Page 8 of 879 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

Cristobalito2007, just listened to Richard Jacques' Pursuit Force.

FABULOUS SCORE ! Jacques is truly one of the best game composers on the market. This score rivals with Headhunter in terms of beauty and power, and is more action-oriented than the latter (well, with "pursuit" in the title no wonder why... ). Thanks a lot.

I'm preparing a selection of hard beat-orchestra cues. Will be uploaded tonight.

Deleted
    Thank you my friend. Can't wait for your selection of 'hard beat-orchestra' cues.
    Now here is another little gem for you and the readers of this thread.
    Its a departure from the 'hard beat-orchestra' cues for a moment. Its for your original 'big orchestral' game music search.

The gorgeous music for this RPG game. It references Stravinsky and Ravel, as well as Rodrigo and Villa-Lobos. Listen to the wonderful string work in the Overture for example.

Rygar - Legendary Adventure Symphonic Poem (aka - Symphonic Poem Argos no Senshi)
    Composed by - Hiroaki Takahashi & Takayasu Sodeoka
    Performed by - Moscow International Symphonic Orchestra

All these tracks are performed by the Moscow International Symphonic Orchestra, conducted by Konstantin D. Krimets.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Enjoy!

I've already learned a lot about good action music thanks to this thread.

Some other great orchestral music I like. My file contains a few tracks of the following. Not all tracks are massive action but good cues nonetheless thanks to the great use of choir.

Outcast
    Original Soundtrack by Lennie Moore
    Performed by The Moscow Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
    Recorded at Mosfilm Studios; Moscow

Kameo
    Original Soundtrack by Steve Burke

Ninety Nine Nights
    Original Soundtrack by Pinar Toprack

Hmm, I thinking about starting a thread about "Big cinematic choral music"

Deleted
    Agreed. Outcast is a masterpiece. Amazing music indeed. Kameo and Outcast already have other threads.
    Would you please be so kind to upload Ninety Nine nights? That sounds intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by licenturion View Post
    I've already learned a lot about good action music thanks to this thread.

Some other great orchestral music I like. My file contains a few tracks of the following. Not all tracks are massive action but good cues nonetheless thanks to the great use of choir.

Outcast
    Original Soundtrack by Lennie Moore
    Performed by The Moscow Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
    Recorded at Mosfilm Studios; Moscow

Kameo
    Original Soundtrack by Steve Burke

Ninety Nine Nights
    Original Soundtrack by Pinar Toprack

Hmm, I thinking about starting a thread about "Big cinematic choral music"

Rygar: this score is a pure marvel. If only more games could afford such first class music...

Outcast : top notch game score. I'm a big fan of Lennie Moore since years.

Kameo : I discovered this one thanks to the contribution of ThePhotoshop, earlier in this thread. Excellent OST.

Ninety Nine Nights : I didn't know this one. Thank you for posting it. I'll listen carefully to this cue.

Deleted
    arthierr
    Any idea where we can find lennie Moore's Plague of Darkness? I've been looking for it for ages!

Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    Rygar: this score is a pure marvel. If only more games could afford such first class music...

Outcast : top notch game score. I'm a big fan of Lennie Moore since years.

Kameo : I discovered this one thanks to the contribution of ThePhotoshop, earlier in this thread. Excellent OST.

Ninety Nine Nights : I didn't know this one. Thank you for posting it. I'll listen carefully to this cue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristobalito2007 View Post
    arthierr
    Any idea where we can find lennie Moore's Plague of Darkness? I've been looking for it for ages!
    Sorry, I didn't find that one (but I tried...). There are some cues on his website.

But one thing you can do is to contact him directly :

I've tried this in the past, sometimes it works, but sometimes, due to copyrights problems, composers can't officially release their music. Anyway you should try, and it would be nice for Mr Moore to receive a kind word from a fan.

Deleted
    I did write to him funny enough. He was grateful for interest but said that we could only download the MP3's on his site.
    Glad you enjoyed the Rygar

Sorry, I didn't find that one (but I tried...). There are some cues on his website.

