Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most disapponting game you've ever played?

I didn't really like anything about FFXII. You could really tell it was a half-finished game because of the original team falling apart during development. The battle system to me was a bore, the story was very hollow and the characters had very little development. Not sure how anybody likes the game or why it received the scores it did from reviewers. It being different in terms of setting and style does not make it a good game.
    Because Orphans Don't Have Parents

With a username like yours, I have to ask: Where you abandoned by your parents and raised in a Orphanage? If so, that explains a lot. If not, that still explains a lot.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Twisted Metal 3/4.

After the mixture of TM1 and the epicness of TM2, TM3 was just 'bleh' and TM4 was shit.

At least 'Small Brawl' was ok and TM: Black was great.
    Head-On was also pretty good.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Magna Carta. I'd read how awesome it looked, it had great character art, they where doing something unique for the battle system they talked about these awesome voice actors they wanted.....

And it was ugly, had horrific sound, the worst voice acting I've heard since the Sega CD, and the battle system was irritating.

*hug*

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT SMACK IN THE ORPHANAGE View Post
    I didn't really like anything about FFXII. You could really tell it was a half-finished game because of the original team falling apart during development. The battle system to me was a bore, the story was very hollow and the characters had very little development. Not sure how anybody likes the game or why it received the scores it did from reviewers. It being different in terms of setting and style does not make it a good game.
    Agreed.....The only reason I kept playing it was because I kept thinking, "this is horrible, but I'll keep playing cause it has to get better...I mean it is FINAL FANTASY afterall!" and then 'The End' finally pops up and I'm like gaping at how bad it was and how it never did get better like I'd hoped

The battle system was something new and it had its fun points, but it personally made me miss random encounters. Nothing about that game felt like FF to me.....all FF games are different, but being a part of the franchise they should have some consistency imo....I cannot believe this game got good scores. I do have to say, the hunts were pretty fun to do though. I am still excited about XIII possibly making up for it!
    "I feel like a helpless puppet being manipulated in some major scheme."~Squall Leonhart
    My art: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] It was so bad, imo, I can't even type it's name here (And yes, I realise I may sound like a hypocrite, looking up Wikipedia for the link... byte me.).

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Bullet Witch? Never heard of that :O Then again, I'm so out of touch with current games these days it's depressing.

At any rate, I've thought of a game I've played that is severely more disappointing to me than my previous post. This one disappointed me so much, I played it once, but never again since.

Age of Empires: Mythologies for DS.

No, I did not research the game before buying, which is my own mistake. I should have. But still, needless to say, I was very let down upon playing it, expecting it to be the same kind of experience as Age of Mythology for PC. Instead, I get a tactical game with little to no resemblance to AoM. I love tactical games, namely FFTactics, but I can't say enough that there's a time and place for everything. I wanted AoM; instead, I got something far different. Very, very disappointing purchase.

I enjoyed both AoE games for the DS.
    They're a different experience for sure, but given that there's yet to be a GREAT RTS for the DS...

Hey, why not?

I think if I sat down and played it with a more open mind, I'd love it, actually. My problem was that I went in with these high expectations of something identical to my PC game, and as a result was let down. The game itself isn't bad, I just didn't get what I was hoping for. And now that I've stated this, I really oughta pick it up again and try it out, because I hate to be that kind of person who criticizes something because it fails to live up to the standards of something else. If I wanna play the PC version, I'll play the PC version. The DS installment is something different, but different is seldom a bad thing. With that in mind, I think I'm gonna give it another go. Maybe my opinion will change (I hope it does!).

I really think you should try it again.

While I've enjoyed the AoE series since its start, way back when, the DS games knew their place and I praise the developer for making a game that plays to the strength of the DS.

Some games, like COP or CORE try something different and don't do very well at it.
    It's more a testament to the weakness of the DS I think.

mine are:

Zelda
    KH
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    Alone in the Dark
    Halo
    Gears of War
    GTA
    Assassins creed
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Manhunt
    Left 4 Dead

Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2
    Legion of Fire
    Resident Evil
    Final Fantasy I, II, X, X-2, and XI
    Runescape
    Halo 2
    The new Sonic games
    Ghost Recon
    Oblivion (never could really get into it.)
    Any sports game

tanis_lionheart, I do agree; after picking up Age of Empires: Mythologies for DS once more, I've discovered that it really is a pretty good game. It's simple, but simple can be a strength. It's got some pretty interesting tactical gameplay that really does force you to think, and I love it now!

