Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ok so I gave in...

Ok so I gave in...

Okay so I bought a trial of this game and am patching now.

I just want opinions on which server and which class and race to play as?

I prefer melee classes (If they can heal, awesome) so was considering going Elvaan or Hume.

Any suggestions?

On a forgotten page of eternity
    There lies a land embraced by mighty gods.
    Her name... Eorzea.

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    To be honest, it doesn't really matter which server you play on, as all of them have their share of n99bs, idiots, gilsellers and drama.

So really, if you're not sure which server to play on, find one that you have friends on (as far as I know, most of FF Shrine play on Cerberus, so that might be a good choice for you (I play on Quetzalcoatl though).

As for race and Job combination, a good starting choice for the beginner would probably be a hume Red Mage, as you'll be able to deal fairly decent damage while still be able to heal yourself or use enfeebling spells. It also helps you get a feel for combat without putting yourself in too much danger.

If you want to do really good damage though, then Warrior for any race would be a good choice instead (as Red Mages start to weaken somewhat in the melee stakes very quickly and become more magic based).

If you do take the Warrior path however, as soon as you can, junk the sword they start with and take up the axe (either a single handed axe or a 2 handed great axe), as they will deal more damage with an axe in their hands than any other weapon (as a level 75 Warrior I prefer the great axe myself, but that's more personal preference ).
    enkffxisig-new-small

Okay thanks for the help. None of my friends in irl play because they hate MMOs that require a credit card.

Tbh, the only other pay to play mmorpg I've played to great extent is WoW, so I'll be pretty much embarking on this journey alone.

Also if I choose warrior, would I be better off as Galkan race? I hear they do heaps of melee damage.

Ok so Ive been playing for an hour and realise just how old this game is. I mean I would expect this kind of gameplay and look from a free MMO.

Rofl.

The game is archaic like that, but the content and support are on par. Make friends asap because I don't remember the game as very solo friendly. Good luck.

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrr View Post
    Okay so I bought a trial of this game and am patching now.

I prefer melee classes (If they can heal, awesome) so was considering going Elvaan or Hume.

Any suggestions?
    A) Who pays for a trial and...

2) You can change classes on the fly.

Ok so Ive been playing for an hour and realise just how old this game is. I mean I would expect this kind of gameplay and look from a free MMO.
    It's older than WoW and supports 3 separate platforms that all play together. The look isn't very eye candy-ish but the gameplay is mainly party based. Solo isn't suggested after level 20.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Purrr

Also if I choose warrior, would I be better off as Galkan race? I hear they do heaps of melee damage.
    Yes and no. On paper, galka have the highest HP and defense, making them better at tanking. Their strength is still high, but elvaan actually have the highest strength in the game.

In practice however, even a taru Warrior can be turned into a damage dealing powerhouse with the right equipment (good stat boosting items like rings and belts help a lot). However, Warrior does become more suited to tanking than damage dealing later in the game though, as other, Advanced Jobs outperform it in terms of raw damage (such as Dark Knight and Samurai).

That's not to say Warrior can't be a force on the battlefield. It's just you have to find what works best for you to accomplish that.

You forgot to add where end game WAR becomes a loot whore dual-wielding DPS class due to it's rather annoying ability to wear what is some of the best in slot for many melee classes in addition to loot that is usually WAR-priority.

Yes, there are several really good DPS classes in FFXI, but WAR is just about the only one who's mechanics don't drastically change between the beginning and the end. It's also highly likely you won't be asked to tank post-40 over NIN/WAR. It's not very solo friendly before 75 with 37NIN or 37DNC(then again, what class is besides RDM)but it's a nice beginner's class if you're not yet considering diving deeper into the meat and potatoes of FFXI.

FFXI races really don't matter. Even though a ton of melee players go Elvaan and might swear up and down their extra STR makes all the difference in the world, it doesn't. The Merit system at 75 makes this even more insignificant as many races can enjoy permanent stat bonuses at 75 which will roll over to lvl 1 jobs they may decide to level at a later date. Gear counts for a lot in that game and you will out-DPS any class regardless of racial differences if you do your homework and always wear the best you can, when you can. Go for aesthetics, because FFXI is a very long grind and you really don't want to end up at 75 with a toon that you start to think looks retarded in your hard-earned AF2.

And what is so annoying about WAR being able to wear good gear? Stuff like Koenig and Adaman sets aren't exclusively for PLDs you know.

Seriously though, as a level 75 WAR/MNK I can tank just fine, even without a NIN sub (Yes, I'm a rebel I know, subbing MNK at that level). In fact, I've been in multiple parties where someone makes a smug remark about my choice of sub job and armour (WAR/MNK with full Adaman set and 4th Division Toporok ), then quickly watch the smirk disappear from their face and their jaws hit the ground as I tank most mobs well and still do fair damage.

Okay, I know that was a bit of inflating my e-peen but the point stands. WAR can tank very well (and so they should - originally they were the ONLY tank Job that was in the game in the first place - the stats for WAR AF reflect that), it's just unfortunately overlooked by more 'flashier' job choices like PLD (and incidentally, NIN were never meant to tank - they were supposed to be DD/enfeeblers. Watch how quickly a NIN's HP drops to critical once their shadows go down when tanking and you'll see what I mean).

Plus, the MNK sub gives more HP than any other Job (essential for any tank). Boost is handy for a quick power up for attack, plus it's helpful for hate generation. Dodge is also very handy for tanking, especially if your evasion is low (and it goes well with the WAR's own Aggressor ability, helping to cancel out Aggressor's evasion reduction). In fact, using Aggressor and Focus in a cycle, I have an effective permanent bonus to accuracy, no butt-ugly-O-Hat needed ;p Counter also works very well with great axe, makign up for g axe's higher delay.

