Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Thread: When do you think Final Fantasy will finally end?

Grand Shriner
    I think the obvious answer to this question is 'When Square Enix have another huge franchise that they feel will do better than FF, and would therefore rather divert the money to'.

Because to end the series any sooner would be utterly bizarre and self destructive from a business point of view. They generate such huge sums of money from Final Fantasy, and its still one of the only truly global gaming franchises, that there simply isn't any sense in them ending it. Even if interest completely collapsed in the West (which it shows no sign of doing, as both FF13 and 13-2 have been hugely sucessful, moving copies by the shipload), it would still be worth their while so long as their home Eastern markets hold up (and their popularity has never dipped over there).

So like all the other big franchises, it will continue to run and run and run. Franchises that have ever been sucessful never really end. They may skip a few generations from time to time, but they always come back in the end (Prince of Persia, Deus Ex, and even Kid Icarus just flapped his way back into town etc etc). I can't really think of any really huge franchises that have definitively ended. It just makes too much sense to keep bringing them back from a purely business point of view, with reimaginings and reboots etc etc.

Most franchises have a break from time to time, but then again, FF games are (usually) not direct sequels and aren't even in the same worlds, have differen't characters and different systems.

Not quite sure I agree.
    The last Grandia game was flop, the last Breathe of Fire game was a flop.No sign of any new versions of those games/series on the horizon.
    Its been a while since any new Suikoden game as well.
    Some franchises are in trouble and there doesn't seem to be any inspiration out there to revive them imo.

As for FF it's obviously going downhill.I do challenge the notion that FFXIII and XIII-2 were successful. Copies made don't necessarily equate to sales.

I did find a few figures and will post more when I have the time:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Yeah; Grandia, Breath of Fire and Suikoden never were as big as FF.

Suikoden was always an Underground Series. Same as BoF.

What suprises me is that there's no announcement for FFXV. And yeah, I agree that I'm not hearing anything about XIII-2.

Kingdom Hearts is Replacing FF in Square-Enix IMO.

That's all that I can say.

Here's a Thread that I made that covers this situation.

V for Valhalla

Grand Shriner
    Suikoden 4 was a piece of shit too,that didn't help.
    Suikoden 5 was a little better,but people are still pissed about suikoden 4,and its linear levels with stuff crammed in.

I heard bad things about the third intro of the parasite eve:The third birthday.Some complaints like:Its more action than survival horror rpg,and you now control multiple characters at a time.There seems to be a lot of action involved,and shooting.

I'm not convinced,so i'm not buying it.There are bound to be people who hate all games.

Parasite Eve sucks ever since the sequel of the Original.

People had some faith on The 3rd Birthday(Including myself), because it has some more people of the Original team involved. Such us the Music department. And it wasn't going to follow the line of story that PE2 presented but made an alterate story with the same characters involved.

But still they made things even worse when they involved time travelling into the Plot, and completely killing the strength of spirit that the character of Aya had and was turned into another angsty character and that really fucking pissed me off. The gameplay since fairly fun though.

But the sheer disgust to see that franchise go into a complete irredeemable betrayal made me mad and sad, so I couldn't get over it.

Sure PE2 although as disgusting as the storyline was, it had some pretty interesting elements, but those were introduced in the last part of the game and they didn't worked at all.

Grand Shriner
    I disagree.

I thought that the actual element was compelling because of the survival horror.It was a bit on the hard side,but it was creepy at times,and worked really well.

They can just sell Prada and stop making games altogether:

rotfl....

I do agree about Parasite Eve.I think it'll be along time before we see another of those games.

more :

Grand Shriner
    Angry did you play FFXIII-2?

I'm too lazy to go read through 16 pages, but I think it should be mentioned that, along with the complete overhaul of the classic Final Fantasy games, one of the most important things for this issue is that the old school Final Fantasy gamers are adults now and don't have the time, motivation, or interest in playing the new FF games. Before people tell me how they played all the old games and are still playing, just consider that the first FF game came out in 1987, so those who were old enough to play it when it came out are in their thirties. Even the generation younger than them, who got into Final Fantasy through FFVII and VIII are in their twenties. True, the gaming age is pretty high, but I doubt the audience feels the same connection to teenage characters as they once did. I doubt S-E will have trouble selling new installments under the name of one of the biggest gaming franchises, but I know many people my age who are just not interested anymore. Maybe that's a factor of the direction they've been heading, or maybe it's because of our age, but regardless, as long as they keep churning out games that are middle of the road (which by FF standards equates to disappointing to older fans), they're going to be losing to part of their audience. Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982_tarheels View Post
    Reddas is the guy who got his brains blown out by Travolta in the backseat of Jules' car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRay View Post
    Oh, now i get it...

Your Posts aren't meant to be ironic... You actually think you're funny....
    I fucking hate FFShrine.

Grand Shriner
    Perhaps that is true olde,for i am no longer interested in teenage characters.

According to some:I shouldn't even be playing videogames by 30.

