Page 3 of 879 FirstFirst 1234567891353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

If you're referring to The Flash, the early nineties TV show, with music by Shirley Walker... I have it.

I'd be happy if you could upload it.

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    No, I'm not, at all. That's why I edited my message at the end with this "I do appreciate again your GOOD comments". You know that I admire your musical culture and enjoy your comments.
    Stop editing your messages so they're less aggressive, after I've already read them and got pissed off by them.

I like to think all my comments are GOOD comments, even if they're not necessarily comments which many people seem to agree with. I have my opinion as to what constitutes orchestral music. When challenged, I have discussed it further, provided historical backup, and examples that support it. Obviously this viewpoint is (despite me believing fervently that it is correct) not one shared by anybody here, so I will gracefully bow out of that particular topic of discussion.

I hope you will not mind, if, inspired by this thread, I go on to create one which contains music that fits my interpretation of "orchestral" - as whilst I have the utmost respect for your thread and for the music posted here (who can't love Saint Seiya...) I think this is a missed opportunity - and would still like to create a place where real symphonic masterpieces may be shared, discussed, and enjoyed.

Now, no more off topicness, I promise. (Well, ignoring the fact that 95% of the music here is off topic - but I don't want to get into that one again...!)

Sometimes you say something unfair because of you're taken by the immediate emotion, then you think more and re-equilibrate things a bit. So what I REALLY think is after my edits.

Not only I won't mind but I'm looking forward to reading this thread. I'll even participate if you agree.

Here you go, my friend.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Two interesting thoughts:

a) Shirley Walker's style is very similar to Danny Elfman's. Walker claimed to have nothing to do with Elfman's "style" - she was often thought by many (including myself) to be the real talent behind things like Edward Scissorhands, and Batman - both of which she orchestrated and conducted. She hit back in various interviews, keen to state that Elfman's style is Elfman's style, not hers... But listening to things like this - a score from 1990, predating (or at least written at roughly the same time as) most of Elfman's most popular works, it's hard to believe her. Listen to this, and tell me it doesn't sound like a much maturer Elfman...

b) What a goddamned shame she's not around any more. A fine composer and one of the most skilled orchestrators we've ever had.

Sometimes you say something unfair because of you're taken by the immediate emotion, then you think more and re-equilibrate things a bit. So what I REALLY think is after my edits.

Not only I won't mind but I'm looking forward to reading this thread. I'll even participate if you agree.
    Hell, I'm certainly guilty of that. It's amazing how you can fire off ten pages of ranting, and then look back on it a few hours later and think "Oh, God..."

As I say, I don't want to dump on your thread... I just think there's a market for strictly orchestral, symphonic music and I think it should be separated from the other genres - disco, electronica, metal, etc, which are showing up here.

I'd love to receive any contributions of course, from you.

You obviously have excellent taste - but you are able to enjoy more different styles than I am. That, I believe, is my loss.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfrench View Post
    You obviously have excellent taste - but you are able to enjoy more different styles than I am. That, I believe, is my loss.
    Funny what you say! Generally people think I'm an elitist because my tastes are rather specialized, and because I can't stand the latest crappy pop singer or hip-hop group.

In that case I suppose you're an ultra-elitist .

Grand Shriner
    Evangelion - I'm in two minds over this. I would let it pass as a borderline entry - I admit I'm biased as I hate the Evangelion scores, however.
    Evangelion is pretty good at times, like that violin piece that played at the end of The End of Evangelion that was obviously a rip off of Victor Young's My Foolish Heart.

There's much to say about the orchestral arrangement of Final Fantasy VIII by shiro hamagushi. A great composer himself, he's also extremely skilled in orchestration and conducting.
    The only problem with his orchestration is that he overcompensates for lack of good wind writing by adding trills everywhere. It's annoying that everything ends up so flowery because of it.

Anyway, enough of this Mickey Mouse bullshit, it's time for some REAL orchestral action music: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

If anyone likes these selections I have lots more.

P.S.I.entology zealot Kreachure's Avatar
    arthierr: I'm glad you liked my links so much!

streichorchester: I think it would be nice if you actually told us what's in your RAR file...

Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll do it for you:

Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra - Symphony No. 6: Hanson's 6th (Allegro) (1:55)
    Armenian Philaharmonic Orchestra - Suite: The Battle of Stalingrad (1949) - II - Invasion (1:30)
    Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky - 09 - The Battle On The Ice (9:43)
    Linda Finnie - Ivan the Terrible, Op. 116 [Concert Scenario]: IV. Fire (2:03)
    Linda Finnie - V. Tartars and Canoneers: i) Allegro moderato (1:00)
    Linda Finnie - Ivan the Terrible, Op. 116 [Concert Scenario]: VI. The Storm (9:26)
    Prokofiev - October Revolution Cantata - VI. Revolution (10:33)
    Sergei Prokofiev - The Year 1941: In the Struggle (4:54)
    Moscow Symphony Orchestra - The Fall of Berlin, Op. 82 (ed. Adriano): XI. Storming Seelo (6:26)
    Г. Свиридов - Тройка (3:09)
    Vaughn Williams - Track 02 (3:47)
    Celia Nicklin - Henry V (adapted by Christopher Palmer): VI. Agincourt (15:17)

Just tryin' to help...

Thanks Kreachure, really a kind help. I do appreciate.
    But if you don't mind, I think you must have quoted the tags, wich are sometimes not very meaningful (unless you can read russian).
    So here are the filenames of streichorchester's selection (more explicit).

Hanson - Symphony No. 6 - VI. Allegro.mp3
    Khachaturian - The Battle of Stalingrad - II - Invasion.mp3
    Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky - 09 - The Battle On The Ice.mp3
    Prokofiev - Ivan the Terrible - IV. Fire.mp3
    Prokofiev - Ivan the Terrible - V. Tartars and Canoneers_ i) Allegro moderato.mp3
    Prokofiev - Ivan the Terrible - VI. The Storming of Kazan.mp3
    Prokofiev - October Revolution Cantata - VI. Revolution.mp3
    Prokofiev - The Year 1941 - I. In the Struggle.mp3
    Shostakovich - The Fall of Berlin - XI. Storming Seelov Heights.mp3
    Sviridov - The Snowstorm - 01 - Troika.mp3
    Vaughan Williams - Dona Nobis Pacem - II. Beat! beat! drums.mp3
    Walton - Henry V - VI. Agincourt.mp3

Damn, I was just going to post something sarcastic and you beat me!

Streich: Now THAT is BETTER! That stuff BELONGS!

Grand Shriner
    Kreachure:

But that would ruin the surprise of awesomeness within!

Anyway, you posted the tags which I'm too lazy to edit, so here is the tracklist that shows the composer names:

edit: beaten!!

Most are from film scores, but I included some film score-like pieces as well.

Also, I would have added more of the Khachaturian but emusic likes to let people download fucked up tracks full of sound artifacts so I don't have a decent version of it.

Really interesting selection. Didn't know half of it. I'm learning things tonight!

Thanks!

(more comments after listening)

A special Hikaru Nanase (AKA Masumi Itō) post this time.

Nice composer and singer, very prolific in anime music, some of her action cues are really worth listening.

I particularly appreciate "Scrapped Princess OST Vol. 2 - 13 - Dragoon no Tatakai". Begins with an incredible hi-string ostinato coupled with deep trombones. Just fascinating!

Chrno Crusade Gospel II - 04 - Militia no Katsuyaku

Noein Original Soundtrack 1 - 01 - Shangri-La

Noein Original Soundtrack 1 - 02 - Kakute, Tatakau

Scrapped Princess OST Vol. 2 - 13 - Dragoon no Tatakai

Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica Original Soundtrack - Atmosphere - CD1 - 08 - madder murder

Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica Original Soundtrack - Atmosphere - CD1 - 09 - crimson annihilate

Tactical Roar Original Soundtrack - 19 - Senkan Hasshin

Enjoy!

Well this is my preferred style of music too.
    Every Zimmer album contains a lot of this stuff. Half of the tracks have usually thriving percussion, choir and bombast.

Also trailer music falls in this department since it's even more 'action' than most scores.

Quote Originally Posted by streichorchester View Post
    it's time for some REAL orchestral action music

I think most people in this forum are much like me. We're not music scholars but people who discovered and fell in love with orchestral music mainly via post 70s or 80s film music (or anime, or even games). Even if I sometimes listen to classical or modern non-filmic orchestral music, my culture is relatively limited when it comes to the composers you chose (except Prokofiev and Khachaturian). That's why I find this selection much interesting from both a musical and cultural POV. I wanted this thread to be way to discover new music and new facets of orchestral music, and you added here one approach that lacked so far. I can only thank you for that.

Grand Shriner
    As a wannabe film composer I've found it's always good to know your roots. These are the classical composers that Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, etc. learned from. Except Sviridov, who is sadly the most overlooked Russian film scorer I can think of. But his music will forever live on as the theme from Metal Gear Solid.

