Page 1 of 219 12345671151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

The Official Video Game Music Rumble

Welcome! Thanks to Sarah and the moderators for their approval of this thread.

Here’s how this works.
    - Each round will be open for 48 hours, more or less. The winner is the song with the most votes.
    - If there’s a tie, I’ll make an announcement stating that the next song to get a vote will win.
    - If there’s a blow-out, I’ll end the round early.
    - This thread is for voting only, so no discussion or off-topic banter is allowed. However, in the post in which you vote, you may mention why you voted the way you did.
    - Please put your vote—and only your vote—in BOLD. You get one vote per fight.
    - All participating songs will be linked to YouTube.
    - The match-ups will be made randomly (currently via [Hidden link. Register to see links.]).

As we get started, please let me know through PM if you have questions or suggestions. My goal is to make this thread interesting and worth your time.

Battle 1: Un-themed
    Spoiler!

Battle 2: Koji Kondo soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 3: Aquatic Level themes
    Spoiler!

Battle 4: Castlevania songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 5: NES soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 6: Nobuo Uematsu soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 7: Metal Gear songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 8: SNES soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 9: Genesis soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 10: Yasunori Mitsuda soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 11: Mega Man songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 12: Suikoden songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 13: PlayStation soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 14: Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 15: PlayStation 2 soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 16: Composer vs. Composer
    Spoiler!

Battle 17: Final Fantasy songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 18: Metroid songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 19: Tim Follin songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 20: Motoi Sakuraba soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 21: Game Boy songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 22: N64 soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 23: The Legend of Zelda songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 24: World of Warcraft songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 25: ArthurGolden's Custom Rumble
    Spoiler!

Battle 26: Yoko Shimomura soundtracks
    Spoiler!

Battle 27: Shad's Custom Rumble
    Spoiler!

Battle 28: Akira Yamaoka songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 29: Commodore 64 songs
    Spoiler!

Battle 30: 7th Gen Console soundtracks
    Spoiler!

*Fighting Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Finals
    Last edited by arthurgolden; 08-29-2016 at 12:57 AM.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently 7TH GEN soundtracks and C64 songs
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I nominate:

Zelda Overworld Theme
    Super Mario Theme (SMB Overworld)
    Pokemon Theme
    Banjo-Kazooie theme
    Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1)
    Lost Woods (Saria's Theme, Ocarina of Time)
    Open Your Heart (Sonic Adventure)
    Live and Learn (Sonic Adventure 2)
    Fountain of Dreams (Melee, Nightmare in Dreamland)
    Green Greens (any Kirby Game)
    Mona Pizza (WarioWare)
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl Theme
    Athletic (Super Mario world and Yoshi's Island)
    Ai no Uta (Pikmin)

(these are all from the Mother series)
    Pollyana
    Bein' Friends
    Eight Melodies
    Frank comes out Swinging (New Age Retro Hippie battle)
    Buy Something, Will ya! (drugstore)
    Smiles and Tears
    Theme of Love
    Porky's Theme (Brawl version)
    Theme of King P

Thanks DragonKazooie. Now what about everyone else? Type the name of your favorite video game song. It doesn't hurt...

Or are people still wondering what a rumble is?

Grand Shriner
    Guess I'll go ahead and nominate a few of my faves... I'll try not to go overboard. XD;

[Banjo-Kazooie] Freezeezy Peak; Rusty Bucket Bay
    [Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts] Showdown Town
    [Banjo-Tooie] Mayahem Temple
    [Cave Story] Main Theme
    [Diddy Kong Racing] Crescent Island; Darkmoon Caverns
    [Donkey Kong 64] Angry Aztec
    [Donkey Kong Country] Aquatic Ambience; DK Island Swing
    [Donkey Kong Country 2] Hot Head Bop; Krook's March; Stickerbrush Symphony
    [Dr. Mario] Chill; Fever
    [Kingdom Hearts] Hikari (Orchestrated)
    [Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards] Zero-Two
    [Kirby Super Star] Candy Mountain; Halberd Themes (First and Second, can't remember the official titles); Underground Jungle
    [The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past] Dark World; Hyrule Castle
    [The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask] Song of Healing; Stone Tower Temple
    [The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time] Hyrule Field; Last Battle; Lon Lon Ranch (Epona's Song); Windmill Hut (Song of Storms)
    [The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess] Hyrule Field
    [The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker] Dragon Roost Island; Molgera; Ocean
    [Mario Kart 64] Rainbow Road
    [Metal Slug] Final Attack; Main Theme
    [New Super Mario Bros.] Main Theme
    [Okami] Crimson Helm's Extermination (Boss Theme); Dragon Palace; Kusa Village; Northern Village Kamui; Reset; The Sun Rises
    [Pokemon Diamond & Pearl] Battle Vs. Dialga/Palkia
    [Pokemon Gold & Silver] Battle Vs. Gym Leader
    [Pokemon Red & Blue] Battle Vs. Champion
    [Star Fox 64] Area 6; Star Wolf
    [Super Mario 64] Dire Dire Docks; Koopa's Road; Main Theme; Slider
    [Super Mario Bros. 2] Overworld
    [Super Mario Bros. 3] Airship; Ending
    [Super Mario Galaxy] Battlerock Galaxy; Buoy Base Galaxy; Good Egg Galaxy; Gusty Garden Galaxy; Melty Molten Galaxy
    [Super Mario World] Castle; Ending
    [Super Metroid] Main Theme
    [Super Smash Bros.] Credits
    [Super Smash Bros. Brawl] Main Theme
    [Super Smash Bros. Melee] Opening; Menu 2
    [Yoshi's Island] Flower Garden

... Uh, okay, maybe I went overboard...

