Page 10 of 878 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415162060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

Deleted
    I will have to listen again to some tracks, but I recall many are reworking (and improving if I may say) of john William's fugues and marches for Far and Away.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristobalito2007 View Post
    Streich
    I will surely have a go at the Kanno, sure. May I divulge your and arthierr's attention slightly to John Williams? Namely his first 2 harry potter scores. What would you gents suggest his influences were? I'm looking for any classical influences (ripped or inspired), especially for the swirling strings and keyboard crescendos he often used for Phoenix theme.
    I'll have to relisten to them with my detective's cap on since nothing immediately jumps out at me when listening to them. Superficially, I guess you could say that Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker plays a role (Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies) but I think everyone who's a fan of the score to Hook noticed that Hedwig's theme is taken from there. A large portion of Stravinsky's Firebird (from the entire ballet, not the suite) was used in Hook, and I think that inspiration was taken through to Harry Potter. There are also many similarities to Home Alone, which again was heavily influenced by Tchaikovsky. It's the celesta that does it, really.

Cristobalito, to answer your PM I've made 2 more packs of HARD BEAT + ORCHESTRA selections. I'll post the first tonight and the other next week.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them, there are many rare and great cues inside.

Deleted
    arthierr
    Thank you buddy. I'm so grateful...and I CANT wait to see your next treasure chest of goodies.

Streich
    Thank you for that (J Williams sources). Yes, I knew of Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky, but I appreciate you sourcing some actual pieces. V interesting my friend. If you do have anymore thoughts on William's fantasia music I would be really interested. Streich, what do you think about Rautavaara's work? I think I might post some here. Its very mystical I find.

Here is a little compilation I just fixed up.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Yuzo Toyama - Matsura (Symphonic Poem) - Kauru Wada conducting
    Ace Combat Zero - Balkan War (Mission 18) - Choral and Hard Beat
    Dancing with Domz - Christophe Heral - Beyond Good and Evil Ost
    Allegro Molto - William Walton- Sinfonia Concertante (Fast and interesting music)
    Heal - ICO - Michiru Oshima (Think Silent Hill on a good day)
    18 - Magic Knight Rayearth (melodic and lyrical)
    Ominusha Overture - Masamichi Amano (Excellent choral music with hints of Goldenthal's Titus - makes Tyler Bates look shit)
    Battle of the Planets - Symphonic Suite 10 - Koichi Sugiyama (God of game music)
    Allegro molto - Symphony 1 - Douglas Bostock (Another fast and interesting orchestral piece)
    Second Coming - Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith (Gorgeous choral overture)
    Good One - John Williams - Phanton Menace Unreleased
    Allegro fuoco - Janis Ivanovs - Symphony 5 - (Yet another exciting orchestral piece)
    Chasing the Surfer - John Ottman - Rise of Silver Surfer
    Finale (Allegro deciso) - Englund - Symphony 2 - Last cinematic classical piece

Hope you like my quick bash at this.
    Enjoy

Streich, I've learned a lot listening to your choices while reading your analysis (not finished, still some to listen). Thanks for such brilliant comments.

I was wondering if you could analyze in the same way (musically and concerning "similarities") 2 of my favourite Kanno pieces :

Yoko Kanno - Genesis of Aquarion Original Sound Track - high spirit.mp3

Of course, the ride of valkyries is obvious. Probably Horner' Cocoon at 1:12. 2:40 strongly reminds me of something, maybe Rosza. Also 1:22 is extremely familiar.

Yoko Kanno - Vision Of Escaflowne OST 1 - Over The Sky, The - Flying Dragon.mp3

00:45 probably from one of the Indiana Jones. 1:18 from Williams' ET, a bit 2:18 also. What else ?

Allegro Molto - William Walton- Sinfonia Concertante (Fast and interesting music)
    Ominusha Overture - Masamichi Amano (Excellent choral music with hints of Goldenthal's Titus - makes Tyler Bates look shit)
    Battle of the Planets - Symphonic Suite 10 - Koichi Sugiyama (God of game music)
    Allegro molto - Symphony 1 - Douglas Bostock (Another fast and interesting orchestral piece)
    Allegro fuoco - Janis Ivanovs - Symphony 5 - (Yet another exciting orchestral piece)

Enjoy
    Very nice ! Thanks a lot. And very ecclectic, I appreciate.

