Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People stop hurting my Quina!

People stop hurting my Quina!

Why would anyone bitch about this character ? I mean come on, you like Zidane who's supposedly an all-rounder but you think Quina sucks? Why? Quina has utility spells,awesome damage with spells and decent attack damage if you get lucky (unlike vivi,garnet,eiko).On top of that,his hp is very good...It's not by accident that he's implemented in a 4-man team on most guides to beating Ozma...But it's not only combat wise.FFIX is a comedy-game not a drama one like the previous and FFX.Quina certainly supports this mood,his scenes are the funniest,his whole questing purpose is orginal and very funny...And I for one am relieved that finally I meet a strong character that is neither chuck norris,nor some insolent egomaniac bastard nor a hulking superman clad in steel...Quina is ORIGINAL and he makes the race of fat gourmands happy!All cheer for him!

And how exactly do you "own" Quina?

Sig too big

Eeehm I do not own Quina and I am refusing any legal rights over him :P However I feel Quina as a small child (he is,mentally) and wish to protect him ..

Quina is not a male, but of indeterminate gender, so your constant reffering to it as him is wrong in the first place.

Second, blue magic sucks... No seriously, it does. Never been a big fan of it.

Third, Quina doesn't add jack shit to the entire storyline. It would've been exactly the same without it, except for the fact you might've had to look a bit harder for the Gargan Roo entrance.

That's all there's to it, and it simply isen't enough.

Oh, and referring to a Final Fantasy game as a Comedy is... Well... Not too smart around here.
    I will kill you, or you will kill me. It does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Yan
    1000 Needles is pretty good mid-game around the start of the Outer Continent. Frog Drop and Auto-Life are also quite useful throughout the game.
    "All good things on this earth flow into the city."

And I for one am relieved that finally I meet a strong character that is neither chuck norris
    Im curious how you could compare Chuck Norris to Quina. The differences are astronomical.

Second, blue magic sucks... No seriously
    Quoted for Truth. I dont want to be spending every battle trying to weaken enemies just so the fat thing could eat it.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Yeah, 'cause Frog Drop is so incredibly bad. Cheap, easy quad-9's? Who needs 'em? Magic Hammer on Ozma is also lulz. Stop! Hammer time!

Third, Quina doesn't add jack shit to the entire storyline. It would've been exactly the same without it, except for the fact you might've had to look a bit harder for the Gargan Roo entrance.
    Comic relief doesn't count for anything? Or is FFIX just too kiddie for you?
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

I love this thread

Wei Yan, I'd love to see you try and explain why blue magic is shit. It actually some very usefull abilities such as frog drop, mighty guard, white wind, auto life and magic hammer.

Quoted for Truth. I dont want to be spending every battle trying to weaken enemies just so the fat thing could eat it.
    That's the eat ability, not the fucking "blue magic"

However I feel Quina as a small child (he is,mentally) and wish to protect him ..
    Are you Quale?

That's the eat ability, not the fucking "blue magic"
    Yeah but you EAT them to get the magic is the FIRST place. I'm just saying I don't want to run around eating things just so I can get the magic. It isn't worth my time.

Personally, I just love to use Blue Magic. I guess its because I rarely use White Mages in FFIX. And Quina has both spells for attacking and healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus Wraith View Post
    Yeah but you EAT them to get the magic is the FIRST place. I'm just saying I don't want to run around eating things just so I can get the magic. It isn't worth my time.

Then the EAT ability sucks, not blue magic itself. Which is what you implyed by quoting Wei Yan.

Cait Sith all the way

I never even used Quina to be honest.

Then the EAT ability sucks, not blue magic itself. Which is what you implyed by quoting Wei Yan.
    Then my apologies for miscommunicating

Little people? LITTLE PEOPLE!? Octiron's Avatar
    I don't know why anyone would complain about Quina. Aside from its part in the plot, which is mainly comic relief and works really well there, it's a great character to use.

Qus are gourmands and learn by eating so Blue Mage is a natural job for them. I find using Eat to be great fun and the some of the blue magic is actually quite handy as has been pointed out. Furthermore, using a blue mage is a pleasant alternative to the old "fighter, black/white mage" combos every other party ends up being.

Its looks? They fit quite well with the fantasy setting. How are Qus more ridiculous than moogles, chocobos or even the cooks at Alexandria Castle?

