View Poll Results: Who should take the end it all FFS champ title?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nobuo Uematsu

29 45.31%
  • Yoko Kanno

35 54.69%
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Uematsu vs Yoko Kanno[poll]

When I give signal, DO NOT CEASE FIRE! "Aye m8!"

Uematsu vs Kanno[poll]

Here you have two very talented artists, very diverse. I like them both, but I was curious as to which one you all liked. This poll is an end it all as to which is better... so let the games begin.

Vote Kanno

If you zip files and not folders, I hate you. Lodestar's Avatar
    This is going to be ridiculously one-sided. Despite the Uematsu fanboys present on this board, Kanno is clearly better, has more versatility, a larger discography covering more genres and just better music. I like Uematsu, but Kanno is in a totally different league.

It's a pretty bad poll anyway because of the subjective nature of judging music, so I'm just going to end this post with an IMO and be on my merry way.

(IMO)

Life for Final Fantasy FainaruFantaji's Avatar
    I just voted for what I like more, FF and anime stuff didn`t changed anything here, I just like Uematsu more.

who the fuck is yoko ono
    For relaxing times, make it [Hidden link. Register to see links.] time.

匪天 (pr3y : pr4y) = symph0ny {k3yb04rd + El3c. Gu1t Orie's Avatar
    It's Yoko Kanno
    Orie Ayane

"over more then 55 000 Musical Tombs Raided.
    Just a handful of unknown more Musical Tombs on the wait!"

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    PLEASE, NO LOSSLESS QUESTIONS!

Kanno's better. Uematsu's a simpler type of artist. Im not a huge hater or lover of either. Though I do find them both over rated.

I've always liked Uematsu's music but I'm not too familiar to Kanno; could someone possibly drop me some links to this composer's music? Based on the votes so far it looks like Kanno is a really good composer.

No vote just yet.

Voted Kanno. The Escaflowne soundtrack pretty much sums up her awesomeness. 8D

Escaflowne huh. Well then I guess that I do know a little about this artist considering that I have both Escaflowne Original Soundtracks in FLAC [lossless]. Any other music by her that goes recommended?

Cowboy Bebop, Nobunaga's Ambition, Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain, and Macross Plus are all good works by Yoko Kanno.

Also, I agree with whoever said that Nobuo is overrated, but at least Kanno is an extremely talented and versatile composer that deserves whatever praise she gets. Not to say that Uematsu doesn't deserve any, but the amount of people who cockride that guy is amazing, even going as far as to say he's the best composer that ever lived.

I expected it to be a landslide decision but it seems pretty even. Then again, you have people voting for Nobuo just because they don't know who the other is.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    I voted Uematsu solely to antagonize Lodestar.
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

Grand Shriner
    we have deduct one vote than.

I dont like the character of Yoko Kano , and I also dont like her work. That about sums it up . Nobuo has made better compositions . He is by far better .

The Key of Destiny
    Going strictly by the # of songs I like by each of these artists, Nobou has my vote.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ness757 View Post
    Going strictly by the # of songs I like by each of these artists, Nobou has my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by MorgothErmis View Post
    I dont like the character of Yoko Kano , and I also dont like her work. That about sums it up . Nobuo has made better compositions . He is by far better .
    You didn't even know who the fuck Yoko Kanno was 5 minutes ago.

GTFO. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
    You didn't even know who the fuck Yoko Kanno was 5 minutes ago.

GTFO. Thanks.
    lmao, dope.

Grand Shriner
    Uematsu is a musical genius, imo. HOWEVER, Kanno is a musical goddess. Her array of musical styles is broader, and each style she writes for is great. She has made the most out of place fusions. Player (from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society) is a fusion of electronica, r&b, and hip-hop. Her orchestral works are more developed and prominent than Uematsu's, too. So I say she's got Uematsu beat just for the simple fact that she's had a better track record.

But really when all is said and done, this is comparing apples to oranges. Uematsu is a game composer with one of the best music legacies in vgm. Kanno is a film and anime composer who has had one of the best music legacies in anime. Both are the top of their respective industries. If I could choose both, but as I had stated above Kanno has more points to the score board in terms of musical achievement.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Holy fucking roffle @ Uematsu winning. I had no idea so many people were that retarded.

Grand Shriner
    seriously. Kanno is infinetly more diverse and talented.

what the fuck is wrong with you people?

They are both legendary in my opinion. Although Kanno has covered a more diverse range of genres and medias, I voted for Uematsu because I find he has composed more memorable pieces.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by MorgothErmis View Post
    You should probably check out her work then.

I personally feel that Nobou's best works are way behind him; I just haven't found anything that great from him since FF9, but hey I don't really know anything else he's put out since FF12.

Why do I have the odd feeling people here have a bunch of songs by her, but don't realize who she is?

Hitoshi Sakimoto composed the music for FFXII, I think Nobuo only did the theme. As for his recent works, yes, they are crap. IE: Blue Dragon.

I personally don't see the hype, FFX will prove that he can easily be matched by Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano, who I actually prefer over Uematsu.

I'd like to use the "well, he's composed a lot of music" card as an excuse for depreciating quality, but Kanno has composed just as much, if not more than Uematsu. I think the problem is that Uematsu has pigeon-holed himself into the VGM music "genre" and is exhausting his musical prowess due to not exploring other forms of music. Simple as that.

Onion Kid
    I havn't listened to much of this Nobuo Uematsu guy (not being a ff fan) but it's got nothing on Yoko Kanno imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
    I think the problem is that Uematsu has pigeon-holed himself into the VGM music "genre"
    Is there a VGM genre anymore?