Page 6 of 878 FirstFirst 1234567891011121656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    Wow, that's scary. Better avoid listening to this in the dark.
    You think? When you're in your house alone at the darksome nights, try the following music:

Again from the "Biohazard Orchestra Album", but the piece is not orchestral. It's the theme "At Deep Mountains and Dark Valleys, the Night Begins", the music that plays on the first floor of mansion in Biohazard/Resident Evil 1. The piece is arranged for pipe-organ solo, and performed by organist Aotani Michiko. It's really scary!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Composed and orchestrated by Franz Liszt.
    "A Dante Symphony", movement I: "Inferno".

Composed by Modest Mussorgsky, orchestrated by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and arranged by Leopold Stokowski.
    "Night on a Bald Mountain" (or "Night on a Bare Mountain") symphonic poem.

From Constantine OST
    Klaus Badelt & Bryan Tyler --> "Circle of Hell"

Composed and orchestrated by Edvard Grieg.
    From the Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, the infamous "In the Hall of the Mountain King".

Cool! Some classical! Thanks my friend, I'm less a classical guy, so what you're adding with your posts perfectly complements my own posts to reach the whole spectrum of orchestral action.

thomasdaly: You want the shit scared out of you? Happy to oblige you, sir! Wait until I get home from work this evening...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfrench View Post
    thomasdaly: You want the shit scared out of you? Happy to oblige you, sir! Wait until I get home from work this evening...
    You mean you're posting this from work ? HOW DARE YOU !? You're a naughty employee.

This thread is made of win. x3

edit: ok, I just wanna thank all of you for this!!!!!! you guys really made my day! lately I have been listening to the same old stuff over and over and had gotten stale...Now I have a TON of music to listen to

you guys rock!

Quote Originally Posted by mugetsu View Post
    This thread is made of win.
    Glad that you appreciate

I'd be happy to listen to your favourite action music if you have some. I'm eager to discover new music and new composers.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Kreachure View Post
    I LOVE this type of music too! Very nice idea.

I have a bunch of "orchestral action" songs in my playlist, so I'm gonna share the ones I think you'll like. Some of these have a definite "modern" feel, but they're all pretty much orchestral (as in performed by an orchestra). And action-ey too, obviously.

I'm sure my song list is going to seem pretty crazy because of all the variety; but please don't pay attention to the song names, simply listen to them. I guarantee you'll enjoy them if you like this style.

ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC PACK!

(NOTE: some of these are personal edits and/or have names made up/modified by me, sorry )

1. Chrono Cross - Time's Scar (2:29)

2. Final Fantasy VIII - Battle Theme (Orchestrated) (3:45)

3. Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams - Hyperspace (3:47)

4. SWT - John Williams - The Asteroid Field (3:11)

5. SWT - John Williams - The Battle of Hoth (11:42)

6. Metallica - The call of Ktulu (Instrumental, S&M album ) (9:34)

7. Evangelion the Movie 1.0 - Shirou Sagisi - Battaille Decisive (4:44)

8. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Shirou Sagisi - Decisive Battle (2:21)

9. N.G.E. - Shirou Sagisi - The Beast (N.G.E.) (1:36)

10. Pokemon - Battle! (1:03)

11. Pokemon - Spirit (1:45)

12. Super Smash Brothers Melee - Pokemon Stadium (1:48)

13. RAGE - Alive But Dead (Instr. Orchestra Version) (6:06)

14. RAGE - Alive But Dead (5:55)

15. Requiem for a dream theme (6:24)

16. Saint Seiya - Galaxian Wars (1:40)

17. Saint Seiya - Glide! Pegasus (1:43)

18. Saint Seiya - Golden Warriors (2:13)

19. Saint Seiya - Intense! Cosmo (0:35)

20. Saint Seiya - Revenger Phoenix (1:16)

21. Saint Seiya - Sanctuary, Precept of Death (1:09)

22. Saint Seiya - Seven Generals (1:47)

23. Scorpions - Crossfire (instrumental) (Moment of Glory album) (6:47)

24. Scorpions - Deadly Sting Suite (instrumental) (Moment of Glory) (7:19)

25. Superman the Animated Series - Main theme (1:00)

26. The Real Adventures Of Johnny Quest- Main theme (1:00)

27. Batman the animated series theme (1:01)

I hope you like them as much as I do! (And if you did like them, please say so! )
    dude! That was an awesome set! I especially enjoy the FF8 orchestral battle music, so AWESOME!!!!

anyways, here is the action music from the game "The Darkness"
    I apologize for I do not know who composed the music for this game but this is the second track of the OST.