And Akillyz (welcome to FFShrine!) just jogged my memory of two that I could've said in here earlier, but they're so god-awful, I totally forgot about them. Well, 'any sports game' pretty much sums that right up. I'm right there with ya on that. And Ghost Recon; totally not my cup of tea. Realism has its boundaries, which shouldn't be crossed; it is a game, after all. Or rather, supposed to be.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    I'm sure I have a post or three in this thread, but having worked backwards to page 5 or 6, I'm gonna post again, mostly out of boredom. A few games currently stick out in my mind as far as disappointments go.

*possible mild spoilers ahead--nothing major, but better safe than sorry*

Metal Gear Solid 2 is probably the biggest disappointment I've ever played. The first one was brilliant, and the demo was full of win. But after the the ship, bleh. Teh. Suck. Granted, I made it all the way through MGS2 at least once. I didn't make it more than an hour into MGS3. After getting spotted multiple times from a mile away laying completely still with like, 95% camo, I finally spiked the controller and said "fuck this shit."

Chrono Cross is another disappointing game for me. Having been touted as a sequel to CT, I was quite thrilled. And then the game wasn't very good at all. Miguel in particular gave me quite a few controller-spiking, "fuck this shit" moments.

Halo 2 was a disappointment. I played the hell out of it with my friends, but it was a letdown after the first one. We actually went back to the original after a while so we could play our beloved shotguns/infinite grenades game.

RE5 was another disappointment to me. The controls felt awkward, especially after playing RE4 on Wii. The inventory system was shit, and the partner AI was intelligent in name only.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is another disappointment. I was bored to death before by the time I got to play as Sora. Then I got to Mulan World and decided the game wasn't worth the trouble.

I notice a trend of disappointing sequels to good games. Perhaps we as consumers (me in particular) could stand to learn a lesson or three here.

FFVII was a disappointment, as well (yeah, I went there!), mostly because of the insane amount of hype it got prior to release. It had some cool moments, but overall, a disappointment in my book.
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

You know I've actually heard this a lot from many different people.
    Why the f*ck do you not like MGS2?! The first one was great, and the 2nd was bigger and better. I really don't see what the problem is. Haven't tried MGS3 or 4 yet but I'm sure they're not disappointments in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_Cyan View Post
    I'm sure I have a post or three in this thread, but having worked backwards to page 5 or 6, I'm gonna post again, mostly out of boredom. A few games currently stick out in my mind as far as disappointments go.

*possible mild spoilers ahead--nothing major, but better safe than sorry*

Metal Gear Solid 2 is probably the biggest disappointment I've ever played. The first one was brilliant, and the demo was full of win. But after the the ship, bleh. Teh. Suck. Granted, I made it all the way through MGS2 at least once. I didn't make it more than an hour into MGS3. After getting spotted multiple times from a mile away laying completely still with like, 95% camo, I finally spiked the controller and said "fuck this shit."

Chrono Cross is another disappointing game for me. Having been touted as a sequel to CT, I was quite thrilled. And then the game wasn't very good at all. Miguel in particular gave me quite a few controller-spiking, "fuck this shit" moments.

RE5 was another disappointment to me. The controls felt awkward, especially after playing RE4 on Wii. The inventory system was shit, and the partner AI was intelligent in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Why the f*ck do you not like MGS2?! The first one was great, and the 2nd was bigger and better. I really don't see what the problem is. Haven't tried MGS3 or 4 yet but I'm sure they're not disappointments in any way.
    MGS2 was a dissapointment at the begninning to me, but eventually things turn interesting after the Harrier fight, so starting from that portion of the game till the last fight it kinda redeemed the whole game, it had the best gameplay from all the MGS games that I played (I didn't played 4 yet) & when you fully understand the storyline it's a really nice game. But it's not better than one. Wanna know why? 3 things.
    First, Rose
    Second, Raiden
    Third, the design of the big shell is not as good as the base of shadow moses in game 1. There are no Open fields on MGS 2 & no, a large bridge conecting to buildings is not and Open field.
    Fourth, the characters some may be good, but they are not as nearly as interesting as the ones of the first game.
    Sorry I care A LOT about the story & characters when it comes to Metal Gear.

Spoiler!

Chrono Cross was a great game to me, having played Chrono Trigger before, I was specting a good game, with a great storyline, though I found the gameplay odd at the beginning & yet at the end annoying, the storyline kept me hooked to the very end, the music was awesome, but the only BIG FLAW about CC is that since it's gameplay becomes more tedious as you go through the game, the Replay Value dissapears.

RE 5, what can I say I hated 4 & 5 is no different than 4, you hate your partners AI?, Man that's tradition to any Capcom game, your partner never helps you.
    V for Valhalla

I think CC is a fantastic game...if you don't think of it as a sequel to CT.