Shriner
    The day before I strangle myself with a USB connector. :P

I think it would take the death of either the whole genre or the whole medium, or of Squeenix (which to be fair, they've nearly done before)-- although at that point maybe the Gooch would buy up the rights to his creation and release new ones through Mistwalker.
    I mean, when does any long running franchise ever really end? It happens in some media like television, where key components like actors leave, but in the absence of anything fixed like that the franchise is never really dead until the company and/or format is, and maybe not even then. Do you think they'll ever stop making Star Trek stuff? Doctor Who? Mario? James Bond? Freakin' Pokemon ( *shudder* ) ?
    And for the people hating on the series right now and seeing its potential immortality as a bad thing, I would ask you to consider that as long as it's around it has just as much chance to become what you want it to be again as it does to remain something you dislike, if not more. Different people take creative control over time, trends change, etc. So just assess each entry individually and ignore the branding... doing so might even make you less judgmental of something that you are using the name of as a measuring stick.
    Soundtracks I'm Looking For:
    La Cava Productions- music from [adult swim]'s Rock Paper Scissors Extreme Deathmatch
    almost everything by Eminence Symphony Orchestra
    Warriors:Legends of Troy full soundtrack gamerip

I think you bring up some very good points. We have to take a step back and recognize that franchises change dramatically and, so long as there's still an audience for it (or a new potential audience, as in the recent Star Trek movie), there will be business ventures that capitalize on said audiences. Even if Square-Enix goes under, I can imagine a new company buying the rights to FF and taking it in either a new direction or back to the old-school days (perhaps even with the 2D graphics and NES sprites).

What is Final Fantasy? Is it more than a name, a logo, a company, a style, a genre, a plot, a medium? Will there be an audience for Final Fantasy in the distant future? Will there be a period when people stop caring about JRPGs or will it see a revival? Will the company see a drastic increase or decrease in sales? We don't give ourselves enough credit in determining the future of this franchise: the control is in our hands based on the sales figures. If we express interest, they'll keep producing. If we stop buying, they'll stop producing. Right now (as I see it), it seems as though S-E is appealing to a more Japanese style than a more universal appeal, which is dictated by the number of fans, the sales figures, and the amount of positive reviews from Japan. It's possible that S-E will take the franchise to entirely different areas that cater more towards this specific culture or lifestyle. Will it still be Final Fantasy if they tack the name on at the end? That's for all Final Fantasy fans to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by geekquatch View Post
    I mean, when does any long running franchise ever really end? It happens in some media like television, where key components like actors leave, but in the absence of anything fixed like that the franchise is never really dead until the company and/or format is, and maybe not even then. Do you think they'll ever stop making Star Trek stuff? Doctor Who? Mario? James Bond? Freakin' Pokemon ( *shudder* )?
    The problem is that, with the exception of Mario, all that other stuff has much more presence. Star Trek, Doctor Who, James Bond, and Pokemon have movies and/or TV shows as well as video games, which also bring in more fans. While Final Fantasy did make a movie, it was a bust and didn't win any converts. So while your point is well taken, On top of that, there is continuity between them: we're not presented with an entirely new world, entirely new characters, or an entirely new style in each installment of those franchises (James Bond always has gadgets, Star Trek always has space flight, Pokemon always has pokemon battles and catching, etc.). There's consistency. Final Fantasy lacks that consistency because each game is different from every other game. That's probably why they've begun to make sequels (FFX-2, FFXIII-2, FFXII Revenant Wings, Advent Children, Crisis Core, etc.) so that they can better give a lasting impact to the worlds they create. So while your point is well taken, the examples you refer to are markedly different than Final Fantasy, a pretty much strict video game venture that doesn't have a lot of consistency between the installments.

Grand Shriner
    That and the rigidity may have to do with having to decide between full gameplay,and full cgi cutscenes.With the amount of cutscenes they have in their newest entries,it is no wonder why games have become interactive movies.

I personally think that this is a step backwards in some ways.They did fix some problems in FFXIII-2,so i can't really say when the franchise will end.Maybe the next game will be better in my eyes,and i will love it to death,who knows.
    They are probably one of the japanese companies who do the best in business.Final fantasy is a big box office hit.

I don't know how accurate these are.It says that ff7 sold 10 million copies,while there has been a steady decrease ever since ff8,and ff9 is when the sales went down to about 5 million and up.
    Says that FF9 sold 5.31 million copies,while FFXI sold 6.6 million copies.And FFXIII is supposedly the lowest of all sales,with only 2.89 million copies.(Ouch)