I know that with WAR/MNK I can't tank certain high level mobs like HNMs/Sky gods, which, quite frankly, I have no interest in fighting. But for your general, run-of-the-mill monster in a standard setting WAR/MNK performs very well. But that's just my own opinion.

EDIT: I apologize for my rather-long winded rant Neru, as I just re-read your post and found you were agreeing with me more or less. But, my points are relevant still anyway.

Maybe it was just a bad end game experience, but I found my MNK never got his Byakko's Haidate or Kirin's Osode pieces after 2 1/2 years due to a number of WAR/NINs having next priority under NIN and SAM. This, in addition to having Ridill/Hauberk/Haubergeon/Adaman Hauberk practically tailor-made for WAR(Though I know Ridill is a wet dream for most) over any other class is what I never liked about having them in my Linkshells as a primary DPS. Especially when you consider at the time of Zilart/Promathia, both pieces were Best In Slot next to Shura set. Gear versatility is great, but when up against classes without nearly as many options, it makes WAR look like a loot whore. But FFXI was never commended for having fair game mechanics.

I do agree WAR/MNK is beast though. I did it as a Taru just fine and it's funny how many people still don't think it works as well as it does. Though admittedly, WAR was never a main of mine so I only took it to 37, but it was fun.

Ok so maybe this is a better game if I can manage to get some of my friends irl involved. Deleted my content ID and Playonline after two days. Not saying it was a bad game, just saying that I couldn't justify paying for something like that where I was alone for majority of the time.

Awww. I was just about to suggest if you wanted to, I could have gotten you a Gold World Pass to Midgardsormr (my server).

Ah well, if you ever do decide to give it another try, send me a PM and I'll get a Gold World Pass for you if you'd like. At least then, it won't be quite a lonely experience.

Two days? A bit hasty, no?

Yeah I guess it was a bit hasty, and I thank you Enkidoh for your offer, will keep it in mind ^^

...If I were to play again I would probably get the Xbox360 version as my PC has a keylogger atm.

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    lmao, what kind of idiot gets a keylogger?

Actually, the problem is pretty bad with FFXI. Lots of popular FFXI fansites sites like FFXIAH and Vana'diel Atlas (even the FFXI Wikipedia site was hit briefly) have been compromised by keyloggers over the last couple of years, with the purpose of stealing POL account information for RMT. In fact, I know several people in game who have had their FFXI accounts stolen or hijacked through this. Luckily Square Enix managed to get their accounts back but it's the principle of the matter.

So much so, I now make a point of avoiding those sites where at all possible (and if I do have to use them, I view them with Firefox not IE). Luckily Square Enix has also increased account security (such as the software keyboard for password login and that gimmicky 'Security Token' gizmo they're currently selling.) to try and deal with the problem.

Just saw the Vana'Diel collection for $10. Very tempted... :P

Purrr~<3

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Just saw the Vana'Diel collection for $10. Very tempted... :P
    FFXI is still going strong imo that is, as the second scheduled version update this year was just finished the other week (Level cap raised to 85, new Job Abilities etc) and the third and final version update for this year, in a month or two (which will raise the level cap to 99 as well as more new additions (weapons, armor, items etc)).

There's still plenty to do storyline wise, as well as many endgame events etc. Leveling has been made far easier now than it used to be as well, so it's easier for new players to get right into it.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Neg <33333333

Also Death's Head: Yeah I've heard that there's tonnes of content and stuff to do now. But is this still a game where solo = bad / with bros = win?

If so then I'm better off sticking to LOTRO (which I can't stop playing atm).

Is this game also really a case of No Linkshells taking new players?

I can't believe they've stopped the 14 day free trial too, I'm so bummed about this.

Also Death's Head: Yeah I've heard that there's tonnes of content and stuff to do now. But is this still a game where solo = bad / with bros = win?

If so then I'm better off sticking to LOTRO (which I can't stop playing atm).
    Yes and No... Soloing is a lot easier to do as you can get some decent exp, however to really pull in the exp a party is preferred. Some parts of the game do require a full party/alliance of 6-18 to accomplish. Now though, it all depends on how you want to play, whether in a group (which you can find others via the search function who are looking for a exp party) or on your own.

Is this game also really a case of No Linkshells taking new players?
    Where did you hear that? I'm a member of 4 Linkshells are they're screaming for new players/members all the time.

I can't believe they've stopped the 14 day free trial too, I'm so bummed about this.
    I think that was just a short time thing to get people interested, then got rid of it and stuck with the 30 day free trial.

All in all, if you want to give it a shot, with the 30 day free trial, you'll be able to see if you like it or not... after the 30 days, you can the decide whether to continue membership or not. I'm on Quetzecotl Server (as is Enkidoh), so if you're looking for some people you know who play, we'd be able to help you out if you desire.

Okay cool, thanks for the info, will definitely make a decision over the coming week.

Also I saw that on the US site of FFXI the full game works out to $12AUD, however on the EU it's $34AUD.

This is a real noob question, but the US version will work on my PC?

Okay cool, thanks for the info, will definitely make a decision over the coming week.

Also I saw that on the US site of FFXI the full game works out to $12AUD, however on the EU it's $34AUD.

This is a real noob question, but the US version will work on my PC?
    No, it's not a noob question, as I asked it myself to Enkidoh years back (god... that makes me sound old >.<). For PC users, you can choose to pay in either US denominations or Euro's. The Xbox 360 users unfortunately, can't choose as we're stuck with paying in Euro's. As it's cheaper to pay in US denominations, I say go for that payment option.

I have one question to throw in! Can you have multiple characters across different servers?

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I have one question to throw in! Can you have multiple characters across different servers?
    Yes. You can have up to 16 Characters on one account.