Page 2 of 878 FirstFirst 123456781252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

Thanks everyone and keep going, this thread's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotoshop View Post
    I had to split these into smaller packs since I have a really slow upload speed. I also don't know the composers so I'll just list the album / game / movie it came from.
    I've just listened to the cues from your selection I didn't know already. Wonderful choices.

Really liked "Metal Gear Saga". Nice melody modulated in different ways. Very interesting to listen to.

World of Warcraft - The Shaping of the World : very epic. Good choice!

The whole Advent Rising score stands as one of the most impressive effort in western game music. That's an obvious choice for this thread.

"Ninety Nine Nights - Defender of Truth" and "Smash Bros Brawl - Ike's Theme" : well composed but sounds a bit too synth to my ears.

Battlestar Galactica - Prelude to War : Fantastic! I love the way the strings are used, reminds me of Elliot Goldenthal's music. I insist : EVERYBODY YOU MUST LISTEN TO THIS ONE.

Kameo: Elements of Power - Danger in the Sky : a true gem. Glad to know this one now!

Appleseed Ex Machina - Synchronicity : another superb discovery. Strangely enough sounds more western than eastern.

Grand Shriner
    I thought that I would do my share as I also love this type of music and have loads of it on my computer. So here is the first part of my favorite Action Orchestral Tracks.

From my Movie and Tv Collection

PART ONE:

24 OST - Copter Chase Over LA - Track:10 (Sean Callery)

Star Trek Enterprise OST - Phaser Fight - Track:7 (Dennis McCarthy)

The Best of Star Trek, Vol 2 - Suite from Way of the Warrior - 'Yo!' - Track:11 (Unknown Artist)

Batman Begins Expanded Score - The Chase - Track:13 (Disk One) (Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

P.S.I.entology zealot Kreachure's Avatar
    The Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 & 4 soundtracks are all indeed by Harry Gregson-Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    I'll do more comments later on... Just now I'm sleepy.

Thanks a lot!
    I thought you were talking about my choices? Hmm, I hoped you'd say a little more about my selections to see if I was on the right track...

Quote Originally Posted by Kreachure View Post
    I thought you were talking about my choices? Hmm, I hoped you'd say a little more about my selections to see if I was on the right track...
    I didn't forget you . I'll do more comments on your (excellent) selection when I'll upload more Saint Seiya's music. And by the way, I hope you don't mind if I upload some of the same tracks, but in better quality (encoded with lame -insane).

Quote Originally Posted by Ecks927 View Post
    I thought that I would do my share as I also love this type of music and have loads of it on my computer. So here is the first part of my favorite Action Orchestral Tracks.
    Thanks a lot for your contribution!

I'll listen carefully to your list, and I'll post my comments when I'm done.

The whole Advent Rising score stands as one of the most impressive effort in western game music. That's an obvious choice for this thread.
    Unfortunately the only good thing about that game

[Edit: This argument is pointless as nobody here is prepared or able to conduct an adult conversation. Arthierr, I wish you the best with your thread. My involvement in it has concluded.]

Each to their own.

[deleted in the interests of saving breath whilst talking to brick wall]

Everybody, here is a very special post. First let me explain. I recently discovered that one of the member of this forum is also a wonderful composer whose music I admire since years : Jeremy Robson AKA Streichorchester [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. To my opinion his music match the complexity of the greatest professional composers.

He allowed me to try to sample (render with a synth) one of the most complex cue he wrote (or at least that I heard from him), an incredible 10 minutes frantic, bombastic piece of music, matching exactly this thread.

I did my best, using a soundfont I made myself. And here's the result. I tried to make it sound as good as possible, but my tools are limited, so be indulgent. But I do find that it sounds rather good, given the fact I'm not a professional musician.

Enjoy! And please give me some comments about it, I'm really interested in your opinions about this.

I precise that Streichorchester isn't really involved in this post. He only gave me his agreement to do so. I'm posting this only because I'm a fan of his music and I want other people to discover it.

dannyfrench, I believe you're confusing orchestra music with symphony orchestra music. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] is sometimes played by less than 40 musicians.

Also, I thought that the "BIG" in the title referred to the hopeful size and importance of the thread, not the size of the orchestras.

But, since you insist...

