View Poll Results: Who was the best Doctor?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Doctor - William Hartnell

9 3.88%
  • Second Doctor - Patrick Troughton

15 6.47%
  • Third Doctor - Jon Pertwee

13 5.60%
  • Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker

51 21.98%
  • Fifth Doctor - Peter Davison

3 1.29%
  • # Sixth Doctor - Colin Baker

10 4.31%
  • Seventh Doctor - Sylvester McCoy

9 3.88%
  • Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann

14 6.03%
  • Ninth Doctor - Christopher Eccleston

18 7.76%
  • Tenth Doctor - David Tennant

90 38.79%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: THE DOCTOR WHO STUFF THREAD

For myself, a discussion thread is needed first, the d/l thread is a secondary, most of us have a way of receiving d/l at this time... invite only??, who would we want out?

I leave it to Ex Me, for his reply and to others, who drop in with different views, to the group as a whole to determine the end result.... or we can keep the status quo, which is in effect at the moment.

Bartender to Iris & Panda burneggroll's Avatar

Thumbs up

• [Hidden link. Register to see links.] > [Hidden link. Register to see links.] > [Hidden link. Register to see links.] > THE DOCTOR WHO STUFF THREAD
    You are here.

Quote Originally Posted by del37 View Post
    How would an invite work? If here is freely available but the d/l thread is closed except to invites then what happens when you don't invite someone? Here becomes a war zone again. In particular I'm thinking that the so far unjustified "clique" allegation becomes more relevant.
    "unjustified"? There is a clique. There is always a clique. Usually there are many. That's what happened in my schools, workplaces, clubs, ect. That is true here, too.

From time to time, I post a list of wanted rarities. Share some of those, and "they" will find you.

here's my audio share of the moment/day/life
    doctor who and the blood of the daleks
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

For discussion we could all pile on at:
    Syfy Forums → Syfy Channel → Doctor Who → Doctor Who Audio-Plays discussion – start here

Screw that, they won't let me in because I'm already a member??? Having fun now.

gateworld.net Discuss Doctor Who
    Sorry! Your forum access has been temporarily restricted. (server flooded)

Not many sites have the bandwidth FFShrine does!

We could find out how much bandwidth these guys have;
    A forum for Doctor Who audio stories.

There are quite alot of us!

Don't forget
    Forum > Big Finish Audios > Doctor Who

I've gotten my butt kicked there. "Sing praises or die" type of site.
    Last edited by burneggroll; 01-02-2014 at 06:36 AM.

All posts are for public interest purposes only. Commercial re-use is not authorized.

My Favorite Audios Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by burneggroll View Post
    snip
    I keep forgetting that that site has BBC stuff. Must remember to look there more often.

Thank you for visiting the AudioGO website.
    Please note that trading from this website has now ceased and the website is due to close on 1 February 2014.
    WTF???

These guys look like they have an active discussion.
    The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Grand Shriner
    Did you miss them going into receivership? Random House is taking over the Who line.

Fill in the blank game for the 11th Doctor.

I'm the ___Doctor____.
    I carry a ___Sonic Screwdriver___.
    My catchphrase is "_____Bowties are cool______".

Fill in the blank for burneggroll:
    I'm the ___Librarian____.
    I carry a __Magnifying Glass____.
    My catchphrase is "_____I await a question______".

Now you try it.
    I'm the _______.
    I carry a ______.
    My catchphrase is "___________".

Feel free to do a little funny psychological profile of what kind of time lord you would be if those things were true!

I am the Pedantic Dalek
    I carry a big disrupter
    My catchphrase is "All will be friends or exterminated"

Grand Shriner
    I'm the person with an ill deserved sense of superiority

I carry a(n) air of haughty disdain

My catchphrase is "Pretentious? Moi?"

Engaging discussion with the kiddos about the ontological paradox of the FEZ in Day of the Doctor.

The Fez's life goes something like this:
    1. Wait around in the vault to be discovered by 11*;
    2. Get thrown back to the middle ages to meet 10*;
    3. Get tossed, dropped, buried, and recovered centuries later, and placed in the vault;
    4. Go back to #1.

The Fez has no beginning.

At every iteration, the fez gets handled and worn a little bit more. Although the doctor goes through a regeneration in-between, the fez has no renewal and just keeps getting more worn.

After a gazillion iterations, the 11th * might not care to pick up the worn out fez anymore, letting it escape the loop...?

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

* Nubering system follows pre-2013 conventions.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead2 View Post

a gazillion iterations,
    Surely the point is that there's only one continuous loop not a gazillion iterations of the same events? Everyone experiences their part in the sequence once only, the fez is removed from the display once, the fez travels back in time, the fez is recovered and placed on display. Each event happens one time and forms a continuous loop of cause and effect. A paradox sure but the fez won't wear out because it didn't.

Surely the point is that there's only one continuous loop not a gazillion iterations of the same events? Everyone experiences their part in the sequence once only, the fez is removed from the display once, the fez travels back in time, the fez is recovered and placed on display. Each event happens one time and forms a continuous loop of cause and effect. A paradox sure but the fez won't wear out because it didn't.
    I want to agree, but that's the paradox. If MS so much as frays the hem in putting on the fez (does a fez even have a hem?), there is no point in its subsequent history when that hem gets unfrayed. Being continuous, the cycle has no identifiable reset point at which such a [worn -> new] jump might occur.

