Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What is the most under-rated/under-hyped game you have loved?

Grand Shriner
    beyond good and evil, did really enjoy that game and the pig bloke (whos name has escaped me) was really funny

and the main character jade reminded me of the central girl from the half life game on ps3

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillbassist View Post
    What bullshit? The game is mediocre at best. I played the demo and that was more than I could take. Stupid teammates, shitty cover system, clunky controls, the list goes on.
    co sign totally, just glad I paid a tenner for it

My obscure favorite would be Einhander. I've only met a handful of people who've heard of the game, let alone play or own it. It's one of those games you can never get tired of. It didn't seem to get much publicity - the only reason why I know it is because it was on the demo CD that came with my PSX.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar

Under Valued/Rated Games

DS:
    Legend of Kage 2 - Like the old school Ninja Gaiden, but easier (most of the time). Great art, graphics, story and a fairly complex magic system. Add in two characters that play differently enough to justify playing through both 'stories' and you have one of the best games Square has put out in YEARS.

PS2:
    (Naval Ops Series) Warship Gunner 2 - Think Armored Core (but not as fucking slow, most of the time) with page after page after page of upgrades and ships types.
    Play as everything from some little Currier to a submarine to an Aircraft Carrier and a story that's ripped out of the Ace Combat games, and you've got one of the most under looked games on the PS2.
    The sales of this game were just plan shameful

Baroque - While this game does nothing to prepare you and, lets face it, the story you pretty much accidentally bump into, that's one of the reason you keep coming back. A tower that never seems to end, great character and monster designs, haunting music, difficulty that goes from a walk in the park to a walk in the hurricane, this game is just an odd kind of fun. A total throwback to dungeon crawlers like Diablo or Planscape: Torment, no game is ever exactly the same.
    Add to it the fact that dieing actually makes you progress, and you've got one weird but fun game.

Dropship: United Peace Force - One of the odder games I've come across (and that's saying something) you play as well a..dropship that carries your other ships into combat and spy missions. With game play that goes from 'Ace Combat' to 'Tank Battle', there's really a variety of ways to complete missions and fun to be had. My biggest issue with this game is that the level are too damn long and while there are check points, they don't really help if you just want a quick play.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - A GOOD anime based game? What the fuck, am I right? While not the best game in the world, the simple fact that this game is not total shit (SEE: GitS on the PSP) and has a GREAT 4 player multi-player mode with a decent story, great graphics, and controls that actually work, some really good weapons and combat, this is one of my favorite anime based games out there.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - You play as a drunk alien British mercenary, a naked water chick, and a huge fucking dinosaur like thing. What's not to love? A game that never seems to take itself to seriously (SEE: Most lines of dialogue in the game), some great game play that differs from each storyline (or creature class), plus some really fun run and kill game play, and you've got an over looked gem.

Gitaroo Man (Also on PSP) - Gain a magical guitar, fight a baby demon in the tutorial and proceed to fight (with the power of music) skeletons and evil alien keyboards and you've got one of the quirkiest rhythm music games on the PS2. One big issue is that when you pause the game on a song you HAVE TO replay from the start, this has been fixed in the PSP port of the game (thank fucking god).

God Hand - Insane 2D beat-em-up but 3D, genuinely funny moments and ball busting difficulty. Add some of the best music in a game, with an amazing replay value and a custom combo maker and you've pretty much got the new school answer to Double Dragon or Battletoads...but without the shitty racing stages.

Gundam: Zeonic Front - Yeah, yeah I know...A gundam game, underrated or Under appreciated? What the hell am I smoking, right? Well, guess what, you'd be wrong.
    This is the Gundam game for people who don't really like...well...Gundam games.
    A tactical third person shooter (SEE: SOCOM) with mechs, this is one of those weird games were even people I know who don't give a crap/like Gundam (or anime for that matter) seem to enjoy this game.
    While not the most complex or long game of its kind, there's something surreal about leading a group of 5 Zaku like you're a freaking general into the fray as if this were SOCOM or a online team up of some random FPS.
    --------------------------OTHERS I NEED TO GIVE A REASON------------------
    Klonoa 2
    Okage: Shadow King
    Oni
    Psychonauts
    Red Faction 1
    Samurai Western
    Shadow Of Destiny
    Skygunner
    Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
    Sub Rebellion
    TransFormers
    VCL Presents: Motor Mayhem
    Whiplash
    Wizardry: Tale Of The Forsaken Land
    Wrath: Unleashed
    Zone Of The Enders 2: The 2nd Runner

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Ah, God Hand...I don't think I've ever seen gayer bosses than those two...

Quote Originally Posted by BNX View Post
    Ah, God Hand...I don't think I've ever seen gayer bosses than those two...
    Don't go all broke back on us...

Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    Don't go all broke back on us...
    You've played God Hand, you know what two bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by BNX View Post
    You've played God Hand, you know what two bosses.
    Hence the line from them.

For those who are interested:

Banjo-Kazooie Fan mastermind777's Avatar
    Boktai is a pretty under-rated series. It's got great puzzles, it's a good length, it can be played several ways, the story is awesome, it's a unique game, and yet it still didn't sell enough. That'ss why the third game was only released in Japan, and the fourth game on DS was renamed, and all references to the original series were taken out, except for a few.

Grand Shriner
    Fortunately for me, back in the 8 to 16 bit era, my dad rarely bought the 'name' or popular games. As such, I got to play a lot of fun games that didn't get a lot of press(if any).

NES

GI Joe: Having grown up shouting "YO JOE!", I was ecstatic when I saw this out. Slight disappointment set in when I saw how limited you were with character selection, but that didn't change how cool it was to battle it out with Cobra troops and hardware. And yet few people even knew it was out. I was king of the hill when my dad rented it, describing to my friends the different Cobra vehicles I was fighting(sometimes needing someone's help to identify one).