Final Fantasy VIII - Battle Theme: Performed by the Tokyo Philarmonic Orchestra

3. Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams - Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra

6. Metallica - The call of Ktulu - Performed by Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

7. Evangelion the Movie 1.0 - Shirou Sagisi - Battaille Decisive - Performed by the London Studio Orchestra

13. Alive But Dead (Instr. Orchestra Version) - Performed by the Prague Symphonic Orchestra

14. RAGE - Alive But Dead - Performed by RAGE and the Prague Symphonic Orchestra

15. Requiem for a dream theme ("Lux Aeterna") - Arranged by Clint Mansell and Kronos Quartet

All Saint Seiya Soundtracks - Seiji Yokoyama - Performed by the Andromeda Armonique Orchestra

23. Scorpions - Crossfire (instrumental) &
    24. Scorpions - Deadly Sting Suite (instrumental) - Performed by Scorpions and the Berlin Philarmonic Orchestra

Other songs - Smaller studio ensembles (violins, viola, cellos, piano, percussion) but still sound awesome

Please don't generalize.

Bah

Edit: I'm really tired of this. No more comments. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecks927 View Post
    Star Trek Enterprise OST and The Best of Star Trek :
    For me the best of this first selection, real old-school orchestral action, what McCarthy masters perfectly. Especially "Phaser Fight" is very much recommended.

Batman Begins Expanded Score - The Chase - Track:13 (Disk One) (Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard:
    I'm really not a fan of Zimmer, to say the least, but this cue is interesting. It has something hypnotic due to its strings ostinato and regular rythm.

Also thanks for the quality of your mp3s.

Please more!

I'm adding this for you. You HAVE to listen to this.

It's the music of Ultima X: Odyssey, a canceled game, composed by Chris Field and performed by The Northwest Sinfonia (yes, a real orchestra! With real people using real instruments!).

There are only 6 tracks but WHAT TRACKS!! The 4 action cues here are among the best I've heard from a young composer, this guy is a pure musical genius!

Enjoy!

Ok, I'll come back and comment on these:
    ** WOW **

What a terrible pity this was canned... Imagine how much more music like this we will now never hear... Thank you for that!

Ok, I've changed my mind...

dannyfrench, I believe you're confusing orchestra music with symphony orchestra music. Orchestral music is sometimes played by less than 40 musicians.
    I'm not confused - just very distinct in the way in which I interpret the term "orchestral".

I am a composer, conductor, orchestrator, and classical music reviewer. I'm not a musical rookie.

The physical "orchestra" as an entity is never defined so rigidly - an orchestra can be 10,000 people or 10. The C64 Orchestra, for example, is only twelve musicians. You'd be better off using the term "ensemble" or "chamber ensemble" but if you wanted to push a point, you could still refer to it as an orchestra. Just a bloody small one!

Do you see what I'm getting at? Music can incorporate an orchestra, or the sounds of an orchestra (through a synthesizer) and yet, in my view, still not be "orchestral music" by that definition.

To take a case in point, Saint Seiya - one of my all time favourite scores, by the way - is performed by a small orchestra. But I do not believe it belongs in the category of "orchestral music" because it is clearly disco; structurally, musically, harmonically, it is seventies-style disco music. If Saint Seiya is orchestral music, how about MFSB - The Sound Of Philadelphia? Glorious disco track, with a seventy-piece Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra. Does it feature an orchestra? Yes - a considerably bigger and better one than Saint Seiya. Is it ORCHESTRAL? Technically, yes - but philosophically, and in this context no.

Requiem For A Dream - you really can't tell me it's orchestral music on the grounds that there are musical instruments playing. Goldfrapp, The Divine Comedy, etc, use orchestral arrangements in their songs. Are they writing orchestral music? No.

In the world of modern classical music, the terms "orchestral" and "symphonic" have started to mean almost exactly the same thing. This is wrong of course, because "symphonic" means something entirely different. However, in an effort to simplify terminology for a non-musical crowd (ie, the majority of film music listeners) the definition of "orchestral" has shifted to suggest a particular kind of music - that features orchestral performances, but which also adheres to a certain style and standard of composition.

The anime / video game music community, particularly, have a habit of stealing various musical terminology and appropriating them into meaning different, occasionally wrong, often inaccurate things: "Orchestrated" , "Conducted", and "Composed" are often confused and some people even think they're exactly the same thing. "Orchestrated" means something that sounds like more than a few people are playing, etc. ("Orchestration" just means the act of taking music and deciding what instruments play which melodies, harmonies, etc. My first piano concerto is fully orchestrated - and it's never been played by anybody. It's on manuscript paper. Coincidentally, so is a light jazzy piece I wrote - it's orchestrated, and it includes parts for about twenty orchestral players in additional to sax, drum kit, etc - and I do NOT consider it orchestral music.

