Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ask for recommendations here

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAbortion View Post
    hi all,alright i want to know what animes are worth watching for someone at my age - 21
    and the type of anime id like is that which is considered mature,and i dont mean hentai or perverted or w/e,i mean an anime where showing nudity or someone being killed isnt a huge issue,it can have romance,just let it be something emotional,not an anime revolving around sex,and im tired of all those anime's that are about some school girl or guy that happens to be a "chosen one" and some angel comes to live in his/her house etc.,its so clichë

to let u know what im talking about ,here are the animes that i dig and i think are worth watching,some scenes even many times over :

Elfen Lied,Death Note,Higurashi no naku, Blue Gender,lunar princess tsuhikime,Kara no Kyoukai,Code Geass,Gantz,berserk,Basilisk,Ergo Proxy,Battle angel Alita,Ninja scroll.

i hope u get the gist,the anime doesnt have to have an all happy ending ,like berserk,code geass,elfen lied or tsukihime for example,such anime's really make me think.

thanks for reading all that ;p
    1) Cowboy Bebop

2) Samurai Champloo

3)When the Seaguls Cry is made by the same guys as Higurashi I don't think it's as good as Higurashi but I haven't seen every episode yet.

4) The anthologies Animatrix & Gotham Knight

5) I'd say Neon Genesis Evangelion has both elements of what you discribe as things you do and don't want so it's up to you just make sure you see End of Evangelion after you see the series.

6) Read Or Die maybe

8) I haven't watched Big O in a long while but I do remember liking Roger Smith because not only is he an adult instead of a boy but also a gentleman.

9)I really want to see the Ghost in the Shell movie. Didn't much care for the series but I've heard nothing but good things about the movie.

10) I vaguely remember a movie that was on sci-fi called E.Y.E.S. of Mars, the ending was probably what your looking for but I can't remember anything but the end and don't want to spoil it for you.

If this doesn't help you I'm sure someone else can.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    <3 Guys, take note of this. Tom knows how to talk to the ladies. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo77 View Post
    I think Neg disqualified jesus and love though.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

thanks Tom,il look those up,and btw i've seen neon gen,i was hyped up at the start looking at how soooo many people say it kicked ass,but i just couldnt get to like it because almost every single character in there has some mentality complex,kenji(i think thats the main kid's name?) is an emo fag,the german girl is annoying emo fag(typical my mommy didnt love me back),rei is like some doll,and commander ikari is ur typical stereotype boss guy sitting in his office with his hands tied together and shades in that "thinking position" ,but what killed me was the ending,in the series apparantly there IS no ending,cuz its just some..stuff. and the movie ending made me go "wtf?thats it?seriously?" i think the anime works for people who want to know as much as they can about mental complexities and human psychology.

Read or Die also i have seen 2 eps,it was so-so but im stalling it,cuz its too predictable ; the good guys win the bad guys lose as always,and basically the ending and the begining are the same,just that the world has a few less bad-guys or evil corporations,hell i aint even sure anymore it was long ago i watched it.

il look up the rest,thanks again for ur time and recoms.

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAbortion View Post
    thanks Tom,il look those up,and btw i've seen neon gen,i was hyped up at the start looking at how soooo many people say it kicked ass,but i just couldnt get to like it because almost every single character in there has some mentality complex,kenji(i think thats the main kid's name?) is an emo fag,the german girl is annoying emo fag(typical my mommy didnt love me back),rei is like some doll,and commander ikari is ur typical stereotype boss guy sitting in his office with his hands tied together and shades in that "thinking position" ,but what killed me was the ending,in the series apparantly there IS no ending,cuz its just some..stuff. and the movie ending made me go "wtf?thats it?seriously?" i think the anime works for people who want to know as much as they can about mental complexities and human psychology.