Are you suggesting that because the fez is caught in a repeating time loop, it is impervious to physical change?

BTW - Do not mistake my timey wimey confusion for any kind of authoritative argumentation. I only understand this well enough to keep the kiddos thinking. :-)

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

- "Kill the Fez!"

- "Sorry, mate, it's a fixed point in time."

Grand Shriner

Are you suggesting that because the fez is caught in a repeating time loop, it is impervious to physical change?
    It's an interesting point. From everyone's perspective each event occurs once but I suppose, were the fez sentient, from it's point of view it goes repeatedly through the loop. However within that viewpoint each action occurs in exactly the same fashion each time ie the fez never gets frayed and never ages since it wasn't frayed and aged the one time that everybody but the fez experienced the event. From this we must conclude that, within the temporal loop, time does not progress endlessly but must reset each time through.

ooooooo.... life springs from the ashes....
    do we live here now then?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by jawamaster View Post
    ooooooo.... life springs from the ashes....
    do we live here now then?
    Well the other thread is now open but, at this point, I'd rather be here personally.

Yes I saw the other thread was open, telling us to go about our business, then I saw a post from you know who, banging on about links again, and thought "screw it....cant be bothered!"

Its not the kind of drama I am looking for lol!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

One question....
    Is the owner/starter/originator/god like being who started/owns/commands or dictates (well you never know) this thread on board with this, or will we have a repeat of the recent past?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by jawamaster View Post
    Is the owner/starter/originator/god like being who started/owns/commands or dictates (well you never know) this thread on board with this, or will we have a repeat of the recent past?
    I honestly think that nothing at all has been resolved by the hiatus, the same people will do the same things much to the irritation of the same other people. I'll keep an eye on the other thread but I too am fed up of the drama.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out

I honestly think that nothing at all has been resolved by the hiatus, the same people will do the same things much to the irritation of the same other people. I'll keep an eye on the other thread but I too am fed up of the drama.
    Temporarily closing the thread may have been done with the best of intentions, but in my view it will not solve the fundamental problems that we have had of late with some members. I think we all know who and what problems I'm talking about.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Just read your post jawamaster on the other thread, it made me laugh out loud trust you to state the bleedin obviouse

If it's impervious to physical change how come River blew the crap out of it? Or did she just seemingly destroy it but in reality throw it forward (or backwards) in time for the Doc to find it again (or for the first time). God I hate time travel which is ironic considering who we're here to DISCUSS.
    Rock beats scissors, scissors beat paper, woodchipper beats everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoph View Post
    Temporarily closing the thread may have been done with the best of intentions, but in my view it will not solve the fundamental problems that we have had of late with some members. I think we all know who and what problems I'm talking about.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Just read your post jawamaster on the other thread, it made me laugh out loud trust you to state the bleedin obviouse
    Yup that's me the bleedin obvious jawa lol

How many fans does it take to enjoy a program?
    How many fans does it take to start a discussion
    how many people does it take to start an argument
    what do you call a redhead between 2 blondes?
    the translator

How happy are we with a 're-opening', if we are good little boys and girls, as long as we do what is demanded.....
    1, 2, or 3? [the blonde joke was to bring a smile, and possibly get a - what have you got against blondes.....]

To people who are dropping in for a look - please, please, leave a calling card - if here is to be the new discussion site we need people to ask questions, call a doctor a tosser, or at very least wave to each other... if the plan is 'audio' for d/l, here for discussion, then come on and discuss , if there are no d/l's to squabble about... then the squabblers wont be here

Go on then. What have you got against blondes?

Small robot with limited intelligence. redskutter's Avatar
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

.....here or.....
    Last edited by redskutter; 01-02-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded"!

Bees
    Isn't there a forum on the Other Place? But then again, the Other place is mostly ____ file formats. ;-;

Quote Originally Posted by andyb2011 View Post
    Go on then. What have you got against blondes?
    If I tell you, you'll only think I bragging

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by foru View Post
    Isn't there a forum on the Other Place? But then again, the Other place is mostly ____ file formats. ;-;
    Yes, yes, and ?no?.... all sites have discussion threads, you can't stop people talking, even if they don't have a
    common language, humans will try anything, hand gestures, pictures, getting so drunk that neither can make a
    intelligent comment - Drunkenese the only true international language -
    to try and do so, ......

But if a member here, goes and knocks on the door of The BF Forum, they will be met with a wall of 'not today thank you', 'jump through these hoops please.....'

We here, want to chatter, we may or may not care about your 2nd cousin's infected toenail, but dropping in the read the pishing contest between two 'friends', or finding out if Nobber or Redskutter need hospitalisation following a wedding reception with 'free bar', is what community and chatter is for, we have 6-8 months until tv series' start, up to 30 LC releases, to talk about, the chance of 10 - 20 missing shows to be recovered...

No matter how many forums we are part of, there will always be one, where what is said, makes us smile, and having 'more than one, works that way - that said we need ONE for all, here is as good a place, as anywhere on shrine, and we are already members.... let's try for 100 pages of chatter per month.. is that too much of a challenge??, come on, we get 5 pages from some nutter calling some-ones mother a goat......