Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most disapponting game you've ever played?

So yea, gonna get a lot of hate for this one, but I was severely disappointed by Shadow of the Colossus. Just like Final Fantasy VII or Super Mario RPG, this game has been hyped up towards me by a lot of people claiming that it's TEH BESTEST GAEM EVAR and that I should absolutely try it.

So, I went to my friend's, and I tried it. I started the game. So, you have to go where your sword points and slay giants. Cool. I love slaying giants. After like an half hour of riding through the place, and climbing that stupid cliff, I found that asshole. I had no idea what to do, though. My friend tried to guide me through that (very first!) battle by coaching, but I still failed because the controls are so frigging horrible with this game. He took the controller from me and played instead. I watched him. And I had a very nice talk with his boyfriend about various topics, including other games, politics, neighbours and so on. It was very a entertaining conversation. We quit though when he beat that electric eel boss and I went home.

I seriously recommend Shadow of the Colossus to be played while talking just like when you hang out with your friends and the TV is running in the background. When the topic you talk about dies off, you can watch that guy playing Shadow of the Colossus and think of something else. It's pretty awesome.

But the game itself is meh. I dunno what's so awesome. Sure, it looks nice and I mean, slaying giants is awesome. I can't think of anyone who doesn't like slaying giants. I mean, I like the idea of the game in general, too, it's new. With the battles being essentially action-based puzzles and whatnot. But I dunno, this idea could've had much more potential. Especially with controls that aren't shit.

Street Fighter IV.In all seriousness, what happened.They give us 3rd Strike, the greatest 2D fighting game ever made, and then 10 years later, they take a giant step back.They game is basically a graphical update to SF2.

Devil May Cry 2 - I bought DMC 1-3 and played through them in order. DMC1 and 3 took a few days, and both were great games. DMC2 however...Ugh. I beat it in one sitting, it was depressingly easy and the game just overall sucked, everything about it.
    Final Fantasy X-2 - I had the good sense to never get near FFX-2 after seeing the trailer for it, and I'm glad I never did.
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Way to take one of the greatest SRPG's ever made and dumb it down to a third-grader's level. I remember when I started it, the first thing that came to my mind was "A snowball fight? Really?" Terrible game, I don't even think I bothered to finish that garbage.
    Final Fantasy XII - I used to consider myself a FF fan, but looking at this list, I'm thinking otherwise. Another crappy game that everybody overhyped and I just flat-out hated. The only FF game, other than FFTA that I never beat. Garbage.

HALO 2

After first Halo, I had to recheck at least ten times that I bought the right game.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Castlevainia games are always great, but this one was not nearly as groundbreaking or just plain fun as Portrait of Ruin.
    Sonic the Hedgehog (360) - Sonic Adventure this is not.
    King of Fighters XII
    Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble
    Shadow of the Colossus - Sure it's got great art direction and music, but it felt like there was this all this open space for nothing. I just kept fighting bosses and that was it. With some short platforming sequences inbetween of course.
    Sonic Unleashed - Minus the Werehog and this is a fantastic game waiting to happen.
    Elebits
    Raven Squad - Nice concept at first but in the end this game was lmao bad. The voice acting is hilarious.
    Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution - Less characters in exchange for what? Waggle controls that do little to nothing? Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 is where it's at. Revolution 2 came close but replaced the sound four with a bunch of anbu and made-up jack-offs and a retarted exclusive storyline.
    Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles - The opening made this game look so cool...
    Street Fighter Ex - Who decided that 3D street fighter was a good thing?
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - I'm sorry, in it's own right, this is a great game, but I followed this game from the beginning and it didn't live up to what I expected.
    Soul Calibur IV - This was just a mindless button masher to me that tried way too hard to put more story and bigger boobs onto a once near perfect formula. Soul Calibur II this is not.
    royalfivepro.proboards.com

there's a difference when you don't like a game, than a game being disappointing.
    In my case was MGS3. Why?