Sousei no Aquarion - Exodus
    This track and the next one probably don't deserve to be analyzed because of how heavily they borrow from Elliot Goldenthal's Titus and Alan Silvestri's Van Helsing, but admittedly there are some interesting harmonic elements going on that almost ALMOST make those plagiarisms forgivable. The choir and strings at 0:45, for example, is a brilliant bridge and retransition to E minor. The off-key clusters in the choir and piccolo at 1:20 is typical Kanno fare by now. Then 1:30 marks the Titus rip, right down to the wind trill in the same key with a chorus chanting "Andronicus" underneath (maybe they're saying something else here, but to me it will always sound like Andronicus.) 2:43 always reminds me of the choral interlude in the track "To Die For" from Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to The Lion King, but this melody is actually taken from Henry Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas, specifically the famous Dido's Lament "When I am laid in earth" but with some changes in the harmony that are more Bach-like. The rest, as they say, is Silvestri's Van Helsing. The giveaway is the little fanfares that tail each ostinato section at 3:52 and 4:13 that are very typical of Silvestri's action scores (Mummy Returns, Eraser) but Van Helsing (which was used in Macross Frontier) bears the closest resemblance. The final cluster chord that ends the piece in the wrong key is something entirely new from Kanno and I'm not sure what to make of it. Just like the Haouden Suite from Nobunaga's Ambition it makes use of the major 7th interval, and might simply represent ambiguity instead of finale.
    Streich : I can see you quote Silvestri a certain number of time. As a very good orchestral composer yourself, what do you think of his orchestral music ? Because his first real orchestral score was Fandango (1985), and it was really an enormous challenge for him because he had no experience at orchestra writing at that time (he even was about to resign). It's funny to see someone starting so late at this becoming one of the major Hollywood composers (some even say he's the best action composer). Your opinion ?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    Streich, I've learned a lot listening to your choices while reading your analysis (not finished, still some to listen). Thanks for such brilliant comments.

I was wondering if you could analyze in the same way (musically and concerning "similarities") 2 of my favourite Kanno pieces :

Yoko Kanno - Genesis of Aquarion Original Sound Track - high spirit.mp3

Of course, the ride of valkyries is obvious. Probably Horner' Cocoon at 1:12. 2:40 strongly reminds me of something, maybe Rosza. Also 1:22 is extremely familiar.
    Yep, starts with Ride of the Valkyries, then at 0:30 it is practically note-for-note Korngold's Violin Concerto (3rd movement) which he based on his film score to The Prince and the Pauper. 1:00 is kind of a reworking of the "Belle" song from Menken's Beauty and the Beast. At 1:37 it returns to the Violin Concerto. You have to wonder if anyone in the orchestra (the violinists at least) noticed something. 2:39 is referencing the opening to Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. What part of Cocoon did you think this sounds like?

If you want to hear the Korngold concerto, just search for it on youtube.

Yoko Kanno - Vision Of Escaflowne OST 1 - Over The Sky, The - Flying Dragon.mp3

00:45 probably from one of the Indiana Jones. 1:18 from Williams' ET, a bit 2:18 also. What else ?
    This is essentially Kanno's own "Adventure on Earth" from E.T. 0:47 sounds like Prokofiev to me, but I can't place it at the moment. Any whole-tone stuff Kanno does like at 1:08 can be traced to Mercury from Holst's The Planets. The 1:18 part through to the end is a dead giveaway for E.T.

Streich : I can see you quote Silvestri a certain number of time. As a very good orchestral composer yourself, what do you think of his orchestral music ? Because his first real orchestral score was Fandango (1985), and it was really an enormous challenge for him because he had no experience at orchestra writing at that time (he even was about to resign). It's funny to see someone starting so late at this becoming one of the major Hollywood composers (some even say he's the best action composer). Your opinion ?
    Well, I'm sure Silvestri had experience writing for various ensembles, be they were rock or synth-pop or even disco. If you can write good voice-leading, it's not hard to translate that to full orchestra (Uematsu, for example.) Silvestri writes great action music, but also great "emotional" scores like Forrest Gump and The Abyss, which Kanno rips off all the time. The key to Silvestri's success is having a knack for thematic writing. When you get into the action bits, he's all about the ostinato: Predator, Back to the Future, Eraser, Van Helsing. I wish many modern composers, for both films and games, would learn how to incorporate themes into their action writing as Silvestri and Williams do. Giacchino is kinda good at this thematic integration, but then I really don't think his use of harmony is that good. It's tough.

Grand Shriner
    I will have to listen again to some tracks, but I recall many are reworking (and improving if I may say) of john William's fugues and marches for Far and Away.
    Well, you're right about Blowing Off Steam from Far and Away being used in Turn A Gundam in its entirety almost note-for-note, but I wouldn't say it was improved. It was turned into a Copland-esque showpiece which would obviously sound neater than a "simple" film score. But other than that, there is nothing else from Far and Away I can detect in Kanno's work.

