Page 1 of 66 12345671151 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical by Request

Grand Shriner

Classical by Request

I have 500GB and 100 cds of classical music mainly from early 20th century composers, but that barely scratches the surface of what's out there.

What I have: Near complete collections of Mahler, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, Ravel, Bartok, Webern, Dvorak, Penderecki, Copland, and lots of other huge orchestral works.

What I don't have: Chamber works, anything pre-Beethoven (some exceptions, but not many), but request them anyway because hey, you might get lucky

What I'm looking for: symphonies by Rautavaara, Myaskovsky, Havergal Brian, Malcolm Arnold, Popov, etc.

For those of you with access to a university/college library, those cds aren't doing them any good gathering dust on the shelves, so get plundering!

Edit:
    Here's everything posted by me thus far. If anyone else wants their links posted here, let me know.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Sibelius's Symphony No. 5
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Shosty's The Fall of Berlin and The Unforgettable Year 1919 Suite
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - the classical pieces James Horner ripped off for Willow
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Prokofiev's October Revolution Cantata - GET THIS NOW!!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Mahler's Symphony No. 5
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Prokofiev's Ivan the Terrible film score suite
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Schnittke's Concerto Grosso No. 1 - GET THIS TOO!!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - The complete Hanson symphonies and some orchestral works
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Proof there is a Jesus! Kabalevsky's Requiem and Fourth Symphony

Please let me know about any dead links or if you have any requests for 19th-20th century classical music/composers.

Grand Shriner
    thanks! anything by Tchaikovsky?

I have all of Hanson's symphonies, and Rautavaara's 7th and 8th, plus a few other works (Angels and Visitations, Piano Concerti, etc.) I have Arnold's 1st and 2nd Symphonies.

I have Havergal Brian - DEFINITELY sure about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 16th, 17th, 31st, 32nd. Think I have the 10th somewhere. Not sure about the rest - they might be on other hard disks. Also have numerous other Brian pieces.

The bootleg LP of the Gothic is amazing (the famous Aries recording.)

Matey, you have EXCELLENT taste, and I can just tell that this is going to become my favourite thread...

Grand Shriner
    Symphonies, Serenade for Strings, Manfred, The Snow Maiden, Piano Concertos 1 and 2, Concert Fantasie... but it's not like I'm going to post ALL of them right now. You have to be specific.

Believe it or not, I don't have a decent version of The Nutcracker (terrible orchestra) or Swan Lake (artifacts in compression), though I could post them if someone wanted them disparately enough. If someone has a good recording of the two, I'd appreciate him posting them instead. I'm also looking for Romeo and Juliet, tone poems, Queen of Spades, etc.

Grand Shriner
    Awesome!

I have The Gothic too, obviously , it's the only thing I have by him. But how are the rest?

NOT a great deal like the Gothic!

Some of the later symphonies are very, very brutal. Not just in their tone, but in their construction. Some of them are less than ten minutes long - fragmentary, almost annoyed pieces. Like Brian was writing it down and thought, "Aw, I've had enough of that!" and suddenly there's a new theme or just a big, unexpected orchestral howl of aggression, then it's the end. It's fascinating stuff.

The 4th is a lot like the Gothic - it's choral, again, but with (slightly) smaller forces.

My own favourite is the 3rd - it started off as a concerto for two pianos, so in its final symphonic form, it retains very prominent parts for pianos. The scoring is absolutely magificent. The third movement is Brian chanelling Strauss - a lovely lilting waltz. The whole symphony lurches around from dissonant terror, MASSIVE orchestral grandeur (almost religious fervour), pastoral subtlety, vicious percussion, a jovial waltz, and back again - and yet, it ALL fits together so beautifully.

Since that's my favourite, I'll upload that one first, if that's OK...

Grand Shriner
    Yes, please do.

Also, what other unknown choral symphonies do you have? I have Pettersson's 12th, Myaskovsky's 6th, Scriabin's 1st, and Hamerik's 7th (along with his amazing Requiem.) Still looking out for Holst's Choral-Symphony and I hope it's better than The Cloud Messenger.

Grand Shriner
    Thank you so much for the Scythian and Quest.

My contribution of a lesser known romantic composer -

Joly Braga Santos
    Symphony 4 & Symphonic Variations on a popular song from the Alentejo

Joly Braga Santos was born in Lisbon in 1924 and died there in 1988, at the height of his musical creativity. Although he composed only six symphonies, he was undoubtedly the leading Portuguese symphonist of the century and, in a way, of all time. Apart from an innate sense for good orchestration, his musical language is based on a strong sense of musical architecture as well as drama, with long melodic lines and a natural instinct for structural development as well as formal coherence. In his own words, he wanted to contribute "toward a Latin symphonism and to react against the predominant tendency, of the generation that preceded me, to reject monumentalism in music".
    - Excerpt from Naxos

Enjoy this romantic and lush album.

C

"No Surrender, No Retreat" Shiryu's Avatar
    Did not expect to find a classical composer from Lisbon Portugal here. Thanks for the upload, Cristobalito. v ^_^
    "No Surrender, No Retreat."

<=[ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] -|- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] -|- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] -|- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] -|- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] -|- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] -|- [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ]=>

Cristobalito2007, that is a truly gorgeous symphony - thank you!

