Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ask for recommendations here

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    I've seen the vast majority of those. Also, I'm not really interested in movies since I'm looking to fill my downtime at work, which varies wildly from day to day. Also also, if you think something fits the bill, give me a bit of a description about it and tell me what makes it worth my time.

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    I recommend Mushishi. It's a mix of magic and medicine, it's like Miyazaki meets House. It's on Hulu for free streaming.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

Xam'd of The Lost Memories

It's 26 episodes long, animation is fantastic, and Michiru Oshima is the composer. It includes subtle humor, and it's probably my favorite anime.

The drawing style is similar to Miyazaki. One of the characters (Nakiami) is based off of Nausicaa.

(No, it's not centered around fighting. There are very few action sequences)

I also recommend Kure-nai. It's similar to Seirei No Moribito, but shorter, with less darker undertones, and in contemporary times. It's 13 episodes long. The animation and soundtrack isn't up to par with Xam'd, but it's still good. Again it's not revolved around fighting, but it does have a few action sequences.
    What is that standing behind you?

Onion Kid
    Does anyone have the lonesome dove soundtrack?

Probably not, and if anyone posts it in this thread, I will delete it before you can get to it. Now post shit like that where it belongs instead of in random threads that have nothing to do with your request.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    What happened to the newly introduced doors open policy? *raises eyebrows* As per the quote below:

Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    There's never anything wrong with asking questions.
    Anyways:

Quote Originally Posted by Huddog View Post
    Does anyone have the lonesome dove soundtrack?
    Huddog, you're probably better off making a seperate thread in this forum to ask that type of question. This is a thread specifically to do with anything anime movie/show recommendation related. You're probably more likely to receive an answer to your question there. In future though, as a word of well meant advice, I would try to take a little more care when making your posts - as generally it's not appreciated around here very much when members make a habit of posting stuff in the wrong kinds of places.

Questions are fine. Stupidity still irks me though.

Also, I make no effort to be polite to the leechers who aren't concerned with being a part of the community.

Marceline
    I really can't believe I'm doing this, but I'd appreciate a couple suggestions since I've fallen really out of touch with current shows. Here's my criteria:

-Must be fairly unique in themes or characterization. Interesting settings are a plus, but not required.
    -I don't care how old it is. A lot of what I've watched recently and enjoyed are older shows (e.g. Scrapped Princess, Madlax, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid) that I never finished or just ignored before.
    -Nothing longer than a single season.
    -No irritating cliffhanger endings.
    -The weirder or less predictable, the better.

Also, I will ruthlessly mock you if you recommend anything I know to be crap.
    I'll give this a go, Prak. I'm not as in touch with current shows as I'd like to be either, but hopefully I can give you a few good suggestions.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]This isn't what I'd call weird at all, but is a good old fashioned adventure show. I don't consider it super predictable, but it might be easier to follow than what you're looking for. However, it's beautifully animated and has a real Studio Ghibli/older classic anime feel that I think you might enjoy.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.], in contrast, is full of weird, and is pretty wonderful. It has heavy sci-fi and time travel elements. The animation is a bit inconsistent, but it has some great action scenes. An added bonus to this is that it's licensed and available for super cheap on dvd. They also used to air it occasionally on the Sci-fi channel back before the name change.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is a show largely about advanced technology and a virtual world. If pressed to compare it to anything, I'd compare it to Serial Experiments Lain, but it feels a bit more light-hearted and character driven then that. I found the ending to be pretty satisfying.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] will probably seem like a typical mecha anime at first, but it is pretty good at shattering expectations. It's a really unique take on a pretty cliched genre, and I loved the ending.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is probably something you've seen before, but check it out if you haven't. It's a space opera type show and is very well done.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] I know it's pretty standard to just grab the first episode of a series to check it out. With Simoun, I'd recommend grabbing episodes one and two. The first episode is very exposition heavy and is fairly weak in comparison to the rest of the series. It's a sci-fi show in which people are born genderless but appear as female, and choose their gender when they reach adulthood.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is nothing like the other series you mentioned liking, and is recommended because it's just very well written. It's a dark comedy about a hikikomori.

I'd also suggest checking out Noir and El Cazador if you haven't already just because you mentioned you liked Madlax.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    Questions are fine. Stupidity still irks me though.

Also, I make no effort to be polite to the leechers who aren't concerned with being a part of the community.
    Don't actually see how it was a stupid question. Nor how it was a sure sign that that new member wasn't interested in being part of the community. Even if that question did end up in the wrong thread by error. Still, guess your opinon and mine on that differ somewhat. Each to their own.

Haibane Renmei and Mushishi are good choices.
    Mushishi goes well because all episodes are standalone.
    Why do you call me mad when I say what I wish and do what I want? You are the ones deluding yourselves with your ideas of social norms and fear of being yourselves, struggling to become a facsimile of what you presume as 'normal'.

Not quite the type of recommendations this tread is ment for but it's better then starting a whole new thread just for this I guess.

What's the best edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion to buy?