Quote Originally Posted by streichorchester View Post
    The only problem with [Shiro Hamaguchi's] orchestration is that he overcompensates for lack of good wind writing by adding trills everywhere. It's annoying that everything ends up so flowery because of it.
    Indeed he uses much trills, but in fact I LOVE trills, and ornaments in general. For me it's one of the things that makes orchestral music so complex and rejoycing to listen. I find that some new composers (I'm looking at you Media Ventures!) don't use these subtleties anymore, and compensate with an excess of beat.

And because we speak of him, here is a selection of his action cues I much enjoyed. It's his own music this time, not arrangements.

Final Fantasy Unlimited Music Adventure Verse 1 - 12 - Demon Gun Dissolve.mp3

Final Fantasy Unlimited Music Adventure Verse 1 - 13 - Demon Gun Shot.mp3

Final Fantasy Unlimited Music Adventure Verse 2 - 27 - Omega.mp3

Final Fantasy Unlimited Music Adventure Verse 2 - 31 - Demon Sword.mp3

Final Fantasy Unlimited Music Adventure Verse 2 - 36 - Airborne Assault .mp3

kiddy grade - 12 - LA MUSE.mp3

kiddy grade - 15 - Crisis.mp3

kiddy grade - 20 - Expectation.mp3

Happy listening!

P.S.I.entology zealot Kreachure's Avatar
    Great selections so far everyone, thank you! I must admit I didn't know of most of these composers/performers. But now I do!

I'm going to share now a few other songs I seemed to have overlooked for my first pack. (Sadly, these are the last ones I have that suit the theme... )

I apologize for the quality of some of these, but these are seriously the best shape I could find them in (I had a hard time finding some of these gems at all!). Again, they seem pretty random, but I think they're adequate. Well, here goes!

(NOTE: Again, some of these are edits/compilations I made myself, and I modified their names too, sorry!)

1. Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton - Rescuers Down Under Medley (10:25)
    2. Halo 3 - Marty O'Donnell - The Greatest Journey (3:11)
    3. Justice League - Lolita Ritmanis - Main title(1:00)
    4. MechWarrior 2 - Jeehun Hwang - Track 09(?) (1:39)
    5. Metal Gear Solid - Various(?) - Encounter (2:18)
    6. Ron Grainer & Murray Gold - Doctor Who Theme [Album Version] (2:28)
    7. Tintin: The animated series - ? - Main title (0:59)
    8. Robotech - Ulpio Minucci - Main Title (1:34)
    9. Yasunori Mitsuda & Tsuyoshi Sekito - Chrono Trigger Medley (Arranged Version) (2:03)

Now, to run away before I get scolded by professional musicians/critics!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreachure View Post
    they seem pretty random, but I think they're adequate.
    No problem, that's exactly what I wanted, an ecclectic approach to orchestral action music.

Thanks for your nice selection! As usual I'll comment later after listening.

Grand Shriner
    Here is another part of music

PART TWO:

Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter Promo Score - The Ghosts' Theme - Track:01 (Tom Salta)

Lost Planet OST - Main Theme - Track:8 (Jamie Christopherson)

Medal of Honor Frontline OST - The Halftrack Chase - Track:8 (Michael Giacchino)

Trusty Bell - Chopin's Dream OST - Leap the Precipice - Track:5 (Disk One) (Motoi Sakuraba)

There will be more as I have lots more music on my computer.

If you're referring to The Flash, the early nineties TV show, with music by Shirley Walker... I have it.
    Thanks for this, dannyfrench! Just listening to it, great score but strangely enough the main theme by Danny Elfman isn't included (I mean the theme playing during the opening). Legal problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecks927 View Post
    Here is another part of music
    Very nice list, thanks!

I added a new link to Streichorchester' Theme144. Corrected a few things in the sampling. Now sounds much better. So if you want to listen to it in better quality here it is :

Grand Shriner
    It's the music of Ultima X: Odyssey, a canceled game, composed by Chris Field and performed by The Northwest Sinfonia (yes, a real orchestra! With real people using real instruments!).!
    I remember hearing these many years ago when I played Ultima Online and thought they were pretty neat. They seem to have been inspired by the usual fair of composers including Prokofiev's Battle on the Ice and John Williams.

Rule City reminds me of Kagome's theme from Inuyasha, but so does every triple-meter theme that begins with a rising 5th.