Page 10 of 295 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415162060110 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    I started gathering song links with the intention of voting for A Link to the Past, which is one of my favorite games and soundtracks. But when I realized how hard it was going to be to shave down the songs from Ocarina to a list of ten, I changed my mind. Not only is this the more ambitious and superior soundtrack in my mind, but the ways in which Kondo overcame the game’s limitations are astounding. We could go on and on just about the ocarina songs—all of them memorable, and with only a few notes to work with. So my vote is for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as Kondo’s best work.
    Spot on! Count that as a vote for Ocarina of Time from me too. A stunningly developed, varied and memorable score. The disembodied, ethereally floating 'vocal' of Malon at the end almost brings me to tears.

Wow. We've got a tie. I'll extend the regular voting until midnight and if there's no tie-break we'll go into sudden death mode (where the next vote ends the round and determines the winner). Thanks to all who have participated so far.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently DANGANRONPA songs and 10th ANNIVERSARY encores
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I can break the tie;

Ocarina of Time.

And the winner of the Kōji Kondō battle is…

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time!
    (1998)

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

It's a deserving winner. Ocarina of Time gave us the House theme, Hyrule Field, Lost Woods, Zora’s Domain, Temple of Time, Windmill Hut, Gerudo Valley, Bolero of Fire, Spirit Temple, Lon Lon Ranch, Goron City, Inside Jabu Jabu’s Belly, Sheik’s Theme, an even better Great Fairy’s Fountain and Zelda’s Theme—and that’s just getting us started. It is ambitious and inspiring, and the ways in which Kondo overcame the game’s limitations are astounding. Just take the ocarina songs as an example: all of them are memorable and in each case Kondō only had a few notes to work with. The music is a big part of why Zelda fans often call this the greatest installment in the series.

Fun Fact: Ocarina of Time was developed alongside Super Mario 64, just as the original Legend of Zelda was developed alongside Super Mario Bros. ten years prior.

Record: 4-1, 6-2, 5-2, 5-4

Well, that was another great battle. Thanks to all of you who voted! I hope you enjoyed it.

I’ll post details about the next battle soon.

Just a reminder: if you have an idea for a theme that you’d like to do, shoot me a PM. I’m open to anything.

Bah... oh well. -wonders what is the next battle-

Actually, seeing A Link To The Past lose is a bit of a disappointment. Not much though, since it put up a good fight.

First off, a big THANKS to everyone who sent me suggestions. We now have a bank of about 25 ideas, many of which are way better than anything I had planned and which I’m really interested in starting. In fact, I’m interested enough that I’m now considering shelving the idea I’ve been working on since before the Kōji Kondō battle started. My plan was to do Aquatic Level Themes next because…

1) that has been the most popular themed thread
    2) I wanted to alternate between composer rumbles and individual song rumbles
    3) and I thought it’d be a good opportunity to hear a lot of songs I hadn’t heard before.

However, you may not be so excited about it. So here’s the deal. I’ll post the details about the Aquatic Level Themes rumble below. Take a look at the list of songs and tell me if you’re interested in doing this rumble next. If I hear “no” a lot, we’ll switch to another idea (like the best songs of the NES or the best songs of the Castlevania series) and go with that. The only downside is that I might not be able to start the new idea for a week or so. But it doesn’t matter to me whether we do Aquatic Level themes now or later. Let me know what YOU want to do. Majority vote rules.

Below is the list of 32 songs I chose. My goals included representing the different generations of consoles equally (or close to it), including songs from major franchises while also acknowledging the occasional song from a lesser-known game, limiting all franchises to three or fewer entries, and making the most interesting and diverse selection possible. Obviously, no list is going to please everybody, but if you see something on the “leftovers” list that you definitely would like to include in the rumble, let me know and I’ll switch something out.

Here are the songs I think should go in the rumble:

Spoiler!

And here is a list of most of the other songs from the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (minus the most recent suggestions). See if there’s anything on here that you really want to see in the rumble.

Spoiler!

If you get through the list and you’re not interested in any of the songs or games, let me know. We’ll do something else.