I want the original 26 TV episodes, the handful of director's cut episodes, Death & ReBirth, & End of Evangelion all uncut and in the best Audio Video quality postable.

Several Best Buy's have:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion: Complete Platinum Collection (Limited Edition Holiday Special)

And my Barnes & Nobel has: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection

These seem to be the most resent releases of the series and for some stupid reason D&RB & EoE are out of print right now and probably will be until a Blu Ray release.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    <3 Guys, take note of this. Tom knows how to talk to the ladies. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo77 View Post
    I think Neg disqualified jesus and love though.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    I own this one:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum - Perfect Collection

I think that's the same as your:
    Barnes & Nobel has: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection

I could be wrong, but mine has both versions of a lot of episodes.
    IE: Director's Cut & TV version of some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    I own this one:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum - Perfect Collection

I think that's the same as your:
    Barnes & Nobel has: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection

I could be wrong, but mine has both versions of a lot of episodes.
    IE: Director's Cut & TV version of some of them.

The one you have "Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum: Perfect Collection" comes in a tin, has 7 discs and has the special features.

The one at BnN "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection" looks like it's the same as "Perfect" but comes in a slim pack, has only 6 discs and has no special features.

So are the special features worth it? If all it is are the audio commentaries by the english cast then I would skip it. I enjoyed the english dub but the actors themselves seem like pretty big idiots from the few clips of the commentary that I've heard.

In my version there are extra episodes and version of the such.

I dig having extended episodes myself and the commentary from the English is decent enough - sometimes even funny.

As a huge fan of the series I, personally, like my version.

Insert something witty here---> hexaq's Avatar
    Hmmm, if you viewed lots of animes, i'd recommend you make a account on [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and populate the list of viewed animes.

That will give a clearer image of what you viewed, and how much you liked it and will make giving recommendations easier.

Check my sig for my list
    Mah anime lists:

Quote Originally Posted by hexaq View Post
    Hmmm, if you viewed lots of animes, i'd recommend you make a account on [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and populate the list of viewed animes.

That will give a clearer image of what you viewed, and how much you liked it and will make giving recommendations easier.

Check my sig for my list
    Sounds useful.

Onion Kid
    I've recently finished Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star, currently watching Sora no Otoshimono as it's released. I need something with some action now. I've been thinking about Code Geass... No Bleach or One Piece, I don't have the patience for something that long. One or two seasons, tops. The last action series I watched was Eva, if that helps.

'Desert Punk' has a good some good action; though it can be rather perverted & comedy based.

Code Geass has decent action.

Shikabane Hime has some really nice action in it.

Beautiful Warrior Grenader was ok for that

Blue Gender had some nice fight, though I don't care for the animantion style.

Ultimate Hellsing - nuff said.

Onion Kid
    I have a friend who watched Shikabane Hime. I'll ask him for a second opinion, and if he recommends it, I think I'll go with that. Thanks.

Naruto
    Tarot Cafe
    Dark Metro
    Bleach
    Trinity Blood
    Holic

That's too good.

I'll find the Mother Lode someday.

Your tastes are questionable and you did not read the OP. Don't use this thread to blindly state what you like.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    After watching the first 12 episodes of Record of Lodoss War (though the 12th was missing 8 minutes or so >.<), I've reawakened my anime gene, and I'm after some others to look up.

My taste in anime is all over the board, ranging from Oh! My Goddess and Love Hina, to Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Martian Successor Nadesico to Cyber City OEDO 808 and Genocyber (I have broad range of taste in anime).

I'm after recommendations for any worthwhile anime to look for, though I admit I've got a taste for the fantasy style (Record of Lodoss War, The Twelve Kingdoms), I'm willing to look at other more contemporary titles. In short, I just want to get back into anime again so any recommendations would be helpful.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Marceline

I'm also going to recommend [Hidden link. Register to see links.] to you even though it doesn't sound that much like the shows you've mentioned liking, because it is just pure fun and I want to recommend it to everybody.

I'm guessing you've seen this one already, but if you haven't I highly recommend [Hidden link. Register to see links.] as well.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Thanks Ndi, I'll check them out.

hi all,alright i want to know what animes are worth watching for someone at my age - 21
    and the type of anime id like is that which is considered mature,and i dont mean hentai or perverted or w/e,i mean an anime where showing nudity or someone being killed isnt a huge issue,it can have romance,just let it be something emotional,not an anime revolving around sex,and im tired of all those anime's that are about some school girl or guy that happens to be a "chosen one" and some angel comes to live in his/her house etc.,its so clichë

to let u know what im talking about ,here are the animes that i dig and i think are worth watching,some scenes even many times over :

Elfen Lied,Death Note,Higurashi no naku, Blue Gender,lunar princess tsuhikime,Kara no Kyoukai,Code Geass,Gantz,berserk,Basilisk,Ergo Proxy,Battle angel Alita,Ninja scroll.

i hope u get the gist,the anime doesnt have to have an all happy ending ,like berserk,code geass,elfen lied or tsukihime for example,such anime's really make me think.

thanks for reading all that ;p