Likewise, "orchestral" now seems to mean anything which a) includes musicians playing instruments commonly found in a symphony orchestra, b) has the sound of a) even if produced by synthesisers, c) almost any film, television or anime score that isn't outright metal, rock, or some other genre, etc...

I'm trying to get people to see the word "orchestral" and see it differently.

Case in point - most of the music of Hans Zimmer (and likeminded composers). He uses a (ridiculously big) orchestra, but it doesn't sound like one. He drowns it in synthesizers and simplistic percussion loops. He treats his orchestra like a keyboard. It doesn't *sound* symphonic - because broadly speaking, it's not.

On the other hand, I consider Wendy Carlos' "Tron" to fit into this category, even though it is a orchestral-synthesizer hybrid piece. Why? Because it is, first and foremost, a symphonic piece. Orchestral and symphonic are two words which aren't just about the physical composition of a performance ensemble - they're about a sound, a vibe, a technique - whatever you want to call it. "Tron" is a symphonic, orchestral score that incorporates synthesizers as well.

Likewise the music of people like Jerry Goldsmith - accomplished orchestral composers who used electronics to augment and enhance the sound of their arrangements.

See the difference? Or am I making no sense at all?

Here's another contribution after all:

Tron, "The Light Sailer", Wendy Carlos. The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Douglas Gamley.

Also, I thought that the "BIG" in the title referred to the hopeful size and importance of the thread, not the size of the orchestras.
    If that was the intended meaning, fair enough - in the world of film music, classical music, the term "Big Orchestra" is often used to denote something like Star Wars, Star Trek, Superman, or the symphonies of Shostakovich, for instance - it implies solid, high quality symphonic music. Alternately the "Big" usually refers to the size and scope of the music. Throwing synthesizers, or a hard rock beat, or lots of percussion, at something doesn't make it big or epic. It makes it loud and annoying.

(List of uploaded cues, together with performance credits)
    Most of those belong.

Metallica, Saint Seiya, Requiem For A Dream, emphatically do not.

Evangelion - I'm in two minds over this. I would let it pass as a borderline entry - I admit I'm biased as I hate the Evangelion scores, however.

Please don't generalize.
    I haven't - in fact, I have been doing nothing but trying to encourage the rest of you NOT to generalise - because all this music has been placed under the banner of "orchestral" where not all of it belongs.

There is music that DOES belong. I will try to provide as much of it as I can to try to get you all to hear what real, intelligent, orchestral ACTION music is all about. There have been some examples of it here but not many.

We are drowning in a mixture of crap, not crap but doesn't fit criteria, not crap but isn't orchestral, and not crap but is synthesised.

In any case, this isn't my thread and so it isn't my place to criticise the choices made, or the specifications laid down as to what and what can't be uploaded.

As I have said several times now, I was simply expressing my disappointment at the broad, sometimes faulty interpretation of "orchestral" as it has caused this thread to fill up with fairly common pieces - some good, some really dreadful, whereas if the criteria had been tighter, this could have been a truly special thread - a sanctuary for truly brilliant masterpieces.

Everybody thinks everything is a masterpiece. It isn't. Transformers may sound great in the film, but as music, it is a piece of shit. And it's well known, discussed constantly, and available in twelve different threads...

All I was suggesting is maybe it would be a good idea to leave out that populist rubbish and concentrate on some things that most of you probably won't be all that familiar with - but would probably absolutely LOVE if you heard them.

Peace, gentlemen.

Welcome back my friend. Glad that you managed to cool your mind a bit.

For me your contribution has ceased the moment I red this
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyfrench View Post
    Arthierr, I wish you the best with your thread. My involvement in it has concluded.]
    But that's ok, no problem, that was your choice and I had nothing against it.

BUT, I got REALLY pissed when I red this
    [Edit: This argument is pointless as nobody here is prepared or able to conduct an adult conversation.]
    Nobody here? I am here. So I'm not adult enough for you?

I didn't say a word then by respect for your past contributions, and your marvelous article about Folk's score.

But let's now forget that, I do appreciate again your GOOD comments. And next time THINK before posting comments that could be disrespectful.

If, as I suspect, you are effectively telling me to bugger off, I will do so happily.

Nobody here? I am here. So I'm not adult enough for you?
    That wasn't directed at you - I would have thought you would have known this, as we have never said a bad word to each-other, and all we have ever done when having a discussion on this forum is either outright agree, or discuss and agree to disagree. I am fairly offended that you assumed I meant you, as this tends to disrespect the friendship we had thus far established.

