Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Disappointing Anime

Escaflowne (is that the right spelling?). Don't get me wrong, I love steampunk mecha as much a the next guy, and the plot was interesting enough, but the ending just pissed me off. I mean, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces Knight View Post
    As many, GANTZ was very dissapointing, but only the ending, i think everything before the ending was very well done, the animation topping it all.
    true, true

Gantz had SO much potential, but the ending just spoiled everything. Compared to this, Neon Genesis Evangelion's ending was conclusive
    I see light to the east...morning is coming
    The most beautiful sunrise ever
    And the sun will continue to rise now and forever...

Season 2 of Haruhi. I enjoyed the first season for the most part (Disclaimer: I'm not a rabid fantard like most "Haruhiists" make themselves seem to be) but this new season is just... ...What the fuck, Kadokawa? Two new episodes and six reruns essentially... >:/

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    You're right about that. I'm shocked there hasn't been more talk about it, being arguably the worst piece of god-awful storytelling in history and all.

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered_Skies View Post
    Gantz had SO much potential, but the ending just spoiled everything. Compared to this, Neon Genesis Evangelion's ending was conclusive
    Well, geez, now I'm actually interested in it.

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered_Skies View Post
    true, true

it seems theres always something studio GONZO fucks up in its anime adaptations.
    the most memorable being HELLSING and gantz.
    however, the only series that i consider perfect as it is, is yukikaze.
    i have not (or think will ever) read the novel (yes, novel, not a manga, a novel) but the animation, the music... everything was extremely superb, surpassing GANTZ in animation. i suggest pisces knight sees this masterpiece.

sure, the animation in gantz was excellent, but yukikaze has better ones, and thats saying something.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dothaxor View Post
    Ooook. I think you should give Ergo Proxy another try tbh. I didnt really get into it myself at the begining, but it picks up after a few episodes. The story gets bit confusing as well, but its not really that hard to follow
    Okay, gave Ergo Proxy another try. I watched the first 2 dvds and I can't go no mo'. It's depressing, boring, and all over the place in terms of story. Plus the show is in desperate need of COLOR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YukidaruPunch View Post
    I often heard good things about Azumanga Daioh, but I couldn't even finish the first episode. For some reason I felt not only sleepy (something common when I'm watching something and not enjoying it), I also was infuriated.

I can't remember for the life of me how in the world an anime got me pissed, but it did. Guess it just wasn't my stuff.

I know what you mean. I had the manga and I thought it was pretty funny but when I saw the anime it all seemed so boring.

Onion Kid
    Elfen lied and Ergo Proxy were straight up disappointing.

Elfenlied started out okey but after the first half of the episode it just made a 180 turn into some kind of haramfest with generic leading characters.
    And at parts where it got stale they would introduce a new girl with a tear-jerking backstory on how she was raped or never got enough hugs.. baawwww.
    There was just so much I didn't like about it, it tried to be something it was not.

And Ergo Proxy.. well I got to be honost, I didn't give it anytime to sink in. I watched the first episode and for me it didn't have anything going on for it self. I found it to be boring, bland, slowpased without any mystery.

just my 2 cents

Onion Kid
    Origin: Spirits of the Past
    -An example of no matter how good your animation is, its crap if there are plot holes/unfleshed out characters/uneven pacing. This anime disappointed me very much. To me it felt like it was trying to be like Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke and just failed.

Sousei no Aquarion - episode 1 sucked me in with its immersive CG and animation...and yet by the last episode I felt it was too cliche how it ended...it just didn't feel right. I didn't see the second season so I don't know if things get better.

Quote Originally Posted by sarkazein View Post
    Escaflowne (is that the right spelling?). Don't get me wrong, I love steampunk mecha as much a the next guy, and the plot was interesting enough, but the ending just pissed me off. I mean, really?
    Escaflowne was decent, but the way it ended left a bad taste in my mouth...don't understand why Escaflowne ended with Newton talking like that or w/e...so confusing.

On that note, Record of Lodoss War...how can they change Woodchuck like that. It makes me so mad. Ending felt unsatisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Acceld View Post
    Tokko. This ocular diarrhea was made by the guy behind GTO. Only 13 episodes and lot of unresolved issues.
    Ocular diarrhea...haha yeah well it is pretty gritty at many parts and I guess there were some awkward frames...I was so engrossed with TOKKO, and then the way it ended...ugh! If you go to the wikipedia entry for it, it tries to make some clarity but not good enough:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Sometimes I wonder if "disappointing" is a relative term? To me (or people like me) here in the USA we think some anime is disappointing cuz we don't get a satisfying conclusion or fleshed out characters or unnecessary filler, but I wonder if, to the Japanese audience they appreciate it 'cuz it leads to open interpretation in their mind as to what could happen next or alternate outcomes, or what could become of someone/something? I don't know I'm just speculating...anyways though I'm in agreement with many of you on this thread that I don't like certain animes cuz they feel unfulfilled or think/feel it could have ended better...just disappointing cus there seemed to be potential...

I hate Shaman King manga for having "happy" ending when it was clearly better with multiple endings or no ending.

Code Geass could have been show much instead of a barely coherent plot with a super genius anti hero who happens to be a bishonen and basically achieves world peace in the most convoluted way possible complete with fanservice.
    Guernsey Adams Pierre

Want video game soundtacks? Go this site here: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Come and see my MySpace: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Watch my YouTube Videos: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I can never do NUTHING!!! Vastalis's Avatar
    Prince Of Tennis, Inuyasha, Evangelion, Pokemon, and the Transformers Anime!
    As for Escaflowne, I thought it was well done! Aside from a very few anime that have come out after the 80's early 90's, I rather liked it!
    Who has the best record in Baseball? The Dodgers!!!
    Henry Rollins

A Real American Hero!