You mean you're posting this from work ? HOW DARE YOU !? You're a naughty employee.
    Weeell, it's our quiet period... I have to be on call just in case, but there's not a lot to do at the moment, so I have to stay awake somehow.

Scary Music Pack:

I've actually taken a slight liberty with the title - I don't think it's all necessarily "scary" music - but it's unsettled, dark, and fully orchestral...

Jerry Goldsmith - Alien - (It's A Droid)
    The National Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Lionel Newman

Well, what can I say? Recognised as one of the most masterful of horror scores of all time, Goldsmith's Alien really does have it all - ear-shattering full blown terror, wet-your-pants suspense, and even a beautiful warm, romantic theme to represent the ship. This cue isn't romantic, but it's definitely the other two...!

Elliot Goldenthal - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Toccata And Dreamscapes)
    The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Dirk Brossť

A lot of people hated the movie, and a lot of people were annoyed that Nobuo Uematsu wasn't approached regarding the score. Goldenthal, certainly Hollywood's most adventurous, avant-garde, individually unique composer, penned a score which was massive beyond all belief. It is now regarded as one of his finest works. This cue is brutal, atonal, dissonant, highly experimental, and incredibly unsettling. Expect pure, unadulterated chaos, performed by 100 of the world's finest musicians, recorded in one of the world's most loved studios.

Bernard Herrmann - Vertigo (Prelude and Rooftop)
    The Royal Scottish National Orchestra, conducted by Joel McNeely

Hitchcock's masterpiece, and also Herrmann's - the score to Vertigo has become one of the most easily recognised pieces of music ever written for cinema. It is also one of the most effective. Herrmann's modernist approach, eclectic orchestrations, and meticulous classical education come together to make a score that is romantic, tragic, terrifying, and suspenseful - all at the same time.

Howard Shore - The Fly (The Ultimate Family)
    The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Howard Shore

The score that introduced Shore to the mainstream - and what a score, with a haunting main theme, stunning neo-gothic orchestrations (provided by Homer Denison) and a superb performance by the London Philharmonic. This cue is from the film's grisly climax.

Randy Miller - Hellraiser III (Emergency Room)
    Studio Orchestra, conducted by Randy Miller

Miller's work on the third Hellraiser film is actually very Goldsmithian in its approach (listen to those continuously off-beat rhythms you just can't anticipate) which is never a bad thing. This score is nowhere near as fine as Christopher Young's first two scores in the series, but is nevertheless a solid piece of work, and contains some wonderfully muscular orchestral music.

Jerry Goldsmith - The Omen (The Demise Of Mrs Baylock)

Yes, I love Jerry, I admit it. He's my favourite composer - undoubtedly, and my biggest influence. He deserved far greater recognition for his fifty year career of unadulerated excellence - The Omen earned him his only Academy Award (despite seventeen nominations) and, even after thirty years, has lost none of its power or impact. Notable for its use of the devil's tritone (a musical chord that creates a natural dissonance - in centuries past, composers were forbidden from using it in religious music, lest it evoke Satan - hence its eventual nickname) it's one of the finest - and scariest - compositions ever penned. The Omen was a low budget picture, and so desperate were the producers to enlist Goldsmith's services, that they actually requested a budget extension of 20th Century Fox, explicitly so they could afford him.

Jerry Goldsmith - The Final Conflict - Omen III (The Bloodling)

Goldsmith was back for Damian - Omen II in 1978, with a score largely similar to the first one. However, when he returned a third time to score The Final Conflict, he adopted a vastly different style. Goldsmith's technique was in a state of flux around the late seventies and The Final Conflict is a wonderful "hello" to his early eighties style - it's difficult to describe, and anyway, why talk about it when you can listen to it?

Enjoy!

THAAAT'S my dannyfrench !

Well, I suppose I just have to drop "Toccata And Dreamscapes" from the compilation I'm preparing...

