Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What did you like most about FFXII?

Indulgence~I do what I want, you got problem?! Hotspot's Avatar
    I like the customization the best, I like that any character can be just about anything you want, they can have any spell and any weapon. I really like that, I love customization.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]| [Hidden link. Register to see links.]| [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Onion Kid
    some boss fights
    autoleveling (seriously lol)
    the bestiary
    some towns

I wasn't going to Necro this thread until I saw this...

Quote Originally Posted by Earnest View Post
    Its story is a little flat and its lacking a much needed romance, but it has its moments. There is potential in the story, but due to there being fewer cutscenes than other games, its never tapped into.

It probably works for gamers who arent that into cutscenes/romances and just story in general. Ie. the mainstream gamer. As most of us arent that kind of gamer though, its a shame.
    Why the game would need much more drama and pointless love stories that don't make sense one bit that the series has been so infamous about?

This is the reason people don't like story of FFXII apparently, they need that stupid fanservice Cecil/Rosa, Terra/whatever, Celes/Locke, Cloud/Aeris, Cloud/Tifa, Squall/Rinoa, Zidane/Garnet.

Yeah, it kinda worked for some characters on IV, VI and VII...
    But seriously having no bland stupid and distracting romance on this FF was a nice breathtaking.
    V for Valhalla

Grand Shriner
    Well, the story of FF12 takes a very unusual slant, in that it goes for a level of political and diplomatic realism that is very easy to get lost in. Usually in these things, its your party versus the Evil Empire. But in this game, Archadia actually isn't a very evil empire at all, and most of them are surprisingly pretty decent people. They certainly come across as being no more or less evil than Rozarria (who it is implied by Al-Cid himself, would be doing exactly the same thing as Archadia, if they had the chance). The game explores how difficult it is to go to war, because of the need to consider how it looks to outsiders, and whether people will support you if you try to do that etc etc. This is a level of complexity that you don't usually get, because the bad guys in these games are usually really, really evil and don't care what people think.

Vayne eventually gets there, but only towards the end of the game, when he feels he has the power (from the stones, Bahamut etc) to be openly warlike. Until then, he has to spend most of the game maneuvering to stop Dalmasca negotiating their way out of being invaded, to get rid of his ailing father, the meddling senate etc etc. Same with Ashe - she has to spend most of the game, trying to convince people like Basch, Vossler, Balthier and Ondore etc that they should be fighting, rather than suing for peace or backing away. There are so many problems associated with this (because most don't think they can win, don't think that the people would support it, or even that diplomacy might be the better option).

Which is all very interesting, but it does leave the player thinking 'So... what *are* we going to do, then?' The ins and outs of who is offering what kind of deal to whom, whether they are genuine about it and whether or not it would be a good idea to accept it even if it turns out to be legit, all becomes very difficult to follow. And through all of this political wrangling, very little of traditionally Final Fantasy 'Epic, sweeping action, Good Guys versus Bad Guys etc', is happening. Leading many to hurl the accusation that 'Nothing Happens in this Game'.

Which is untrue, but also is kind of true, at the same time...

We've said it plenty of times, but it bears mentioning again, that this game obviously suffers from the withdrawl of its original writer. Without him guiding the story to its natural conclusion, many of the elements that are so meticulously plotted and set up in the first half, never really get paid off. The second half of the game sees the villains (and many important NPCs) almost disappear from the story completely until the very end, whereas various locations and story threads are mentioned as being important, yet barely (if ever) feature. And by the time you're walking around in a giant crystal meeting some very evil Godlike beings who give you yet another useless sword, you start to think 'This game's lost the plot, big time...'

So I don't think its the lack of a proper romance plot, that lost people. I think the blame is in the most obvious place - namely that you can't just change writers halfway through a project and expect the end result to make much sense. Especially not when the story was as ambitious as FF12's was.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 12-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.

