Page 7 of 289 FirstFirst 123456789101112131757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

I'm going for "A Link to the Past". Yay for Four Swords for bringing the music back twice! I was kinda disappointed the remixed songs from SSMB though.

Out of all the Zelda songs, nothing beats Alternate Overworld for me. 2nd favorite song has to be "[Hidden link. Register to see links.]" I think. (I know that it says Four Swords, but it is also in "A Link to the Past".) If you don't remember it, it's Death Mountain when going to Turtle Rock. From one of the soundtracks that I downloaded from Skylagoon it was called "Sky".

It was probably one of my first few games where I'm like "there's another world?!" After being disappointed with Zelda 2 this one totally blew me out of the water. Besides Lufia 2, this game had some nifty puzzles.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Quote Originally Posted by Eshvoide View Post
    It was probably one of my first few games where I'm like "there's another world?!"
    Same here. It felt so nice to know that it's just a half of the game , when i was expecting to see ending and credits.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, one of my favorite games and soundtracks.

For establishing so many amazing themes in the series, and being an epic game to boot! The Lost Woods, Dark World and Hyrule Castle are some of my favs.

Majora's Mask has many great tracks too (Ikana Valley, Sonata of Awakening, Song of Healing, Pirate Fortress), but it also reuses without variation much music from Ocarina.

Thanks to Eshvoide for the memories I'm sure we can all relate to. I’m going to call this one a blow-out. A Link to the Past’s entrance into the competition got it six votes within a couple hours. We’ll see if it can maintain that momentum in the second round. But for now, we’ve got another intra-series battle…

Round 1

Fight 6

Super Mario World
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

Super Mario Bros. 3

This is a tough one. Super Mario World is a great soundtrack, but my vote is for Super Mario Bros. 3. The game's reputation hasn't diminished in the last two decades—and for good reason. The themes, like the level designs, are still vital and (despite the limited technology) in my opinion cover broader territory than the SNES game's soundtrack. While Super Mario World seemed like an experiment for Kondo to see how many ways he could do one theme, with Super Mario Bros. 3 he played to his strengths and delivered songs that captured many different environments and moods.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently CUSTOM songlist and 10th ANNIVERSARY encores
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

This one surely is tough; however Super Mario World has memorable songs for me.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Super Mario World as well.

Tough choice, but has to be a vote for Super Mario World.

SMW

Super Mario World

Wow, this is a toughie... I would have to go "Super Mario Brothers 3", the reason... I dunno, but it was the first debut of "Overworld 2". Because of the difficulty of Super Mario Brothers 3, I think I had to focus it more than Super Mario World. As for Super Mario World, I was more confused and trying to think how do you get there because back then you only had to rely on Nintendo Power or your friends, gameFAQs was still starting anew.

I hated World 5 "Earth & Sky" as well as World 7 "Pipe World". World 6 "Ice" was one of those stages were I pushed the button a tad bit late. World 8 was oh that was dumb mistake, but the only thing that disappointed me was the Bowser Battle (and yes I did fly over the wall to fight the harder one). My favorite stage was probably World 4 "Giant" world.

I think SMB3 started (within the Mario Series)
    - instant side scroller (why I hated 5)
    - the koopa kids
    - mario can fly

Wow. Super Mario World got a big win there (5-2). It might have an easy ride to the finals. Keep an eye on it. Next up we have the penultimate fight of the round…

Round 1

Fight 7

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars

vs.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Two big soundtracks—61 tracks and 133 tracks, respectively—and both with extra composers attached. This is a difficult one, and I can see it going either way, but my vote is for Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars. While Kondo’s contributions to the soundtrack pale in comparison to Shimomura’s (see composer credits [Hidden link. Register to see links.]), Kondo still offered several great themes. I love the melodic percussion ideas he was experimenting with, and I feel like his main themes proved themselves again in this soundtrack. Although the same can be said of Wind Waker, I've just never been as interested in those pieces. But it might just come down to whether you're more in the mood for electronic music or jigs. What do you guys think?

The Legend of Zelda : Wind Waker

Super Mario RPG soundtrack is ok but not even close to what Shimomura created for Legend of Mana and Parasite Eve IMO.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

My vote is "Super Mario RPG." I liked this RPG a lot, and it offered a lot of variety and it fit the mood of the game, now as for Wind Waker it has some pretty good songs in it, but still the music in Super Mario RPG still tops Wind Waker.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker for me. It's an enormously varied soundtrack with many brilliant themes, and expands on the sound of the Zelda universe in interesting ways. In addition to the pieces mentioned above, stand-outs are:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]- a brilliant medieval-sounding opener, with the Gamecube midi doing an admirable job of imitating a harpsichord.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]- a bouncy rendition of Aryll's theme mix with the odd backward glance to 'Kokiri Forest'.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]- sweeping, expansive variation on the original Zelda overworld theme with undulating 'cellos' and 'horns'. What I wouldn't give to hear this played by a real orchestra!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]- like a labyrinthine Bach organ piece. Fits with the stylised graphics perfectly.

There's alo a Bernard Herrmannesque new theme for the Deku Tree, a touching piano rendition of the Hyrule Castle theme from LTTP, and a tour de force end title, combining variaious themes together in counterpoint.

Look out for a FLAC of this soon in the downloads section

Legend of Zelda

The Wind Waker.

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker comes out on top (5-3) and gets the winners a little closer to an even split between Mario and Zelda games. Now for the final fight in Round 1…

Round 1

Fight 8

Super Mario Bros.

vs.

Super Mario Sunshine

You all have heard this before, but one of my favorite details about the Super Mario Bros. soundtrack is that Nobuo Uematsu said “Overworld” should become the Japanese national anthem. Perhaps that’s enough to suggest its importance? My vote is for Super Mario Bros.

I'm gonna have to go with Super Mario Sunshine here.

Super Mario Bros.

It's a total classic that defined Nintendo and videogames in general vs the pleasant but relatively disappointing soundtrack for Sunshine. Easy choice.

Super Mario Bros

Ultimate classic of all classics. This or Zelda : A Link to the Past will win this rumble i think .

I will vote for "Super Mario Bros". It's the game that started it all. Sunshine really had a good OST (imo) but you can still hear some of the original music in it.