Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most disapponting game you've ever played?

MAGNA CARTA

Final Fantasy XII, sadly enough.

Having been led to expect a gripping story, interesting characters, and addicting combat, I was disappointed to receive a meh story with no main character, side characters that had no appeal besides a few that have limited time within the story (Vossler, Reddas), and the combat is both too easy with quickenings and too snore inducing with gambits.
    Check out my blog: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by puddles123 View Post
    Final Fantasy XII, sadly enough.

Having been led to expect a gripping story, interesting characters, and addicting combat, I was disappointed to receive a meh story with no main character, side characters that had no appeal besides a few that have limited time within the story (Vossler, Reddas), and the combat is both too easy with quickenings and too snore inducing with gambits.
    Totally the opposite to what I feel about the game.

I think the story was great, different & there's a lot to investigate about the lore of the game on the "Sage Knowledge".

The "no main character" is something that makes the game more appealing to me (maybe that's another reason that I hate Ashe, she's the more near thing to protagonist in the game), is like playing a module of table-top RPG, where the characters that the players perform are not the important thing in the game or the storyline, is what happens around them that makes it interesting, the only problem that I have with the storyline is the filler part that starts after prologue & ends when you enter Nalbina Dungeons.

And about the battle system it's very free, it gives you the possibility to make it fun or boring, challenging or easy, it depends on how are you going to play it.

Besides as I said before I'll say it again, to me XII is not a Final Fantasy Game.

Sad that you were dissapointed. Almost the same happened to me with MGS3.
    V for Valhalla

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    Sad that you were dissapointed. Almost the same happened to me with MGS3.
    Woah woah woah, what didn't you like about MGS3?

I think I may have brought this up before elsewhere, but here goes regardless.

I did not like FFXII because...

- The main villain was dumb (in my opinion). Initially, they seem to set up Vayne as some sort of diplomatic mastermind, but really all he ends up doing is strong arming everyone with magic or magicite or with his secret police equivalent in the Judges. Then, as I began to acquire some measure of respect for him later in the game, it is revealed that everything he has done has been as a puppet, that the true enemies are the gods or whatever (Venat), completely ruining any sense of respect I had for the character. Imagine if they had revealed that Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars had been possessed by Satan right before Luke fights him. While I suppose some people would say, "Fuck yeah!" I would say that that completely ruins the character. Which it did for me.

- Speaking of Star Wars, there are absurd amounts of Star Wars parallels. Balthier = Han. Fran = Chewie. Ashe = Leia. And so on and so on. It has been discussed before, but this made the story not terribly interesting to me. The only point in the story I found interesting was the background behind the Marquis and his 'faction', which played, in the end, a rather minimal part in the whole story.

- The characters seemed very one dimensional to me, for the most part. Balthier is the smuggler with the heart of gold (sound familiar?), Ashe is the princess trying to regain her kingdom, Vaan is an insufferable pest who swiftly becomes irrelevant in the story, Penelo is the female version of Vaan, Fran is the Wookiee exile with a life debt to Balthier... I could go on. The only characters who kept my interest were Larsa, Vossler, and Reddas; all minor characters who you don't control.

- The combat system just seemed tedious to me. If we ignore the fact that quickenings have the ability to instagib anything that isn't some high level hunt, we still have the gambit system that allows the game to play itself. All you have to do is use the joystick to move your characters into battle, and if you are intelligent with the gambits then the game plays itself. The only battles that I only felt really involved in were the Elder Green Dragon of infinite status disruptions and the last fight of the Leviathan (or whatever that star destroyer was called). Everything else was just a walk in the park. Now I suppose I could have disabled the gambit system and refused to use quickenings, but I had no interest in doing that. After all, why would I want to slow myself down? I'm not the kind of gamer who enjoys running games with self-limits.

All in all, these are the reasons I disliked it. The story and characters issue was the major catch for me, as I tend to prefer games with strengths in those areas. But, to each his own. I'm not trying to say that nobody can enjoy it. I'm just explaining why I didn't.

Besides abusing the magicite like you said, he also kills his own father, as well as two brothers (that's mentioned in a scene with Judges). I'd agree with you that he is a bit of a let down in the end, but he keeps the story interesting throughout most of the game.

The Star Wars references are, of course, easily spotted. However, there are more references in other FF games, so XII isn't the first FF game to include these. Also, there isn't any 'rule' or such that prohibits these references. I can understand why some people don't like them, but I don't think they ruin the game.

The characters are somewhat limited in development/cookie cut builds, but I think they game is more storyline driven than character driven. I also like most of the characters (with the exception of Vaan, and some Penelo). I also like the guest characters the most, and I think they were guests exactly for that reason; to draw and keep the attention to the storyline.

As for the Gambit System, I like it. It allows the player to manage a party or personally control each character. If you're replaying the game it allows you to speed through endless battles, or if you're playing it for the first time, it allows complete control over what everyone does. I myself set basic healing gambits and input the rest (spells, techs, item usage) by hand. I think that is a balance of both sides of it, where it keeps me occupied, yet I don't have to keep too much focus to slay a pack of wolves for the 100th time.

I can understand why you make the points you do, I just wanted to give my opinion.

The ones that immediately come to mind are Contact (NDS), Xenogears (PS1), Mass Effect (XBOX 360), Fallout 2 (PC) and, more recently, Risen (PC). None of them are particularly bad, but they didn't come close to measuring up to the expectations I had for them (based either on hype or the strength of their predecessors).