Desert Commander: Remembering playing army games with those plastic soldiers? Maybe with your GI Joe toys? That was this game in a nutshell.

Golgo 13: We know of him now, thanks to the popularization of anime, but back then? Very few people knew of, let alone played this game. As a bonus, it was the first to teach us the healing powers of a bedside romp.

Metal Storm: You played the pilot of a robot that could reverse gravity! How cool is that?

Genesis

Alien Storm: You know who to call for ghosts, but who do you call for an alien invasion? Reminiscent of Streets of Rage, this didn't enjoy nearly the same success, despite hitting the arcades too.

Decapattack: An amusing game with tons of name puns(Frank N. Stine, Chuck D. Head, etc), this is a classic platforming hit for all ages.

Starflight: Boldly seek out new worlds and explore the unknown...but this ain't the Enterprise you're on! You might want to keep a pen and paper handy for notes in this space exploration game...and save often!

Truxton: One of the first 'bullet hell' shooters, this didn't(and still doesn't) get nearly enough recognition)

Super Nintendo

Metal Warriors: If you liked mecha battles, this was all for you. Made back during the days of Lucasarts' perfection, you played a pilot who could pilot not only your 'mobile suit' through various missions, but you could also steal your enemies' suits!

Wing Commander: More space combat, you were responsible for various missions, the outcome of which affected the flow of the overall war! VERY advanced controls(you'll need a manual on hand), but intense and immersive(you will find yourself feeling like your comrades are real people).
    If I ever go on a hopeless quest against the Evil Overlord...

20. If my girlfriend is in clear, imminent danger of becoming the next Sacrificial Virgin, I will at least suggest the obvious, even if it gets me slapped.

27. Unless my name is Jackie Chan, I will not, after disabling three attackers, one with a pistol, one with a machine gun, and one with a stick, pick up the stick.

Gun Nac. If you like top-scrolling shoot 'em ups, just go play it. I'm not good at explaining why, so just trust me, it's amazing for an NES game.

Skygunner was a great game but to be truthful, I suck at it. The OST is awesome. I always hated protection missions especially at the castle or trying to bring down that robot.

It's gotten recognition over the years (particularly with the sequel being announced), but initially Beyond Good & Evil sold very poorly, which is a shame since it's a great game.

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avilslare View Post
    Agreed

But for me Voodoo Vince was completely underrated. The level design was some the best I've ever seen, and the whole voodoo doll - pain to yourself causes pain on others - thing was very cool and innovative, yet no one I've ever spoken to seems to have heard of the game.
    lolling @ you pointing out the existence of similar threads to someone else and then posting in one of the older ones.

Post moved to more current thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    lolling @ you pointing out the existence of similar threads to someone else and then posting in one of the older ones.

Post moved to more current thread.
    What's the point of posting in a new thread when there's already an existing one on the same subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I hated Quest 64 soooo much.
    Agreed

But for me Voodoo Vince was completely underrated. The level design was some the best I've ever seen, and the whole voodoo doll - pain to yourself causes pain on others - thing was very cool and innovative, yet no one I've ever spoken to seems to have heard of the game.

I never even saw this thread, hence why I didn't do anything with the other one.

Weird.

Wait, there's a third one? WTF

keepin it real, keepin it trill throwawaythis's Avatar
    Parasite Eve isn't nearly as hyped up as it rightfully should be.
    OUT OF PHASE

Like God and Whiskey...only better. Byrd's Avatar
    FF7 was such an underrated underhyped videogame man.

WHEN WILL IT GET TEH RECOGNITION IT DESERVES?!?!!?

And Halo.
    Something profound goes here...but I can't remember what it is.

Virtua Fighter 5-Easily the deepest fighting game engine crafted, bar none.
    Baten Kaitos 1&2-The game's story is really silly, and voice acting is bad,especially in the first one, but the battle system is fun.
    Last Remnant-Suffers from the same problems as Baten Kaitos, never played the 360 version, but the one for the PC is fun.

Those are some off the top of my head.Through my years, I notice people tend to favor the unimportant aspects of video games, and good games suffer because of this.

I think you have headcrabs. Crazy Novice's Avatar
    GOD HAND IS WIN! That was such a great game and it didn't get any good attention!

What are you talking about FF7 is HUGE! at least around here it is..

Goren
    He is being funny...

I'd have to say the most underhyped and underated game that I ever loved was Drag-On Dragoon, both 1&2. (Drakengard in North America)

I dunno, the gameplay wasn't excellent, and it was repetitive, the music in the first game was pretty out of it, but I absolutley adored the game for the storyline. I've had both since release and I play them constantly. They're still actually quite challenging.

Another game series that I did end up loving despite the lack of recognition was The Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Ages/Seasons series. You don't hear about the game-boy games as much as the console ones, but I remember playing them on the bus on the way home from school, some good memories there.

Lurker Supreme
    I could go on with a joke about how Darkstalkers needs more love in the US, but I have to take a break sometime, don't I?

Instead, I'll simply say Capcom Fighting Evolution. Sure, Demitri and the other's sprites seem a little outdated compared to, say, Yun and Alex, but it's the gameplay that counts, right? The idea of each character having their own individual system is quite interesting, and the final boss is quite a challenge. A great opening to Capcom Fighters if you wanna see what it's like.

Alternatively, War of the Monsters. Kind of a spiritual prequel to the Godzilla Fighting Games, it's got a pretty good original cast. I haven't seen any reports about it anywhere, which is quite a shame. I guess it's one of those cult classics on the PS2.
    When you need me but do not want me, I'll be here.
    But when you want me but do not need me, then it'll be time to go.