Read or Die also i have seen 2 eps,it was so-so but im stalling it,cuz its too predictable ; the good guys win the bad guys lose as always,and basically the ending and the begining are the same,just that the world has a few less bad-guys or evil corporations,hell i aint even sure anymore it was long ago i watched it.

il look up the rest,thanks again for ur time and recoms.
    If you couldn't get passed that, you missed out because the story gets good, and there is some awesome action too. You lucked out, because the last episode discusses these mental problems head on.

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

Quote Originally Posted by jewess crabcake View Post
    If you couldn't get passed that, you missed out because the story gets good, and there is some awesome action too. You lucked out, because the last episode discusses these mental problems head on.

u talking about neon genesis or read or die?i cant even tell,for the record i watched all of neon gen's eps,sure there may have been some entertaining ones here and there,but it just isnt possible to like the show because it doesnt have anyone to look up to or feel awed,someone who can think of and say "kickass". like for example light/L in death note or Lelouch in CG.
    In neon gen every notable character is a pansie/emo who is running away from their mental fears,such characters invoke disgust,not awe.

I watched Eva last year and having not been to impressed with the bits and pieces of it I saw on Toonami & Adult Swim I had no expectations 1 way or the other. I was merely looking for something to watch during munch time.
    I was thrilled with it. Granted it definitely could have been made better after all, I didn't really understand what the hell exactly happened until I read through the EoE script, and then there's all the clip shows and still frames.

But for me it did something that no other show has done in a while, make me feel for the characters and care about their ultimate doom. It's kind of like Watchmen in the way the main cast aren't "role model heroes" and will probably doom use all but that makes their victories all the more important.
    Sure I hated Shinji most of the time but also felt for him and even if Asuka, Rei, & Misato's fate didn't hang in the balance I still would have wanted him to pull through.

It ain't for everyone and there are some big problems with it here and there but I got something out of it.

P.S.
    I ment the Read Or Die movie not the TV show which I found boring.

Also try michiko to hatchin. It's set in Brazil and is about a sexy black women who was framed for a murder she didn't commit breaking out and kidnapping her Love's illegitimate daughter (which was from another women) and trying to find him so they can be a family. It isn't the greatest end all be all, but it was fun and the end I didn't expect.

Captain Abortion, since you like mature anime I recommend
    Now then here and there
    Gungrave
    Toward the Terra
    Texhnolyze

If you're looking for more philosophical -ish anime
    Kino's Journey
    Mushishi

Those are also very good.
    What is that standing behind you?

For Mangas ill recommend:
    -Alive: The Final Evolution
    -Pokemon Special
    And for anime well see if some of this you may have seen:
    -Mushishi
    -K-On
    -Record of Lodoss War

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Way to not read what the thread is about, dumbass.

Could you recommend an anime that has to do with a fighting school?

I'm looking for a new anime to watch but I'd like the setting to be a type of combat training school--a learning environment but not an ordinary school. Do you know of any animes with the ideas like: training, learning martial arts, a newcomer starting from bottom, competing students, etc. Most of the time the characters already know how to fight but I'd like more of an emphasis on training and learning (kind of like in Kenichi only with more students) The only example that comes to mind at the moment are the few episodes shown of the training academies for Konoha's ninja in Naruto or Bleach's soulreapers. And still those are bad examples since I want more of a fighting school than a force trained to combat a threat. If you know of any anime even remotely like this please let me know.

Soul Eater i think
    Ikkitousen
    Shigurui

Could anyone recommend a good anime with cars or airplanes? Thanks.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Goren
    The only one I can think of for cars is Initial D. I really enjoyed that anime.
    If street racing is your thing... Scratch that. I'm not into street racing but the anime was good.

Excel Saga was recommended to me. Yay or Nay?

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Toonami Tunes View Post
    Excel Saga was recommended to me. Yay or Nay?
    I'd say 'yay'.

Quote Originally Posted by Duona View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good anime with cars or airplanes? Thanks.
    car anime: Intial D and Wangan Midnight.

airplane anime: Yukikaze and Area 88

Goren
    For Excel Saga I go with also a yay.