Quote Originally Posted by Centercore7989 View Post
    I definitely agree with Xiahou about Final Fantasy X's Blitzball; WTF were they thinking?? Sports and RPG in one game? No. Okay, I can see some people out there being sports fans and RPG fans, but gimme a break; at least make it somewhat understandable and playable. To each their own, though.
    Blitzball was a great minigame and it was very easy to understand. It had a lot of depth for a minigame and the rewards for playing it (which was already fun) made it so much better. I even liked the Blitzball in X-2 since it was less time consuming but still had the same amount of depth as the first.

Speaking of X and X-2 - both were great games. The music in X was great and the graphics were good for a title released in 2001. I'm not really sure why people hate X so much. One grating reason for me is the, "Tidus is emo xD" line which... really isn't true. X-2 was great because it easily had the best gameplay in the series (not anymore with XIII out) and the story really wasn't all that bad. It was a lighthearted game that showed how things had picked up for Spira once the whole Sin problem was removed
    Because Orphans Don't Have Parents

With a username like yours, I have to ask: Where you abandoned by your parents and raised in a Orphanage? If so, that explains a lot. If not, that still explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT SMACK IN THE ORPHANAGE View Post
    It was a lighthearted game that showed how things had picked up for Spira once the whole Sin problem was removed
    Besides the slaughtering of countless mobs that is.

Tie betwee FFXII and Devil May Cry 2, but I think FFXII takes the lead since I had higher expectations for it.
    "I feel like a helpless puppet being manipulated in some major scheme."~Squall Leonhart
    My art: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Seru_Kai View Post
    Besides the slaughtering of countless mobs that is.
    That's just the post-Sin cleanup.

I won't disagree that there aren't star wars references in other Final Fantasies, but the extent to which they were followed in FFXII seemed like they were too lazy to creatively think of their own characters. For example, take Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie in Final Fantasy VII (the only other star wars reference I can think of atm). The only thing they share with Star Wars is their names. Their characters, personalities, and what they do are completely their own. However, in FFXII, as I mentioned above, the characters ARE the characters in Star Wars with minor changes. This makes it exasperating to play (or it did for me) because I felt like I had already heard this story before, which made it quite the struggle for me to even finish the game, as it was wholly predictable.

But I understand why you like it. Sadly, for me it was a disappointment.

There's a thread Agent created somewhere detailing a lot of the Star Wars references. Some of them are from the FF games I haven't played, but they're still out there. I do agree that they are certainly more outstanding in XII, even a downright Empire vs Rebellion (err, Resistance) plot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofOminous View Post
    The ones that immediately come to mind are Contact (NDS), Xenogears (PS1), Mass Effect (XBOX 360), Fallout 2 (PC) and, more recently, Risen (PC).
    Forgot all about Risen. I think I complained pretty specifically elsewhere though. So what put you off?

Most that, after a wonderful start (ie up to the end of chapter 1), the game slowly devolved in to a mediocre dungeon slog.

I definitely agree with Xiahou about Final Fantasy X's Blitzball; WTF were they thinking??
    They were paying respects to [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    ON OCTOBER 26th, 2009, FFSHRINE FORUM MEMBER "budarc" POSTED A MOVIE REVIEW THREAD IN GENERAL DISCUSSION INSTEAD OF IN THE TV/MOVIE FORUM WHERE IT BELONGED..

The only problem I have with Blitzball is that most RPG fans are likely not going to be into sports, just like I'm not. I think Blitzball is awesome, I just can't get into it However, there's lots of people who could!

most RPG fans are likely not going to be into sports
    /take mouth
    /insert foot
    /congratulations

I personally love sports/sports games. I only play them online or with friends, but they're great fun (mainly if you're competitive)

Yeah. I can't disagree, Guildenstern.

Did you make it to the end boss? ...Not that it's worth it.

/take mouth
    /insert foot
    /congratulations

I personally love sports/sports games. I only play them online or with friends, but they're great fun (mainly if you're competitive)
    Also, one of the most popular RPGs released in Japan last year was Inazuma Eleven 2, a soccer game, which probably reached a million sales over new years. Sports and Roleplaying is a great mix.

Really I'm all for roleplaying and just about anything that isn't running around hitting monsters with weapons.

D and Rebel Assault II were quite disappointing.

Games that can be completed in the same time it takes to fart? Fantastic...

On a forgotten page of eternity
    There lies a land embraced by mighty gods.
    Her name... Eorzea.

Not at the table Carlos discodan's Avatar
    But... i didn't care for Blitz. Played prob a dozen matches total.

sig limit is 400x150

"It was once said by a man who couldn't quit...."

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Woah woah woah, what didn't you like about MGS3?
    Many things actually, but If get the energy I'll make a long post to put it clear, there's a previous post in this same thread that I stated some of the many things that I didn't liked about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by puddles123 View Post
    Imagine if they had revealed that Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars had been possessed by Satan right before Luke fights him. While I suppose some people would say, "Fuck yeah!" I would say that that completely ruins the character. Which it did for me.

All in all, these are the reasons I disliked it. The story and characters issue was the major catch for me, as I tend to prefer games with strengths in those areas. But, to each his own. I'm not trying to say that nobody can enjoy it. I'm just explaining why I didn't.
    XD! That's Hilarious.
    It's okay man, no one is pointing you with the finger, I was dissapointed with FFVI almost in the same way too.

Quote Originally Posted by doomjockey View Post
    Yeah. I can't disagree, Guildenstern.

Did you make it to the end boss? ...Not that it's worth it.
    No, I got to the part where they wanted me to collect the four pieces of the Armor of Ultimate MacGuffinry and decided I was done.

I am so glad others are with me in finding FFXII a disappointment. It just felt as though both the story and characters were extremely lacking and when the game ended I felt like a piece of me had died....and not in a good way. The battle system was ok, but the story/characters, not so much.