Great suggestions. Overboard is good. One day left! Keep 'em coming.

Nominations are closed. The rumble will soon start.

"Video Game Music"... meh, this selection sucks from the point of view of someone who grew up on Sony PS1 titles. Damn them being overlooked.

Thanks Neg for the banner!!

Round 1

Fight 1

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    The second half of a song from the expansive five-CD Okami soundtrack, this piece fits scenes of open-field running quite well. The melody trades off between the flutes and brass over a surprisingly heavy percussion, and the result is a song that is distinctly Eastern while also seeming almost mysteriously appropriate for the closing credits of a spaghetti western. This interweaving of genres is true of the rest of the soundtrack, which has been described as “a startling fusion of techno tracks and traditional flute, shamisen and koto music. The composers attempt to refine Jpop into tasteful compositions, while pumping some life into the traditionally funereal kabuki fare, attaining surprisingly successful results. The soundtrack takes a stab at every Japanese genre in arm's reach, for the most part succeeding brilliantly. The music composition by Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Masami Ueda, and Rei Kondou, is both distinctive and tasteful.” Awards: At the 2008 BAFTA Video Games Awards, Okami won Best Score.

Equally rocking and melody-driven is the Goliath to Okami’s David, the famous “Guile’s Stage Theme.” This song probably conjures images of late adolescence, hanging out in arcades or staying up late with your SNES and a couple friends who you drifted away from after high school until waking up one day to see a Facebook friend request from one of them. This song is an epochal piece in that way, one that helped define an era of head-to-head fighters and just plain ol’ good times. It also was something cool to whistle along to while your friend sat crouched at the other end of the screen, waiting to do a flash kick the minute you came close.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1

Fight 2

Wow to this match-up. Two classic pieces, with probably a slight edge in familiarity to Zelda. This is, of course, the piece that most of us heard in 8-bit form at the beginning of one of Nintendo’s first open-exploration games. It has been covered countless times, and covers have been attributed to famous musicians countless times. In terms of worldwide familiarity, it must rank just under the Super Mario Bros. “Overworld” theme. Its melody is eminently hummable, and suggests something heroic and, with that little drop at the :06 mark, maybe even the beginning of an adventure. Plenty more is said about Zelda’s importance to gaming [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. Suffice it to say, the series goes on, which is something only precious few properties from that era can claim.

This one, too, seems to suggest the beginning of something big with that seventeen-second opening, hanging on until the main melody comes in at :34. One thing to note is the impressive quality of the arpeggiated sound, created all the way back in 1992. The song is capable of sounding monstrous on headphones even with the limiting technology used to create it. The song also is somewhat emblematic of things to come for Uematsu, who now uses his Black Mages band to feature his more heavy-metal-friendly compositions. Though certain parts of the world had to wait until 1998 to play this game, this song quickly rose to “fan favorite” status and has remained there.

Thanks go to my wife for choosing four random numbers between 1 and 32. She is responsible for these match-ups. Please note the rules in the OP and PM me if you have any questions.

My votes are for Okami - Northern Country Kamui II and The Legend of Zelda – Overworld Theme.

Grand Shriner The Anti-Existence's Avatar
    Fight 1:
    Guile's Stage Theme

Fight 2:
    Clash on the Big Bridge
    If you think posting racial slurs on the Internet is morally reprehensible, you should've seen the whipping I gave my negro this morning.

Okami – Northern Country Kamui II & The Legend of Zelda – Overworld Theme

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Existence View Post
    Fight 1:
    Guile's Stage Theme

Fight 2:
    Clash on the Big Bridge

Fight 1:

Okami – Northern Country Kamui II --- It just sounds so epic and amazing.

Fight 2:

The Legend of Zelda – Overworld Theme --- I probably would have gone with the one from A Link to the Past, but this works.

Certified VGM Collector Lackadaisical's Avatar
    Fight 1:
    The clear winner is "Guile (U.S.A.)" as the original, and its numerous remixes, have proven themselves to stand the test of time quite well. It's more well-known, it's more versatile (instrumentation), and its melody is far more appealing/accessible. Ookami's Nothern Country Kamui II, on the other hand, sounds like an updated version of something that could have come off the VM Japan soundtrack. That's not to say that it's bad, but having heard the VM Japan soundtrack before the Ookami one, it just feels like it lacks originality.