Metal Gear Solid(PS1) was a great game with a gameplay new for myself by the time it came out, the storyline and the characters are very unique.
    Metal Gear Solid 2 was a good game, good gameplay, very fun, the storyline is still good, while the characters are not so good, this game has the fame to be hated because of Raiden, but after some years later i realized that it wasn't raiden who ruined the game, it's Rose, and the other characters weren't that surprising either in comparison to the previous installment.
    But with Metal Gear Solid 3, the gameplay was improved in some ways, the characters some were good and some others were just nothing, Naked Snake is a Weapon and Warfare nerd, Ocelot was devaluated making him into a stupid feminine personality jerk. But then the worse of all, "The Cobra Unit" separating The Boss from this ones, they're the power rangers without any kind of personality, "you will feel THE PAIN!" "you will know THE FEAR", "It will be THE END for you.", "THE FURY!!". What the hell is that dude, what happened with Psycho Mantis, with Sniper Wolf, EVEN VULCAN RAVEN IS BETTER THAN THAT GANG OF POWER RANGERS. And no one knows about from where they get their powers or how. Oh, I forgot to mention the hover flying chairs in the 1960's.
    The storyline of MGS3 was good, clears more the origins of "the patriots".
    I've still not played MGS4, as soon as I get a PS3, that will be the first game to beat, i have faith that this Metal Gear Solid will be better that 2 and 3.

Other disappointment FFIX, the go back to it's roots game was a dissapointment for me, some characters were good (Vivi and Beatrix), but the other ones..... Quina is a filler, Amarant is a filler, Zidane has no charm, garnet is another rinoa, steiner is a jackass, Freya was ok. Kuja is disgusting in my opinion. The worse of all, the gameplay, the battles are so fucking slow man, the atb bar takes eons to fill, the learning abilities system has no strategic value to me, equiping items so a character can learn an abillity after bustin your ass fighting to get the AP was not cool at all. The random encounter rate has increased notably adding that the speed of the battles which i already mentioned. The storyline is an improvement in comparsion to the previous installment, I'll give you that.

Another disappointing game that comes to my mind is Castlevania Curse of Darkness, known among my friends as "TamagochiVania". The Music was Ok, Lament of innocence got better music. The gameplay was partially good, in terms of fighting, but the thing that makes attractive the castlevania series in my opinion are the design of the maps, this castlevania has no good map, NO, NOT EVEN ONE PART OF THE GAME IS WORTH EXPLORING. Everything is reduced to [corridor - room] and the mountain levels have nothing to jump, Castlevania was a platform game, in this castlevania THERE ARE NO PLATFORMS TO JUMP.

I have the faith that the next Castlevania will be better than SOTN.

Sorry about the language, but I couldn't control myself. ^^
    V for Valhalla

Onion Kid
    Digimon World 2
    Digimon World 3
    Twisted Metal Black
    Twisted Metal small brawl

Front Mission 4:
    It was boring as fuck... And the fact that most parts in the game to upgrade your units were hard to afford for all your troops (and you truly need at least everyone in tip-top fighting shape) without cheating... YEAH. And I don't think any game after that or Front Mission 5 will be any better. I think the series stopped being good after game 3 (for the record, I've only played the first game of the series, both on SNES emulator and on the DS legit), and Square Enix's attempt to revive it into a Third-person shooter might blow harder than any Armord Core game out there.
    Square Enix may have been able to evolve the RPG with the Kingdom Hearts games, but if you ever took a look at Dirge of Cerberus, you too will hopefully see that these guys suck at making third-person shooter, which is why I don't have any more high hopes for this dead horse of a series. Sad, I feel this way, too. Front Mission was an awesome, though VERY VERY pretentious take on militairy life and affairs worldwide, and how they would evolve both combat and technology worldwide, rather than the rest of the world along with it.
    Then again, so is anything military-like in ANY AND ALL of the Final Fantasy games...