But one thing you can do is to contact him directly :

I've tried this in the past, sometimes it works, but sometimes, due to copyrights problems, composers can't officially release their music. Anyway you should try, and it would be nice for Mr Moore to receive a kind word from a fan.

Full Pinar Toprak N3 Soundtrack: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Contains also a Vivaldi remix.

If you want the full outcast OST let me know.

Also a few other great tracks: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    John Williams - Duel of the Fates
    Vangelis - Movement 10
    John Debney - Movement 5
    Clint Mansell - Death Is The Road To Awe
    Brothers In Arms - Main Theme
    Paraworld - Main Theme
    Prey - Ouverture
    Jesper Kyd - Apocalypse
    Knights Of The Temple - To Battle

Also coming up: 13 unreleased cues from the game Kameo

All my other orchestral action music is trailer music (which i'm not allowed to upload) or movie soundtracks you probably have heard already many times )

Deleted
    Thanks licenturion

Do you have Trinity and Beyond? Not the album by Stromberg/Moore, but the Trailer Music tracks from Immediate? Be good if you can post that. I know arthierr would dig it too.
    Also a question, is the Overture by Soule for Prey the only real orchestral track of the OST?

Also a few other great tracks coming up:
    Vangelis - Movement 10
    John Debney - Movement 5
    Paraworld - Main Theme
    Prey - Ouverture
    Jesper Kyd - Apocalypse

All my other orchestral action music is trailer music (which i'm not allowed to upload) or movie soundtracks you probably have heard already many times )

Thank you very much for all your contributions, Licenturion. Much appreciated.

In fact it's possible that me and other people have already listened to some cues but :

- Many people visiting this thread also didn't, so it's great for them to discover this music,

- the contributions are a way to express what we like, it's a personal choice to promote such and such cues or composers.

For these reasons it doesn't matter if it's been already heard by some of us. So please post what you're personally fond of. I'm curious to listen to what other people like.

Well, this is a great since we all get to know new stuff

My music taste in a nutshell
    ------------------------------
    My favorite game soundtrack of the moment: Alone in the dark
    My favorite game soundtrack ever: John Debney - Lair (Expanded)
    My favorite movie composers: John Debney, Patrick Doyle, Craig Armstrong
    My favorite track of all time: Hanging & Escape by craig armstrong
    What I hate: music that is too structured, or consists for 95% of orchestral synths, fake choirs and fake percussion
    What I love: full force choir and orchestra and music 'with a sense of impending doom and eternal damnation' sound in it

I'm gonna post some new cues tommorow from my collection and I'll try stay out of 'media ventures' waters

As for the question of Cristobalito2007. I have all Immediate Music, Two Steps From Hell, X Ray Dog and many more albums. But since the whole war that's been going on between trailer music companies and ffshrine users I can't post this stuff. But Immediate Music just released a public album called 'Trailerhead'. Also the track I posted from the Prey OST is the only one worth listening too. All the rest is just elektronic mish mash.

But instead I'll post something else. I'm also a huge fan of 'epic metal'. Such a dutch band called epica wrote a soundtrack for a movie recently. I included some great tracks of it. As always all tracks from me include choir . It's only orchestral music I included of course: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

You haven't heard this probably before

Also a few other great tracks: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Vangelis - Movement 10
    John Debney - Movement 5
    Paraworld - Main Theme
    Prey - Ouverture
    Jesper Kyd - Apocalypse

To illustrate what I was saying, I didn't know 2/3 of this selection !

Now thanks to you my ears have tasted this wonderful music.

To illustrate what I was saying, I didn't know 2/3 of this selection !

Now thanks to you my ears have tasted this wonderful music.
    Great!
    I'll join you guys then in this thread. Have a lot more great stuff that I'll post soon. I also learned already a lot

And for the people who like live performances. This is the track Vangelis - Movement 10 live with a big orchestra and choir: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Rygar - Legendary Adventure Symphonic Poem (aka - Symphonic Poem Argos no Senshi)
    Composed by - Hiroaki Takahashi & Takayasu Sodeoka
    Performed by - Moscow International Symphonic Orchestra
    Every time someone mentions this score I have to point out that the overture takes from Goldsmith's 13th Warrior (Horns of Hell) and track 4 hints at the theme itself. There might be more but I haven't listened to it in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by streichorchester View Post
    Every time someone mentions this score I have to point out that the overture takes from Goldsmith's 13th Warrior (Horns of Hell) and track 4 hints at the theme itself. There might be more but I haven't listened to it in a while.
    Since I was reading your comments on this forum, I also catched this virus of comparing all music pieces. Can be quite fun sometimes.

