiar, and a little underwhelming because of it. So my vote is for The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. I definitely enjoyed Super Mario 64, but Wind Waker's music was so much better.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - both good soundtracks, but WW definately beats SM64.

Mario 64 has some of my favorite VGM tracks, so I have to go with it.

I would have to say "Wind Waker". I hardly know any of the tunes in Mario 64. I guess my only favorite theme from Mario 64 is Shipwreck song (but it was a remix version though)?

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker easily

I'll take The Wind Waker

Thanks to everyone who voted. I’m shocked at how easily The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker beat Super Mario 64 (6-1). The Zelda soundtracks now have a good shot at dominating Round 3. On to the next fight…

Round 2

Fight 3

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

vs.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island

Nostalgia, an appreciation for the historical significance of this soundtrack, and the belief that it has the better music of the two contestants are all converging for me right now. This one is easy. My vote is for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I love Yoshi's Island specific graphic style, but that's not what we judge here.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. In fact, I was just listening to that one before I posted this.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past easily in my books. Love them both, but Zelda is the clear winner.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

6-0. This one’s over. A Link to the Past won its last fight by blowout, too, so it remains undisputed. Next up is the final fight of Round 2, and it’s a big one.

Round 2

Fight 4

Super Mario World

vs.

Super Mario Galaxy

While Super Mario World is a great soundtrack and shows off Kondo’s arrangement skills, in my mind it can’t hold a candle to Galaxy. First off, Super Mario World is almost entirely one theme, which is impressive since the game’s music doesn’t quickly become boring, but also uninspired in comparison to Galaxy’s 81 tracks. Secondly, Galaxy represents a major evolution (and in my opinion a successful one) for what a Koji Kondo soundtrack can be. The sweeping orchestral pieces are grand and wonderful, and the imaginative power used in selecting patches for the songs is inspiring. Just as one example, listen to how many elements are in play in “Melty Molten Galaxy.” Finally, I think Galaxy’s music is just as enjoyable in the car as it is in-game; I can’t say the same about Super Mario World’s. So I think the big question here is whether the main theme of Super Mario World is so good that it trounces all of the 81 themes in Galaxy. For me, it’s not. So my vote is for Super Mario Galaxy.