So to summarize, choose one:
    A) I want do an Aquatic Level Themes rumble next.
    B) I want do an Aquatic Level Themes rumble next, but I’d like to add a song to the list.
    C) I want to do a Best of the NES rumble next.
    D) I want to do a Best of Castlevania rumble next.

While I'm really looking forward to a NES rumble, I think going with the aquatic rumble first is probably a better idea since you can start it right away. This way it gives you time to get the next one ready while this rumble is being held.

Realistically though, I don't mind which rumble we have next; I enjoy them all the same.

And my final answer is:

A) I want do an Aquatic Level Themes rumble next.

I guess I'll go with Aquatic Themes... I dunno if I want to add a song though.

Gyeh, to fight with Bubbleman. O.o

---

- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (NES)
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (DS & PSP)

(If there is water on the stage but you don't go through th water, there are more songs I can add)

For instance:
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (PSX)
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (SNES, PSX)
    - Guardian Recall: The Great Ocean (I think it's a theme for somebody though) (PSX)
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (Level: Going through the Queen of Hearts ship) (DC, PS2)
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (Boss Fight with De Rol Lie in the waste deposit sewer) (DC, GC, XBOX)
    - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (the youtube video is bad quality :/ ) (Saturn, PSX)

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    My vote for Aquatic Themes, but Best of Castlevania sounds nice too (maybe in next rumble? ).
    I'll add my Aquatic Themes suggestions here:

and maybe

Legend of Mana - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

The Treasures of the Deep one, sounds nice (crap... now I want that song :/ )

Aquatic Level Themes it is then! Thanks for all your nominations. Below is the final list of songs.

1. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    2. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    3. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    4. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    5. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    6. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    7. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    8. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    9. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    10. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    11. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    12. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    13. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    14. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    15. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    16. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    17. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    18. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    19. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    20. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    21. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    22. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    23. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    24. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    25. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    26. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    27. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    28. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    29. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    30. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    31. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    32. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Okay. Hold on for just a little bit. We’ll be starting soon…

Let’s get started.

Round 1

Fight 1

by Masaya Kuzume and Yuka Tsujiyoko (1996) for the SNES
    Fun fact: This game started life as Panel de Pon in Japan, but was given Super Mario World 2 sprites, Tsujiyoko’s arrangements of several songs from that game, and renamed Tetris Attack for its US release.

How should a water level sound? Video game composers have answered this question in as many diverse ways as there are musical styles. Tetris Attack gives us the first example of a calming approach with a simply structured, glockenspiel-and-bass-driven song. What makes this interesting is the held chord hanging over the composition and the pitter patter bass drum, which both lend a dreamlike and playful quality to the music.

vs.

by Masami Ueda, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Rei Kondo, and Akari Groves (2006) for the PS2 and Wii
    Fun fact: At the 2008 BAFTA Video Games Awards, Okami won Best Score.

From the five-CD Okami soundtrack, we get another calm song, also using sustained notes in the background to lend a dreamy quality to the music, but this time to set up the chord progression rather than merely establish tension with it. In the second section, the koto/harp/vocal patches give way abruptly to a quick arpeggiated harp part, a flute melody, and slightly piercing strings that, strangely, are equally suited to a moment of quick action or the slow rise and fall of objects in the water. This is one of many examples of the way the composers of Okami masterfully took rock structures and traditional koto and flute music and fused them together into beautiful pieces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1

Fight 2

by Takashi Tateishi, Manami Matsumae, and Yoshihiro Sakaguchi (1988) for the NES
    Fun fact: Mega Man 2 was novelized by Scholastic in 1990, and in the story Mega Man is turned into a human accidentally.

Mega Man 2 takes us in a decidedly new direction for aquatic level music. Without the technical ability to do dense strings, the composers instead created an appropriately bubbly ascending bass line paired with the strong melody writing that is a feature of every song on this soundtrack.

vs.

by Keizo Nakamura (1989) for the NES
    Fun fact: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is one of the all-time best-selling NES games not made by Nintendo.

This song uses many of the same techniques as the Bubble Man music—the build-up opening, the quickly arpeggiated bass line, and the strong melody—to create a similar impression of forward motion and danger. Appropriate since it accompanies the notorious “defuse bomb” stage in TMNT: a difficult, time-limited challenge near the beginning of a very difficult game. The song’s quality as well as the quality of the rest of the soundtrack seems to be one of the few plausible explanations for why kids kept playing this game despite stages like this.