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCyde View Post
    Comic relief doesn't count for anything? Or is FFIX just too kiddie for you?
    I'm more of the subtle humor kinda guy, not the make fun of the weird character that wants to eat stuff and speaks bad english humor kinda guy. So Quina didn't add much for me when it comes to comic relief, but that's just my perception.

As for FFIX being too kiddie... Nope? ^^ Though I suppose some would refer to the more cartoonesque atmosphere as kiddie.

Generally, Blue Magic is awesome, but in FFIX it really got the shaft. I mean, VIII had Shockwave Pulsar and Degenerator, VII had Magic Breath... none of the Blue Magic in IX is worth much, unfortunately.

Hell, even X-2 had better Blue Magic than this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak6009 View Post
    Generally, Blue Magic is awesome, but in FFIX it really got the shaft. I mean, VIII had Shockwave Pulsar and Degenerator, VII had Magic Breath... none of the Blue Magic in IX is worth much, unfortunately.

Hell, even X-2 had better Blue Magic than this game.
    Did you even read the thread, or did you just see "Quina" in the title and interpret his/her name as "ITT: post +1?"

As multiple posters have noted, Frog Drop alone makes Quina worth your time. Guaranteed quad-9's for 10 MP? Yeah, that totally sucks...

I'm more of the subtle humor kinda guy, not the make fun of the weird character that wants to eat stuff and speaks bad english humor kinda guy.
    Yeah, Zidane perving on Garnet is totally subtle.

1. Most of Quina's Blue Magic are useless, but not all.
    2. It's fun to acquire all of her/his abilities, at least for me.
    3. People should stop hating on Quina, or turn gay.

ive made my point , so dats it 4 all off u

Ok guys I have not read this thread for a long time but I wish to say a couple of things .. First of all I started this thread NOT having finished the game.I am near the ark boss now and let me say these.. Ok Quina just got the earth shake and bad breath spells.There are great spells at least for now .. His white wind does decent healing and he has many KOs like mustard bomb and lvl5 death.In addition,he is the 3rd highest hp char (after steiner and zidane) and sometimes his attacks deal well over 1.7 k dmg. These stats are quite simply,amazing . But these were not my main arguments to begin with.I love Quina , as I said , because he is not a stereotype hero UNLIKE Chuck Norris and big bad knight-in-silver-armor Steiner ... I hope you get my point now... And as for the whole "my" Quina thing , well just forget about it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Felix999 View Post
    Ok guys I have not read this thread for a long time but I wish to say a couple of things .. First of all I started this thread NOT having finished the game.I am near the ark boss now and let me say these.. Ok Quina just got the earth shake and bad breath spells.There are great spells at least for now .. His white wind does decent healing and he has many KOs like mustard bomb and lvl5 death.In addition,he is the 3rd highest hp char (after steiner and zidane) and sometimes his attacks deal well over 1.7 k dmg. These stats are quite simply,amazing . But these were not my main arguments to begin with.I love Quina , as I said , because he is not a stereotype hero UNLIKE Chuck Norris and big bad knight-in-silver-armor Steiner ... I hope you get my point now... And as for the whole "my" Quina thing , well just forget about it :P
    NEVER!!!

...btw Quina is an "IT"

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCyde View Post
    Yeah, Zidane perving on Garnet is totally subtle.
    I didn't quite see the humor of that either tbh. Maybe I just lack TEH FOONEY.

We do seem to argue alot ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Felix999
    Stuff about Quina
    All you need to know about Quina is Frog Drop=Total Pwnage. Yeah, I'm kinda harping on this, but people apparently don't get it. Frog Drop can guarantee 9999 damage. It costs 10 MP. Steiner's Shock doesn't even guarantee quad-9's, and it costs over 40 MP. Same with Vivi's Flare, unless you play Reflect x2 games.

I didn't quite see the humor of that either tbh. Maybe I just lack TEH FOONEY.
    My point, since you didn't quite see that, either, is that the vast majority of FFIX's humor isn't exactly subtle. Since you didn't find Quina or Zidane/Dagger humorous, what exactly was funny?

We do seem to argue alot ^^
    You call this arguing? Please.

Frop Drop is indeed one kick-ass move. But, a lot of people don't have the patience to catch all of those frogs - I love it, though.