Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plot development... stopped? *may be spoilers*

Onion Kid

Plot development... stopped? *may be spoilers*

after Mount Bur-Omisace, it seems like theres no plot development
    I mean you have to travel the longest leg of the game, without anything really happening
    Mosphoron Highwaste; 1 "town", no dialogue, no bosses
    Salikawood; optional boss, 1 very short optional dialogue
    The Phon Coast; 1 "town", 2 pieces of dialogue, 1 at the beginning which is saying, "hey were in archades", the other being a very short but important conversation with Ashe and Balthier
    Tchita Uplands; no dialogue, no bosses
    Sochen Cave Palace; 1 piece of pointless dialogue and 2 bosses

then you finally get to the city of Archades, you would think you're characters would have some time to interact, but no
    it's just Balthier telling you where to go and what to do, then doing it
    then you get to Draklor and after all that travel THE ONLY thing you learn from going so far is... go to Giruvegan

I mean up to Bur-Omisace i was really getting into the game, but then you go through 3 fields and 2 dungeons and all that happens is that?
    I had to really push myself to get through this part of the game and was even more disappointed after i finished Archades
    I mean, I reasonably enjoyed this game, but this part was just so boring

Supreme puppet of the Occuria Vayne Solider's Avatar
    The Salikawood is a dungeon? I would have thought it more of a field or a jungle.

I do agree that some of that part was boring, but for me I thought that once you got into Archades things got a lot better both plot and game wise.

I mean, we see Cid being controlled by Venat, and we also get introduced to Reddas.

And if you thought that was bad wait until you get to the Pharos(assuming you didn't beat the game). That part has almost no dialogue save until the very end. But in the end, it's worth it because of the plot that it involves.

I think that they did this big stretch of nothing on purpose. It not only gives you some time to complete side quests/hunts but it also allows the story up till now a chance to sink in.

Onion Kid
    Yeah. As much as I love the game, that bothered me too. Still, I like the game and the story itself. Though I wish they would've added something else.

Shriner
    It's this part of Final Fantasy XII that puts people off, then leaving it to collect dust for a couple of months before they play again and then get beaten by a group of alraune.

I find it like the parts before this are the teaser and you then have to test your devotion to the game and storyline to reach the juicy events everyone direly awaits when they play this game

Yeah, it's definitely slow through the middle there. By the end of Draklor though I found that the plot picked up pace significantly and remained pretty consistent to the end.

On the lookout for terrorists and liberals. Ceidwad's Avatar
    Agree with Ominous, I've always said that part could use some more dialogue, but it certainly doesn't herald the end of plot development; after you reach Balfonheim, a significant amount of character and plot development follows.

That's one of the reasons why I stopped playing. I was really getting into it and then I realised that I didn't care for the characters I didn't even know much about them. The development in this game is shit.
    Sorry Player, I'm Noriega crossed with Schwarzenegger
    The orphan maker, orchestrate your fate in a torture chamber

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmaster913 View Post
    I think that they did this big stretch of nothing on purpose. It not only gives you some time to complete side quests/hunts but it also allows the story up till now a chance to sink in.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

A weapon of righteousness Ngrplz's Avatar
    Yeah I agree with Vayne, wait until you get to Pharos: Sub Terra. I considered this to be the most boring and time consuming arsehole of a part.

~Forever known as Purrr~

If love is a red dress, hang me in rags. terabyte's Avatar
    I think the revelations and the character development made at Phon Coast are pretty heavy and significant to the overall story; granted, no real action happens, but it's still a pretty large bit of exposition.

Yes, getting to Archades is a little disappointing. You'd think there would be at least some epic battle that culminates in a giant explosion that shakes the city to its foundation. But hey, at least you get to spend all that gil you've been collecting on shitloads of new armor, weapons, and spells.

Not quite your ordinary house. PerfectLibra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkus View Post
    That's one of the reasons why I stopped playing. I was really getting into it and then I realised that I didn't care for the characters I didn't even know much about them. The development in this game is shit.
    So ... the development is shit. The game you didn't play all the way through? Snap.

Take it from someone who has played through this game: This game is packed to the hilt with things to do, see, explore, kill etc ... And that is just talking about the story. Ivalice is a massive world filled with things waiting to be found. If you feel the developers should spoon feed you throughout the game then maybe you should go play some of the earlier FFs.

All I can say is - thank GOD there wasn't a sappy love story this time around.
    I aim to misbehave.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectLibra View Post
    I definetly agree with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngrplz View Post
    Yeah I agree with Vayne, wait until you get to Pharos: Sub Terra. I considered this to be the most boring and time consuming arsehole of a part.
    OMG I couldn't have put it better myself!
    You spend like 5 minutes on one floor, only to move on and find that there's another level just like it!

Whether you're going up the Pharos, or down, that part is definately the most time-consuming and off-putting!

If love is a red dress, hang me in rags. terabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7alentine View Post
    You spend like 5 minutes on one floor, only to move on and find that there's another level just like it!

Whether you're going up the Pharos, or down, that part is definately the most time-consuming and off-putting!

You think it's bad just the one time? Try chaining towers for the Grand Helm, doing hunts, or going back to build all the red bridges and spawn all the one-time-only treasure chests! >.<

Who is the boss at the end of Pharos? On the lift part?