Fight 2:
    Not much of a standard console RPG fan anymore, but I'll go with Zelda's "Overworld" track as it epitomizes game music almost to the same degree as "Above Ground BGM" from the original Super Mario Bros. game.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Okami and Zelda

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Existence View Post
    Fight 1:
    Guile's Stage Theme

Fight 2:
    Clash on the Big Bridge

On a forgotten page of eternity
    There lies a land embraced by mighty gods.
    Her name... Eorzea.

Street Fighter II – Guile's Stage Theme

The Legend of Zelda – Overworld Theme

My votes:

1. Street Figher 2 - Guile's Theme
    Much as I do like Okami's soundtrack, it has to give way to the classicness and cool of one of SF's best tunes.

2. The Legend of Zelda - Overworld
    What can you say about this piece?!! It has a heroic, noble quality that's conveyed entirely by the melody - no fancy orchestrations requied! I mean, as a theme it's as memorable as some of John Williams' greats. I believe Willaims admired Koji Kondo's Zelda music and conducted his own arrangement with the Boston Pops Orchestra

A close opening round!
    Guile's Stage Theme eked out the rumble's first victory 6-4 and Zelda's Overworld Theme won 7-3. On to the next two fights.

Round 1

Fight 3

Even if you don’t know this piece by name, you’ve definitely heard it. As Mario graduated onto the next gen of home consoles, Koji Kondo’s sophistication in musical arrangement took the leap with him. Good thing, too, because Kondo wrote surprisingly few tracks for Super Mario World when you come right down to it. In fact, almost all of the stage music is the same theme played in different styles. However, the durability of that theme is proven by the stellar legacy of the game. Across 80+ stages, the music (arguably) does not get stale. Of course, this is a sad tale since Kondo went on to obscurity after this title…

This charming song, played whenever Ness and friends entered a drugstore, showcases the playfulness and simplicity of Earthbound. Though not everyone’s cup of tea, the game is hilariously irreverent towards the normally invisible conventions of RPGs and a blast to play even today—that is, if you can appreciate a well-timed non-sequitur. The series took a darker tone with the third installment in 2006, but the musical fun started here was a inspiration to many of the pieces in that game anyway, and a whole new audience may have been opened up to Earthbound in general and this song’s soundtrack in particular because of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl remixes of several of the game’s tracks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1

Fight 4

Though often-used, the term "epic" feels right when describing Nobuo Uematsu’s theme song for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Fans of “Aria de Mezzo Carattere” from Final Fantasy VI and “One Winged Angel” from Final Fantasy VII will dig into this one, which gets a little more umph than the others with its snare drum tattoo. Also, the male and female vocalists converse with each other beautifully, although the lyrics of the song, when translated from the Latin, give one pause. The song is apparently about a feared and triumphant warrior who roams the lands seeking battle and destroying everything in his path until one day he shows up unexpectedly behind the song’s speaker. Kind of a terrifying image—to turn around and see a bloodthirsty mass murderer coming towards you. Regardless, the song serves as an appropriate opening to a game about beating people up.

This is a tough choice. Paired against Uematsu’s Brawl theme is another piece by Koji Kondo, this one a beloved song from a beloved game—perhaps the most revered in the entire Zelda series. Like so many other songs in the game, Kondo uses the ocarina sound to great effect, hiding the cheesiness of the ocarina patch with a catchy melody and great percussion, a feat he admitted was “a major challenge.” Also notable is that this song is an example of “leitmotif in reverse.” Normally, a leitmotif announces the entrance of a character. Here, however, the leitmotif announces a stationary environment as the player approaches. This became a typical convention of the Zelda aural landscape, and showcased Kondo’s talent at characterizing an entire way of life in a few notes (think of the Goron or Zora themes).

My votes are for Mother 2 (Earthbound) – Buy Something, Will Ya! and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Lost Woods.

Sarah
    super mario world & oot. even though the brawl theme probably has more merit.

bit of a nostalgia whore ;(

Super Mario World – Athletic & The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Lost Woods

Fight 3:

Mother 2 (Earthbound) – Buy Something, Will Ya!, Earthbound was such an amazing game.

Fight 4:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl – Theme, holy crap, I had no idea that Uematsu made this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Super Mario World – Athletic & The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Lost Woods

Super Mario World – Athletic and Super Smash Bros. Brawl – Theme

It's the two Kondos for me
    Super Mario World – Athletic
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Lost Woods

Wonderful descriptions arthurgolden!! I love all these pieces so it was a hard choice. However.. Uematsu's Brawl theme has always seemed a bit odd and 'faux-epic' to me - the choral writing is pretty basic and the japnese inflected latin just sounds cheesy as hell. I still enjoy it though, but Lost Woods definately has to take it. Speaking a little more literally of 'leitmotifs in reverse', listen to the Song of Healing/Clocktower in Majora's Mask: it's the first notes of Lost Woods backwards (befitting the fact that link enters the topsy turvy world of Termina though the woods; and, of course, it is the skull kid who must ultimately be 'healed').

Super Mario World - Athletic and The Legend of Zelda: Oracina of time