Quote Originally Posted by streichorchester View Post
    What part of Cocoon did you think this sounds like?
    Right now, I'm too lazy to listen to the whole (expanded) score to look for this cue. I'm not even sure it comes from it, but it sounds VERY Horner-esque to my ears.

Part 2 of the requested HARD BEAT + ORCHESTRA selection. Enjoy !

James L Venable - Powerpuff Girls The Movie (Promo) - Mojo Builds With The Girls.mp3

James L Venable - Powerpuff Girls The Movie (Promo) - The Powerpuff Girls.mp3

Kajiura Yuki - Tsubasa Chronicle - Future Soundscape I - A Song Of Storm And Fire.mp3

Kajiura Yuki - Tsubasa Chronicle - Future Soundscape I - Through The Gate.mp3

Kanno Yuugo - Hataraki Man Original Soundtrack - Otoko Switch Iri Masu.mp3

Konami - Ongakushu Produced By Kentarou Haneda - Gothic Neclord.mp3

Kotaro Nakagawa - Go Go Sentai Boukenger Precious Album Vol.3 - The Movie - 13 (BGM).mp3

Kotaro Nakagawa - Go Go Sentai Boukenger Precious Album Vol.3 - The Movie - 22 (BGM).mp3

Kotaro Nakagawa - Go Go Sentai Boukenger Precious Album Vol.3 - The Movie - 26 (BGM).mp3

Mitsumune Shinkichi - Zero No Tsukaima Soundtrack - Louise.mp3

Takanori Arisawa - Digimon Tamers Uta To Ongaku Shuu Ver. 2 - Digimon Tamers No Theme.mp3

Tanaka Kouhei - One Piece - Music & Song Collection 2 - 13.mp3

Toshihiko Sahashi - Angel Links - Launch! The Angel Links.mp3

Toshihiko Sahashi - FullMetal Panic Original Sound Track 1 - Tatakau M9.mp3

Yamashita Kousuke - Dragonaut -The Resonance - Force Of Mind ~ Main Theme.mp3

Yasuhiro Misawa - Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! - Tomodachi Kara Nakama he.mp3

Mitsumune Shinkichi - Zero No Tsukaima Soundtrack - Louise.mp3 is a cute and charming piece matching very well the characters it refers to : [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Deleted
    arthierr
    Thank you VERY MUCH for your second excellent collection of hard beat versus orchestra music. Its even better than the first pack. Thanks! I especially enjoy the One Piece track and PowerPuff girls tracks. Love the hard beat and tense strings on those. Looking forward to your 3rd pack when you have time. Have you heard my compilation yet? Let me know what you think. Did you not like any?

arthierr
    Thank you VERY MUCH for your second excellent collection of hard beat versus orchestra music. Its even better than the first pack. Thanks! I especially enjoy the One Piece track and PowerPuff girls tracks. Love the hard beat and tense strings on those. Looking forward to your 3rd pack when you have time. Have you heard my compilation yet? Let me know what you think. Did you not like any?
    I've had an awfully busy week, so I've only listened to half of it. But now I'm on week-end so I'll finish it and Streich's Kanno list. I'll post comments once done.

I'll greatly update this thread this week-end, so watch out for interesting things to come !

Action music by Yoko Kanno - first set:

It was bound to happen sometime in this thread, and even though I'm sure most of us are already familiar with Kanno's work and posting this might be a bit redundant, it gives me a chance to talk about the work.
    I could say many things about Kanno, it's easier for me (because of my average english) to just list a few comments :

- Her orchestral music is incredibly good and tastes like freshly baked cookies.

- Kanno's compositions are extremely complex and well-written (almost formal perfection). It's first-class orchestral music.

- her orchestrations/conducting is among the best, existing these days.

- Her résumé is either surprisingly short, or very incomplete. There's no clear and logical explanation for such skills in orchestral writing and orchestration.

- Her music uses a LOT of rip-offs and references. the mixing of various material (classical, movie...) is insane but surprisingly well done and effective.