Armored Core: Nexus:
    This game just sucked ASS with capital letters. But Just like Front Mission 4, if I forget to mention, the music was Kickass, but that's it. Shitty controls, unfair AI, customization, though deep, that cannot help against such tough to near-impossible to beat AI, boring to cliche-assed storyline and plot... i could go on...
    Even with cheat codes, It's still no fun (having to cheat in the first place, especially at a bad game, even though I cheat plenty at video games when no one is playing them with me, to be honest enough, is a weak gesture IMHO.)
    Sad, too. Just like the war-story, I love and will try to al leat to give anything a chance if it has giant city-smashing-or-protecting robots (mecha) in it...
    It's thanks to this game that I regret such an ideal of thought on my mind to this day.
    Then again, The Armored Core series in its entirity just sucks total ass, as every game is like what I just mentioned. I haven't played these games to be honest with anyone who reads this, and I don't want to after the experiences I had with Nexus, knowing every game before and after it sucks due to these flaws I have pointed out...

Rebel without a cause The Joker's Avatar
    Final Fantasy XII (gameplay, not story wise) and Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

So this is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause.

The dullness of fools is the whetstone of the wit. impudent urinal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaqZero View Post
    Front Mission 4:
    but if you ever took a look at Dirge of Cerberus, you too will hopefully see that these guys suck at making third-person shooter
    Actually I think they know and may be why they are farming it out to another studio. Also Front Mission 4 was awesome.

[QUOTE=jeepjockey03;1335890]Actually I think they know and may be why they are farming it out to another studio. QUOTE]

That's some good news... Just as long as it's not the guys responsible for the Armored Core games...

Double Helix, the guys responsible for Silent Hill: Homecoming... Formerly Shiny and some other company, neither with any great 3PS under their belts iirc. Oh, they had the original MDK...never played it though.

Should have just refined the series in its original form. I like Front Mission, but the games got dull as hell. FM3 was the last one I really enjoyed.

because I couldn't make up an easy one DifficultUserName's Avatar
    The Legendary Starfy - I picked it up because I heard that it was popular in its home country. I wasn't expecting much, but it was PAINFULLY easy.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - I guess it's fun for people new to the Zelda series, but this too was also easy, compared to the other Zelda games.

Children of Mana - Didn't know what to expect, but was hoping that each character had his/her own individual story. Every stage was just button mashing through monsters then fighting a boss at the end of the stage. The story wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood - Still, wasn't expecting much. The dialog in the game was pretty funny and it was good not to hear Jason Griffith's voice for once. Still, that didn't stop it from being a letdown. The battles got really repetitive and some of the sound effects used in battle were recycled from earlier Sonic games and really out of place. The music wasn't very impressive (I'm not sure, but I've heard that most of the music were just bad remixes from earlier Sonic games, mainly 3D Blast). I guess it's a good game for people who are getting into RPGs.

Marceline
    I was probably most disappointed by Makai Kingdom. I'm a huge fan of both Disgaea and Nippon Ichi in general, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get into the game. There were things that I enjoyed about it, but overall, I just couldn't get into the gameplay. It was way too simple, and that's a no go for me when it comes to Strategy RPGs. I like to be challenged straight out the bat and to have a lot to think about.

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DifficultUserName View Post
    The Legendary Starfy - I picked it up because I heard that it was popular in its home country. I wasn't expecting much, but it was PAINFULLY easy.
    You should probably check out at least one review for a game before you buy it. Pretty much all reviews I've seen for Starfy have said that it's extremely easy.

Not having played too many games really, I would have to say the absolute worst and so disappointing (not to mention a wast of AU$70) is "Quantum of Solace" on PS2 - if you haven't got it, save your money! As a testification, the 2nd hand section of my local EB Games has scores of copies of it!

Grand Shriner
    Battlespire.

The biggest disappointment I've had a game in a while was when Fable 2 was released, I mean of course I should have known that you can't trust Molyneux's words because of the amount of bullshit he said about Fable before it was released, but Fable 2 wasn't really any different from Fable 2, even though Fable 2 was supposed to be an epic masterpiece of open and changing game world.

Then again, that's what Molyneux said. :P

Animal Crossing. I knew it was a likeable, slow-pace, casual-friendly game and I thought it was the ideal break from epic games (like rpg titles) and fast-paced games (like fightings and shooters). But! In order to enjoy this game you have it veeeeeeeeeeeery often or else there will be penalties (like on Tamagotchi). And don't forget to mention this annoying mole that will complain to you like an old lady for five minutes every time you don't save the game. Screw you! And this is supposed to be a game for all family? If I was a father and my kid asked me to buy him this game I would spank him.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
    Battlefield 2. Overhyped, not anywhere near as good.