Streich: I forgot - I have Kabelevsky's 4th, (not the third - sorry) and some Myaskovsky symphonies also. Will give more info later.

Grand Shriner
    You're very welcome friends. I'll upload another Bragos Symphony soon. This one is even more melodic and powerful.

Great music, thanks!

Streich, you wrote that in one of your posts :

"Vaughan Williams is a great composer who can write some of the most beautiful pastoral music"

Well, I also adore pastoral music (wonderful Beethoven's 6th symphony), so could you please upload a selection of this music? thanks.

I love classical music. Thanks for ths post.

I just red about Gothic Symphony and... WOW! Huge thing it must be! I never heard of it before but I'm really interested now. So could U upload it?

Grand Shriner
    Yeah, I like those dark symphonies too, please do upload it.

Grand Shriner
    Vaughan Williams - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Symphonies
    No. 1 "A Sea Symphony" - massive choral symphony and awesome
    No. 2 "London" - restored version (Chandos CD) - makes me think of outer space for some reason
    No. 3 "Pastoral" - (Chandos CD)
    No. 4 - Jerry Goldsmith got his Klingon theme from this war-like symphony - (Chandos CD)
    No. 5 - this one should have been called the pastoral
    No. 6 - another war-like symphony like the 4th - (Chandos CD)
    No. 7 "Antarctica" - If you like Scott of the Antarctic, this symphony is based on it
    No. 8 - Vaughan William's most modern symphony, crazy stuff, but not war-like - (Chandos CD)
    No. 9 - a pastoral-like symphony using an orchestra containing some saxophones

My scale of likability from first to last: 5, 2, 1, 7, 4, 6, 9, 3, 8

Orchestral Pieces
    The Lark Ascending - awesome work for solo violin and orchestra
    Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - awesome work for string orchestra
    5 Variants of "Dives and Lazarus" - awesome work for string orchestra
    Norfolk Rhapsodies 1 and 2
    Overture to The Wasps
    Fantasia on Greensleeves
    The Running Set
    3 English Folk Songs - popular piece for band

Choral/Vocal Works
    Dona Nobis Pacem - a powerful oratorio
    Toward the Unknown Region
    Willow-Wood
    The Voice out of the Whirlwind
    The Sons of Light
    Sancta Civitas
    Mass in G minor
    6 Choral Songs
    Nocturne
    Serenade To Music
    Five Mystical Songs
    Flos Campi - a work for chorus, orchestra, and viola solo, reminiscent of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe

Operas
    The Pilgrim's Progress - The basis for Symphony No. 5

Ballet
    Job: A Masque for Dancing

Concertos
    Piano Concerto
    Oboe Concerto
    Violin Concerto - don't have this
    Suite for Viola and Small Orchestra - don't have this
    Bass Tuba Concerto - don't have this

Chamber Works
    Phantasy Quintet
    String Quartet No. 1
    String Quartet No. 2
    Six Studies in English Folk Song - I played this in uni on clarinet, themes taken from various works like Norfolk Rhapsody and film scores

Film Scores
    Film Music Vol. 1 (Scott of the Antarctic, Coastal Command Suite, The People's Land) (Chandos CD)
    Film Music Vol. 2 - don't have
    Film Music Vol. 3 - don't have

What I'm looking for
    -anything I don't have, especially choral works

Here are symphonies 5 and 9: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

That's a LOT of music. As I don't know very well this composer, I trust your taste (wich I know is excellent ). Could you please select some of his works you find most interesting, especially if pastoral.

Also, a pastoral-like symphony with sax seems highly worth listening.

edit: oops, I didn't notice the link at the bottom. Thanks a lot!

And I need more Braga Santos! Beautiful music, just beautiful! So I am waiting. Thanks mate!

Shriner
    what do you have from philip glass?

Grand Shriner
    Kundun
    Cello Concerto
    Concerto for two Timpanists and Orchestra (good piece)
    Itaipu, The Canyon
    Violin Concerto (good piece)
    Dance from Akhnaten

I'm going to upload some more Vaughan Williams next, and then the version of Brian's Gothic Symphony found [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    As requested -

Joly BRAGA SANTOS (1924-1988)
    Symphony No. 2 (1947)

# Largo - Allegro energico ed appassionato - 14:53
    # Adagio non troppo - 12:19
    # Allegretto pastorale - 6:08
    # Lento, Allegro, Epilogo (Lento) - 15:19

Grand Shriner
    Here are some of Vaughan Williams's most beautiful non-symphonic orchestral works:

The Lark Ascending
    Fantasia on Greensleeves
    Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
    5 Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"
    Oboe Concerto

Let me know if the quality is okay.

Greatly appreciate, thanks.

(more comments after listening)

By the way, what do you mean by "non-symphonic orchestral"? That it's played by a smaller orchestra?

Grand Shriner
    If I rip the Gothic Symphony, how would people prefer it: as individual mp3s or a large image file with cue sheet? The mp3s would be smaller, but the breaks in between tracks would be noticeable when you play them (CD1 is 25 tracks, CD2 is 21.)

Grand Shriner
    i am very sorry

do you have vaughan williams films scores ?