The battle system. Best in the series, no debating.
    Sorry Player, I'm Noriega crossed with Schwarzenegger
    The orphan maker, orchestrate your fate in a torture chamber

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    And by the time you're walking around in a giant crystal meeting some very evil Godlike beings who give you yet another useless sword, you start to think 'This game's lost the plot, big time...'
    I would be fucking amused if someone comes to me and tells me that they haven't digged the whole Sword of Plot Advancement considering how many other ridiculous things did the series before this.
    Yeah, I admit that I was kinda dissapointed and a little pissed off with the presentation of the Treaty Blade. But I enjoyed the speech given by the Occuria before all that. And the inclusion of the Sun-Cryst was a nice touch I have to say to finish the Deconstruction of the Magical Crystal type of storyline.
    Plus, at that point I was paying attention who was manipulating who rather what were the actions and discovery's of the main party.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    So I don't think its the lack of a proper romance plot, that lost people. I think the blame is in the most obvious place - namely that you can't just change writers halfway through a project and expect the end result to make much sense. Especially not when the story was as ambitious as FF12's was.
    You may think that, and while you say is true and I agree throughly...
    The exclusion of a Fanservice love story in a Final Fantasy game simply doesn't help the fact that many players got really pretentious regarding the storytelling of these games. If they don't get heavily emotional Drama they don't see it as a good.
    And I'm still amazed about how little credit they give to the storyline of this game.

Grand Shriner
    But is it that disastrous to the romance fans in the long run? Because they'll have had their pet pairings that they wanted to see, and you know how these things go - regardless of evidence to the contrary, they would believe in their head canon romance, write about it, insist there is evidence for it etc etc anyway. With no definite romance established, and lots of 'Well, maybe...' hooks on several character pairings, I'd have thought this would be okay with them.

Romance is a hard thing to do, if you aren't going to allow people to influence the outcome, and who ends up with whom. If you do it that way, you win legions of (dangerously obsessed) fans. If you don't, then you run the inevitable risk of alienating people who don't approve of certain romances etc. I was relieved to not have it getting in the way for once tbh. And again, I think the story would win higher honors if the writer had stayed on and finished the job. Its unfortunate in the extreme that he had to quit, but I guess these things happen.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 12-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Onion Kid
    The music and the graphics were amazing in this game! However i didn't favour the story much which is a shame. Oh well i guess i'll have to wait for versus a little longer!

Kind of hard to decide

Loved the storyline, environment and the music.

I would say the environment, it was breathtaking.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    YouTube Page: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Can anyone explain to me about the landscapes and walking? is the game always so openly explorable?

It looks pretty open ended world.

Also:Talk to me about basch or whatever his name is.
    I keep hearing bad things about the characters in this game.

I want to know about vaan and um penelope and the bad guy.
    What makes them well developed? what makes the characters not developed?

What do you love about the story?
    What do you hate about the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    Can anyone explain to me about the landscapes and walking? is the game always so openly explorable?

It looks pretty open ended world.

Also:Talk to me about basch or whatever his name is.
    I keep hearing bad things about the characters in this game.

I want to know about vaan and um penelope and the bad guy.
    What makes them well developed? what makes the characters not developed?

What do you love about the story?
    What do you hate about the story?
    If you played a MMORPG, such as World of Warcraft, you know how huge that is right? Well this game can be compared to that as well in terms of exploration and world size imo. Even the first town Rabanastre is fricken huge *-*!

The world map, dungeons and towns are all huge and have many areas within them to explore.

Basch imo is the best character in the entire game, his story starts out slow cause he joins later in the game, but what happens with him intensifies the storyline (since his brother plays a major role in the game as well).

Vaan is like Tidus (if you played FFX you will know what I mean).
    Penelo is like Rikku from FFX

Fran is a popular silent character kinda like the mixture of kimhari and Lulu from FFX.

Ashe is like Yuna

Balthier is a pretty cool guy similar to Wakka.

The bad guy imo isnt as popular as old villains from the FF series, but he pretty much lived up to being a villain in the game.

What I love about the story is its based upon War heavily similar to FFTactics, the storyline is dark but it has a innocent side to the storyline due to the inclusion of Vaan and Penelo.