Deleted
    Sorry streich, your slightly wrong there. Goldsmith's First Knight was the temp score for the Overture. Definately the trombone sounds like part of 13th Warrior. I know the bit you mean.

As requested, here's a special HARD BEAT + ORCHESTRA selection. I tried to find something moreless similar to the exemple you posted. Tell me if it's what you're looking for. If so, I have more.

Dekaranger Music Collection Volume 1 - Megalopolis Is A Clear Nihon [Bgm] [M-4].mp3

Dekaranger Music Collection Volume 1 - Scramble Dekamachine! [Bgm] [M-23, M-24].mp3

Digimon Savers Original Soundtrack - Chouhatsu.mp3

Kajiura Yuki - Erementar Gerad Ost 1 - Amagake.mp3

Kajiura Yuki - Tsubasa Chronicle Original Soundtrack - Future Soundscape I - Believe.mp3

Kenji Kawai - Ultraman Nexus - Original Soundtrack - Nexus -Dash-.mp3

Nakagawa Kotaro - Code Geas Hangyaku No Lelouch O.S.T.2 - Air Surfing.mp3

Oohashi Megumi - The Third ~aoi Hitomi No Shoujo~ ost 2 - Kurushi Tatakai.mp3

Otsuka Ayako - Zegapain O.S.T.1 - Aruteiiru.mp3

Tenjo Tenge - Shippu.mp3

Toshihiko Sahashi - Angel Links - Action!.mp3

Toshihiko Sahashi - Black Blood Brothers Original Sound Track - Gin Katana.mp3

Toshihiko Sahashi - The Big O Original Score - Stand A Chance.mp3

Toshihiko Sahashi - Zipang Original Soundtrack - Battle Mirai.mp3

Yamashita Kousuke - Dragonaut -The Resonance- Original Soundtrack - Kyuushuu.mp3

Good listening !

By the way, the french horns in this piece Yamashita Kousuke - Dragonaut -The Resonance- Original Soundtrack - Kyuushuu.mp3 are certainly the most powerful I've heard. This cue has surely been inspired by Matrix Reloaded (Mona Lisa OverDrive), but those french horns are awesome, and to my ear stronger than the model.

I've just been reading through some of the collections here and I've been really impressed. I thought I might add a few from my playlist, just to contribute.

1. 'Village' from SimCity SNES by Soyo Oka. Performed my Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra. Taken from Orchestral Game Concert 2 CD.

This isn't really fast-paced until an awesome section within the middle.

2. 'Evening: The Sunset / Twilight Time' from Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues.

This probably doesn't fit the category, but I really appreciate the arrangements in the whole album and the whole scope of it.

3. 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Main Title' from 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' by John Barry.

There is a SEVERE lack of John Barry in this thread.

4. 'End Titles' from Hulk by Danny Elfman.

Elfman's best score in my opinion, mainly because it sounds absolutely nothing like Danny Elfman. He's a little too storybook for me, but he proved his versatility with this one. This is just a really short section of the main theme.

5. 'Bowser's Final Battle' by Mahito Yakota from Super Mario Galaxy.

I was really nervous when I heard that Koji Kondo would have only a slight role in composing Galaxy's score, but as soon as I heard it I was in awe. Yakota is more than a worthy successor. This track is my favourite track of the score. My version is not the best of quality unfortunately, so if anyone owns a high-qual version, I'd be very interested. I could download the full album, but eh.

6. 'Ecstasy of Gold' by Ennio Morricone from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

So, like a lot of these, this one is pretty obvious and maybe that's why it hasn't been talked about. But I recently deleted a whole bunch of Ennio stuff and I'm really regretting it. This is the only one I have at the moment.

