Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evangelion is the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

Onion Kid

Unhappy Evangelion is the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

It's been days since I finished watching all the Evangelion episodes and movies, and I'm still depressed. Don't feel like talking to anyone, don't feel like eating, going out, playing videogames, nothing.

I'll take that as a kindness. KaMoDiAn's Avatar
    'Da frell!?? Cheer the frack up! Say no to emo! lulz!
    Z

I think a crow killed him... JoeBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by synce
    Quote Originally Posted by synce View Post
    It's been days since I finished watching all the Evangelion episodes and movies, and I'm still depressed. Don't feel like talking to anyone, don't feel like eating, going out, playing videogames, nothing.
    You registered just to say that?
    Lol, just get over it. Some anime may leave you depressed, but then you realize it's a drawing that has been entirely made up, and you get on with life.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

see. that's why people should never make evangelion their first anime. you should get into dbz first or sailor moon. naruto or bleach. these anime give hope at one point or another to pull through tough situations. these translate to not cutting yourself irl.

but eva? no no. that's too advanced for you young whipper snappers. people who aren't ready for it are most likely to end their lives for lack of enough anime experience.

might i recommend pokemon the anime? very good. and full of hopes and dreams.

I forgot i had imageshack. >.< all this time i had a red x. lol

Onion Kid
    I'm 19 and this isn't my first anime (in fact I've known about it since I was a kid). Eva's definitely the most depressing thing I've ever seen though, anime or non. Anyway I made the post to hopefully spur some Eva discussion, but you guys apparently have some sort of superiority complex, so I'll take the topic elsewhere

Is it really that bad? I never saw the ending to that series--or any movies. My interest tried to keep it, but I always wound up changing the channel to something else or playing a video game.

I've heard that Shinji became a non-well liked character.

Perhaps I should go youtube it...
    I was still a teenager myself but never treated like one. When you are a genius, you are by no means treated like a commoner.

-Uchiha Itachi (Excerpt from 'The True Prodigy' Fan Fiction)

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    I'm 19 and this isn't my first anime (in fact I've known about it since I was a kid). Eva's definitely the most depressing thing I've ever seen though, anime or non. Anyway I made the post to hopefully spur some Eva discussion, but you guys apparently have some sort of superiority complex, so I'll take the topic elsewhere
    While I do agree that these guys were being cunts, half the blame is yours. Nothing in your post indicates a desire for discussion or sets a direction for it. All you did was post a thread saying "Eva made me depressed."

I'm going to leave this open so anyone who actually wants to seriously discuss the show can post in it, but the bullshit ends now. Either make something of the thread or let it die.

lol. kill my fun why dont ya! hmph!

so how bout them new movies? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tact View Post
    lol. kill my fun why dont ya! hmph!

so how bout them new movies? lol
    the new movieS? How many are there? I know that there was an announcement (or maybe a rumour that has now been conformed) about the live action movie.

All I can say about the continual revival of this series is... say hello to another decade of expensive merchandise.

There are 3 new movies being made, the last being comprised of two distinct section similar to Death and Rebirth (although both parts will feature original material rather then one being a re-cap). The movies serve as a retelling of the original series while changing a few plot points. In other words it's not really a must see for anyone but Evangelion fans.

I can never do NUTHING!!! Vastalis's Avatar
    OH GOD!!!

I still don't understand how people can like this Anime - Then again, there's people who love Prince of Tennis

As most people have said, this is a bad Anime to start with.
    Depending on how you want to get into Anime, you can either be a regular fan or a true connoisseur

A regular fan starts by watching the stuff on TV, and will make those anime the staple of comparison to all other anime titles from then on. There's nothing wrong with that except for the fact that the anime chosen for TV are the polished titles that are chosen for their instant popularity factors - i.e: character cuteness/coolness, similar story elements, etc...

A connoisseur tends to start with either classics, diamond-in-the-rough, or new releases, and builds from there.
    Classics allow you to see the progression of anime from the past till now. Classics are hard to get into since animes have evolved dramatically. It's an acquired taste, but will let you appreciate todays animes even more.
    Diamond-in-the-Rough titles are the anime that aren't so popular because of their crappy animation or hero/villians, but tend to have good plots. You've got to look for these.
    New Releases speak for themselves.

Either way go about it, it's an expensive hobby to keep up with. I used to be a connoisseur, but stopped when the "popular" animes became cookie cutters for dozens of copycats - some good, most bad. Now I'm just a regular fan and very picky about what I buy.
    Who has the best record in Baseball? The Dodgers!!!
    Henry Rollins

A Real American Hero!

Here's a cool Flash movie about the Aztec God [Hidden link. Register to see links.]!

I wouldn't put eva in the same class with Prince of Tennis. Though I do agree the initial small cult following has turned into an overblown fanbase community, I do not agree it's a bad show.