You might find exploring tedious because its huge unless your one of those people who love big games and exploration. There is a bit of a grinding too much because the game's battle system is similar to a MMORPG like WoW but not as tedious. Cant say I hate much about the story, the characters developed pretty well.

I would give the game a 9/10

+Amazing Storyline
    +Huge World to Explore
    +Unique battle system to the FF Series
    +Good Character Development
    +Incredible music

-The FF game with the most grinding next to FFV
    -Summon System isnt as dynamic as the older games
    -Gambit system may be a bit confusing at first

Grand Shriner
    I would give the game a 9/10

+Amazing Storyline
    +Huge World to Explore
    +Unique battle system to the FF Series
    +Good Character Development
    +Incredible music

-The FF game with the most grinding next to FFV
    -Summon System isnt as dynamic as the older games
    -Gambit system may be a bit confusing at first[/QUOTE]

Thank you,this is exactly the info i wanted.

I am trying to convince myself to play this game,but its a tough choice.

I've always been a final fantasy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post

Thank you,this is exactly the info i wanted.

I am trying to convince myself to play this game,but its a tough choice.

I've always been a final fantasy fan.
    Play the game now! Its really good, trust me. You wont regret it.

I liked the creatures, and the new setup.

I LOVE the music! When it comes to actually important stuff, the game is okay. Most of the time you just run around and...run around as the the game does much of the battling for you with the gambit system. Now that's good for me as I get bored easilly just pressing x in a battle(like in X-2 and XIII, but XIII's okay as the graphics and battling is eyecatching to me). But it is a good game. As for story, I'm too dumb apparently to really grasp its meaning and mood and feelings, nut that's okay too. Overall, I say it's at least worth trying.

Grand Shriner The Anti-Existence's Avatar
    I hate when people try to say the Occuria came out of nowhere. "Gods" were mentioned pretty frequently long before you head to Giruvegan and the thing you're after is called Deifacted Nethicite ie. hod-made Nethicite. The fact you run into the beings who made the single biggest plot device in the game is...unsurprising.

FFXII is awesome. What do I like most about it? That's a toughy. I adore the music, the villains, the overall story and its themes...

But I guess I'd have to say what I love most about the gme is how it immerses me more than any other FF game ever has. In Final Fantasy XII I can literally spend hours just wandering around and exploring. The beautiful locations and the battle system make it feel like I'm truly on a grand adventure through fantastic lands.

The game is just sheer addiction.
    If you think posting racial slurs on the Internet is morally reprehensible, you should've seen the whipping I gave my negro this morning.

The world map for sure. It's by far one of the best and biggest worlds of the FF franchise and it's amazing. Totally love it, my only criticism was that it wasn't a globe, so you couldn’t run all the way round it like in previous FF's. I also didn't like that it was only a piece of a world, I do prefer seeing the whole world. It is the best part for me though, second would be the gameplay which I also enjoyed immensely, great sidequests, great battle system, the levelling system could use some work, but the world is the best thing about it for sure. It really felt epic.

Xx..xX

The music, even though Nobuo Uematsu did not do the music for it, I think it is one of the best in the series.

I loved the battle system, the gambit system was unique and interesting, it had it's problems, but what battle system doesn't?
    I like the story, it strayed away from the mainstream "teen emo boy saves world" instead the story takes place in a more political, country vs country setting. The main character was not the all powerful character this time and I liked that.

The setting was also amazing, I love Ivalice, the towns, countries, and overall landscape was immense and interesting,

The side quests and mini games were also fun and enjoyable too.

And lastly, the thing that I liked the most was it is so much fun to play and has incredible replay value.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"

Onion Kid
    I loved the music, and still have most of the files in my MP3 player. Pretty unsurprising I guess, Uematsu's a genius.

I also loved the semi-realtime fighting in the open world roaming, reminded me of my online game days. The depth of lore and design put into all the worlds, and the monsters was also amazing (though it felt odd how a beginner-level item such as an 'iron knife' looked like something special and magical already).

I really liked the story too - it was full of political intrigue and did not have yet another 'obligatory' romance scene complete with smooches. In the end, I was left questioning how 'evil' the bad guys really were. Not in the sense of bad storytelling, but more in the sense that I won't ever get the full impact and motivations that spurred their actions (as well as how truly selfish or noble their goals were, as opposed to the Occurians that were trying to manipulate Ashe), which more or less left me with a sense of wonder.

I'm a bit disappointed that Basch wasn't the main character as the initial storyline wanted him to be, though. Seems like it would have had alot of potential, but then again, he did spend all his time languishing in imprisonment until Vaan found him.

Quote Originally Posted by mojomunkeez View Post
    I loved the music, and still have most of the files in my MP3 player. Pretty unsurprising I guess, Uematsu's a genius.
    It wasn't Uematsu who did the music for XII it was Hitoshi Sakimoto

It's good to see some love for XII sometimes

EDIT: Yeah, the music was by Maestro Hitoshi Sakimoto, who did FFT, Vagrant Story, Valkyria Chronicles, Tactics Ogre, etc.

i think one of the best things about the game has to be the character design. because it's fashionable, and fashion is all i care. though I think vaan must feel quite bad wearing that metal vest.. especially when running in the deserts and snowy mountains

next thing should be the story, focusing more on the world than the characters sure gives the game more depth... (but sorry xiii, you went too deep i got proper lost)

gameplay gameplay, i like to overpower my fiends but i hate the troubles of leveling up.. gambit system is just what i need! and no more wastin time on battle starting scenes! yay!

the art concept is so awesome. i almost wanted to buy a property in rabanastre..

music is also great, but unfortunately there wasnt anything that stab right into my heart(like liberi fatali)

still for me it is a 9.5/10 game, if not 10/10.
    Last edited by protected; 10-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Grand Shriner
    In a nutshell, I like everything about Final Fantasy XII. I don't see how or why you came to the conclusion of using words like grungy or star wars to describe, when its one of the most polished games on the entirety of the PS2. Anyways breaking it down.

Many people are split between liking or hating the story, but here's why I'm infatuated with it. The plot, above all, is about resistant groups and neighboring countries joining arms to fight off a power-hungry tyrant leading a super-power state. Engaging political points asside, the absolute best part of the story is that there is no real main character among the main protagonists, and most, most, most importantly, there's no melodramitc love quarrels going on between party members in the story. I also love the lack of emo characters. No feels-sorry-for-themselves protagonists like Cloud or Squall and no annoying, ditzy, naive, crappy, sappy, and childish love interests like Rinoa, Garnet, Aerith, Rose, Yuna, Serrah, etc... The FF12 story paints a wonderful picture of political resistance and all-out war. The entire plot starts of slow, but the buildup is highly suspensful and the near-end practically explodes in a huge, wonderful mess of the most memorable scenes in all of FF.

Character design is the most enchanting and charismatic in all of FF. Not surprising from a FF game based in Ivalice, a re-occuring world in the FF series, that FF12 fits within the history and lore of Vagrant Story and the Tactics games before it. Moogles are at their most-adorable in this game and often serves USEFUL purposes throughout the world of Ivalice and play ;arge roles in all of Ivalice (not the story) that makes the world go round. Main cast. the focus of the game is also top-notch. How can you not admire Young Larsa's strive for world peace and Basche+Gabranth's devotion to their knightly duties? How do you not fall in love with Balthier charming arrogance or Fran's heavenly mystique? Or Ashe's unwavering determination or Vaan's unyeilding supportive role?

Graphics are obviously some of the best on PS2, the best of any FF before it. Character animations the most complex and capable on the system. Loading times are fast, lighting effects are stellar. menu and other UI are clean. Colors are vivid, and environments are expansive. Not to metion a whole mess of other things I'm forgetting to mention. the graphical detail in enviroments is also something to admire as insanely varied from location to location throughout all of Ivalice. The expansive deserts, although boring to people who hate the deserts offer an elgant beauty in it's subtle realism the entire landscape of Ivalice portrays. Not to mention theres a magnificent complicate web of inter-connecting maps and areas that make the sheer scope of the game as large as any MMORPG, and many more games released even to this date. Theres no game on the PS2 and only a limited amounts of game on the current gen that offer the same around of land-content that you can travel, and even less that are all inter-connected like a REAL world. The story may be as linear as any FF before and after it, but the rest of the world is as free as free can get. Lets not forget to mention that landscapes and enemies CHANGE based on fake-wet and dry seasons making some events only possible at specific times. Its dynamic, its beautiful, its genius.

