Page 271 of 271 FirstFirst ... 171221261265266267268269270271
Results 6,751 to 6,772 of 6772

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

I've been gathering up most of the soundtracks in this rumble, and I think I'm going to try to listen to them all completely instead of just the samples. This would have been a bit of a challenge with previous soundtrack ones, but these are all recent enough that they're still easy to find.

I'd love to have your additional perspective. Some of them are looooong, which discourages participation in the group pages. I remember VA-11 HALL-A, for example, had so much music that they released its soundtrack in three volumes.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently CUSTOM songlist and 2016 soundtracks
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I think the original release just cut a lot out where Second Round is the more complete soundtrack (including the songs from the first release). There's a "Bonus Tracks" compilation, but it appears to be short and a lot of them are "remixes" so I don't know if they even appear in the game. Prologue is the soundtrack to the original 2014 demo of the game.

I didn't actually listen to Owlboy in full yet; will probably do that today. I got hooked hard on Unravel while I was grabbing all of these and ended up listening to it for 3+ hours yesterday.

Something to Protect feralanima's Avatar
    Providence

Owlboy
    - this one is very relaxing and scenic.

Dokkaebi-ga Ganda

VA-11 HALL-A (great point for me to jump in on given that this was one of my favorite games of 2016)

Nice to see you on board Amy! :o

Dokkaebi-ga Ganda (5-2) and Owlboy (4-3) advance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 4 // nx666's Custom 16

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], by Alberto Jose González (ZX Spectrum, 1991)

vs.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], by Matthias Hartung (C64, 1995)

Round 1, Fight 2 // Best of 2016

Star Fox Zero by various artists
    Sample tracks: [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

Samorost 3 by Floex (Tomáš Dvořák)
    Sample tracks: [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Black It!

Star Fox Zero
    - Don't know if I'm the only one, but I get Radiohead vibes from Samorost 3 lol. I'm preferring something more grandiose tonight. Plus, Zero's version of Corneria is my favorite Star Fox song ever, so that might swing it as well.
    This room just reeks of optimism. ~ Dr. Knox

The Light Corridor

Samorost 3 - This is one of my absolute favorites in the rumble. I think it's excellent.

The Light Corridor

Samorost 3
    ~I've already listened to both of these somewhat extensively. My impression from listening (and reading other things about the game) is that Star Fox Zero was a bit of a rush job. I don't think the sound team was given much opportunity to refine this one, and the end product at least for me is generic Star Fox music. Maybe that's not an accurate statement--the game's development can be traced all the way back to 2008--but either way I'm not hearing much of an imaginative spark here. Whereas Samorost has a really unique sound going.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Black It!

Samorost 3

The Light Corridor

Star Fox Zero - Samorost's soundtrack is super interesting from a compositional standpoint but I'm a sucker for sweeping orchestral themes and have a lot of nostalgia for Star Fox so oops

Quote Originally Posted by Szczepan View Post
    Black It!

Samorost 3
    Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. -V

Grand Shriner
    Black It! - Title Screen
    Samorost 3
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Check out my podcast: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

The original Suikoden battle theme was ripped straight out of Policenauts (also a Konami composition).

Learn something useless every day!

Grand Shriner
    Black It! - Title Screen

Samorost 3 - one of my favourites is Monk Planet Main Theme [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

@Shad: Nice catch! I never noticed how similar they are.

Also of the random variety, The 8-Bit Big Band just released [Hidden link. Register to see links.] of the Super Mario Bros. music (just ignore the actor).

If you like that, I'd also recommend [Hidden link. Register to see links.] about the thought process behind the orchestration.

@fowftw: Thanks for the suggestion! That one is also great.

Black It! (5-3) and Samorost 3 (6-2) advance!

Semi-Finals, Fight 1 // nx666's Custom 16

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], by Markus Schneider (C64, 1989)

vs.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], by Senori Box (MS-DOS, 1995)

Round 1, Fight 3 // Best of 2016

Virginia by Lyndon Holland

vs.

Trials of the Blood Dragon by Power Glove

No Mercy - Ending

Trials of the Blood Dragon

This is a fun fight for discussing the line between homage and rip-offs.

I love the Virginia soundtrack, but there's a lot of borrowing on it. "Sojourner's Truth" is nearly a copy/paste of the Twin Peaks melody. Certainly, the show inspired the game. But that could have meant the instrumentation or the shape of the melody was the same. This is closer to an arrangement of a pre-existing piece. I hear reference points in many of the other tracks, too, such as the clear nod to the Goonies soundtrack two minutes into "Lucas Fairfax."

In the same breath, Trials of the Blood Dragon also borrows, but with clearer intentions considering it's a parody of 80s culture. So for me, the register of Thriller's bass line getting punctuated with orchestra hits is playful and in-bounds, particularly since it's not using the same chords and melody and instrumentation and structure to the same effect as any of its inspirations.

It took me a while to vote because of this. There are certainly other perspectives on the borrowing, too. What say you all?

No Mercy

Virginia

Interesting points you bring up Arthur. As I've never played the games or seen the show so I can't compare. I've seen the Goonies, but it's been so long that I wouldn't have been able to pick out the similarities.

I definitely get the 80's theme from TotBD. But, again, I wasn't listening for similarities and wouldn't have noticed without them being pointed out.

I mostly listen to the tracks and base them off of each other because I have no other reference points.

No Mercy

Virginia

Keep Yourself Alive - Theme Of Sol Badguy - By Daisuke Ishiwatari (Guilty Gear OST, 1998)

Nothing beats the old-school version of the very first Guilty Gear Soundtrack that was released in late 1998. The original versions of the songs being played, gives it more of a nostalgic feel to it.
    The Mind Is More Of An Experience Than For What It Would Become... For Destiny Is To Be What We Cannot Challenge To Be Against.

Grand Shriner
    No Mercy

Trials of the Blood Dragon - tough one!