I tend to watch them as they come; usually trying to pick up two or three new shows every quarter season.

eva in same league with prince of tennis? that is just outrageous! prince of tennis is like one of those anime that charaters gets stonger by getting into tough situation, whereas eva is more deep with emotions and shows more details of the characters' emotion with graphics in more reallistic ways. and the details of damaged objects are really great. plus eva not exactly the best anime to start with (as said above) because eva is quite different than some of the classical fight-and-get-tougher stuff.
    while, prince of tennis seemed to be quite realistical at first, using techniques that are actually possible in real life (although it made the skills more extreme than it is) near the end, it started to get really unrealistic like (not sure how to say in eng) tezuka zone?( all the hit tennis balls are directed toward tezuka no matter what..), Ryoma's drive-A, tornado smash?. those are just wtf.

also i do agree that eva is somewhat depressing, but compared to really depressing anime......its not that depressing to make you skip everything.
    if you want to get less depressed by those kinds of anime, the only way is to watch more depressing anime to get used to the depressing emotion i think lol

i suggest ef - a tale of memories, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and Air.

lots of people said they found Air really romantic.....so not true for me.

if you havent watched it, that will really get you depressed.

why? well... the main character gives his life to save someone! not like dying but kind of pass on the life force should i say? and they die a couple of times?
    i cant even remember how weird and depressing that was.
    air gotta be the most depressing anime i watched.

if anyone want to get cheered up from depression, i really really strongly suggest :Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (aka: Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi) and Ouran Highschool Host Club.
    these two are just non stop laughs.

ps: prak// you're quite right so i gave 3 quite depressing animes

Vincentre// Shinji was non-likable ass from the start and he gets more rational/active near the end (still messed up character no matte what)

synce// 19 and depressed with eva... you need to get out and see the world around you. marriage split up with children not knowing who to live with, people you know dying...if these happened in an anime, it would be like a ten sec to minute long flashback, but in real life, it stays with you forever. try living with that.

I. . .am. . .the. . .GRAEYSTONE! Graeystone's Avatar
    If you want an 'Eva Epic' that isn't 'Eva', I recommend Noein.

Eva rip #2432-
    "Eva is like Macross on a really, REALLY bad acid trip!"
    AOL chatroom survivor, ex-forum moderator, former IRC Operator. . .bring it on punks!

If it really depressed you, then you could still become emo or something like that xD

Ionnoo~. Haibane Renmai pulled my heartstrings in wonderfully terrible ways. (course I never saw eva... <.< so I couldn't really compare).

Strongest right arm in all of Eternia Tsukanda's Avatar
    I always found Eva to be tremendously uplifting. "At least you're not Shinji."
    They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life.

I'm 19 and this isn't my first anime (in fact I've known about it since I was a kid). Eva's definitely the most depressing thing I've ever seen though, anime or non.
    lul, imo evangelion isnt so depresing, more like dramatic/confusing/strange, but not depresing
    End episode of Berserk - thats depressing - try it out : D
    and if u whant something more, try "requiem for a dream" in non-anime : D

cheer up dude, there is lot of things that you should be happy of. : D

Workin' for the city! Bus Driver's Avatar
    The ending to the series didn't leave me depressed, I actually found it to be a bit uplifting. Although it took me some time to figure out what the bloody hell had just taken place.

As for the movie, End of Eva, yeah that's a depression-fest for you. Best bet is to crank up some happy tunes and move on.

End episode of Berserk - thats depressing - try it out : D
    I was going to say that dammit! But seriously, the ending to Berserk is pretty fudged up.
    "This is where I'm supposed to say something to catch your attention" - Bus Driver

Damn your shenanigans! - Bus Driver

Onion Kid
    My friends worn me about Berserk...I didn't listen. Now I wished I never saw it. It started good then the story went to hell in like 2 episodes...literally.
    All your base are belong to us!!

Um a bit drastic much to sacrifice your health over ficitional characters? lol

Gosh I was sad for Rei Ayanami, but I didn't go that far lol XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bus Driver View Post
    The ending to the series didn't leave me depressed, I actually found it to be a bit uplifting. Although it took me some time to figure out what the bloody hell had just taken place.

As for the movie, End of Eva, yeah that's a depression-fest for you. Best bet is to crank up some happy tunes and move on.

I was going to say that dammit! But seriously, the ending to Berserk is pretty fudged up.
    I just watched Evangelion and the movies.

I am not depressed though I am not exactly sure what exactly went on in the last two episodes.

Anyone care to explain it?
    honk honk

dante
    even so i still like animes

I missed the last episode. im still mad about that.

EDIT:

I got the platnium addition and finished last night.
    It really is one of the most depreasing things I've ever watched.
    Afterwards I didn't feel like I wanted to continue living,
    And It made think myself into some odd depressive state.
    I need to whatch it again.
    I still have unanswered questions

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    From what I've seen of this series, which is only the first seven episodes, all I can bring myself to feel about it right now is indifferent.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not assuming at this point it's a bad series or anything. And possibly my expectations are too high at this stage. But is it just me in thinking this show starts off at a snails pace? So far, the plot doesn't seem to be going anywhere. And while I'm sure it must pick up at some point, the wait seems unnecessarily long.
    Dr Crane isn't here right now, but if you'd like to make an appointment....