And OMG Francine, the sound, omg the sound. Final Fantasy definitely has one of the strongest soundtracks in the entire series. All the sound effects are clear and crisp. Things like menu switches, confirmations, cancels; they all feel satisfying each time they're heard. enemy and other ambient sounds are pleasant and extremely life-like. And not to be forgotten of course is the strong and professional work of the voice cast. Though not my favorite actors in the world, they all play their parts, and play their parts perfectly. They don't sound like fakes who are only there for the paychects. You can tell that all the voice actors are totally invested in their work and character. They don't read lines, they act and play them. Theres tones of passion, sorrow, fatigue, anger, enthusiasm, curiosity, and all sorts of emotions in the dialogue. With the exception of Kytes, which thankfully has only one voiced scene, everyone in the sound booth is as professional as any Pixar movie, and all that praise for the voice work is not even mentioning the very appropriate, and very charming use of distinct accents throughout the entire game. Any "gamer" who doesn't love expertly-performed dialogue of Ye olde English, obviously doesn't appreciate the finer workings of what voice casting ought to be an a production.

Of course, you can't ignore the perfectly streamlined gameplay that is the gambit-assisted free-world ATB battle system. You claim its like Kingdom Hearts, you're a fool. Thats like claiming Mario is like Kingdom Hearts because you have full control over Mario's X, Y, and occasionally Z locations. The single greatest thing about FF12 gameplay is how battles ARENT broken up into random battles, and they don't disrupt your pacing. Everything is streamlined as far as battling goes, and its a huge plus that enemies don't disrupt the epic soundtrack. Not to mentions that you MUST admire subtle touches to the engine that makes the entire game feel like a living, breathing world that will continue to go on, even if you're not playing. Its subtle and beautiful, that without your influence at all, you can watch a T-Rex randomly eat a weaker enemy just-because, and then that Rex gets exponentially stronger because it has just fed. Name another FF where enemies feed on other enemies when you;re not around. And equally enchanting when neutral-type enemies will randomy heal and buff each other, sometimes even helping you out as well.

Unfortunately I'm only about 20% done with writing my opinions on FF12, and I didn't even mention a third of the gamely, details on Ivalice Lore, all the races, the other half of the sound, details on polygon animation and textures, uniqueness and ambition it has that separates itself from all other FF's, the villians and their performances, details on the Rozarian Empire and Ondore, or Raithwalls towering influence. Didn't even get to touch about the dozens of subtle animations and dialogues, licensees, sidequests, intriguing mark-hunt system and the lengths you go through to hunt things, ship names, eidolons, magicites and their impact on FF as well as nethicites and all their terms, looting, ranks, points, secrets, awards, achievements, easter eggs.

Its just its 5am and my passion in writing kinda burned so I'm mostly unfinished in the greatness of XII. Its my all-time favorite FF and the 2nd game in my fave list to take over OCarina of Time. I'm also a little upset to the shockingly inaccurate terms and comparisons you used to describe 12, especially of how inaccurate and insulting they all are. Thats like comparring Mass Effect to Call of Duty because there are guns in both of them. Unfortunately IGN's 4-page review doesn't even scratch the surface so linking to it is pointless. FF12 is so un-noticingly great that theres not a review anyone can write thats enough to thoroughly describe it. Its a game that gets more enjoyable the more you understand and beat it. I've been playing for 6 years, with thousands of hours, and I still find something subtle/new to me in the game even after all this time. If PS3 did the details of FF12 in HD, it would turn into a black hole.

I think I like the battle system the most, but the muisc is excellent too, I also like it.

I really like how much content there is. It's a long game that's actually challenging and there are SO MANY fun side quests to partake in. I also really like the atmosphere of the game. Every area is inventive and unique.