My votes are for Tetris Attack – Water World and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Defuse Bombs (Area 2-2) .

Okami – Dragon Palace so beautiful that i can not describe

and

Mega Man 2 – Bubble Man

Okami – Dragon Palace

Mega Man 2 – Bubble Man

Dark Wizard
    ^Same as these 2 for this one.

Okami: Dragon Palace & Megaman 2: Bubbleman

About TMNT (NES), I hated that defusing bomb stage (mainly because of the electrical seaweed), but compared to some other levels, it should be a piece of cake after a few tries.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmaster913 View Post
    Okami – Dragon Palace

Mega Man 2 – Bubble Man

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmaster913 View Post
    Okami – Dragon Palace

Mega Man 2 – Bubble Man

Wow. I'm ending this early since I'm the only one who voted against the majority and we've got six votes in a row for the same two songs. Okami and Mega Man 2 are the first to move on, both winning 6-1. Next up...

Round 1

Fight 3

by David Wise, Eveline Fischer, and Robin Beanland (1994) for the SNES
    Fun fact: Around the time of the game’s release, a 15-minute VHS tape called Donkey Kong Country: Exposed was sent to Nintendo Power subscribers to tout the game’s graphical sophistication and to give players tip and tricks for finding several of the game’s secrets.

To crib my description from the first rumble: Donkey Kong Country received well-deserved praise for its stunning pre-rendered 3D graphics, but it was equally hard to ignore the game’s electronic, ambient, and Caribbean-peppered soundtrack. Like the visuals, the music expanded player perceptions of what a Donkey Kong game could be, and, in particular, “Aquatic Ambience” lent emotional complexity to the series that hadn’t been there before. The opening arpeggio that fades in and out, the faux-guitar distortion and piano that follow it, the harp that sweeps upward and gives way to an almost country twang, and then the way that twang recedes into the distance as a little coda finishes off the melody—all cumulatively give the impression of mystery and allure that befits something so mysterious and alluring as the vast ocean.

vs.

by Junko Tamiya (1990) for the NES
    Fun fact: The game is based off an animated film, which was itself based off Winsor McCay’s dark, violent, surreal comic strip Little Nemo in Slumberland.

This jaunty and pleasant piece has inspired a lot of comments about nostalgia and childhood on its YouTube page, and I think there’s something to that. Its simplicity is charming, and it fits the game perfectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1

Fight 4

by Kōji Kondō (1998) for the [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Fun fact: Songs from this soundtrack have a habit of winning around here.

A little sprinkling of notes and some occasional clashes of wind chimes go a long way here because of Kondo’s always-interesting choice of patches. While playing the game, you probably heard this song a lot, too, because of how difficult this dungeon is. Also of note: this is the first song in the rumble attempting a scary atmosphere for a water level.

vs.

by Jun Senoue, Kenichi Tokoi, Fumie Kumatani, and Tomoya Ohtani (2001) for the Dreamcast and GameCube
    Fun fact: Sonic Adventure 2 won GamePro and IGN’s Editors’ Choice Awards.

The clavi-like bass line, organ, flute, and percussion give this song a mellow feel just like the title promises. It also represents the larger change in sound that accompanied many of the turn-of-the-century Sonic games, which moved away from the playful sense of adventure the series shared with the Mario games into perhaps edgier territory. Along with that experimentation came some questionable choices, though, like these head-scratcher lyrics: “Guaranteed, though, Imma find the em-e-ralds / They don't call me Knuckles for nothing. I can’t lose.”

My votes are for Donkey Kong Country – Aquatic Ambiance and Sonic Adventure 2 – Dive into the Mellow (despite the lyrics).

Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Night Sea
    a suprisingly catchy tune from a game that i never heared before
    &
    Sonic Adventure 2 – Dive into the Mellow

Dark Wizard
    Donkey Kong & Sonic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Szczepan View Post
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Night Sea
    a suprisingly catchy tune from a game that i never heared before
    &
    Sonic Adventure 2 – Dive into the Mellow