Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People stop hurting my Quina!

Quina is a very strong character but I wouldn't use him/her very much because Steiner can use magic sword when vivi is also battling so I choose Steiner over quina.
    Sorry Player, I'm Noriega crossed with Schwarzenegger
    The orphan maker, orchestrate your fate in a torture chamber

Most people never gave Quina a chance and in fact Quina seems to always make peoples list of "Things I hated most about FFIX". Who can blame them though? First time around I thought Quina was the most useless character to ever be in game. Playing the game again a few years later, older and wiser I actually used Quina on my team most of the time.

Quina's blue magic is actually very powerful if used correctly. If you take the time to eat many of the enemies in an area you can actually gain some very powerful and helpful attacks. I think the first time around people just did not understand Quina's purpose, let's face it her/his character was very minor but with a further look you actually understand what her/his purpose is in the game.

Quina's mission was to gain a larger perspective of the world, to look for new things and taste the foods of the world. Which is exactly what you're supposed to do with Quina. Explore his/her abilities and take the time to learn new things just like Quina takes the time to explore the world and open his/her mind.

It was a statement that people can't judge what they see based on assumptions and only what they see with their two eyes. They need to explore new possibilities and keep an open mind. I think the reason why this was overlooked was because it was TOO simple for people to comprehend. But I thought that was the greatest point about Quina, she wasn't overcomplicated, or some sappy storyline thrown in just to get sympathy. It was simple and to the point. Even at the beginning Quina's mentor even says something the lines of "Quina you need to go out in the world and explore. There are things beyond this swamp. Gain a better perspective of the world." Not the exact quote but I think I got the message down right. Quina's quote is even "I do what I want! You have problem?!". She represented the ignorance of the world, and her mission was to eliminate that ignorant by re-evaluating the world through exploring it.

So in conclusion there was certainly a purpose to Quina's character. it was certainly there, it's just that people didn't get it.

I found him/her very helpful. Especially early on, by gaining White Wind in Qu's Marsh. It's a full party Regen.

Really helped with a lot of bosses.

She made me laugh. That's purpose enough, along with her goal in exploration of foods, etc...
    "I know we're retreating, but we're still victorious"

- Reno the Turk

Shriner
    White Wind does not cast regen, it restores hp to a certain amount apparently determined by Quina's hp. furthermore, White Wind can be obtained as early as Cleyra where you can find the infamous Zu bird. eat that to obtain white wind. also note that carrion worm in Cleyra trunk gives Auto-Life to Quina if eaten.

Another thing, Reis' Wind (Freya) casts a party regen obtainable before fighting Beatrix in Burmecia.

Note that Quina is the first character of 8 to reach 9999 damage early in the game, as early as disc 1!! this is followed by Freya then Zidane

Another note to add that Quina is the only blue mage throughout every final fantasy series where they do not have to be hit to learn the magic and furthermore Quina is one of very few in the series to obtain all blue magic without any being one-timers (as in if you defeat a monster and it has the skill and you didnt get it, you can never ever get it again! ever!) or any being extremely high level to obtain that magic! you go Quina!

Quote Originally Posted by vorvel View Post
    White Wind does not cast regen, it restores hp to a certain amount apparently determined by Quina's hp. furthermore, White Wind can be obtained as early as Cleyra where you can find the infamous Zu bird. eat that to obtain white wind. also note that carrion worm in Cleyra trunk gives Auto-Life to Quina if eaten.

Another thing, Reis' Wind (Freya) casts a party regen obtainable before fighting Beatrix in Burmecia.

Note that Quina is the first character of 8 to reach 9999 damage early in the game, as early as disc 1!! this is followed by Freya then Zidane

Another note to add that Quina is the only blue mage throughout every final fantasy series where they do not have to be hit to learn the magic and furthermore Quina is one of very few in the series to obtain all blue magic without any being one-timers (as in if you defeat a monster and it has the skill and you didnt get it, you can never ever get it again! ever!) or any being extremely high level to obtain that magic! you go Quina!

Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for the correction.

A weapon of righteousness Ngrplz's Avatar
    FFIX is a comedy? LOL

~Forever known as Purrr~

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngrplz View Post
    FFIX is a comedy? LOL
    Well it isn't a tragedy...
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

It's not a comedy though.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Only if you don't know the literary term, as opposed to its 'modern' butchering.

Onion Kid
    I really want to use quina...but its so annoying when i keep using blue magic and all i get is miss....

how the hell do you miss with aqua rake???? its a freakin elemental magic spell!

sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    I never took Quina seriously. I have played with him/her and realized with work, the character can become quite powerful. However, that's the truth with all the characters in the game, not just Quina. Quit frankly, I enjoyed having Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, and other characters in my party more then him/her. To me, the character was just comedy relief filler, just like Cat Sith.

Onion Kid
    well my question still stands...how come you miss most of the time when using aqua rake?

Shriner
    Aqua Breath hits all enemy targets and its chance to deal damage is 50%. Aqua Breath also reduces thier hp by a certain percentage.

Vladimir Draconis
    Alright, I know nobody has been looking at this for a long time, but I thought I'd read through ALL of the forums, and just incase someone does decide to read this they'll know.. It DOES say Whether or not Quina is a male or a female IN the game. BUT you have to do a certain side-quest before it tells you.. You also have to get ALL of his Blue Magic abilities BEFORE you get to that part. I could tell you what he is, but I'm going to be an ass about it. I'm going to let you guys find out for YOURSELF. Nobdoy woudl believe me even if I told you.
    To be honest, Quina was one of my favorite characters, a little ignorant, but all the characters had their bad points. Dagger was a bitch(Her REAL name was also listed in the game.. ti wasn't Garnet), Amarant was arrogant, Zidane was a player, Steiner was a fucking moron, Vivi was too cute, Freya I never used enough to point out a bad thing about and Eiko was too fucking sensitive. And as whoever it was that was talking about "some people not having the patience to catch all of the frogs", well, they need to fucking learn the patience and no better way to practice it than by doing something that you find very frustrating.

Death_For_Romance, DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN FIGHT THE CHEESE WEAPON IN FFVII?

I came, I saw, I levelled up. FF1WithAllThieves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Death_For_Romance View Post
    Alright, I know nobody has been looking at this for a long time, but I thought I'd read through ALL of the forums, and just incase someone does decide to read this they'll know.. It DOES say Whether or not Quina is a male or a female IN the game. BUT you have to do a certain side-quest before it tells you.. You also have to get ALL of his Blue Magic abilities BEFORE you get to that part. I could tell you what he is, but I'm going to be an ass about it. I'm going to let you guys find out for YOURSELF. Nobdoy woudl believe me even if I told you.
    To be honest, Quina was one of my favorite characters, a little ignorant, but all the characters had their bad points. Dagger was a bitch(Her REAL name was also listed in the game.. ti wasn't Garnet), Amarant was arrogant, Zidane was a player, Steiner was a fucking moron, Vivi was too cute, Freya I never used enough to point out a bad thing about and Eiko was too fucking sensitive. And as whoever it was that was talking about "some people not having the patience to catch all of the frogs", well, they need to fucking learn the patience and no better way to practice it than by doing something that you find very frustrating.
    Concealing fail. Also, coherence? You should give it a try sometime.
    Johannes Brahms is God.

What ever happened to the spoiler option?...

[01:45] < NeigHeil > Hawkeye speak. or what I just said in the thread makes me look stupid
    [01:45] * Hawkeye_1138 has quit (Connection reset by peer)
    [01:46] < NeigHeil > god fucking dammit
    The [Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active again(aka come by and put in your two cents)...current edition: Best weapons, armors, and accessories...

all characters are good in the way they sum more variety that was interesting in ff9, like if all characters will be equal would be boring, so the variety of different characters not just mentally also physically makes it interesting