While I won't deny CT's great, classic status, I find myself playing and enjoying CC more.

I didn't like MGS2 because everything after the ship was a rehash of the original, just with characters that ranged from the mildly annoying to the downright insipid. It also seemed to me that this was the point where Kojima began using his game as a soapbox, which pisses me off. Ret-conning also annoys the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz
    RE 5, what can I say I hated 4 & 5 is no different than 4, you hate your partners AI?, Man that's tradition to any Capcom game, your partner never helps you.
    That doesn't diminish the fact that it completely sucked. If their partner AI's are always bad, perhaps they should stop putting the fucking things in their games.

I didn't like MGS2 because everything after the ship was a rehash of the original, just with characters that ranged from the mildly annoying to the downright insipid. It also seemed to me that this was the point where Kojima began using his game as a soapbox, which pisses me off. Ret-conning also annoys the hell out of me.
    It's a rehash of the original with every reason to be, if you pay attention to the storyline, if not, yeah it will suck BIG TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by C3nt3rcor3 View Post
    tanis_lionheart, I do agree; after picking up Age of Empires: Mythologies for DS once more, I've discovered that it really is a pretty good game. It's simple, but simple can be a strength. It's got some pretty interesting tactical gameplay that really does force you to think, and I love it now!

And Akillyz (welcome to FFShrine!) just jogged my memory of two that I could've said in here earlier, but they're so god-awful, I totally forgot about them. Well, 'any sports game' pretty much sums that right up. I'm right there with ya on that. And Ghost Recon; totally not my cup of tea. Realism has its boundaries, which shouldn't be crossed; it is a game, after all. Or rather, supposed to be.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Smarty, MGS2 sucked. I hated the whole game. The only amusing part was at the end where everything starts screwing up. "Fission Mailed!" is on of them. I've played and beat MGS1 and MGS3. In my opinion, MGS3 was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Akillyz View Post
    Smarty, MGS2 sucked. I hated the whole game. The only amusing part was at the end where everything starts screwing up. "Fission Mailed!" is on of them. I've played and beat MGS1 and MGS3. In my opinion, MGS3 was the best.
    3 is the worse to me, 2 is good if you know what really is the objective of the game, and 1 is the best of all, it's almost flawless & it introduced a lot of things to gaming in general.

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    3 is the worse to me, 2 is good if you know what really is the objective of the game, and 1 is the best of all, it's almost flawless & it introduced a lot of things to gaming in general.
    Just so you know, the "you didn't like it because you didn't get it" crap is really annoying. At any rate, attempting to use the story to justify the fact that they pretty much mailed it in for the last two-thirds of the game is weak and lazy and you should try to remove your mouth from Kojima's cock if you actually buy into that shit. Besides, Splinter Cell's gameplay is way better and doesn't require me to sit through long-winded political conversations via codec (another cop out by the mgs2 team, jftr) just so I'll know what the fuck is going on.

I will, however, at least agree wholeheartedly with you that the first MGS was a masterpiece.

Too bad the 'Syphon Filter' games on the PS1 are still better than MSG series thus far.

Just so you know, the "you didn't like it because you didn't get it" crap is really annoying.
    Yes. I agree, but at least when I really understand things or either I spit the game or love it.

At any rate, attempting to use the story to justify the fact that they pretty much mailed it in for the last two-thirds of the game is weak and lazy
    Well no to me, If I can enjoy the game at least from a certain point, it's fine by me & I always give more credit to the storyline rather than gameplay, but that's just what I am.

you should try to remove your mouth from Kojima's cock if you actually buy into that shit.
    (don't get ugly as in CC, I don't wanna start a flame war so let's try to keep this civil. Ok?).

You care about it? I buy into that shit, It's impossible that I can suck Kojima's cock because I hated many things about 3 & I hate other things about 2, So again. Do you actually care about it?.

Besides, Splinter Cell's gameplay is way better and doesn't require me to sit through long-winded political conversations via codec (another cop out by the mgs2 team, jftr) just so I'll know what the fuck is going on.
    I don't give a damn about Splinter Cell I didn't played it but that's not the point here. We were talking about Metal Gear Solid 2 here & if you don't like to sit through long-winded political conversations, why did you like MGS1 in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    Too bad the 'Syphon Filter' games on the PS1 are still better than MGS series thus far.
    Not to me, Syphon Filter is a badly designed shooter, hard & challeging as hell, but still it's a very stupid game to me.

Also, frek Kojima and the Metal Gear series.

Fool needs to go back and work on ZOE again.

I want my ZOE3...