Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 281

Thread: What is the most under-rated/under-hyped game you have loved?

  1. #26
    Real, True, No B.S here. Gamer till I die jkr2krz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Between Springfield and Arlen
    Posts
    62
    I second Cyancyde as the whole Mother (earthbound) series being very underrated.

    As for underhyped, but very very good IMHO.. Jet Force Gemini, It landed... and was forgotten so fast.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Shackleford, Rusty Shackleford........

  2. #27
    Maverick Hunter Firebrand-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Besaid Island
    Posts
    145
    Demon's Crest for the SNES and Namco X Capcom for the PS2

  3. #28
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanCyde View Post
    Underrated? Earthbound.

    Underhyped? Castlevania: SotN. Best damn psx game released and it was 2-d.
    Castevaina: SOTN is far from underhyped. Many people call it one of the best video games ever made.

    I do agree with Demon Crest which someone else posted.

  4. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    the best underrated game i played was shadow of the colosuss. god do i love this game

  5. #30
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by All Seeing Eye View Post
    Castevaina: SOTN is far from underhyped. Many people call it one of the best video games ever made.
    Castlevania SOTN is a cult video game if I may.

  6. #31
    Silent Shriner #3 doomjockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah123 View Post
    the best underrated game i played was shadow of the colosuss. god do i love this game
    Where do you get your reviews from? When was this game underrated? On the contrary, every review I read praised it with high marks. Under-hyped? A very weak maybe, since it came on the back of a truly under-hyped title, Ico.

  7. #32
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,525
    And it's no secret that Ico was actually way over Shadow of the Collossus in terms of design and overall quality.

  8. #33
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    Castlevania SOTN is a cult video game if I may.
    You may, but I disagree. SOTN gets more than enough credit, at least compared to the many other great games people can chose.

  9. #34
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by All Seeing Eye View Post
    You may, but I disagree. SOTN gets more than enough credit, at least compared to the many other great under-rated games people can chose.

  10. #35
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,525
    You disagree about what exactly? The claim that Castlevania SOTN is underhyped isn't from me, and in any case, you mistake the word underhyped with underrated.


    It's still a cult videogame. Certainly not a game in the vein of Halo or GTAIV.

  11. #36
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    You disagree about what exactly? The claim that Castlevania SOTN is underhyped isn't from me.


    It's still a cult videogame. Certainly not a game in the vein of Halo or GTAIV.
    Plenty of people know about it. Certainly not underhyped or underrated in the least. Call it what you want, but most gamers you mention SOTN to will know what you're talking about.

  12. #37
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,525
    Yeah, just like most people will know what I'm talking about when I mention Scarface. And it's still a cult movie.

  13. #38
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    Yeah, just like most people will know what I'm talking about when I mention Scarface. And it's still a cult movie.
    That's interesting, since everybody and their grandmother call easily tell you where they heard "Say hello to my little friend" from.

    Actually, I heard people say Scarface was OVER hyped, and OVER rated.

  14. #39
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,525
    Is that your way of debating?


    Facts: Scarface, Pink Floyd The Wall, The Evil Dead, Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, Pulp Fiction are all considered cult movies. That everyone likes them or not has no weight in the balance.


    All Seeing Eye, but not an All Comprehending Brain.

  15. #40
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    Is that your way of debating?


    Facts: Scarface, Pink Floyd The Wall, The Evil Dead are 3 cult movies. That everyone likes them or not has no weight in the balance.


    All Seeing Eye, but not an All Comprehending Brain.
    The only thing you got right about that post was The Evil Dead, Blade Runner, and The Taxi Driver.

    Scarface and Pink Floyd the Wall, Pulp Fiction doesn't qualify. And you know what they say about the debater who is quick to throw insults. Keep it civil.

    Furthermore, just because a movie is a cult hit doesn't mean its underhyped or underrated.

  16. #41
    Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,525
    They aren't considered Cult Movies? Seriously, do you have any idea what I'm talking about? What you like or not has no bearing in all this.

    I state facts, not personal opinions.

    Go read some articles about cult movies. Educate yourself, then come back. Until then, I see no point in continuing arguing with an ignorant like you.

  17. #42
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    They aren't considered Cult Movies? Seriously, do you have any idea what I'm talking about? What you like or not has no bearing in all this.

    I state facts, not personal opinions.

    Go read some articles about cult movies. Educate yourself, then come back. Until then, I see no point in continuing arguing with an ignorant like you.
    Very well, nice chatting with you.

  18. #43
    Silent Shriner #0
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    5,426
    A lot of people here know about SOTN. I honestly hated the game. Didn't see why everyone thought it was amazing.

  19. #44
    Something wicca this way comes matt damon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Halliwell Manor
    Posts
    10,283
    Rule of Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Wonderbra
    baby sun is creepy with its giggling and happy baby-ness.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  20. #45
    Exceptionally crafty! Zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Europe.
    Posts
    4,885
    The first two Oddworld entries (Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus) were such brilliant games, and even though they both received critical acclaim, I dont' think they received the right amount acclaim from the gamers. They are by far the best games I have ever played.