But let's now forget that, and next time THINK before posting comments that could be disrespectful.
    I appreciate that you took my comment badly, but there really is no need to start patronising me and talking to me like a three year old. I find THAT comment disrespectful, and might be justified in saying perhaps YOU should *THINK* before posting comments in such a forthright, blunt manner.

I find that most of my time on this forum is spent being flamed and disrespected by almost everybody. And now to add insult to injury, on one occasion where my endless diplomacy failed, I am now being told to be more respectful... The mind boggles.

If, as I suspect, you are effectively telling me to bugger off, I will do so happily.
    No, I'm not, at all. That's why I edited my message at the end with this "I do appreciate again your GOOD comments". You know that I admire your musical culture and enjoy your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreachure View Post
    I LOVE this type of music too! Very nice idea.

I have a bunch of "orchestral action" songs in my playlist, so I'm gonna share the ones I think you'll like. Some of these have a definite "modern" feel, but they're all pretty much orchestral (as in performed by an orchestra). And action-ey too, obviously.

I'm sure my song list is going to seem pretty crazy because of all the variety; but please don't pay attention to the song names, simply listen to them. I guarantee you'll enjoy them if you like this style.
    Kreachure, I've just finished to listen to all your list, and here's what I can say (I'll do much more comments on Saint Seiya later).

I'm glad that you didn't just stick to movie/anime/game and chose to promote orchestral arrangements of pop/rock songs. Nice choice, even if RAGE - Alive But Dead (Instr. Orchestra Version) doesn't really match the theme of this thread (the others do).

I particularly enjoyed the Scorpions ones, I've got already this wonderful album and the cues you've selected are indeed my favourites. Everybody please listen to this! It's an icredibly powerful (I could even say crazy) combination between an hardrock band and a big symphonic orchestra. The result is so intense that I was literally sweating at the end of my listening!

The superheroes themes in your list are what they're meant to be: heroic, powerful and emulating. It's an obvious choice for this thread. Well done! By the way, if someone here has the score of "Flash" it would be really nice, thanks.

Requiem for a dream is an interesting track. In the same genre I particularly recommend "Christopher Field (X-Ray Dog) - Lord Of The Rings Trailer Music - Gothic Power"

Christopher Field? Yes, it's the same guy that composed the music of Ultima X: Odyssey! Just look a bit before in this thread, I've put a link to this marvelous score. What a pity we still don't hear more from him.

I won't really comment the music of John Williams (too easy, it's perfect). That's also why I didn't chose one of his cue in my initial selection.

There's much to say about the orchestral arrangement of Final Fantasy VIII by shiro hamagushi. A great composer himself, he's also extremely skilled in orchestration and conducting. As you guessed I enjoyed very much Final Fantasy VIII - Squall's battle theme (orchestrated), I also particularly appreciate the track "the man with a machine gun" from the same album (It would be a good idea to include this in your next selection).

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing to your next list.

Thanks much for your comments on my picks.

I was afraid you wouldn't be fond of some of them, but I was fortunately wrong. The Scorpions pieces are indeed unique and spectacular (I'm still searching and waiting for something similar to that to appear!), and I'm glad you liked the animated themes; I've always considered them to be greatly underrated.

I put the Alive but Dead instrumental orchestra version in there just for comparison, so you're right on it not matching the theme.

Speaking of "trailer music", if you want to blow your brains out with a ridiculous amount of Christopher Field (and similar artists like Immediate's) music, you should check out [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and if you're really sadistic, [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (if you know how to work those thingamajigs).

There might be a couple hundred cues you may like from those...

As for the Flash score, I couldn't find any official releases, but don't worry, I'm still working on it!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I didn't know these! Thank to you, I'll have weeks of new music to listen to.

Nice job!

And now a new upload for you. This one is very special for me because it's in my 5 top list of best soundtracks. I've chosen some orchestral action cues from the OSTs of Saint Seiya. It's composed by Seiji Yokoyama and performed by the Andromeda Armonique Orchestra (thanks for the confirmation, Kreachure).

Memorial Box CD1 - 12 - Illusion of 12 Temples

Saint Seiya Original Soundtrack I - 04 - Burn Cosmo

Saint Seiya Original Soundtrack II - 05 - Gilde! Pegasus

Saint Seiya Original Soundtrack II - 13 - Beautiful Gold Saints

Saint Seiya Original Soundtrack VI - 09 - Soldier Dream

Rarely have I listened to such power in music. Especially listen to "Gilde! Pegasus", it just one of my favourite action cues (well, maybe even MY favourite).

Oh! I forgot to mention that the quality of these mp3s is optimal, encoded with lame insane (except the memorial box wich is 192k but good anyway).

Enjoy!