- I'm pissed off when I read admirative reviews or laudatory comments about her music WITHOUT pointing out the fact that an high percentage of it is rip-offs. By the way, about her "borrowings", do you want to read something QUITE FUNNY :

J.V.: I wonder where your inspirations come from, because you almost never listen to music?
    Y.K.: At home, I have no CD player nor minidisc player. I only listen to music at the studio, it's true. Regarding my inspiration, indeed, I avoid asking myself the same question (laughs). But I think that, paradoxically, it is more the pictures that influence me, that guide me. The problem is that I'm often asked to write the music one or two years before the movie is released. So I asked for them to send me "production drawings". My imagination does the rest. I tell myself my own stories, invent my own pictures, let myself be influenced by the things I saw and I think appropriate to the subject. For me, music is exactly like an illustration.
    Full interview here :

- What I suspect : she has a team of EXTREMELY skilled composers/orchestrators who do most of the job, while she mostly gives indications. This hypothesis is conforted by this :

AL: Does this mean that in the case of composition, you put yourself to work right away?
    KY: Yes, of course. Thanks to the team I have, I have the possibility of working for one and even two years, but that's not what makes me how I'm going to occupy my days. I take much time imagining what gives a story, then I receive the first design where I notice there's a dog in the story. I say to myself the puppy barks, "ou-ou-ou", then when he swims in a special combination, he goes, "poi-poi-poi". And that's when I start to write.
    Full interview here :

If anyone disagrees or has any comments, please express yourself.

Grand Shriner
    There's nothing to disagree with there, it's a perfectly valid theory. Composers who are in high demand and are paid the big bucks usually have teams, especially composers who are in demand for their song-writing abilities, not their tedious, spending all hours of the night in Finale, listening to 1000s of hours worth of classical music, orchestration abilities. Also, if you don't make your credentials or musical history beyond "piano lessons" available either through bios or interviews, it makes it even less likely you are the genuine article. If you are asked about the soundtrack to Escaflowne and all you can talk about is the opening song, people are going to assume you had nothing to do with the orchestral music. If you said you recorded in Warsaw because it was the "best" place, people are going to assume you had nothing to do with the orchestral music.

Orchestration and orchestral composition is hard for beginners because there is a lot there to digest. There is a lot of history and many conventions. That's why you can take university-level courses in it. To spend time learning it takes a good portion of your life, and if you are as successful at it as Kanno is, it's time you would be proud of and would at least mention in interviews from time to time. Whether to studied it formally at an institution like James Horner or spent years learning it on your own in your free time like Danny Elfman, you learn it nonetheless and it becomes a regular part of your vocabulary as a composer. For it not to be a part of Kanno's vocabulary is suspicious, as ANY orchestrator would agree.

For now Kanno's name is attached to music she did not write because it's plagiarized. In time we might learn her name is attached to music she didn't write OR orchestrate because she has ghost-writers working for her. It's very possible, but thus far there is not enough evidence to make that accusation. All we have are our suspicions.

Enjoy
    In your selection you posted also non-action music. You did right, because it's great orchestral music anyway. So if anybody wants to post non-action music because you find it exceptional and worth sharing, please do so.

Yuzo Toyama - Matsura (Symphonic Poem) - Kauru Wada conducting : very interesting and rare. Bravo for finding that!

Ace Combat Zero - Balkan War (Mission 18) : SUPERB! At first looks like Media Ventures but 10 times better. A marvelous fusion of orchestra, choir, flamenco guitar and modern beat.

Allegro Molto - William Walton- Sinfonia Concertante : excellent, the use of the piano adds some freshness and lightness. It would be nice to include some Walton again in your next list.

Heal - ICO - Michiru Oshima : this one has apparently a problem, the mp3 must be corrupted. Could you check ?

Allegro molto - Symphony 1 - Douglas Bostock : reminds me of John Williams' style. Very nice.

Second Coming - Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith : believe it or not, I still hadn't listened to this one until you included it in your list. Why ? Because I have so much albums waiting to be listened that I tend to postpone many classic scores. Great cue.

Edit : forgot my favourite in your list.
    Ominusha Overture - Masamichi Amano : magnificient and impressive piece, sounds much like Goldsmith. 2:15 is admirable. 2:50 is very inspired by Carmina Burana.

Cristobalito : promise, I'll post the third part of my HARD BEAT + ORCHESTRA compilation this week-end or next week's beginning (it's a big pack, with 20-25 cues inside). The fact is that it makes 3 times in a row that I post BEAT and ORCHESTRA lists, so it's good to change a bit.

So just now I'm preparing a new compilation of more classic, traditional, orchestral music. I call it the FEEL-GOOD ORCHESTRAL MUSIC compilation. You'll see, it's a good one. I'll post it today.

Shriner
    Some great tunes here - much appreciated. I was wondering if I could request some very rare big orchestral soundtracks, mainly Giant Robo 1-3 and 5. Got 4 6 and 7 after watching the anime and it has hands down the best compilation of classical and re-tuned pieces to date on any program

Well, searching the forum I've just found that for you :

Giant Robo OSTs 1-7 (Masamichi Amano)

Thanks to dannyfrench, one of the great contributors of this thread.

I'm DA PRETTY ROCKER!!!!!
    A RIGHTEOUS Feeling!!!

