Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to buy a PSP and get Final Fantasy I!

I've decided to buy a PSP and get Final Fantasy I!

I only have a very limited amount of time and money to spend on rpg's, so I have to be very careful in which rpg's I decide to play, and I also try to stay loyal to the teams I like best.

This fall I am beating:
    Final Fantasy XII
    Alundra 1
    Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

After I'm done with FF XI: RW I have time to beat some older rpg's that I haven't beaten yet. I did a lot of decision making and I decided to focus first on my favorite team, the main Final Fantasy team. I also decided that instead of beating some newer FF's which I haven't beaten yet, I would beat the very oldest ones which I haven't beaten yet, and would start from the beginning.

So after FF XII: RW I will beat
    Final Fantasy I(PSP)
    Final Fantasy II(PSP)
    Final Fantasy III(DS)

I'm excited about this because I never beat those ones before. I decided to beat either the original Nes version or the best remake, the PSP version. I chose PSP since the Nes version is very old now.

I'm happy with this decision! How long is the game, with and without sidequests?
    Recently beaten: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
    Will play next: Final Fantasy I-IV(PSP/DS)
    *Last Update 7-9-2008

Before you go out and buy a whole new system for just one game, it's probably worth noting that the PSP 'remakes' are exactly the same as the Dawn of Souls GBA remakes, just with higher resolution sprites with minor graphical changes and the opening FMV ripped from Origins that has nothing to do with anything but rather is just there to look pretty and can easily be found on YouTube. If you don't already own a PSP and do own a DS (as they can play GBA games) then there is virtually no reason to buy the PSP version, especially when the GBA version comes bundles with FFII as well and the PSP versions are packaged separately.

I think he's right, if you have a DS you might want to get FF Dawn of Souls as it has both FF I and II but I personally didn't find two to be that great.

But to answer your question, I quickly started up the game to check and it says I finished the final boss in 19:30 but I have another memory that continues after the other which I did more stuff on and that is 29:56. But some of that time was leveling up because in that memory I got all my people to level 99 which doesn't take as much efforts as other FF's.

To tell you the truth I don't remember any sidequests, I'm not saying there are none but if there are there is probably very little.

I forgot to mention that I'm also getting Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core for the PSP, so it'll be three games, plus more to come. I have interest in Jeanne D'Arc and there are more rpg's for PSP coming out later.

The DS has better rpg's than the PSP, I'm getting both. I'll get Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings this fall and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 next spring.

Hehe, the Psp is getting some great rpg's recently!
    Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Brave Story: New Traveler, Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Can they keep releasing games that fit my preferences I wonder?

Heck, get it, just for the sake of getting it. Another worthy addition to your Final Fantasy collection.

J. Peterman
    if u have some spare cash kfc has awesome buffalo snackers fyi

Who has this game?

Grand Shriner
    dont think its out on the psp yet

It came out in June in Usa

Jedi Master
    I want Crisis Core, hopefully it'll be as good as the original game. The only game I have on the PSP right now is Madden 2006 and that's beyond boring right now.

Crisis Core is made by a different team than the main FF team, who worked on X then X-2 then XIII. Crisis Core is the same team from FF VII: Before Crisis, FF Agito XIII and Kingdom Hearts: coded.

I'll be buying FF VII: Crisis Core but I give a higher personal preference to Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 in the spring.

For PSP rpg's, try also renting Brave Story: New Traveler and Jeanne D'Arc, along with FF 1 and FF 2 of course.

Just hack the hell out of it, download a GameBoy Advance emulator and play Down of Souls!!!

I have the FF Origins for the PS and have been quite impressed with its freshness and keeping true to the original FF for the NES. However, with all of the FF I, II, Bozo the Clown remakes that are being rapidly fired at us before we can complete all of the sidequests in FFXII, it's just like the whole FF7 spiel...but that's for a diff threa. Anyway I wouldn't get a psp for FF I & II and vice-versa, the only real differences are some newer monsters which they ripped from japanese FF3, and additional dungeons and bosses, and maybe some spells. I'm not knocking it, It's just not a purchase I would make.

I MAY just get FFT for the PSP...Balthier...hee-hee

Interesting that the first six game are being made roughly three times before we'll get the remake of Final Fantasy VII.

First we had...
    PS 1 - Final Fantasy Anthology - FF V, FF VI
    PS 1 - Final Fantasy Chronicles - FF IV, Chrono Trigger
    PS 1 - Final Fantasy Origins - FF I, FF II

Then they started over, on a handheld, which may suit these remakes better, and I don't think they were ready for a FF VII remake...
    GBA - Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls - FF I, FF II
    GBA - Final Fantasy IV
    GBA - Final Fantasy V
    GBA - Final Fantasy VI

Then they started another set of remakes, again, I don't think they felt ready to remake Final Fantasy VII yet. Also, FF III came out before the FF V and FF VI remakes on GBA...
    DS - Final Fantasy III
    PSP - Final Fantasy I
    PSP - Final Fantasy II
    DS - Final Fantasy IV(upcoming)
    ...I think they'll announce DS remakes for FF V and FF VI next year and then hopefully a FF VII remake will come out. Although my favorite game is FF VI.