Here's a cool Flash movie about the Aztec God [Hidden link. Register to see links.]!

Onion Kid
    Tsukihime. The anime is very bad compare to the Visual Novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    I hate Shaman King manga for having "happy" ending when it was clearly better with multiple endings or no ending.

Code Geass could have been show much instead of a barely coherent plot with a super genius anti hero who happens to be a bishonen and basically achieves world peace in the most convoluted way possible complete with fanservice.
    shaman king doesnt have an ending in the manga

Final Fantasy Unlimited was disappointing. It's always "bad guy shows up, mysterious person summons something from his stupid gun".

And a reply to the post above. Shaman King already has an ending, you should check it out.

Onion Kid
    Magikano. The ending annoyed me beyond words.

Quote Originally Posted by gk2012 View Post
    Final Fantasy Unlimited was disappointing. It's always "bad guy shows up, mysterious person summons something from his stupid gun".

And a reply to the post above. Shaman King already has an ending, you should check it out.
    my mistake, its just that i bought the original 32 volume edition, because its the only one we got and probably will get.
    however, i still think the anime's ending is better

Gurren Lagaan. I watched it having been promised that it, and I quote, "is better than Cowboy Bebop," and came out of the experience utterly disgusted. Far and away the dumbest fucking show I have ever seen, period.

Knight who says NI!!! the mutant dude's Avatar
    Ninja Ressurection - the opening action was so promising, but the rest..? Just complete and utter.... words cannot describe how bad...

I guess it served me right for being young & stupid & thinking it would be anything like Ninja Scroll.
    the mutant dude

"Yo mama so fat, Jabba the Hutt said DAAAAHHMM!" - Robot Chicken: Starwars special

way too many... of course this thread title practically screams "dragonball z"... i just don't get why a crappy anime can be so damn popular. they're repeating the same frames(whether it be fighting or powering up) for 10 episodes with minimal progression in their "battles". it's just a waste of time.

tenjou tenge was also disappointing for me. it's also one of the most popular anime in north america according to sales but it sucks.. it started out well in the first 10 episodes but then they lost it and it doesn't even have an ending.

Hunter x Hunter is pure garbage... seriously, I can't believe they put out this shit after YuYu Hakusho, which is an all-time classic fighting anime.

Someone just mentioned FF:Unlimited. I have to agree.. that anime is practically unwatchable.. I think I made it to episode 7 or so and I regret not quitting after the first ep.

Naruto is also extremely overrated/disappointing. The manga was overhyped as it was but the anime is inferior to the manga...

The list can be endless.. I always have to do research before watching a new series these days because of how low the standards for anime have been in recent years. The best anime series I ever watched all came from the 80's and 90's, with few coming post 2000. You would think the animation would improve greatly from the 80's but it's not true.. even now in 2009 we have anime with inconsistent art style and animation inferior to that of the mid 90's, and the general direction/execution in some of these recent anime are downright horrible. They can really kill a good story from a great manga.

aka. megalomania >=D

Escaflowne.

I loved the anime so much.

Just hated one character that ruined it all for me.

I don't care if Alucard from Hellsing is not angsty like his other vampire contemporaries, he is an arrogant overpowered prick who seems to have this odd obsession with who is a human or who is not. So what if he can summon legions of undead, torture people to death and has a really powerful gun? That doesn't make him badass at all, he is an annoying character and the original anime sucked.

While the nanoha series (specifically A's) may be entertaining on some level, it is difficult for me to grasp that nanoha was 9 when she started yet has a mature outlook on life. I hate that she has that notorius "befriending" trope via blast them and I will make them my friends also she is known as the White Devil because of this trope. The characters are so ridiculously flat that I don't know if they actually grow at all, even if nanoha is a break from traditional--no, it is not even a magical girl show, it is a Super Robot War references with magical girls mixed in. It subverts some tropes but it plays them straight most of the time. She comes from a family of basically ninja in the Triangle Hearts game also she (and the rest of cast) are ridculously overpowered that the bad guys (if there is any "real" villains) are cannon fodder for heroines. Even Sakura form Cardcaptors is a little realistic, I am very annoyed at this show.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

The Idea is a great and original one but the story never develops anywhere and doesn't do anything original with the characters , the show just kinda goes "we have a crazy situation which gives us a reason to do all the standard anime hi jinx"

I really wanted to enjoy it too

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    <3 Guys, take note of this. Tom knows how to talk to the ladies. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo77 View Post
    I think Neg disqualified jesus and love though.

Easy for me.

Darker than black.

When I heard from the makers of wolf's rain I just jumped at watching this anime but than it ends up being average as hell and the end of the anime comes out of nowhere and seemed thrown in at the last second and not to mention the main character suppose to be an assassin but he seems to give in to his heart every freaking episode that its boring.

Heck my brother is darker than this anime.

Average and boring.

Eden of the East, if you haven't seen it check it out. I'd go so far as to say it's still worth a watch. The concept is really intriguing, and it starts off a story that has phenomenal potential.

Unfortunately I ended up un-impressed, specifically the last episode, whether it's a cliff hanger or not was "meh" at best. 11 Episodes was simply not enough to accomplish what the series should have been.