(more comments later)

Quote Originally Posted by mugetsu View Post
    dude! That was an awesome set! I especially enjoy the FF8 orchestral battle music, so AWESOME!!!!

anyways, here is the action music from the game "The Darkness"
    I apologize for I do not know who composed the music for this game but this is the second track of the OST.

Thanks!
    Composed by Gustaf Grefberg

Thanks!
    Composed by Gustaf Grefberg
    oh cool! I didn't know he did the game "Enclave" as well...now THAT was a good game.

GONE....
    GONE....

Quote Originally Posted by CheefBrody View Post
    and I don't have forget what I have to send to you, I'll send it to you by private message...
    I'm looking forward to listening to it.

GONE....
    GONE....

Grand Shriner
    wow thanks

GONE....
    GONE....

Great stuff, Cheef. We can feel the hardcore collector.

May I ask you a favor ? As I'm much interested in your opinion and tastes, I'd like to listen to a compilation of what YOU like in the orchestral action style. Could you post a selection ? And also a few comments to explain why you choose this ?

GONE....
    GONE....

Onion Kid
    I've been lurking this thread (and these forums -- great place to come for music) for a while, on and off, waiting for someone to mention a soundtrack that has bits that fit perfectly with this thread's theme, IMO (even though I haven't had the opportunity to listen to any of it yet ).

Is anyone here familiar with Masamichi Amano's work on the nineties anime OAV Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Excellent series, excellent music -- people run around touting it as one of the great accomplishments of anime music, supposedly.

However, the only mp3s I have are oldish 128k rips... But I might throw up some of what I have anyways if there's interest.

Haha, to be honest I'm a bit nervous about posting this because I'm worried you guys will be all "whoa that guy is a total hack he stole from such and such" and ruin my enjoyment of the series and score.

No need to be nervous. The principle of this thread is this :

Do you have some orchestral action YOU really enjoy ?

Do you want others to enjoy it as well ?

If so please post what you like, it will be much appreciated. This thread has a rather good frequentation, so what you'll post here will be well noticed.

And yes Giant Robo is great. There are many fans here. Please go ahead!

Edit : also I like it very much when people posting explain why they choose such and such cues. I enjoy reading comments.

Onion Kid
    It's getting kind of late over here, but I think I'll whip something up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfrench View Post
    Scary Music Pack:

I've actually taken a slight liberty with the title - I don't think it's all necessarily "scary" music - but it's unsettled, dark, and fully orchestral...
    Remarkable, my friend.

Vertigo : This piece is a movie music classic among movie music classics. Horner stole 1:04 for KRULL (but with talent). A magnificient piece.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within : one of my favourite scores. Pure orchestral grandeur as it's been rarely heard in movies. Totally mind-blowing.

The Fly : very nice horror piece, the rumbling of the timpanis during almost the whole cue induces a primal fear.

Emergency Room : a rare one, nice dig! There's a strange sound at the beginning sounding like a mix between a scream and some hi strings. Really chilling and disturbing.

Goldsmith : your comments are good enough, no need to say more. Excellent choices (I would have added Poltergeist, though).

Grand Shriner
    nice one

There's another coming tomorrow ! Be ready !

In fact I found so many interesting horror/action cues that I divided them in 3 packs. I'll post them one at a time.

By the way, it was a REAL pleasure to dive into my collection to look for specific cues.

Deleted
    Spandam

I'm a huge fan of Masamichi Amano's work. I have Giant Robo 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7. Please upload anything new I would be hugely grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spandam View Post
    I've been lurking this thread (and these forums -- great place to come for music) for a while, on and off, waiting for someone to mention a soundtrack that has bits that fit perfectly with this thread's theme, IMO (even though I haven't had the opportunity to listen to any of it yet ).

Is anyone here familiar with Masamichi Amano's work on the nineties anime OAV Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Excellent series, excellent music -- people run around touting it as one of the great accomplishments of anime music, supposedly.

However, the only mp3s I have are oldish 128k rips... But I might throw up some of what I have anyways if there's interest.

Haha, to be honest I'm a bit nervous about posting this because I'm worried you guys will be all "whoa that guy is a total hack he stole from such and such" and ruin my enjoyment of the series and score.