Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Whats The Best Horror Movie

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkus View Post
    Please tell me you're not serious? I don't even count that as a horror film, it's just a teen slasher movie. Things are scarier when you don't see them.
    Friday The 13th is certainly a horror film. Whenever you look for it to buy it, read about it, whatever, it's most of the the time of not always in the horror category. Things may be scarier when you don't see them. But that doesn't mean Friday isn't a horror film.

For me...any of the Halloween films except Season Of The Witch or Resurrection.

Exclamation

I'd say Witchfinder General from 1968 .

watched it in a history lesson in high school and it messed me up just a little.

Really effective horror film and I recommend it!

Onion Kid
    My favorite horror film is Creepshow. Easily.

Onion Kid
    Creepshow. Garish colors. Tongue in cheek horror. Fantastic performances and editing. Just plain fun.

Onion Kid
    My fav horror movie is the next one I am going to watch. I keep hoping for an awesome flick, but over and over I'm let down. I'd rather watch 90 minutes of horror movie trailers than what is being made these days. However, I am still going to watch them all at least once.

Nice to see Creepshow named. Good flick. I can't say there is a "best horror film" because there are so many different variations and types but I'm quite a horror junky and my favorite series has always been A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Onion Kid
    "Shining" by Stanley Kubrick.

Onion Kid
    I really like Fright Night

Onion Kid
    An American Werewolf in London

I remember being disturbed by the Vincent Price The Pit and the Pendulum. Might've been the age of the film itself.

Onion Kid
    My favorite horror movie is The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

The Future Is Unwritten Graham Wellington's Avatar

Thumbs up SUSPIRIA

The best horror movie ever made is Dario Argento's Suspiria!
    Code:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/

Shriner
    Tough to pick one;
    but my faves would be

The Exorcist
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Omen
    Alien
    The Thing (82)

Philippians 4:13, and Psalms 139:23-24 Prince Jay's Avatar
    Jaws

I've always like Dracula (1992). Gary Oldman makes a great Dracula. I also like Halloween (1978), Alien, The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity, The Shining and It (both versions).
    "ANIME IS REAL!" - Undyne from Undertale

Wishlist:
    Sailor Moon DiC Music Collection
    Jungle Emperor Leo TV Series OST
    Bambi Complete Score

"Don't Look Now"... remember this one when I was 16. Extremely scary.
    Hic amicitur archa cederis.

Onion Kid
    The Decent - the one with a group of British women going caving was pretty scary

REC - the Spanish film where a reporter is trapped inside an apartment building and encountered zombie like creatures. It's a found footage movie that was very well done.

Banned
    the exorcist

First thing that comes to mind is The Goofy Movie.
    Yes, I like Reno's character quite well. If you don't, that's your problem, not mine.

The Fly (1986 version by Cronenberg).

Aforementioned, Cannibal Holocaust is one film I will never watch again, it made me uncomfortable. It could be considered more exploitation than horror but it unsettled me regardless. Almost any film that's been deemed a classic is pointless to mention and I think almost every post here has mentioned one if not many of them.

I would recommend PIN or The Stepfather, Terry O'Quinn is good in both and they are creepy but not quite scary. Society is an interesting body-horror movie but it is typical 80s cheese too. Full Moon's Subspecies series is entertaining if you like Gothic vampire stories. Rutger Hauer always creeped me out in The Hitcher. A more recent film I enjoyed was American Mary, there's some body horror in that one too. As far as foreign, Polanski's Repulsion or The Tenant, Japan's Freeze Me reminded me of "I Spit on Your Grave", a rape revenge plot.

I wanted to offer up some ones that weren't mentioned and I'm not a gore-hound so most of my choices are psychological. There are so many horror films and sub-genres it's truly hard to pick one or even ten, there are always more being made.

Always love that first Halloween. And it was introduced to me as an adult by a buddy. Wasn't allowed to watch stuff like that as a kid. Just loved the theme and the fact that Michael would just keep coming.
    Jayne Cobb : Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right".

--Serenity

Shriner
    Looks like the overall consensus here is that scary, like beauty and comedy, is in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, I'd like to offer my two cents:

When it comes to vampire flicks, you can't go wrong with the original - F. W. Murnau's 1922 cult classic Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror.

Quote Originally Posted by docterteeth View Post
    Always love that first Halloween. And it was introduced to me as an adult by a buddy. Wasn't allowed to watch stuff like that as a kid. Just loved the theme and the fact that Michael would just keep coming.
    This all the way. Aside from a few cheesy moments the flick still holds up extremely well.

The Shining, Alien, Martyrs, The VVitch, Nosferatu the Vampyre...
    In my End is my Beginning. ⊙