That is where I threw my controller down and NEVER played FFXII again...

Quote Originally Posted by 7alentine

I think everyone feels the same. SQUARE ENIX HEAR OUR PRAYERS.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    FF12 was weak as a hole on plot...or at the very least enjoyed string it along waaaaaaaay to long.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

ALSO found out boss on lift...his name is HASHMAL.

Downright cunting bastard..

This game is really isn't hard guys. It's pretty much just buff/attack/heal for everything in the main quest.

The topic of discussion isn't whether or not the game is difficult in terms of strategy, but more about how downright boring it can get.

That was in relation to what Ngrplz' difficulties. Otherwise my opinion on the pacing hasn't changed since my last post.

Cat Detective & Misanthrope HG Montgomery's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectLibra View Post
    So ... the development is shit. The game you didn't play all the way through? Snap.

Take it from someone who has played through this game: This game is packed to the hilt with things to do, see, explore, kill etc ... And that is just talking about the story. Ivalice is a massive world filled with things waiting to be found. If you feel the developers should spoon feed you throughout the game then maybe you should go play some of the earlier FFs.

I played through the whole game, did 90% of the hunts & all the sidequests i could find.... and i have to agree that the story development IS pretty poor, especially compared to what i'd expect from a final fantasy. by the end i still cared not one jot for any of the characters - in fact when i completed the game i was so shocked because there had been little or no character development or sideplot resolution - i had absolutely no idea this was going to be the last boss. as i'd spent so much time on the sidequests (which looking back were mostly a chore i wouldnt repeat in a hurry, despite the excellent new battle system) i clocked up loads of hours but still thought honestly from the way the plot was going that i was maybe two thirds of the way through, max, and that the story was going to finally pick up and get interesting, any moment now.... and thats what ruined the game for me. all the way through i was expecting something better, and the blind optimism fooled me through the whole game. then when i looked back at it, post end sequence, i realised the whole experience had really been nothing more than some overly large and empty maps filled with copies of the same monsters, but in different colours. and i felt absolutely cheated - not of forty pounds, but of over 50 hours of my life... which is much worse.
    I've played through FF7 & 8 maybe twenty times each at least and not one of those replays has felt like such a waste of time. 9 i enjoyed. ditto X & X2, though i had my reservations about all three. all i can see that 12 has got going for it is the battle system.... but that alone can't save it when there's so few different monsters in the game (by this i mean unique monsters, not recycled enemies.. something i had a serious problem with in FFX) and so little incentive storywise to play through it.) - i also really liked the random treasure chest system that no longer forced you to explore every inch of every dungeon unless you wanted to, but that was ruined by this whole zodiac spear thing - as i'm sure many people will agree.
    finally, my major problem with FF12 from start to end was the horrible resolution it's displayed in for english gamers, it's so flickery and headache inducing that when i first played the game drunk, it made me want to throw up. i'm guessing this isnt the case for NTSC gamers, which is pretty despicable business sense on square's part, shafting their english fanbase so..... i also noticed FF9 seems to have some resolution issues of its own compared to the videos ive seen of it running on NTSC on youtube speedruns and suchlike.... was this the beginning of square becoming too lazy to recode their games for PAL? or is this just a crackpot theory? (i will admit i know little of this PAL / NTSC thing, so i'm theorising massively)
    still... at least it didnt have a sappy love story indeed! (perhaps that was another thing that made the ending such a surprise for me, maybe i was waiting for the inevitable love scene.... still no loss there) and at least it attempted some non-linearity again, unlike the awful 'walk in a straight line for the entire game' map of FFX.

Quote Originally Posted by HG Montgomery View Post
    finally, my major problem with FF12 from start to end was the horrible resolution it's displayed in for english gamers, it's so flickery and headache inducing that when i first played the game drunk, it made me want to throw up. i'm guessing this isnt the case for NTSC gamers, which is pretty despicable business sense on square's part, shafting their english fanbase so..... i also noticed FF9 seems to have some resolution issues of its own compared to the videos ive seen of it running on NTSC on youtube speedruns and suchlike.... was this the beginning of square becoming too lazy to recode their games for PAL? or is this just a crackpot theory? (i will admit i know little of this PAL / NTSC thing, so i'm theorising massively)
    If your screen resolution and such is causing the game to be "flickery and headache inducing" you should really look for the "flicker filter" option in-game. It helps smooth the picture out. I personally always have it turned on, although for most newer TVs it really doesn't make much of a difference. Also, not playing the game drunk might help a bit with the headache part.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    That's the reason why FF12 will never make it on my top 5 FFs.

Everything else has good marks, but, the story is so epic, but you never really get to be a part of it.

I mean, I love FF8 because I see "what could have been", but, it doesn't tease the hell out of my like FF12 did...bastard

The OP brings up a good point. Unfortunately I think the reason they do that is because they make the Mosphoran Highwaste and Salikawood available long before you're required to go through there for the story.

And the game itself is easy if you're playing to finish it. Just, all the optional stuff is definitely far from "easy".

If you're gonna play FFXII, play it to get Order of Ambrosia, otherwise it'll seem like a joke.

Thanks Neg for the banner!!