  21. #46
    Not at the table Carlos discodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Modesto, CA (NorCal)
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanCyde View Post
    Underrated? Earthbound.
    Earthbound/Hellbound, not so much underhyped though, i remember the huge box it came in. I belive it was on the cover of Nintendo Power mag, the change in name rukus, $30 strat guide (expensive at the time).... I dont remember any tv spots, a good game nonetheless with cool music.
    ___________________________

    sig limit is 400x150

    "It was once said by a man who couldn't quit...."

  22. #47
    Bored twenty something Dysfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Barnsley, England
    Posts
    98
    over-hyped - Halo 3
    underrated - SNk vs Capcom for the dreamcast
    Browncoat till I die!!!

  23. #48
    The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,997
    Quote Originally Posted by All Seeing Eye View Post
    The only thing you got right about that post was The Evil Dead, Blade Runner, and The Taxi Driver.

    Scarface and Pink Floyd the Wall, Pulp Fiction doesn't qualify. And you know what they say about the debater who is quick to throw insults. Keep it civil.

    Furthermore, just because a movie is a cult hit doesn't mean its underhyped or underrated.
    Scarface, Pink Floyd: The Wall and Pulp Fiction are considered cult classics because YEARS after their release they have received a following. When the movies were first released, they were not exactly box office hits. Yeah, even Scarface.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  24. #49
    sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillbassist View Post
    Scarface, Pink Floyd: The Wall and Pulp Fiction are considered cult classics because YEARS after their release they have received a following. When the movies were first released, they were not exactly box office hits. Yeah, even Scarface.
    Maybe, however SOTN was quite the success when it came out, therefore it doesn't qualify. In fact, all 2D Castlevaina's are commercial successes last time I checked.

    Now Thunderforce V would qualify. Einhander would qualify. Elemental Gearbolt would qualify. Legend of Kain Series would qualify as cult hits.

  25. #50
    professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    far away sky
    Posts
    5,620
    underated: castlevania and legacy of darkness (both for the N64)
    these games... kicks ass.
    not only where they the first attempt to 3D castlevania, but the gameplay is pretty much the same as 2-d castlevanias!
    lots and lots of platforms, fall 3 feet and you will die, no rpg elements and precision was needed for jumping.
    the music, specially in legacy of darkness, was GODLY.
    this games were heavily panned mostly for one VERY simple thing: the camera.
    in CV you couldnt do much about it except choose 3 modes which made little difference and it would sometimes interfere in fights.
    but in LOD, you could change angles and even zoom in and zoom out.
    another fact (which is more underground) was the inclusion of one of the most bizzare enemies in the history of castlevania, no.. im not talking about vampires (a first in CV games), im talking about motorcycle-riding skeletons. the mere fact it was the 1850's and there were motorcycles in it made it very akward, but hey, if people in 1700's believed jesus had green hair (see richter's holy cross in SOTN for more information) why cant there be biker skeletons?
    a personal favorite of mine is that the intro of LOD featured a skeleton so evil he was BEATING A HOUSE THAT WAS ON FIRE, not even dracula was so evil.
    if youre asking which castlevanias are better in 3d, the answer is NONE, castlevanias should always be in 2-d, but the less sucky are definetely the 64 games, because lament of innocence was so boring and the story so bad i traded ir the very day i beated it.
    a very bad start for the belmondo legacy.
    and curse of darkness is a poorly made attempt to make SOTN into 3d but the result was a boring as hell game that made you walk in seemengly endless corridors most of the time.


    underhyped:

    both megaman and megaman x collections for ngc/ps2/xbox/.
    the ultimate and probably last sets of collections of megaman games EVER.

    megaman collection features megaman 1-8 with the inclusion of megaman power battle 1 and 2, which were exclusive to weabooland.
    the gamecube version had the two main buttons switched, which confused some veterans, including myself, but it had a much better main extra than the ps2 version, which was an interview with keiji inafune, creator of megaman.
    the ps2 version had the first episode of that awful megaman cartoon from the 90's and remixed music for some games as optional.
    the xbox version has all the extras the two previous versions have.

    megaman X collection features X1-6, and includes megaman battle and chase, the first (and hopefully only) megaman cart-racing game.
    the two versions (canceled for xbox...yep, the game was THAT underhyped) were near identical except in loading times, favoring the NGC version.

    both collections have their ups and downs, where in my opinion, X collection suffered the most (predominantely: the exclusion of the weaboo voice acting in x6 and the cannon having more chance of NOT hitting the colony)
    the two collections didnt get the attention they deserved, specially X, thats probably why capcom released so few copies of X collection, and has come to be a true collector's item.
    if you ever see the X collection, dont hesitate and GET IT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Companion Cube View Post
    Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon for N64. I cant even count how many times I played this gem through. Seems shabby at first but you really get into it.
    i beg to differ, gambare goemon 64 was one of the best N64 games.
    it had very high ratings and even now there are petitions everywhere to port this game for the wii's VC, i would support them, but i already own it on my 64 (i talk about games i own (or owned, in the case of lament of innocence) only)
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •