Best of Daisuke Amaya (Pixel) [songs]
    This room just reeks of optimism. ~ Dr. Knox

Grand Shriner
    The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human

Best of Danganronpa
    arthurgolden's Best Video Game Music Covers
    Shad's Best Video Game Music Covers

Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    Thanks to nx666 for designing the rumble! I'd love to know your take on the final round—and the fact that it was a sweep.
    It wouldn't have been a sweep if I had seen this in time :-) Since every round was pretty much a toss-up for me, I usually voted for the underdog.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Check out my podcast: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Titanfall 2

I don't know why I had it in my head the whole time that the cover one was 16 tracks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arthur's custom 32 covers kicks off now!

And The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human advances 4-3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1, Fight 7 // Best of 2016

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Clancy's The Division by Ola Strandh
    Sample tracks: [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV by Ben Babbitt
    Sample tracks: [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Round 1, Fight 1 // Arthur's Custom Covers

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] (from Kingdom Hearts)

vs.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] (from Spelunky)

Awesome! I've been looking forward to this. I really hope others hear something they like.

Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV

Mree - Simple and Clean - I love everything Songe does. Really clever stuff. Some transformative choices. He'd be on a short list of channels I'd say are well worth subscribing to. But Mree's cover...holy cow. I am not overly fond of VGM vocal covers. I straight up do not like the official release of this track. But Mree's arrangement and performance are just beautiful.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently CUSTOM songlist and 2016 soundtracks
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Kentucky Route Zero

Mree - Simple & Clean - This is absolutely great.

Something to Protect feralanima's Avatar
    Tom Clancy's The Division

Songe - Mines Melody

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Round 1, Fight 7 // Best of 2016
    Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV by Ben Babbitt
    Sample tracks: Dark Rum Noir, My Light Heaven, Glowing Arms, Angel Wings, Music For Rivers

Round 1, Fight 1 // Arthur's Custom Covers
    Songe - Mines Medley (from Spelunky)

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV

Songe - Mines Medley

Will update in a bit!

Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV (4-1) and Songe - Mines Medley (3-2) advance!

Round 1, Fight 8 // Best of 2016

Dark Souls 3 by Yuka Kitamura & Motoi Sakuraba

vs.

Civilization VI by various artists

Round 1, Fight 2 // Arthur's Custom Covers

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] (from Skyrim)

vs.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] (from Suikoden II)

Civilization VI - This is more or less a toss-up for me.

Les Vieilles Biscottes - White Deer Inn - The gods of randomness have followed up one of the two solo vocal theme songs in the rumble with the other. So if that's not your thing, total fluke that we ended up with one apiece in the first two fights. That said, Malukah's cover is by far, by far, by far the most popular selection in this rumble. It's wonderful. On the other hand, I am, of course, an unapologetic Suikoden fanatic. I love the series and have extremely positive memories bound up with the music. So listening to White Deer Inn might work on my emotions a lot more than anyone else. I really like this match-up since they're both such simple songs.

Hey Shad, the Dark Souls videos aren't working. It says that the videos are no longer available because the account was deleted.
    Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. -V

Bizarre. They were working last night.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    Bizarre. They were working last night.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    I have no idea what happened, but thank you, Arthur, for the new links.

Dark Souls III

Malukah
    - I'm typically not a big fan of vocals in my OST's or vocal covers, but what a wonderful sounding voice she has!

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] if you want to nab the whole soundtrack.

So yeah, Civ 6 does a nice job of compiling folk tunes for the various regions it represents, I guess, though it's not particularly creative in how it presents them. I happened to listen to Dark Souls III a bunch last week before it procced as the next entry here, and I've listened to Civilization VI twice through since. It's uh, kind of a snooze fest. There's really no comparison, in my opinion. Dark Souls III

Malukah. Really surprised I'm voting for a vocal track here heh. It managed to overcome my natural distaste for vocals in video game music, at least up against a really easy and direct cover in White Deer Inn.

I actually really openly dislike the Civilization VI soundtrack the more I listen to it haha. It's just really cheesy in a not-remotely-endearing way. Like the France motif (which I always thought was an Italian folk melody) escalating from a soft background piece to something really dramatic. The tune just doesn't port over well to that style, or else they did a poor job of it.

Grand Shriner
    Civilization VI
    Malukah - The Dragonborn Comes

Grand Shriner
    Dark Souls 3

Malukah - The Dragonborn Comes

Civilization VI - toss-up

White Deer Inn - the other one's fine. Maluakh's voice isn't my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    I actually really openly dislike the Civilization VI soundtrack the more I listen to it haha.
    Lol. "Snooze fest" makes sense to me. I think there's some fun to be had in hearing how they tried to represent different cultures and progress those ideas, not always successfully. But I know what you mean. To be honest, my vote was more about Dark Souls. It's a good soundtrack, but it's the third one in a row using the same techniques to the same effect. I've heard it before I hear it. It's like watching a baseball game. You can predict at least 75% of the experience before it starts.

As a side note, GDQx has been posting speedruns from last month's charity marathon, and [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.] are included. Linked for anyone who wants to hear the music in context or experience the full games as efficiently as possible.

I need to give the first two a listen again. I tend to soak in modern vgm very passively. It becomes my background music while I'm working for a few days and I often don't have a clear idea of what did or didn't appeal to me. I don't really remember how the first two went at all right now. Dark Souls 3 stood out to me in the sense that, while I enjoyed it as background music, I got the feeling there would be a lot of substance to take in if I did ever sit down and hear it out attentively.

Sorry updates to this thread have slowed down a lot lately. In this case, I'm out of town until Monday and don't have the spreadsheets for it with me to update.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    I need to give the first two a listen again. I tend to soak in modern vgm very passively. It becomes my background music while I'm working for a few days and I often don't have a clear idea of what did or didn't appeal to me. I don't really remember how the first two went at all right now. Dark Souls 3 stood out to me in the sense that, while I enjoyed it as background music, I got the feeling there would be a lot of substance to take in if I did ever sit down and hear it out attentively.

Sorry updates to this thread have slowed down a lot lately. In this case, I'm out of town until Monday and don't have the spreadsheets for it with me to update.
    This is pretty much how I listen to modern vgm myself. Especially WoW. I enjoy it as background music, but most of it doesn't necessarily stand out. I always try to save the ones that do standout onto a personal playlist.

I have this problem when I try to look for tracks I specifically like in a game. A lot of the tracks will be so similar-sounding and run together, so nothing in particular will stand out. It's easier to find out stuff, I think, when there's less to work with. That's partially why tracks from old games are so recognizable. Composers could only do so much, so you would have stuff that sounds good and would be easily familiar. Once there's more and more options for everybody to use, everyone may want to try the same layering and composition techniques and all that jazz, so fewer things will stand out. Shout out to composers who experiment with their sound. Now, are these orchestrated tracks bad because they're not recognizable? No. If it accomplishes its purpose, which is to enhance the experience of the game, then everything's all good. Like some of y'all have said, it often ends up being background music, which is not bad, just a different experience. What would life be without music anyway?