Onion Kid
    Could anyone recc me a good slice of life/romance anime to watch? I've watched most of the famous/common ones already like ef, clannad, honey & clover, Spice & Wolf etc. Anything would do, as long as it has a good plot lol.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Kanon
    Please Teacher
    Please Twins

Onion Kid
    Ahh I've watched kanon as well. Finished all Key produced anime already. Shall look into the other 2. Thanks for the recc!

Have you seen any of the following

-ARIA
    -Hidamari Sketch
    -Kimi ni Todoke
    -Amagami SS
    -Binbou Shimai Monogatari

If not, I implore you to check these out

-Aria, Binbou Shimai and Hidamari Sketch are mostly slice of life
    -Kimi ni Todoke is pretty much half slice-of-life/romance
    -Amagami SS is mostly romance (done in an interesting dating sim style where you win all the girls!) and the slice of life stuff is pretty fun.

1. Blue Drop
    2. Witchblade
    3. Shuffle
    4. Birdy the Mighty

Those are the three I would recommendation for good story and character interacting.

(Spoil : Blue Drop and Witchblade ending is not for faint hearts)

Knight of the Dark Glyphs Seig Warheit's Avatar
    So is there any badass manly anime this season?

I'm always looking for new ideas. My favourite animes are Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, and Air, with Air being my all-time favourite. Kanon is on my to-watch list, and I plan on watching it once I get my hands on the discs as it appears it's no longer on Funi's youtube channel. >.< While I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic, I'm not looking for one of those this time around (and they are in my top animes). I guess I want something that has the comedy of Ouran or Azumanga, but has the deeper storyline of something like Air, if that makes sense.
    melodies of life

Onion Kid
    I am searching for something similar to Ergo Proxy, but in Steam Punk reality. What could You recommend me?

Quote Originally Posted by pja4 View Post
    I'm looking for a new anime to watch but I'd like the setting to be a type of combat training school--a learning environment but not an ordinary school. Do you know of any animes with the ideas like: training, learning martial arts, a newcomer starting from bottom, competing students, etc. Most of the time the characters already know how to fight but I'd like more of an emphasis on training and learning (kind of like in Kenichi only with more students) The only example that comes to mind at the moment are the few episodes shown of the training academies for Konoha's ninja in Naruto or Bleach's soulreapers. And still those are bad examples since I want more of a fighting school than a force trained to combat a threat. If you know of any anime even remotely like this please let me know.
    You know I've been looking for something like this as well, but have yet to find too much on the subject. Ranma 1/2 has moments like this. The episodes where the main character, Ranma Saotome, is training are some of the best. And it's my favorite anime series, so you could give it a try.

While I haven't watched them myself, you could also try Eyeshield 21 (football, but they train ALOT), Baki the Grappler (martial arts tournament), and Hajime no Ippo (boxing). I've seen Ayane's High Kick, there's also that. And there is a bit of training in One Piece.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalheart View Post
    I'm always looking for new ideas. My favourite animes are Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, and Air, with Air being my all-time favourite. Kanon is on my to-watch list, and I plan on watching it once I get my hands on the discs as it appears it's no longer on Funi's youtube channel. >.< While I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic, I'm not looking for one of those this time around (and they are in my top animes). I guess I want something that has the comedy of Ouran or Azumanga, but has the deeper storyline of something like Air, if that makes sense.
    Clannad. There's two seasons, on Netflix. Definitely worth watching. I also recommend Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances).

If you liked Azumanga Daioh, you'll also like Yotsuba, and Nichijou. You might also like Lucky Star. And as a bonus, if you like cats, Chii's Sweet Home is just plain cute fun.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seig Warheit View Post
    So is there any badass manly anime this season?
    I haven't watched it myself, but Attack on Titan is all the rage right now.

There was also a new Berserk movie that was apparently pretty badass as well (and if you haven't seen the original, watch that as well)
    Are you an older anime fan?
    Do you remember when VHS were $35 each for two episodes?
    Consider joining [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    ...And tell them Ryoran sent you!