I second this.

Battlefield: Vietnam, while not really considered worth mentioning, is by far my favorite of the whole BF series.
    The chance to ride vehicles and having those 60s/70s music playing as you wreck havoc (imagine "Surfin' Bird - is the word" or "Wild thing, you make my heart sing", being heard by your prey as you gun them down), having insult-spamming Viet-Cong buddies just in ravaged pants run with you and crazy cityfights are just one of many factors I had enjoyed.

BF2 screwed everything and every hope for something similar

Hey guys,
    Disappointing games for me:

Might and Magic Nine
    Wizards and Warriors
    Tabula Rasa

I'd have to say Super Smash Bros Brawl.

The online play is just a fucking joke, but maybe its because of the area I'm in.
    Once you finish the single player, theres not much left to do.
    Compared to Melee, the fighting seems a bit slow, in my opinion. And they also took most of the fun glitch/bug tricks out too.
    Unless you have a few friends who are willing to come to your house to play, or vise-versa, this game blows.
    \(^.^)/ <-- Look at the happy emote.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou Dun View Post
    Final Fantasy X - A mediocre outing for the FF franchise. Music was so so, same with graphics. The character's and story couldn't hook me in... also, the Blitzball minigame was pathetic.

Final Fantasy X-2 - What did we do to get served this dog's breakfast. Seriously, I can't think of what SE was smoking at the time they thought this up, but considering how the game was... I had to say that whatever it was, it was only the cheap grade grass.

Final Fantasy XII - A Star Wars rip off imo, and a poorly executed one at that. Story was old, and with the character's dancing around like they were... it sunk faster than the Titanic.

The Bouncer - .... What the hell was SE thinking with this piece of monkey excrement? I've had better looking skidmarks in my damn underwear, than this piece of shit. SE trying to redo Double Dragon... and fail... miserably.

Halo 3 - I admit, I enjoyed Halo 2. May not of been everyone's fav of the series, but it was enjoyable. This instalment of the Halo franchise... Bungie... here's some advice : If you want to show how to make a game flatter than Sigourney Weaver's ass, you succeeded. Well done.

Grand Theft Auto IV - Ok... this game initially showed promise... But then after playing for about two minutes or so, getting your fat cousin ringing up all the time, to go and have a bite to eat, get a drink, or go and see 'Big American Titties', WHILE trying to do a mission... fuck that shit. Even worse when you have a girlfriend in the game, and she rings you up to annoy you... often right in the middle of a mission...

There are other games I could list here... but already I have the urge to go and smash myself in the face with a cheese grater due to the piles of crap I've listed above...
    I'd also like to add to the above:

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - I had such high hopes for this game, as I had been drawn in due to trailers of this game available for download off Xbox Live, and having played the first one (And thinking that was an 'Ok' game), I honestly thought this was going to be good. I was wrong. Gameplay wise it was only mediocre imo, nothing to write home about. The whole game was that... Mediocre. Save your money and invest in another game.

Fable II - For the same reasons listed by Exorade.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

I definitely agree with Xiahou about Final Fantasy X's Blitzball; WTF were they thinking?? Sports and RPG in one game? No. Okay, I can see some people out there being sports fans and RPG fans, but gimme a break; at least make it somewhat understandable and playable. To each their own, though.

At any rate, the most disappointing game I can really say I've ever played was Doom 3's expansion, Resurrection of Evil. I know that's merely an expansion pack and really shouldn't count, but that's my honest answer. It lived up to NONE of the expectations I had, nor the anticipation after seeing screenshots and demo videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Centercore7989 View Post
    I definitely agree with Xiahou about Final Fantasy X's Blitzball; WTF were they thinking?? Sports and RPG in one game? No. Okay, I can see some people out there being sports fans and RPG fans, but gimme a break; at least make it somewhat understandable and playable. To each their own, though.
    Blitzball, for me, was fantastic. You could basically customize your team (although I really just used Tidus and a defense), and it was an aspect of the game you could turn too if you got tired of grinding through the story.

X-2's blitzball, however, makes me want to kill myself.