Heres a good one you might like.

Nice one. Adventurous and upbeat. Where does it come from ?

Thank you !

I'm DA PRETTY ROCKER!!!!!
    Great Beyond All!

Its from Bounty Sword.....THE FIRST!

For this week's update, I wanted to share with you a tracklist I sometimes use to relax and recover from a long day. So here's a FEEL-GOOD ORCHESTRAL MUSIC pack. All these cues are refreshing, soothing or boosting, and help feel better. So for once not all cues are actioney (most of them are) but all of them are very enjoyable.

Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove - Night Mares.mp3
    Poledouris enhances any genre he touches. This western mini-series got a sublime score thanks to him. This cue is heroic and adventurous, and even includes some castanets and Zorro-esque trumpet at some point!

David Arkenstone - Celtic Book of Days - Heart of Spring.mp3
    A masterpiece. THE most relaxing cue I've heard. Arkenstone has been marvelously inspired when he composed this.

James Hannigan - Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix (game) - To Catch an Owl.mp3
    SPLENDID piece, full of emotion and beauty. IMO far superior to the movie score by Nicholas Hooper.

Jeremy Soule - Guild Wars Soundtrack OST - Autumn in Ascalon.mp3
    A grand, majestic fantasy piece. Listen to how elegant and enchanting the piccolo ostinato sounds.

Jerry Goldsmith - Medicine Man - The Trees.mp3
    The most memorable cue of the movie. A pure moment of grace and charm.

Kurt Bestor - Evening Angels - Africiana.mp3
    Nice ethnic hymn from this talentuous composer.

Maarten Spruijt - Skate Ride To Freedom.mp3
    Interesting piece, very hollywoodian. Composed entirely with an orchestra sound library (impressive, isn't it ?).

Michael Kamen - Concerto For Saxophone featuring David Sanborn - 3rd Movement.mp3
    Kamen wasn't only a good movie composer, he was also an accomplished composer in many genres, including pop, rock and classical. This piece is very cinematic and powerful.

Nicholas Pike - Captain Ron (Promo) - Set The Mainsail.mp3
    A tense and busy piece evoking the excitement of a trip departure. We can feel the fresh breeze of the sea while listening to this.

Sakimoto Hitoshi - Romeo x Juliet Original Soundtrack - Neo Verona.mp3
    Very gracious and upbeat. At last Sakimoto managed to create an almost full score with a real orchestra, the result is admirable.

Taku Iwasaki - Binchou-tan Soundtrack - Sora no Ue.mp3
    Incredibly soothing, a true remedy for your nerves. The anime is ADORABLE, highly recommended if you like relaxing and poetic animes with ultra-cute characters.

Taku Iwasaki - Yakitate!! Japan - Daybreak Symphony.mp3
    Could be great if used in a sport event. Very boosting. The rythm reminds me of Queen's "We will rock you".

Taku Iwasaki - Yakitate!! Japan - Royal Theme.mp3
    Noble and majestic. Superb theme.

Tanaka Kouhei - Top wo Nerae 2! Original Soundtrack - Nono.mp3
    As usual the maestro Tanaka composed a wonderful piece.

The Taliesin Orchestra - Orinoco Flow - Book of Days.mp3
    A very nice orchestral arrangement of Enya's song.

Trevor Jones - Dinotopia - Ceremony Of The Sunstones.mp3
    One of my favourite scores and IMO Jones' best score. He created for this mini-series a truly awesome score, with several gorgeous themes, fully rendering the magic and enchantment of the world of Dinotopia. Thumbs up, Mr Jones !

This is my list. Now what is YOURS ? Are you ready to take up the challenge and post your own selection of FEEL-GOOD ORCHESTRAL MUSIC ? I'm eager to listen to the rare precious gems you can find.

Grand Shriner
    Hey arthierr, I was listening to your compilation and was wondering if you've heard the soundtrack to the IMAX movie Everest? It's sort of New Age-y, yet Hollywood-ish. I had it, but can't find it at the moment.

That Captain Ron piece is really good. Is the rest of the soundtrack like that?

Hey arthierr, I was listening to your compilation and was wondering if you've heard the soundtrack to the IMAX movie Everest? It's sort of New Age-y, yet Hollywood-ish. I had it, but can't find it at the moment.
    Just tried it with Amazon's samples, sounds very good. I'll try to find it.

That Captain Ron piece is really good. Is the rest of the soundtrack like that?
    It's one of the best cues. There's some orchestral pieces and a lot of carribean, steel drums stuff. You can judge by yourself :

Captain Ron Promo - Nicholas Pike

BTW, looking forward to reading your Kanno analysis part 2.