Shriner
    The problem is that, with the exception of Mario, all that other stuff has much more presence. Star Trek, Doctor Who, James Bond, and Pokemon have movies and/or TV shows as well as video games, which also bring in more fans. While Final Fantasy did make a movie, it was a bust and didn't win any converts. So while your point is well taken, On top of that, there is continuity between them: we're not presented with an entirely new world, entirely new characters, or an entirely new style in each installment of those franchises (James Bond always has gadgets, Star Trek always has space flight, Pokemon always has pokemon battles and catching, etc.). There's consistency. Final Fantasy lacks that consistency because each game is different from every other game. That's probably why they've begun to make sequels (FFX-2, FFXIII-2, FFXII Revenant Wings, Advent Children, Crisis Core, etc.) so that they can better give a lasting impact to the worlds they create. So while your point is well taken, the examples you refer to are markedly different than Final Fantasy, a pretty much strict video game venture that doesn't have a lot of consistency between the installments.
    True, a poor choice of examples on my part. One more apt example would be various anthology series. The Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits both have had multiple remakes/relaunches, novel series, comics, and even a movie in Twilight Zone's case, while generally having no connections between episodes. As for the multimedia aspects, it should be noted that, as much as we'd like to forget them, Mario had an animated series and a live-action movie, and Final Fantasy has spawned two anime films/ovas and an anime series in addition to the two cgi movies, not to mention the variety of merchandise released in Japan that never makes it to the west (card games, the countless soundtracks and spin-off cds, collectibles, beverages, etc.).

I suspect that any restraint in multimedia spread for FF (and Mario) is that they started as videogames, which are only recently seeing appreciation in the mainstream as an artform. It's easier for something that starts as a book or film or tv show or even a comic to branch into other areas than it has been for videogames.

I don't know how accurate these are.It says that ff7 sold 10 million copies,while there has been a steady decrease ever since ff8,and ff9 is when the sales went down to about 5 million and up.
    Says that FF9 sold 5.31 million copies,while FFXI sold 6.6 million copies.And FFXIII is supposedly the lowest of all sales,with only 2.89 million copies.(Ouch)
    There's probably truth in the overall sales decline, though keep in mind that the numbers are affected by the spread of piracy (though I think that probably makes much less of a dent in videogames than it does for the film and music industries) and the nosedive of the economy in the past decade.

I personally have not had much issue with FF13 so far (behind the times, I only recently got it and only just finished chapter 11). I have enjoyed what they did in terms of gameplay, for the most part, though I can certainly see why a lot of people were put off by it. I'm very curious to see the "return to form" that Versus is supposed to embody, which supposedly was also created as a compromise when there was a creative difference in what 13 should be.

Grand Shriner
    FFXIII is easily one of the lowest sales in the final fantasy series,since its become a mainstream.

I am personally surprised ff8 sold so well in comparison to ff9,and i wonder if people didn't buy into ff9 as well because of ff9? or if some of it had to do with it being a return to the roots of the old style rpgs?

Shriner
    It's been my experience that 9 is the least-played on the psx era games, which is a shame- if I had to pick a favorite, that might actually be it.
    You're probably right, though, it was probably the homage to the NES/SNES era games, as well as the "cutesy" look some people thought it had.
    I also don't know if it received the same marketing in the US that 7 and 8 did. I don't recall ever seeing commercials for it like I did for every other numbered game since 7.

The thing that really made final fantasy for me was Nobuo Uematsu. I love the storylines of the older games that Sakaguchi provided, but the series isn't nearly as good without Nobuo Uematsu.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy X was the last game of the numbered series that isn't a sequel/prequel. X-2 was horrible. XI was an MMO and thus I don't consider it a Final Fantasy game. I thought FFXII was quite mediocre and the only redeeming thing about the game was Gilgamesh. I thought XIII was very mediocre. XIV is also an MMO, so I don't consider it a Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 was definitely a step in the right direction, and is much better to me than anything after X and is good enough for me to call it a final fantasy game, but it isn't as amazing as 1-10.

Shriner
    I love Uematsu, he was the first vgm composer I got into and remains a favorite, and when he beginning to depart the series I was upset by it, but I nonetheless feel that Sakimoto's Tactics and XII scores and Hamauzu's DoC and XIII scores are quite good, just sometimes in different ways (I think Sakimoto does environmental music as well as Uematsu, easily, but isn't as good with the narrative parts). Ultimately I find that the scores exist very independently of the games (DoC sucks, IMHO)... a bad one will tarnish a good game, but a good one will not save a bad game.

But I'm in a minority in my liking of XII and XIII anyway, so nevermind.

ff13-2 was a great game and hope square can keep it long , also hope for ff10 and ff7 is remade to hd ps3 versions

They won't. The great thing about final fantasy is that they aren't afraid to try new ideas even if they end up wacky like X-2. As long as they pump out new creative ideas, people won't get bored of it, and maybe a new generation of workers will totally change FF, but due to its legacy, the name will remain the same. I hope by the time i retire (im a student so ages away) I can play final fantasy 50 or something. That would be awesome.

Onion Kid
    Well Final Fantasy is really good, I will be glad check out the new stuff of the FF's. (Like Final Fantasy Versus XIII, or I should say Final Fantasy XV.)

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    ... The stench of fanboyism is strong in this thread...

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Grand Shriner
    Hi reaver.

Fanboyism of what games? 7 and X? XIII?

Anyways, i personally found XIII to be absolutely terrible as a game.Its too new also to tell if it will stand up the test of time, but i seriously doubt it would, because the game itself is linear as hell, and took out merchants and towns, two things that are very important.