7. 'Fountain of Dreams' by Hirokazu Ando from Kirby Super Star. Performed by New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra. Taken from Smashing... Live CD.

Once again, this is a staple choice. Regardless, it is one of my favourite live video game music performances.

8. 'Farandole' by Georges Bizet from L'Arlésienne.

This is just to prove I am slightly cultured. I love Bizet, and this piece is energetic, fun and bombastic to boot.

9. 'The Last Waltz' by Jo Yeong-Wook from Oldboy.

This is way away from the proposal of 'action' music, but few can deny it is awesome.

10. 'Pruit Igoe' by Philip Glass from Koyaanisqasti.

Partially electronic, this is still a really layered, progressive orchestral piece with no big moments but remains an epic listen.

11. 'Scene 48', 'Scene 51' & 'Scene 65' by Shiro Sagisu from Casshern.

Watched Casshern, thought it was uninspired rubbish. But wow. The OST. These three tracks compliment each other extremely well. Turn them up loud and they will punch the breath out of your chest. Seriously.

12. 'Riddle of Steel / Riders of Doom' by Basil Poledouris from Conan the Barbarian.

I know, I know. I'm patronising you to think you don't know about this one. But this list is for me as well as you, and I couldn't make an list of orchestral action music without this. It doesn't make sense to me. And another listen to it NEVER hurts.

13. 'Buoy Base Galaxy' by Mahito Yakota from Super Mario Galaxy.

I probably didn't mention this is my favourite game soundtrack of this generation so far. This track is quite literally tucked away in the game on a very small level which you spend barely any time on, which is a shame because it has a great energy.

14. 'Ancient Voices (All-Stars Version)' by Russ Landau from Survivor.

This is a really odd choice, but it is really overlooked because of its short length and the fact it is attached to a reality TV show. The All-Stars edition brings in many different tribal elements from all across the world to branch off of the main theme. Epic.

15. 'Guns' by Harry Gregson-Williams from Welcome to the Jungle ( orThe Rundown in the US).

Can't believe noone has mentioned this, or maybe they have and I just browsed over it. This track and some tracks from The Bourne Supremacy are what come to mind when I think 'action/orchestral'. Get it!

16. 'The Vote' by James Newton Howard from The Village.

The ONLY reason I put this in was because I was disappointed that The Great Eatlon from Lady in the Water had already been put up. Damn. Howard has a string of awesome collaborations with M. Night Shyamalan, Lady in the Water being the very best, while The Village was the one that got an Oscar nom. They both deserved one, in my opinion.

Link: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Sorry streich, your slightly wrong there. Goldsmith's First Knight was the temp score for the Overture. Definately the trombone sounds like part of 13th Warrior. I know the bit you mean.
    I'll have to relisten to First Knight, maybe Goldsmith reused some bits for The Horns of Hell. I was referring to the fast bit with the strings and staccato horns which I can pinpoint in The 13th Warrior track.

The biggest ripoff in the word of soundtracks for me is 300 - Returns a King and Victorius Titus. If it was for me Tyler Bates wouldn't get another scoring job ever again.
    Vicotorius Titus: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    300: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Deleted
    I know the phrases you mean. Yes, I agree that Horns of Hell did build on First Knight's brass and woodwind flourishes. Thanks for developing that thought.

I'll have to relisten to First Knight, maybe Goldsmith reused some bits for The Horns of Hell. I was referring to the fast bit with the strings and staccato horns which I can pinpoint in The 13th Warrior track.

Deleted
    Yes, I agree. Masamicho Amano did the same thing for Ominusha Overture, but made it sound like a kind nod rather than a rip off. Does Tyler Bates still work much?

The biggest ripoff in the word of soundtracks for me is 300 - Returns a King and Victorius Titus. If it was for me Tyler Bates wouldn't get another scoring job ever again.
    Vicotorius Titus: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    300: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Deleted
    artiherr!!!!
    Thank you so much for your hard - beat orchestra compilation. I'm downloading it now. All your selections are new to me and I appreciate your research (into your collection). A big (heterosexual) kiss for you!

Deleted
    licenturion
    Thanks for your epica! Interesting stuff.