You are getting Final Fantasy Tactics A2, so am I. Are you getting Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions(I've beaten the original already and not sure if I have time/money to beat this remake right now), or Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(I'm buying this the day it comes out!

Grand Shriner
    anyone know when this will be out in the uk?

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    I didn't find any info on a planned UK release date there. The game has been out for a long time in Japan and Usa. I am not sure if there are plans to release this game in the UK. Maybe you can import the USA version?

Grand Shriner
    thats a bit of a bummer, loved it on the GBA, just have to import it then

This is my just my guess though. Research for more info on this.

Games to beat this fall: Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Alundra 1

Games to beat early next year: Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III

Games to beat next spring: Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Paddybee, what games on my lists do you like?

EDIT:
    My priority for games to beat is for my "Team 1"(Main Final Fantasy team) and "Team 2"(Yasumi Matsuno team[Includes only five games and the four remakes of four of the five games]. I should add to my list of games to beat next spring these ones: Final Fantasy IV(DS), Ogre Battle(PS 1), Tactics Ogre(PS 1), and Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP).

I think as far as old rpg's I want to beat early next year. Instead of playing all the Team 1 games and then all the Team 2 games I listed, I'll just switch off between them. Something like this...

Final Fantasy I(PSP)
    Ogre Battle(PS 1)
    Final Fantasy II(PSP)
    Tactics Ogre(PS 1)
    Final Fantasy III(DS)
    Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP)
    Final Fantasy IV(DS)

I'd have more time if I end up skipping Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 next spring, but that's unlikely. Also, I've decided to save myself some hassle in another way. Some games are going to be rereleased within the next few years so instead of me beating the originals I'll just wait to beat the new ones. Prime examples of this are Final Fantasy V(DS), Chrono Trigger, and Vagrant Story. Not all of these are announced but they probably will be. This will give me time to beat some older rpg's I haven't beaten that aren't coming out soon as remakes. I'll also have time to beat the top new rpg's, like Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Here's the main teams I follow:
    Team 1(Main Final Fantasy team, including Final Fantasy XIII)
    Team 1.5a(Compilation of Final Fantasy VII titles, Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals, including Final Fantasy Agito XIII, possibly Kingdom Hearts: Coded)
    Team 1.5b(Tetsuya Nomura's Kingdom Hearts games, including Final Fantasy Versus XIII, possibly Kingdom Hearts: Coded)
    Team 2(Yasumi Matsuno team. Five games plus the four remakes)
    Team 2.5a(Extra Ogre games not by Yasumi Matsuno, 3 titles)
    Team 2.5b(Extra Ivalice games not by Yasumi Matsuno, 3 titles)
    Team 3(Chrono/Xenogears team, 4 titles)
    Team 3.5a(Final Fantasy XI and expansion packs)
    Team 3.5b(Xenosaga 1-3)
    Team 4(The Legend of Zelda team, including the Flagship developed titles)
    Team 5(Mistwalker)
    Team 6(Front Mission)

I don't necesarily play all games from all of the teams but I follow them and some of them are spinoffs of some of the main teams so I listed them, even though some aren't as important to me. Right now my priority is Team 1 and Team 2. I want to beat tons of these old rpg's before the three Final Fantasy XIII titles come out and dominate my life for months!

I came, I saw, I levelled up. FF1WithAllThieves's Avatar
    I would like to recommend the original NES version if it is possible for you to attain it. The Dawn of Souls version and all others thereafter are far too easy; mages using the MP system instead of spells-per-day, buying items that can revive characters, ethers, and being able to save on the world map with no tent, cabin, or house are all new features that they added. I know these all seem like a given in a Final Fantasy game, but trust me, FFI is far too easy with all of these "upgrades," and they destroy the archaic character of the game, which provides a great deal of enjoyment in the first place.
    Johannes Brahms is God.

Ok, I'll take this into consideration. Gargh! I'm always looking forward too much to the future. I'm currently playing Eternal Sonata and almost finished with it but my thoughts are focused on future games I will play: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP), and Final Fantasy XIII.

I don't think I'll be completely happy until the day that Final Fantasy XIII comes out, I'm excited!

Also, have you played the new versions of FF II and FF III? What do you think of the upcoming version of FF IV coming out? It'll probably be out in the first three months of 2008 in Usa. Eventually they'll announce DS remakes for FF V and FF VI I think. Maybe a FF VII remake can be a few years down the line. I'm not sure if the remake would be for DS or PS 3 or maybe both?

buy the ps gamessss

The PSP versions are way worth it. I picked them up, which was the first time I had ever played these games, and they were very enjoyable.

i would have buyed the psp games. i played ff1 for myself and it's realy cool

I've just beaten both I & II(after all the time was spent playing them)on PSP and I've really enjoyed them, considering it's my first time playing the series.

MC,Gamer,Student,日本がす& Arkhetype's Avatar
    Main Teams to follow - Castlvania(DS&PSP), Suikoden(PSP), Zelda(DS), Breath of Fire(PSP), then Final Fantasy(DS&PSP).